Thoughts on Mark Andrews

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
Flgatorguy87
Role Player
Role Player

Re: Why Mark Andrew's will finish 2020 as the #1 dynasty TE

Postby Flgatorguy87 » Mon May 11, 2020 12:49 pm

I read something on him around this time last year than convinced me he was going to breakout, so in my 2 TE league I got him for MVS straight up. I managed to be early on Kittle as well, so Kittle and Andrews are my starters.

I'll say the next guy I bought at TE is non other than his ex-teammate Hayden Hurst. I sent Breida and a 4th for Hurst and a 3rd to a rebuilding team. Could be a pick swap of 20ish spots if we finish how I think. I also think Hurst has some breakout potential. Let's see if I can go 3/3 on my buy early windows for TE.
Last edited by Flgatorguy87 on Mon May 11, 2020 1:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SF PPR 30 man roster 5 taxi 2 IR
QB, 3WR, 2RB, 2TE, 2FLEX , Superflex

A. Rodgers, J. Goff, D. Lock, Ta. Hill

O. Beckham, Antonio Brown, M. Evans, A. Robinson, S. Diggs, C. Sutton, T. Boyd, Jakobi Meyers, S. Sims Jr., Darius Slayton

S. Barkley, Da. Cook, Cam Akers, JK Dobbins, R. Penny, Ronald Jones, W. Gallman, Duke Johnson, AJ Dillon, Darrynton Evans, DeeJay Dallas, L. Perine

G. Kittle, M. Andrews, H. Hurst

Taxi: R. Armstead, Joe Reed, L. Bowden Jr., I. Coulter, Scotty Miller

2021 - 1st, 2nd, 2nd, 3rd, 5th

CGW
Legend
Legend

Postby CGW » Mon May 11, 2020 1:31 pm

Andrews may not be quite as athletic, but if you've watched him play he's pretty impressive. I am purely basing this off eye test, but kittle looks quicker and faster, while Andrews looks stronger and plays bigger. His strength really reminds me of early Gronk, routinely plowing through defenders. May not be good for his longevity, but neither of these guys has a clean slate with injuries.

I'm all for Andrews at TE1. He was a preseason waiver add for me in all of my leagues. Realistically, I think he is more in the 2-5 range after Kittle, but his price seems to be much lower than Kittle in the drafts I've seen.

Sternberg and Hurst are two TE I like to breakout. Hurst in 2020, Sternberg over 2020-21.
12 Team | SF | PPR | 6pt pass TD
QB, RB, RB, WR, WR, WR, TE, FL, SF

QB | Murray, Prescott
RB | Jeff Wilson, Pierre-Strong
WR | Adams, Olave, ARSB, Dotson, Addison
TE | Andrews, Otton, Bellinger, Likely, Okonkwo
2024 | 1st 2025 | 1stx3, 2nd, 3rdx2

10 Team | SF | PPR
QB, RB, RB, WR, WR, WR, TE, FL, SF

QB | Murray, Tagovailoa, Stroud
RB | Montgomery, Swift, Dobbins, Singletary, Jamaal Williams, R. White, Davis-Price, Herbert, Miller
WR | Godwin, AJB, Lamb, D. Johnson, M. Brown, Mooney, Kirk, J. Williams, Skyy Moore, Watson
TE | Andrews, Bellinger, Dulcich
2024 | 1st, 2nd, 3rd

12 Team | SF | PPR | 1.5TEP | 6pt pass TD
QB, RB, RB, WR, WR, WR, TE, FL, FL, SF

QB | Herbert, Love, Young, Lance
RB | ETN, Pacheco, Ford, Warren
WR | ARSB, Wilson, Olave, DK, Flowers, Collins, Downs
TE | Hockenson, Dulcich, Likely, Otton
2024 | 2nd, 3rdx3, 4th

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Cameron Giles » Mon May 11, 2020 1:41 pm

You always have to ask yourself a simple question: Which TEs have the clearest path to dominating a high percentage of targets in the most high octane offenses?

Mark Andrews certainly belongs on this list:

1. Travis Kelce: 136 targets, 24.3% share
2. Mark Andrews: 98 targets, 23.1% share
3. George Kittle: 107 targets, 22.9% share
4. Zach Ertz: 135 targets, 22.3% share

It's easily one of those 4 with Darren Waller as a darkhorse.

