Commish changed my score

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
IR1
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Re: Commish changed my score

Postby IR1 » Wed Dec 20, 2017 7:02 am

I'd push for replacing the zero with the lowest score from a "legal" player.
10Team PPR-QB/RB/WR/WR/TE/PK/flex-DT/DE/DE/LB/LB/LB/CB/CB/S/S/flex
QB- Herbert, Tua
RB- Barkley, Swift, Montgomery, Dobbins, Walker
WR-Adams, ARSB, JWilliams, Godwin, Metcalf, Allen, Kirk, Flowers
TE- Kelce, Goedert
PK
DT- Buckner, Simmons, QWilliams,
DE- Hunter, JBosa, Thibodeaux, JPHillips, Rousseau, Paye, Greenard
LB- Edmunds, Warner, E Kendricks, Wagner, De"Vondre Campbell, Asamoah, Sanders
CB- Moore, Howard, Reed
S- Dugger, Pitre, Thompson
IR Dobbins, Dulcich
Taxi- Kincaid, QJohnston

sloth8u
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby sloth8u » Wed Dec 20, 2017 7:22 am

was this the 1st week of the playoffs? what happened last week? at minimum...the commish must adjust rosters for the two other owners who also made pick ups this week. if he did not....you have a very real gripe right now. and i think you have a solid case.....if he only adjusted yours, but no one else's who's made a pick up during the playoffs....he's clearly focused on your situation. and you oughta get your points back and move on with week 16. figure it out in the offseason.

Quinty
Rookie
Rookie

Postby Quinty » Wed Dec 20, 2017 1:57 pm

Hessy1225 wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2017 6:27 pm In here to get commissioners' nonbiased opinion on this. So for those of you familiar with ESPN, our commissioner posted a League Manager's note at the start of the playoffs stating seedings etc... Well, also in the note he said rosters will lock and add/drops will not be allowed. I don't know about most owners, but I'm under the assumption that most people don't look for these notes and, as I do myself, focus on their roster page and free agent page.

.snip.

1. It is the commish's fault this happened.
3. The commish had 3 days to correct my (and 2 other's) mistakes and didn't
5. How does he do this with no communication whatsoever?
6. Should the commish not be responsible for making sure everyone is aware of the rules and make sure they are abided by?
You said that the Commish posted that add/drops are not allowed BEFORE THE PLAYOFFS. You don't bother to read the notes? This screwup is on you.

Does the NFL ref tell the defensive player he's lined up offside before the play starts? No, he waits and throws the flag once the ball is snapped. The Commish said no add/drops are allowed, you made a few add/drops, so after the games, the Commish threw the flag and adjusted your lineup.

The other stuff (the no bylaws, changing the PPR settings after the draft, etc) is on him, although we have no guarantee that you would have read the bylaws.

Pullo Vision
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Pullo Vision » Wed Dec 20, 2017 2:43 pm

FiremanEd wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2017 6:18 am
Friction wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2017 5:08 am Ah a commish with Short Mans Syndrome, my favorite. What is rarely jas access to his phone? He is too busy to check his phone while on the crapper, but has time to make petty fantasy football changes and updates? Run
Enforcing rules of the league is not ‘petty’ or ‘short man syndrome’...you can say the rule sucks, is poorly implemented, or the league is poorly run, but implying the actual enforcement of a rule is the issue isn’t a very good take on the situation.
Great viewpoint.

If the commish specifically said players picked up off waivers couldn't be started, that's on the OP. Yes, the rule shoulda been somewhere other than a random post, and the lack of communication (about this issue and the rules in general) is a huge problem. You can't fault the commish for enforcing the rule, even though there are problems with how.

