Jerick McKinnon Thread

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
Bad News Barrett
MVP
MVP

Jerick McKinnon Thread

Postby Bad News Barrett » Tue May 27, 2014 7:27 am

Am I crazy to think this guy could be one of the best RBs in this class? As a Peterson owner, I'm definitely looking to pick him up in my league.

I know combine results aren't the end all, but the kid is strong and pretty fast. He is going to learn from one of the best RBs of all time. With a team set to win now and no chance of getting a Hyde/Sankey/Mason since I have no picks until the late second, is it crazy to throw a reach out in the late 2nd to snag this guy?
Finally on Twitter @dynastybarrett

"I'm afraid I've got some bad news"

breeze
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Re: Jerick McKinnon

Postby breeze » Tue May 27, 2014 7:36 am

Crazy? No. All rookie picks are risky especially after the first round. I just wouldn't be surprised if he never got a shot at the lead back spot. He is a phenomenal athlete. It would not surprise me if they tried to play him at a different position since he is so athletic. I believe I read somewhere that he used to play corner as well as quartberback. Also, Gurley and Gordon are coming out next year, if they were to drop farther than expected, I would not shock me if almost every NFL team was interested in them regardless of their current roster. Those guys could be superstars, so I wouldn't discount the Vikes getting another big name RB next year.
Twitter: @BreezeIDP

Falim
Rookie
Rookie

Re: Jerick McKinnon

Postby Falim » Tue May 27, 2014 8:41 am

His measurable a from the combine are off the charts but football wise he's going to need some work. His tape isn't particularly impressive. I grabbed him in the 3rd so here's hoping.
12 team startup, 1QB, 2WR, 2RB, 1TE, 2FLEX, DST, K
Scoring: 1pt PPR, 6pt TD passing, 1pt per 20yd passing
QB - Brees, Glennon, Manuel, Garoppola
RB - AP, Ball, Gore, L. Murray, Bolden, Asiata, C.J. Anderson, LaMichael James, K. Carey, McKinnon
WR - DT, Garcon, R. White, Wayne, Baldwin, Cooper, Boykin, J. Matthews, Gallon
TE - J. Thomas, Ertz, Lyerla
DST- Seattle

dlf_brucem
Role Player
Role Player

Jerrick McKinnon

Postby dlf_brucem » Tue Jun 03, 2014 12:53 pm

What your thoughts on this guy? I keep getting him late in my rookie drafts. I got him in rd 5 the other day. He has incredible combine stats.
Follow Me on Twitter https://twitter.com/Bmatz08

My Dynasty Fantasy Football YouTube Channel [youtube]https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCFP5Q9 ... subscriber[/youtube]

RavingLunatic
Starter
Starter

Re: Jerrick McKinnon

Postby RavingLunatic » Tue Jun 03, 2014 2:24 pm

My 2nd round target in all drafts. Got brutally sniped in one league by a trade at 2.12 when he was about to fall to me at pick 37 (2.13 in a 24 team league)... I was devastated and it was without fail the worst I have ever been sniped in a draft. I couldn't be mad at the guy, but I really wanted to throw my mouse through my monitor as I had been waiting all day and trying unsuccessfully to trade up, and he was still about to fall to me (I was 99.9% sure the original pick's owner wasn't going to take him). In the end I just said eff it and traded 2.13 for a pick further back in the 2nd and got an extra 3rd round pick. Worked out ok, but I'm still pissed. It's that conflicting feeling where you have a guy on one team so you really hope he does well, but since you couldn't get him in another league a part of you hopes he's a bust lol.

jaruss02
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby jaruss02 » Tue Jun 03, 2014 3:42 pm

I like him. Tried to nab him with FAAB, but someone unloaded a big chunk of money for him. Unfortunately he has a monumental learning curve and probably won't be productive anytime soon - especially with AP playing like he has been his whole career. His college offense was the furthest thing from a NFL offense. He will have to learn pass blocking.