I don't think I would say Andrews, because he plays on a team that's going to pass for the least amount of yards. I'm going with Kelce as the safe bet, who remains in an elite situation as an elite talent. Also, I'd be buying Ertz if anyone is worried about his decline last year.

Sriracha
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Sriracha » Mon May 11, 2020 2:29 pm

ericanadian wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 12:32 pm I don’t really buy into the direct idea that increase in snap count percentage will translate directly to increased production percentage. A lot of those missed snaps were running plays where the TEs were brought in to block. That said, there is some reason to expect increased stats with the increased snaps and I would think it reasonable to expect that to offset this point below and maybe get him a bit of a boost beyond that, but not sure he’s going to put up the TE1 numbers. Keep in mind that Kittle had some massive regression from his peak in 2018 last year and could end up somewhere between 2018 & 2019 in 2020.
Vcize wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 11:45 am I like Andrews a lot but I do not think it should be overlooked that his numbers regressed significantly once teams realized he was the TE to worry about rather than Hurst.

He had 100+ yards and 8 receptions in each of his first 2 games (against the two worst teams in the league at defending TEs to boot). He never reached 100 yards nor 8 receptions in a game the entire rest of the season.
I think teams realized that he was the TE to worry about in 2018. I think your point about him playing the two worst teams in the league is more relevant.

He did also get to 99 yards in week 6 and 93 yards in week 15. I suspect many TEs put up their best numbers against Arizona last year. Not sure why it matters that it happened in week one for Andrews.
~Ding ding ding~

I was a massive Mark Andrews fan coming into 2019; tried to acquire him everywhere before he blew up-- but I did this knowing he wasn't quite on the level of Kelce/Kittle and never will be. His fantasy output is a mesh of him being a relatively dynamic athlete at his size + a lack of target competition in BAL. Luckily he survived another draft with the only WR the Ravens added being Duvernay, but he's still a guy who's market share will be strongly impacted by the receivers around him.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that he's not an elite TE -- he absolutely is. But if you can get Kittle prices for him, that's what I'd consider selling high.

DJB
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby DJB » Mon May 11, 2020 4:13 pm

IZigUZag wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 2:29 pm I was a massive Mark Andrews fan coming into 2019; tried to acquire him everywhere before he blew up-- but I did this knowing he wasn't quite on the level of Kelce/Kittle and never will be. His fantasy output is a mesh of him being a relatively dynamic athlete at his size + a lack of target competition in BAL. Luckily he survived another draft with the only WR the Ravens added being Duvernay, but he's still a guy who's market share will be strongly impacted by the receivers around him.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that he's not an elite TE -- he absolutely is. But if you can get Kittle prices for him, that's what I'd consider selling high.
What I'm suggesting though is that you can still buy Andrew's at TE3 prices and he could return as the TE1 at the end of 2020.

At which point if you wanted to sell him I'd fully endorse that.

I do think in terms of pure talent he is behind Ertz, Kittle, Kelce etc. But it's about the entirety of the situation and player whereby he is very fantasy productive and relevant.
Follow me on Twitter @NickDynastyff

Csl312
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Re: Why Mark Andrew's will finish 2020 as the #1 ranked dynasty TE

Postby Csl312 » Mon May 11, 2020 6:40 pm

He may very well be the #1TE after this season. But I would hardly consider the OP estimates "conservative". It's not really reasonable to extrapolate points by projected increase targets. Especially when that increase itself is no sure thing. But the biggest question which ericanadian touched on, is even if a TE is on the field for more snaps, how many of those is he actually running a route? How often is he used to block?

