Jerick McKinnon Thread

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
joeylitz
Role Player
Role Player

Re: Jerick Mckinnon

Postby joeylitz » Sun Apr 29, 2018 5:36 am

McKinnon owner here. I don’t have much to add to the conversation yet, but I like the lottery ticket I’ve been holding on to and think I’ll hold onto it a bit longer. Went to the Chip the last two years and I think a solid-to-great McKinnon helps me get back to the big game more than a rookie I could get at 1.09 or thereabouts.
2016 Frozen Tundra Dynasty League Champions
12 Team Dynasty, PPR, 1QB-2RB-3WR-1TE-1FLEX-1PK-1DST

QB: Brees. Wentz, Winston, Rudolph
RB: L. Bell, J. Conner, Michel. McKinnon, L. Miller, Montgomery, T. Riddick, Prosise, J. Conner,
WR: A. Robinson, Woods, M. Jones, Godwin, Boyd, Crabtree, Moncrief, Gabriel, C. Henderson, J. Washington, J. Moore
TE: D. Walker. Hooper, I. Thomas
K: Elliott
DST: DEN. KC

Draft:
1.08: Hockenson
2.08: JAWS
3.08:

WhatWouldDitkaDo
GOAT
GOAT

Postby WhatWouldDitkaDo » Sun Apr 29, 2018 9:31 pm

Pullo Vision wrote: Sat Apr 28, 2018 9:38 pm
eraldo_coil wrote: Sat Apr 28, 2018 8:57 pm I was surprised the Niners didn't take Scarborough late in the 6th round. I guess McKinnon's already overvalued price tag just got a bit more expensive now.
What would you prefer straight up, 1.9 or McKinnon?
McKinnon >>> 1.09
I may prefer McKinnon > 1.02.
Kittles Pox | Championships: 2015, 2017
12-Team PPR | QB, 2RB, 2WR, TE, W/R/T, K, DST
QB: Kyler Murray, Aaron Rodgers
RB: Christian McCaffrey, Melvin Gordon, James Conner, Phillip Lindsay, Tevin Coleman, Boston Scott, Benny Snell Jr.
WR: Tyreek Hill, Mike Evans, Cooper Kupp, Michael Gallup, Christian Kirk
TE: George Kittle, Travis Kelce | K: Younghoe Koo | DST: SF
PS: Mecole Hardman, Tony Pollard | 2020 Picks: 1.09, 2.10, 3.03 | 2021 Picks: 1st, 2nd

Riffraff
Charter Member
Charter Member

Postby Riffraff » Sun Apr 29, 2018 10:52 pm

WhatWouldDitkaDo wrote: Sun Apr 29, 2018 9:31 pm
eraldo_coil wrote: Sat Apr 28, 2018 8:57 pm I was surprised the Niners didn't take Scarborough late in the 6th round. I guess McKinnon's already overvalued price tag just got a bit more expensive now.
McKinnon >>> 1.09
I understand the gamble of 1.09 vs Shanny daydreams, but...

You might prefer a guy, in 4 years of effort, could not beat out Asiata, an old/injured Peterson that lost out to 2 RBs in NO, an injured LMurray, and couldn't hold off Cook for even 1 preseason.... over a guy (pick one) that is guaranteed starting time and hasn't failed multiple times? Interesting...

eraldo_coil
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby eraldo_coil » Mon Apr 30, 2018 10:20 am

Riffraff wrote: Sun Apr 29, 2018 10:52 pm
WhatWouldDitkaDo wrote: Sun Apr 29, 2018 9:31 pm
McKinnon >>> 1.09
I understand the gamble of 1.09 vs Shanny daydreams, but...

You might prefer a guy, in 4 years of effort, could not beat out Asiata, an old/injured Peterson that lost out to 2 RBs in NO, an injured LMurray, and couldn't hold off Cook for even 1 preseason.... over a guy (pick one) that is guaranteed starting time and hasn't failed multiple times? Interesting...
The arguments you're making against McKinnon are, quite frankly, getting tired and have been addressed many many times before. I won't go into here as there are plenty of other threads that offer those reasonable counterarguments, but given the fact that the 49ers didn't take a RB in the draft AT ALL speaks volumes to what McKinnon's role will likely be heading into the season.