Seems you got a flag early on this was a problem league when you drafted for ppr per the scoring rules then the commish changed to non ppr.
League #1- 14 tm ppr, 1Q, 2R, 3W, 1T, 1 R/W/T, 1K
1 DT, 2 DE, 2 LB, 1 CB, 1 S, 1 flex

League #2- 12 team PPR, 1Q, 1R, 2W, 1T, 1 R/W/T, 1 W/R/T, 1 Def

League #3- 12 tm PPR, 1Q, 0R (yes, ZERO RB) 3W, 1T, 2 R/W/T flex, 1 Def

Goddard
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Goddard » Wed Dec 20, 2017 2:54 pm

Hessy1225 wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2017 6:27 pm In here to get commissioners' nonbiased opinion on this. So for those of you familiar with ESPN, our commissioner posted a League Manager's note at the start of the playoffs stating seedings etc... Well, also in the note he said rosters will lock and add/drops will not be allowed. I don't know about most owners, but I'm under the assumption that most people don't look for these notes and, as I do myself, focus on their roster page and free agent page. Anyway, I (along with 2 other owners) made transactions throughout the playoffs. The other two owners never started any of the players so in his mind, only i should be penalized. Keep in mind that i did not see his post until this morning. It is of my opinion that waivers should have been disabled, in order to prevent this exact thing from happening. So I am in the semis and pick up Dede Westbrook and start him. I end up winning and log in this morning to see that it says I have lost. I look at the league activity and see the commish made changes to the schedule and removed the 2.1 points I had from westbrook. So here's where I'm at:

2. How do I take a 0 from an "ineligible player"?
4. If anything I should get a bench WR score substituted in for the error as I had Algholor in prior to adding dede, or at least get the average score if my bench WR.
6. Should the commish not be responsible for making sure everyone is aware of the rules and make sure they are abided by?

Am I being unreasonable or do i have the right to be upset
You're sort of at fault since you missed the note, but I think because it was an honest mistake, you should be able to substitute points from someone on your bench. Whether it's the highest, lowest, or average, that's something you can discuss with the commissioner. I also agree that waivers should have been locked if that's an option on ESPN, preventing this from even happening. It's also odd that he said nothing after you and other owners picked up players after he said you can't and waited so long to make the change.

zoster80
All Pro
All Pro

Postby zoster80 » Wed Dec 20, 2017 4:30 pm

I commish my PLP league in ESPN, since it is free it is limited. We have the same rule of not allowing pickups after week 13 and I have the same problem happen last year. Someone left the league over it, which sucks because it's a friends league. I also sent out a warning and sent a text on the whatsapp thread. This also in our by-law so at the end of the day there were 3 places that said the rules. So I didn't feel bad about reversing the transaction.

I was more adamant about checking if pickups were done throughout the week, since you can not disable the waviers in espn, so we lived an learned. We have too live with this limitation if we wanna keep it free.
Zo Nasty -12 Teams, PPR, 30 players - Keep 24
Start QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, TE, 2 Flex, K, DST

QB: Herbert, B Young
RB: Bijan, Warren, Z Moss, K Ingram, J kelley
WR: D London, Z Flowers, JSN, J Reed, QJ G Davis, Gallup, DPJ, M Mims, J Metchie, W Robinson, J Tolbert, J Jennings
TE: J Ferguson Fant, J Johnson, Gesicki
DST: Colts NE
K: Butker

2024 Picks
2025 Picks

QB: Burrow Dobbs, R Wilson, Stidham, Carr,
RB: CMC, Hall, K Walker, Swift, M Sanders M Carter, K Gainwell, CEH, Hunt, C Evans, E Wilson, P Taylor, D Johnson,
WR: DJM, Metcalf, AJ Brown, Hopkins, M Gallup, Chark, T Scott, P Washington, G Dortch, J Watson, R Woods
TE: M Andrews, Fant , Hudson, Higbee, L Thomas, J Johnson,
DST: SF, PHI

TAXI:
C Jones, B Strange, J Shorter, W Levis
2024 Picks
4.11,5.11,6.05, 6.11[/size]
2025 Picks
2026 Picks

stoneghost28
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby stoneghost28 » Wed Dec 20, 2017 5:33 pm

Disagree, it's clear rules are vague, and have not clearly been stated. You don't suddenly plug in "no add drops for playoffs," a couple of days before week one. You don't create ex-post facto rules governing scoring in a league to allow you to switch from the standard, which is PPR, to the 1990's system of "standard" scoring after a freaking draft.