Does anyone collect those data on TEs in general? It would be really interesting to see and potentially pretty useful for evaluating the position.

saw061600
Legend
Legend

Postby saw061600 » Mon May 11, 2020 6:49 pm

Too late to buy Andrews. Bought him or drafted him everywhere first 2 years. He profiled as a Kelce clone in analytics and he's living up to it so far. Hoping he's on the field 75% plus this year and then he and Kelce (most leagues) give me an extra option at WR flex. You need to look to the next potential TE rather than pay premium now for Andrews.
10 TM No PPR or waiver 85RST
Herbert Fields Garoppolo Ridder
JT Barkley Etienne Ingram Charb CEH
Evans Aiyuk Dionte Jeudy London JWill GWils EMoore JMyers Mims Moorex2
Andrews Kinkaid Pits Freiermuth
NBosa Quinnen DJJones Clark F-Myers Taylor Graham
Darius Okereke Kendricks DCampbell DJones Baker Kiser Brooks
Adams Simmons Vaccaro Joseph

12 TM .5ppr 45 RST
Herbert Stroud Mayfield
JT Achane Kamara Ford Pacheco Jaleel
AJB DK Godwin Aiyuk Kirk ZJones RMoore Thornton
Hock F-muth
LWilliams Payne Reed Greenard
Bernard Kendricks Warner Baker Williams Tranquil
Budda McKinney Clark Wilson

1-2QB 2-4RB 3-5WR 1-3TE 11OFF/DEF
Herbert Stafford Brock Dobbs
Taylor Jacobs Mattison Kyren Jaleel Ford Bigsby
AJB Diggs Evans Kirk McLaurin Dionte Boyd Renfrow JuJu
Kelce Pitts Deguara
Hutchinson Rousseau Greenard Travon Demarcus
QWilliams EJones TBernard Dean ShaqT Kyzir
Amos Bates Peppers Murray Fitz Clark

Sriracha
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Sriracha » Mon May 11, 2020 7:00 pm

saw061600 wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 6:49 pm Too late to buy Andrews. Bought him or drafted him everywhere first 2 years. He profiled as a Kelce clone in analytics and he's living up to it so far. Hoping he's on the field 75% plus this year and then he and Kelce (most leagues) give me an extra option at WR flex. You need to look to the next potential TE rather than pay premium now for Andrews.
100% agreed.

In 2017 George Kittle shined like a diamond.
In 2018 Mark Andrews was the hidden gem.

I've got nothing I'm remotely sure of in 2020. Closest I've got is Noah Fant, but he's not easy to acquire and he just got a bleep ton of target competition in the draft. I guess Kahale Warring given his predraft profile + the target vacuum left after the Hopkins trade? Still, I'm not that confident given that we don't have a rookie season to dissect with him.

ericanadian
Legend
Legend

Postby ericanadian » Mon May 11, 2020 7:10 pm

Csl312 wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 6:40 pm He may very well be the #1TE after this season. But I would hardly consider the OP estimates "conservative". It's not really reasonable to extrapolate points by projected increase targets. Especially when that increase itself is no sure thing. But the biggest question which ericanadian touched on, is even if a TE is on the field for more snaps, how many of those is he actually running a route? How often is he used to block?

Does anyone collect those data on TEs in general? It would be really interesting to see and potentially pretty useful for evaluating the position.
It’s available, though not exactly easy to pull up en masse.

Mark Andrews was on the field for 164 rushing plays last year. Hayden Hurst was on the field for 244 rushing plays. Nick Boyle was on the field for 493 rushing plays for whatever that’s worth.
All I Der Is Win - 16 Team IDP League (Pass TD 6pts)

QB - Stafford, Stroud, Tune
RB - Swift, Hall, Penny, Bigsby, Ford
WR - Pittman, Olave, Di. Johnson, G. Wilson, J. Williams, Metchie, Robinson, M. Wilson
TE - Okonkwo, Schoonmaker
LB - Brooks, R. Smith, Phillips
DL - Crosby, Allen, Simmons
DB - D. James, Baker, Delpit
K - Just a stupid kicker

mullmania
MVP
MVP

Postby mullmania » Tue May 12, 2020 5:16 am

Own a bunch of copies. Agree he could def boom and take a next step.

His tds masked some lower volume compared to the elite tier last year IMO.