There's always a chance the Niners pick up a FA, but none that I think would significantly impact McKinnon's role. I agree with you that 1.02 is a little much, but I don't think i'm taking anything less than 1.04 for McKinnon at this point. Even then, I'd have a hard time pulling the trigger as his role seems more defined since the draft has all shaken out. McKinnon is a solid hold right now.
Team 1
12-team, 0.5 PPR, SuperFlex, TE Premium (+0.5 PPR) | 1QB, 2RB, 2WR, 1TE, 3FLEX, 1SF

QB: Hurts, Herbert, Cousins, Purdy
RB: Taylor, Barkley, Swift, Mixon, N.Harris, Hunt, Dobbins
WR: Jefferson, Adams, Metcalf, Godwin, Ridley, Lockett, Cooks
TE: Kittle, Njoku, Gesicki

Team 2
12-team, PPR | 1QB, 2RB, 2WR, 1TE, 2FLEX

QB: Wilson, Jones
RB: Robinson, Gibbs, Mixon, Sanders, R. White
WR: Lamb, Godwin, Lockett, Addison, D. Johnson, Meyers, Campbell, R. Moore
TE: Kincaid, Dulcich, Fant

Dynasty DeLorean
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Dynasty DeLorean » Mon Apr 30, 2018 10:32 am

Here's an interesting exercise for determining whether or not to put a premium price on a player. If said player gets hurt, is he virtually guaranteed the same role next year. I don't think you can say that with any degree of certainty for McKinnon, and so therefor I would not put a premium price on him. And by premium price I mean roughly an early-mid 1st, depending on how the draft class shakes out.

Valhalla
Legend
Legend

Postby Valhalla » Mon Apr 30, 2018 11:07 am

Dynasty DeLorean wrote: Mon Apr 30, 2018 10:32 am Here's an interesting exercise for determining whether or not to put a premium price on a player. If said player gets hurt, is he virtually guaranteed the same role next year. I don't think you can say that with any degree of certainty for McKinnon, and so therefor I would not put a premium price on him. And by premium price I mean roughly an early-mid 1st, depending on how the draft class shakes out.
I get your point, but, aside from the anomaly years, most years have mid-firsts being spent on 3rd-4th round RBs. Those guys are not guaranteed their role against injury, either...yet they're worth what you define as a premium price (an early to mid-first) as that's what many drafters typically get at those draft slots. So even if McKinnon isn't guaranteed against injury to regain his role, neither is your common mid-1st (in a rookie draft, not NLF mid-first) RB...

Dynasty DeLorean
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Dynasty DeLorean » Mon Apr 30, 2018 11:09 am

Valhalla wrote: Mon Apr 30, 2018 11:07 am
Dynasty DeLorean wrote: Mon Apr 30, 2018 10:32 am Here's an interesting exercise for determining whether or not to put a premium price on a player. If said player gets hurt, is he virtually guaranteed the same role next year. I don't think you can say that with any degree of certainty for McKinnon, and so therefor I would not put a premium price on him. And by premium price I mean roughly an early-mid 1st, depending on how the draft class shakes out.
I get your point, but, aside from the anomaly years, most years have mid-firsts being spent on 3rd-4th round RBs. Those guys are not guaranteed their role against injury, either...yet they're worth what you define as a premium price (an early to mid-first) as that's what many drafters typically get at those draft slots. So even if McKinnon isn't guaranteed against injury to regain his role, neither is your common mid-1st (in a rookie draft, not NLF mid-first) RB...
Yes I mostly agree with that. It would vary with the draft class. By premium pick/mid-1st I would mean... roughly a top 6 pick, again depending on the draft class. This year I count about 6 RB's based on skill, situation and draft capital I would bet on over McKinnon. 1.09 > McKinnon for a contender I completely understand.
Last edited by Dynasty DeLorean on Mon Apr 30, 2018 11:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Mon Apr 30, 2018 11:09 am

Valhalla wrote: Mon Apr 30, 2018 11:07 am
X2.
"You're a creep. You got caught.." -Dan Patrick

Jfever
Legend
Legend

Postby Jfever » Mon Apr 30, 2018 12:41 pm

DD, If ya don't mind my asking, who are the 6 running backs from this class that you are betting on over McKinnon? Fwiw, I don't see 3 that I would bet on to outproduce McKinnon in ppr scoring. * All 6 of my leagues are ppr.
Truth is found through Evidence.

Science is the poetry of reality.

* Reality (as defined by Webster's dictionary) - A word for things as they actually exist, as opposed to an idealistic or notional ideal of them.

Dynasty DeLorean
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Dynasty DeLorean » Mon Apr 30, 2018 1:05 pm

JFever wrote: Mon Apr 30, 2018 12:41 pm DD, If ya don't mind my asking, who are the 6 running backs from this class that you are betting on over McKinnon? Fwiw, I don't see 3 that I would bet on to outproduce McKinnon in ppr scoring. * All 6 of my leagues are ppr.
Going down the list in no particular order, Barkley, Guice, Rojo, Michel, Penny and Chubb. That's not set in stone, I have barely watched tape on anyone this year so far. But that's a rough estimate just based on the other factors at play. It's not to say I love all those players, but just given the nature of their draft pedigree and situation they will be given a longer leash than McKinnon. Again, it's not who I think will outscore McKinnon this year assuming full health. Trying to decipher who will outscore whom by how much in any individual year is not something I'm particularly interested in doing. It's who will likely have the same or similar opportunity as McKinnon this year as well as next year and beyond if they were to get injured or suffer some other unfortunate fate. In 4 years McKinnon has not proven to be "the guy", and when you're not "the guy" the team will continually try to bring in a guy that can be "the guy." I guess you could say I'm a risk-adverse dynasty player. I wouldn't want to go on that ride if I could get any of the players I just mentioned. That's just how I see it and play dynasty. I'm not continually chasing the boom, i'm continually trying to avoid the bust.