It's clear the rules in this league are only understood by the long time players in the league based upon the information the OP has stated. It's the responsibility of a commish to bring clarity to these kinds of situations, instead he's made them more confusing, and consistently addressed issues either after the fact, or too late to be sure that everyone would understood, in which case it's his or hers responsibility to make sure everyone's on the same page, which the commish clearly did not do.

He's a terrible, vindictive, half-wit of a commish, and should've known better than to take the job considering the liabilities he brings to it. I'm not a commish in any of my leagues for a very good reason. I'd suck at it. I've got an 18 month old, I teach, and I hate those kinds of gigs on top of it. My leagues are all the better for my absence from such a role. The simple fact that he's unavailable and difficult to reach should have made him being a commish a non-starter. The commish has to be available. That's the whole point of the job, organization, clarity, and availability for issues to be addressed in a fair minded system. None of these things are happening.

As other's have posted. RUN, don't walk, away from this league. In truth, as others have said, you should have bailed after he informed you that your entire draft approach was null and void because he'd neglected to inform you that they play by 1990's era standard scoring rules. It's too bad you didn't. But all the same, I'm not sympathetic to the commish and I don't understand why other people are: read the subtext here: he doesn't inform new owners of the scoring rules until after, he expects all owners to read a note on a page few people ever check, instead of doing that, and sending a direct email/text message to confirm that owners actually know what's going on. Everything is done in a slapdash, half-arsed fashion because he's clearly a disorganized person, and instead of owning his mistakes, he punishes others for them. It's absurd.

Leave the league post-haste. Most leagues don't have commissioners this incompetent and vindictive.

Super_Freaks
Combine Attendee
Combine Attendee

Postby Super_Freaks » Wed Dec 20, 2017 8:13 pm

Quinty wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2017 1:57 pm
Hessy1225 wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2017 6:27 pm In here to get commissioners' nonbiased opinion on this. So for those of you familiar with ESPN, our commissioner posted a League Manager's note at the start of the playoffs stating seedings etc... Well, also in the note he said rosters will lock and add/drops will not be allowed. I don't know about most owners, but I'm under the assumption that most people don't look for these notes and, as I do myself, focus on their roster page and free agent page.

.snip.

You said that the Commish posted that add/drops are not allowed BEFORE THE PLAYOFFS. You don't bother to read the notes? This screwup is on you.

Does the NFL ref tell the defensive player he's lined up offside before the play starts? No, he waits and throws the flag once the ball is snapped. The Commish said no add/drops are allowed, you made a few add/drops, so after the games, the Commish threw the flag and adjusted your lineup.

The other stuff (the no bylaws, changing the PPR settings after the draft, etc) is on him, although we have no guarantee that you would have read the bylaws.
Normally I would agree with you that rules are rules, but we don't have enough information to make this statement. It is possible the rules were stated before the season and the commish wanted to give a reminder before the playoffs started. If that was the case I would agree this situation is the OP's fault.

OP, when the commish said before the draft to review the rules what exactly did he mean? Did he mean to look at the league settings on ESPN or were there an actual set of rules/bylaws that he gave you? Unless there was a set of rules provided then we unfortunately have to go with the rule that was brought up prior to the playoffs (Not saying I agree with how it was done.) Yes the OP did violate the rule. Unfortunately not seeing it on the League Managers note is on you. The biggest issue I see is not if the OP violated the rule or not, but how the penalty for breaking the rule was enforced. Where was it stated that you would receive a 0 if you started a player that you picked up from waivers during the playoffs. In the example above it is correct the ref doesn't have to warn you. But what is different is you know what the penalty is if you break a rule (5 yards, 10 yards, etc.) You can't penalize someone for breaking a rule unless it was stated what the penalty would be if you break a rule. This is to me where the commish is completely in the wrong and would make me question the his intentions. Did the scoring change by chance help a friend of the commish advance?