John Paul
Role Player
Role Player

Postby John Paul » Tue Jun 03, 2014 6:04 pm

If he can get Harvin-type touches...
10 Team PPR Dynasty (2012 Startup) 2018 1st 2019 2nd 2021 2nd

QB: Matt Stafford(Trade '22), Kirk Cousins(Trade '22), Baker Mayfield(Trade '22)
RB: Jonathan Taylor(Trade '21), ETN(trade '22), Breece Hall(1.02 '22), Deon Jackson (WW '23), Michael Carter (trade '23)
WR: Drake London (Trade '23), Jahan Dotson (Trade "23), Allen Robinson (Trade '22), Brandin Cooks (Trade '23), John Metchie III(2.02 "23), Rondale Moore(Trade '21), Kyle Philips(4.05 '22), Curtis Samuel (Trade '23)
TE: Kyle Pitts(Trade '22), Logan Thomas (WW "23)
LB: Logan Wilson (WW '22), Zaire Franklin (WW'23), Matt Judon (WW '23)
DB: M Fitzpatrick (WW '22), I Simmons (WW "23), Jamal Adams (WW "23)
DL: Chase Young(3.08/'20), Aidan Hutchinson (WW "23)

2023: 1.05, 1.06, 1.07, 1.08, 2.04
2024: 1, 1, 1, 2, 2
2025: 1, 1, 1, 2, 2

Jimmy Jones
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby Jimmy Jones » Tue Jun 03, 2014 7:21 pm

RavingLunatic wrote:My 2nd round target in all drafts. Got brutally sniped in one league by a trade at 2.12 when he was about to fall to me at pick 37 (2.13 in a 24 team league)... I was devastated and it was without fail the worst I have ever been sniped in a draft. I couldn't be mad at the guy, but I really wanted to throw my mouse through my monitor as I had been waiting all day and trying unsuccessfully to trade up, and he was still about to fall to me (I was 99.9% sure the original pick's owner wasn't going to take him). In the end I just said eff it and traded 2.13 for a pick further back in the 2nd and got an extra 3rd round pick. Worked out ok, but I'm still pissed. It's that conflicting feeling where you have a guy on one team so you really hope he does well, but since you couldn't get him in another league a part of you hopes he's a bust lol.
This is one if the best posts I've ever seen on this site. It's up there with one of WaterBuffalo's when he unloaded on DLFiend. It may just be that you play in a 24 teamer where way more guys are roster worthy, but I love how adamant you are on getting this guy that most people overlook. Maybe he is a hidden gem. Kind of reminds me of Denard Robinson but a little more rounded for the NFL. I'll have to look into him further, any chance he has enough upside to ever be a starter in a 10 teamer?
The Green Bay Packers
10 Team Superflex, Pass Heavy Scoring
1QB, 1QB/RB/WR/TE, 2RB, 3WR, 1TE, 1Def, 1K
Passing: 2pt/20yds 5pt/TD; Rushing/Receiving: 2pt/10yds; 1PPR

QB's: ARod, Rivers, Sanchez, Manziel, Mallett, Mettenberger
RB's: Charles, Lacy, Ellington, Oliver, Davis, Starks, CMike
WR's: Julio, Maclin, Sanders, Watkins, Crabtree, Patterson, Quick
TE's: Graham, Kelce, ASJ

RavingLunatic
Starter
Starter

Postby RavingLunatic » Wed Jun 04, 2014 11:22 am

That I don't know. I think 10-teamers are usually too stacked to really stash players. If you had AP I could definitely see it.

Titus Young's Lawyer
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Jerick Mckinnon, poor man's C.Michael?