ManhattanProject
Rookie
Rookie

Postby ManhattanProject » Mon Apr 30, 2018 2:23 pm

Dynasty DeLorean wrote: Mon Apr 30, 2018 1:05 pm I'm not continually chasing the boom, i'm continually trying to avoid the bust.
My new dynasty motto.

ImaRounder
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby ImaRounder » Mon Apr 30, 2018 2:49 pm

ManhattanProject wrote: Mon Apr 30, 2018 2:23 pm
Dynasty DeLorean wrote: Mon Apr 30, 2018 1:05 pm I'm not continually chasing the boom, i'm continually trying to avoid the bust.
My new dynasty motto.
Maybe the best dynasty quote ever

_yeti
All Pro
All Pro

Postby _yeti » Mon Apr 30, 2018 3:16 pm

Dynasty DeLorean wrote: Mon Apr 30, 2018 1:05 pm In 4 years McKinnon has not proven to be "the guy", and when you're not "the guy" the team will continually try to bring in a guy that can be "the guy."
You mean... what San Francisco did right now with McKinnon? Bringing him in to be "the guy?"

I get you are knocking him for not seizing the role in MN but that is one organization and I held him in the hopes he would be given a bigger role past his rookie contract. Also, it was an organization in flux with a much different offensive philosophy than this new SF team. You're both knocking him but then giving credit to the idea of a team bringing in someone new to be "the guy."

We get it, he isn't 22. If he gets injured year one of being brought in to be the guy it tanks his value. But until then, by your own words, some credence has to be given to someone brought in to be "the guy."
Remember where you are - this is Thunderdome.
*5 leagues (est. 2015, '17, '18, '18, '22, 6 total 'ships)

12 Team SF, PPR, TE Prem., DT prem., IDP Start 10, QB, 1SF, 2-4 RB, 2-5 WR, 1-3 TE, 2DL, 2LB, 2DB, 1 IDPflex
QB: J. Fields, B. Mayfield, G. Smith, M. Mariota, S. Darnold
RB: T. Etienne, T. Pollard, S. Barkley, J.Jacobs A. Jones, , A. Gibson, D. Harris, Z. Moss, E. Elliott
WR: G. Wilson, T. Higgins, T. McLaurin C. Kirk, D. Hopkins, K. Toney. K. Osborn, M. Hardman
TE: T.J. Hockenson, K. Pitts, H. Henry
DL: M. Parsons, Q. Williams, D. Buckner, R. Gary
LB: F. Oluokun, R. Smith, A. Anzalone. L. David
DB: B. Baker, J. Metellus, R. Grant

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Mon Apr 30, 2018 3:27 pm

Dynasty DeLorean wrote: Mon Apr 30, 2018 1:05 pm
JFever wrote: Mon Apr 30, 2018 12:41 pm DD, If ya don't mind my asking, who are the 6 running backs from this class that you are betting on over McKinnon? Fwiw, I don't see 3 that I would bet on to outproduce McKinnon in ppr scoring. * All 6 of my leagues are ppr.
Going down the list in no particular order, Barkley, Guice, Rojo, Michel, Penny and Chubb. That's not set in stone, I have barely watched tape on anyone this year so far. But that's a rough estimate just based on the other factors at play. It's not to say I love all those players, but just given the nature of their draft pedigree and situation they will be given a longer leash than McKinnon. Again, it's not who I think will outscore McKinnon this year assuming full health. Trying to decipher who will outscore whom by how much in any individual year is not something I'm particularly interested in doing. It's who will likely have the same or similar opportunity as McKinnon this year as well as next year and beyond if they were to get injured or suffer some other unfortunate fate. In 4 years McKinnon has not proven to be "the guy", and when you're not "the guy" the team will continually try to bring in a guy that can be "the guy." I guess you could say I'm a risk-adverse dynasty player. I wouldn't want to go on that ride if I could get any of the players I just mentioned. That's just how I see it and play dynasty. I'm not continually chasing the boom, i'm continually trying to avoid the bust.
Then stay away from Rojo. :lol:
"You're a creep. You got caught.." -Dan Patrick

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Cameron Giles » Mon Apr 30, 2018 3:52 pm

I agree with this. Every year there's multiple RB's who people insist aren't being overvalued due to situation. Ty Montgomery was the popular one last year. He got hurt, lost his job to Aaron Jones...who got hurt and lost his job to Jamaal Williams. McKinnon is an average RB being propped up by a fantastic situation and opportunity. His saving grace is that the 49ers overpaid and are clearly invested in him. I'm interested to see how he does, but I'd be terrified of paying the price of a 1.02 right now for him.