After his huge week 1 and 2 he was TE #9 in average points per game. Cook and Will Dissley scored slightly more per game than him

In PPR he was under 4 catches in 6 of 15 games

3-15
2-39
2-21
2-45
3-50-1
1-14

Shankopotamus
Starter
Starter

Postby Shankopotamus » Tue May 12, 2020 5:24 am

Just go buy Hayden Hurst at a fraction of the cost.
12 Team Super-Flex TEP Dynasty
22 CHAMP :dance:
(2019 & 2020 Runner-Up) :wall:

1 QB, 3 RB, 4 WR, Flex, SF, 2 TE

3 DL, 3 LB, 3 DB, 1 Flex IDP

QB- Justin Herbert, Baker Mayfield, Deshaun Watson, Marcus Mariota, Gardner Minshew, Sam Ehlinger
RB- D’Andre Swift, Nick Chubb, Javonte Williams, Cam Akers, Kyren Williams, Jerome Ford, D’Ernest Johnson, Darrell Henderson
WR- DK Metcalf, DJ Moore, Chris Godwin, Jameson Williams, Gabe Davis, Hollywood Brown, Josh Reynolds, Calvin Austin, Laviska Shenault, Kyle Phillips
TE-Mark Andrews, Greg Dulcich, Isaiah Likely, Donald Parham, Tyler Conklin
DL-Danielle Hunter, Nick Bosa, Deforest Buckner, Jonathon Allen
LB- Micah Parsons, Jack Sanborn, Logan Wilson, Cole Holcomb, Nakobe Dean, Brian Asamoah
DB-Jeremy Chinn, Jalen Pitre, Jalen Thompson, Kam Curl, Darrick Forrest
K-Tyler Bass

John Paul
Role Player
Role Player

Postby John Paul » Mon May 18, 2020 9:52 am

He's had a solid rookie campaign followed by a breakout sophomore year. I see no reason why his numbers won't improve in season three.
10 Team PPR Dynasty (2012 Startup) 2018 1st 2019 2nd 2021 2nd

QB: Matt Stafford(Trade '22), Kirk Cousins(Trade '22), Baker Mayfield(Trade '22)
RB: Jonathan Taylor(Trade '21), ETN(trade '22), Breece Hall(1.02 '22), Deon Jackson (WW '23), Michael Carter (trade '23)
WR: Drake London (Trade '23), Jahan Dotson (Trade "23), Allen Robinson (Trade '22), Brandin Cooks (Trade '23), John Metchie III(2.02 "23), Rondale Moore(Trade '21), Kyle Philips(4.05 '22), Curtis Samuel (Trade '23)
TE: Kyle Pitts(Trade '22), Logan Thomas (WW "23)
LB: Logan Wilson (WW '22), Zaire Franklin (WW'23), Matt Judon (WW '23)
DB: M Fitzpatrick (WW '22), I Simmons (WW "23), Jamal Adams (WW "23)
DL: Chase Young(3.08/'20), Aidan Hutchinson (WW "23)

2023: 1.05, 1.06, 1.07, 1.08, 2.04
2024: 1, 1, 1, 2, 2
2025: 1, 1, 1, 2, 2

Orenthal Shames
Legend
Legend

Postby Orenthal Shames » Mon May 18, 2020 10:37 am

CGW wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 1:31 pm He was a preseason waiver add for me in all of my leagues.
Waivers? He was a top 25 rookie pick that finished as a high end TE2. You guys need deeper leagues.
16 team league
1 QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 TE, 2 Flex (RB/WR/TE)
26 upman rosters - full point ppr
2015, 17, 18, 19, 20 Champs

QB: Watson, Flacco
RB: Bijan, Gibbs, McLaughlin
WR: Olave, Addison, Flowers, Rice, Downs, Mims, Douglas, Tillman
TE: Kittle, Chig, Woods
24 Picks: 1.08, 1.14, 2nd x2

lukkynumber13
GOAT
GOAT

Postby lukkynumber13 » Mon May 18, 2020 12:35 pm

FantasyFreak wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 10:48 am Not enough passing volume, and not an elite talent compared to the other top guys IMO. I'm not buying Andrews because everywhere I have inquired, his owners have already baked in your theory into his cost. I'd still rather have Kittle over a 3-5 year period, in a vacuum, too. He's still a top 3 guy, and another good year I'd put him at TE 2. If he and Kittle have the same type of years I'd still want Kittle, though. I'm just more sold on his talent.
I will co-sign on all this.