How I would handle this is to try and go back to how the starting lineup was prior to the transaction in question. If there is no exact way to prove what the lineup was at that time I would then go back to the previous week and look at that lineup. We would need to know your starting lineup requirements and where in the lineup Dede was started. Was he in a WR spot or in a Flex spot. Did the other WR(s) you started last week remain the same as the week before? If the only change was to start Dede over the WR you benched then I would say that is the WR that you should get points for. If you changed more than one WR then I would probably suggest you get points from the lowest scoring player in a WR slot from the previous week. Now it is possible the OP changed his lineup significantly from the week before. If this is the case it might become a little more involved to determine a solution, but I'm sure it could be done.

As far as future involvement in the league I would probably not be part of this league again unless all rules are clearly stated.
Last edited by Super_Freaks on Wed Dec 20, 2017 10:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

skip
GOAT
GOAT

Postby skip » Wed Dec 20, 2017 9:52 pm

Just as an aside, does it bother no one that such a "great" league hosting site doesn't allow waivers to be turned off when desired?
If you can't leave at least a 20% tip, you can't afford to eat out.

Goddard
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Goddard » Wed Dec 20, 2017 10:10 pm

skip wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2017 9:52 pm Just as an aside, does it bother no one that such a "great" league hosting site doesn't allow waivers to be turned off when desired?
Yes, but what bothers me even more is that there are leagues who don't allow waivers during the playoffs?

sloth8u
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby sloth8u » Wed Dec 20, 2017 10:51 pm

I see no playoff waivers quite a bit. Take the team you ran with all year in to the tournament. Also a good portion of the league has checked out for a few weeks after being eliminated at some point. No waivers is nothing new in my experiences.

I think it's odd so many telling him to leave..on what appears to be his own mistake. I do think he may have been wronged if rules have changed...but assuming they didnt, and the others owners with claims lost their players.....it's on the op.

skip
GOAT
GOAT

Postby skip » Wed Dec 20, 2017 11:15 pm

sloth8u wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2017 10:51 pm I think it's odd so many telling him to leave..on what appears to be his own mistake.
The advice to leave was over the overall handling of the league by the commissioner (like changing from ppr to standard after the draft) and not the waivers rule.

In my 28 years of playing, I've never been in a league where there were no waivers during the playoffs so the rule seems quite odd and unexpected to me. I do agree that at least some of the responsibility falls on the op.
If you can't leave at least a 20% tip, you can't afford to eat out.

sloth8u
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby sloth8u » Thu Dec 21, 2017 12:03 am

It reads that going to non ppr was a correction, not a change. Hard to say what the truth is with no bylaws. Sounds like a friends league to me....that our op happened to fill a spot. My friends leagues, never had bylaws....pretty important though as we can see here.

My mfl leagues all run waivers through the playoffs. I wonder if espn has that option? Is that where this is comming from? I dropped my espn leagues, so im assuming thats where ive seen it. If so.... as skip mentioned, the site should lock the waivers.

Hessy1225
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby Hessy1225 » Thu Dec 21, 2017 12:53 am

sloth8u wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2017 12:03 am It reads that going to non ppr was a correction, not a change. Hard to say what the truth is with no bylaws. Sounds like a friends league to me....that our op happened to fill a spot. My friends leagues, never had bylaws....pretty important though as we can see here.

My mfl leagues all run waivers through the playoffs. I wonder if espn has that option? Is that where this is comming from? I dropped my espn leagues, so im assuming thats where ive seen it. If so.... as skip mentioned, the site should lock the waivers.
This is exactly right. Friends league although I only know about 3 of the people, one being the commish (whom has still yet to respond to my text or message board post about the situation). To whoever asked about me knowing this rule week 1: this rule was never discussed to me and when he said "review the rules", he meant the scoring settings. It's sad that I drafted my team as PPR, and lost my 1st pick (obj) and made the championship game (and got it reversed). I'm strongly considering not paying for the league jyst because of the disorganization. This league has been a headache all year and I wish I was never part of it.

sloth8u
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby sloth8u » Thu Dec 21, 2017 1:09 am

Is this dynasty or redraft?

Did he remove dede from your team and the other claims from the other 2 teams? Simply take him out of your lineup?