I’ve seen Goff go for more
8%

Total votes: 77

sugbear65
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Re: This just happened....bad trade...

Postby sugbear65 » Wed Nov 15, 2017 4:20 pm

I understand checking for collusion and being upset, but would no one else be trying to trade with the new Goff owner? I mean I assume you've paid and are committed to finishing out the year at least. Well reach out and see if u have any players that owner covets, he's obviously willing to overpay for guys he likes, lol. Sometimes it becomes a situation where if u can't beat 'em, join 'em.

Reljac
Captain
Captain

Postby Reljac » Wed Nov 15, 2017 4:36 pm

Shoreline Steamers wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2017 3:52 pm
gwjordan wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2017 12:54 pm As the commissioner of the league in question, I don't want to get into specifics in response to the posts here, but I would like to point out that the comments I've read here from Steve and some of you others are out of line and, frankly, hurtful. If anyone would like to hear my side of the story, they are welcome to message me directly, but I can assure you that I am doing the best I can as the commissioner and I put a lot of time and money into this league (far beyond what would generally be expected of a commissioner). I don't say that to justify my deicisions or excuse my mistakes, but only to say that they are honestly made. I simply wanted to make the league fair.

As far as this trade goes, I think it is a horrible trade myself, but I did not want to be put into the position where other owners or the commissioner made the decision on what was appropriate. I like the idea of asking for justification, but if he has a ratioinale, then that is enough for me. These things tend to work themselves out over time anyway in my opinion.

Steve, I am open to discussing these issues and any other issues you may have outside this forum. I appreciate you as an owner and a person and would like to keep you around if possible.

Thanks all...Greg Jordan
I am sorry if you found my post hurtful Greg. I give you some serious props for taking the time to post and standing up for yourself. The part about "Joining a league with grown-ups" was taking things a little far and I should have left that out. If you did not in fact do the things the OP said, then perhaps we should hear your side of the story. If you did the things I indicated in my earlier post, then I have to say there really isn't sufficient justification for running a league that way.

League Members get to approve, or vote down proposed rule changes. Rule changes are not to be made in-season, especially rules governing scoring. Team ownership turnover and free agent acquisition should follow a process clearly outlined in league bylaws and it doesn't sound as though that was the case here. Censoring other league members opinions isn't conducive to an open exchange of ideas, even if you don't like what's being said.

The trade is bad, sure. I didn't even comment on the idea if it was/wasn't collusion. The part I did comment on was what would bother me most if I were in a league where things were managed this way. Take it as constructive criticism on how to restructure league rules (in conjunction with the other paying league members) this offseason to improve the experience for everyone. I do know being the commissioner isn't easy. It's often times a thankless job.

Good luck moving forward.
As far as the not voting thing, I can assure you I am sticking to the facts. In July the commissioner change contract lengths that historically all been 5 years to be shorter for preseason and free agency without a vote. In season free agents particularly were unilaterally moved to a one year contract (from 5) and after two days of fighting and the commish saying he quit he changed them to three. I can provide the message board posts if further clarity is needed.

At the end of last season, the assisted tackles were changed without vote from .5 to 1.5. He also added negative QB points for yards lost in a sack. He added positive points for yards gained on a fumble and for yards gained on an interception. We voted on none of those.

After the changes to tackles and contracts there were outcries from members of the league who got upset over the new rule and lack of voting. In each instance the rule was later changed but never fully back.

There are more unilateral changed than these. But these are the ones from the last 9 months.
12-team Non-PPR QB, 2-RB, 3-WR, TE, K, DEF
QB: Herbert, Tanny
RB: Chubb, Stevenson, AJ Dillion
WR: AJ Brown, M Evans, M Williams, D London, C Olave, Jameson Williams, M Thomas
TE: D Njoku
K: Butker

2023: 1.01, 2.01
2024 early first, late first

seahawks506
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby seahawks506 » Wed Nov 15, 2017 5:01 pm

I would not want to be part of a league like this, especially having read the other incidents that happened. What a joke
orphan rebuild- 3 superflex, nerfed QB scoring 0.5/1/1.5 wr/rb/te PPR
QB: Hurts, Dobbs, Lance, Huntley, Bagent
RB: Swift, Kamara, Sanders, K. Mitchell, Foreman, CEH, Dowdle, Demercado
WR: Lamb, AJB, DK, Hollywood, Jakobi, Lazard, Boyd, Shaheed, Douglas
TE: Chig, Juwan, Conklin, Taysom, Smythe
Picks: 3 2024 2nds

rebuild 2: 1QB PPR
QB: Richardson, Pickett, Mayfield
RB: Achane, E Mitchell, Demercado
WR: Chase, Addison, QJ, J Palmer, Wan'Dale, Claypool, Douglas, Metchie
TE: Kittle, Mayer, Otton, Ferguson
Picks: 3 2024 1sts, 2 2024 2nds

Shoreline Steamers
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby Shoreline Steamers » Wed Nov 15, 2017 5:10 pm

Reljac wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2017 4:36 pm As far as the not voting thing, I can assure you I am sticking to the facts. In July the commissioner change contract lengths that historically all been 5 years to be shorter for preseason and free agency without a vote. In season free agents particularly were unilaterally moved to a one year contract (from 5) and after two days of fighting and the commish saying he quit he changed them to three. I can provide the message board posts if further clarity is needed.