Andrews is a nice talent, and I would love to own him anywhere as long as he’s tied to LJax, but he’s not a superstar receiver like Kelce & Kittle are, and he’s definitely not a valued blocker like Kittle or prime Gronk, meaning his value to his NFL team is lessened.

I think at best he’s an Ertz-level TE, at worst (if he goes to a new team without his current situation) he’s Jared Cook - mid to low end TE1 who’s TD dependent. Not a bad asset at all, but I don’t think he’s the next coming of Tony Gonzalez or anything.
TEAM A - 12T (22 R/U, 20 R/U, 19 R/U, 18 Champ, 17 R/U)
HERBERT, Baker
BIJAN/KAMARA/MIXON, A Jones
HILL/AJB/DK/G WILSON/D Adams, Pittman, Z Flowers, Evans
KITTLE
/
TEAM B - 16T, SF, TEP (22 R/U)
HURTS/MINSHEW, Cousins, D Jones
JT/JACOBS, Mostert, Gus E
HILL/MCLAURIN/DEEBO
KELCE/KITTLE, LaPorta
/
TEAM C - 14T, SF (Joined in 22)
GENO
HENRY/A JONES, Gus E
HILL/DIGGS/K ALLEN
WALLER
/
TEAM D - 14T, 1QB (Joined in 22)
MAHOMES, Goff
BIJAN/BREECE/POLLARD
CHASE/DIGGS/G WILSON/AIYUK, DJM, Pittman
KITTLE, Goedert
/
TEAM E - 14T, SF, 2TE (Started in 22)
MAHOMES/T-LAW, Carr
BIJAN/CMC/SAQUON/POLLARD, Hall
HILL/AIYUK/EVANS/GODWIN, Hollywood, Thielen
MCBRIDE/ENGRAM, Goedert, Chig
/
TEAM F - 16T (Joined in 23)
R WILSON, Minshew
SAQUON/KAMARA/MIXON, Monty
DIGGS/GODWIN/AIYUK/EVANS, Thielen, A Cooper
KELCE, Schultz
/
TEAM G - 12T, SF & TEP (Joined in 23)
HERBERT/TUA, Kyler
BIJAN/MIXON, Spears, J Warren
JJ/G WILSON/WADDLE/OLAVE, Godwin, J Reed
LAPORTA

hockeyBjj
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby hockeyBjj » Tue May 19, 2020 9:06 am

I bought him before the 2019 season in two leagues for cheap, one of them a TE premium

It's too late to get him now unless you want to pay Kittleesque price. Every owner saw what he did, and saw Hurst leave

Don't think if he'll be the #1 ranked TE, but with Kelce up in age and Ertz dissapearing for half of last season, Kittle and Andrews are the 1 and 2 imo
Team 1- 10 team ppr, 1QB, 2RB, 3WR, 1TE, 2Flx, 1D, 1K
2022: 1-8
Finishes: 6th, 6th, 1st, 5th, 6th, 9th
QB: Lamar Jackson, Purdy
RB: Bijan, Dobbins, Achane, Charbonnet, Algier, McBride, waiver trash
WR: JSN, QJ, Addison, Dotson, Skyy Moore, Jameson Williams, Hyatt, T Dell, Boutte, Skowronek, Quez Watkins, Greg Dortch, waiver trash
TE: Hockenson, F Monroe, Juwan, Musgrave
D/K: Patriots, Vikings, Saints, Dicker

picks-
2024- 1,1,1,1,2,2,2,3,3,4,5,5
2025 1,1,1,2,3,4,5

team 2- 12 team SF, .5PPR, .5TE boost, 1QB, 1SF, 2 RB, 3WR, 1TE, 2Flex
2022: 8-1
Finishes: 2nd, 2nd, 2nd, 2nd :wall:
QB: Ljax, GenoD Jones, Minshew, Dobbs
RB: CMC, Stevenson, A Jones, Chubb, A Mattison, D cook, Perine, Mckinnon,
WR:Tyreek, Diggs, C Kupp, D Adams, Keenan Allen, Lockett, Gallup, A Lazard, Hodgins
TE: Kelce, LaPorta, Irv Smith,
No picks until 2026 5th rounder lol