Postby Titus Young's Lawyer » Tue Jun 17, 2014 6:21 am

McKinnon is an combine hero with great athleticism that transitioned from option QB to RB. He needs some polish at RB but will be able to learn behind AP for the next few years. Should he be getting more consideration as a high-ceiling player that will be a hold for 2 years? He is almost invisible in rookie drafts despite being drafted in the 3rd round this year.
Last edited by Titus Young's Lawyer on Tue Jun 17, 2014 12:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
12 Team Dynasty IDP PPR (Yr.7)
QB-Stafford
RBChubb,MixonJ.White
WRK.Allen, Golladay, Lazard, M.WilliamsIsabella,
TE-Ebron,Gesicki,Irv Smith
DL-Short
DE-Dunlap,L.Williams
LB-Kwon,Mosley,Shaq
CB+S-Bell,Thomas

Hjorimir
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Re: Jerick Mckinnon, poor man's C.Michael?

Postby Hjorimir » Tue Jun 17, 2014 6:23 am

Physical freak, but he needs to learn a whole lot. 3rd round feels right given the depth at WR this year.
The Great Old Ones
10-team PPR (1-QB, 2-RB, 3-WR, 1-TE, 1-D/ST, 1-K)
QB: Dak, Tua, Mac, Mills (bleh)
RB: Gordon, Drake, Perine, RoJo II, Dillon, Coleman, Sermon, Ingram, Mitchell, Barber, JJ, Bolden
WR: Kupp, DJM, Chase, Jeudy, AJG, OBJ, Shepard, Mecole, Parris, Osborn
TE: Knox, Engram,
D/ST: NE
K: Zuerlein

The Blues Brothers
10-team PPR (1-QB, 1-RB, 2-WR, 1-TE, 2-RB/WR/TE, 3-IDP, 1-K)
QB: Dak, Herbert, Hurts, Bridgewater, Winston, Wentz, Heinicke
RB: Zeke, Cook, Mixon, Moss/Singletary, McKinnon, Gio, Rhamondre, Evans, Roundtree
WR: Kupp, Adams, Nuk, Evans, Ruggs III, Sammy, Guyton, Palmer
TE: Logan, Henry, Engram, Cook, Tremble
IDP: Demario, Bush, Mosley, Jewell, Poyer, Derwin, Vander Esch

Krang
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Krang » Tue Jun 17, 2014 11:42 am

Hjorimir wrote:Physical freak, but he needs to learn a whole lot. 3rd round feels right given the depth at WR this year.
Yeah, I'm sort of in this boat with Mckinnon. It's easy to get excited about the "freakish" athletes, but I wouldn't let the pure athleticism sway your thought process when drafting him. There have been plenty of freak athletes over the years to completely flame out. He might be worth a stash in deeper leagues, even if only because the Vikings really have nothing else behind AP at this point if he goes down again.

heydangle
All Pro
All Pro

Postby heydangle » Tue Jun 17, 2014 12:33 pm

I was amazed at what he could do from the QB position on runs- I can't wait to see what he can do as a RB, 7 yards deep. I wouldn't expect anything for a couple years, but if he can make the transition.. look out. yeah, high-ceiling, worth a 3rd round pick easily, for that upside.

7roundsinapril
Combine Attendee
Combine Attendee

Postby 7roundsinapril » Sat Jul 26, 2014 6:13 am

He was my #1 rookie target in dynasty leagues this year and I landed him in 12/13 $$ leagues. To get a prospect this good in the late 2nd or 3rd round of rookie drafts is a rare opportunity IMO.

Best comps are Tiki Barber (probably - missing some data) and Ray Rice (with better measurables). I expect him to fly up the rankings as people see what he looks like on an NFL field.

And, sure enough...
Jerick McKinnon astonished in these drills, and he looks every bit the physical phenom the Vikings drafted. Not only is he fluid in everything he does, it comes naturally and without the problem of reducing his speed. His burst and speed were obvious on the field, too, and occasionally he looked like he was playing a different game than others because of it.
Draft him if you can. At current prices it doesn't even matter much if he misses.

Titus Young's Lawyer
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby Titus Young's Lawyer » Sat Jul 26, 2014 9:00 am

I have been singing his praises so far too. Had he went to a RB needy team his stock would have been through the roof with his combine workout. That being said AP is the only good RB on the team so McKinnon could get work this season. Once again, I see him as Christine Michael 2.0