At the end of last season, the assisted tackles were changed without vote from .5 to 1.5. He also added negative QB points for yards lost in a sack. He added positive points for yards gained on a fumble and for yards gained on an interception. We voted on none of those.

After the changes to tackles and contracts there were outcries from members of the league who got upset over the new rule and lack of voting. In each instance the rule was later changed but never fully back.

There are more unilateral changed than these. But these are the ones from the last 9 months.
I wasn't doubting you Reljac, And as you can tell, I think that not having a league wide vote on rule changes and/or changing the rules during the season is not acceptable. Shrewd owners build their teams specifically around a league's scoring system and when that is changed arbitrarily it can really throw a team off. Hence the need for a vote where the majority opinion rules.

In fact, I prefer when rule changes are proposed and voted on should the proposal pass, it is not implemented for a year to give all owners a chance to tweak their roster as they see fit based on the change(s) being made.
14 Team, No-PPR, 20 Man Roster, TD Heavy, TD = 6, FG = 3, Start: QB, 2RB, 2WR, TE, Flex, K, D
QB: L. Jackson, B. Purdy, T. Lance
RB: J. Mixon, N. Chubb, A. Dillon, J. Cook, K. Mitchell, J. McLaughlin, Z. Evans
WR: J. Chase, C. Godwin, D. Johnson, J. Reed, C. Tillman
TE: TJ Hockenson, D. Njoku, B. Jordan

14 Team, .5 PPR, 18 Man Roster, Rush/Rec TD = 6, Pass TD = 4, FG = 3, Start: QB, 2RB, 2WR, TE, Flex, K, D
QB: L. Jackson, T. Tagovailoa
RB: B. Robinson, K. Walker, R. Stevenson, K. Herbertl
WR: C. Olave, T. Higgins, B. Aiyuk, N. Collins, Z. Flowers, M. Mims
TE: K. Pitts, D. Njoku

gwjordan
Combine Attendee
Combine Attendee

Postby gwjordan » Wed Nov 15, 2017 5:21 pm

Thank you for the constructive feedback. I am not going to deny that some of those things happened. I have a definite vision of how I want my league to look/run, I have been constrained by the stupid CBS system, and I have tried (sometimes too heavy handedly) to make it work regardless. Should I have run everything through a vote? Maybe. But then nothing would have changed and I wouldn't have been happy. And since it was my league, I wanted to be happy. The back and forth that happened over moving to a doubleheader was unbelievable, for example. It was so unappealing that I didn't want to debate anything anymore. I just wanted to do it my way. Perhaps it was the wrong way of looking at it and doing it, but that's how it was.

The issue I take umbrage with is that whenever anyone does/says something that you all (as a group) don't like, you say it's a joke or the person is an idiot or whatever snarky comment you can think of. That is unfair. Just because someone doesn't conform to how you think things should be done doesn't make it wrong. And sometimes I don't think paying a fee (or not paying as is the case for 11 of my 14 owners this year) gives you the right to decide how things are run. Sometimes the person who is running the league gets to decide because, hopefully, they are trying to make decisions that are good for everybody. Owners, by their very nature, only vote for what is best for them.

onetwothree
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby onetwothree » Wed Nov 15, 2017 5:40 pm

Reljac wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2017 7:46 am A few details that should be included. This is the fifth year of the league and has an enhanced 1st place prize of an additional $500. Also the commissioner has changed rules on his own whims multiple times per year including scoring changes. Two years we voted to put these changes to a vote, but they have still continued. As a result there was a huge blowout in September around the 3rd week of the NFL season, when someone noticed a rule change that they didn't expect. At that time the discussion got heated and the Commissioner said he was quitting and he wife came to his defense. He walked back from that comment and At that point, several teams indicated they were not be returning for next year. He then deleted the whole conversation and started a new one defending his changes and shutting down any response he got to it.
Appreciate the detailed response to add context.

If the trade is not going to be overturned, just play things out (crazy things happen in football) and then find yourself a new league. The commissioner sounds like he's in over his head and a couple rogue owners are going to blow things up.

Funny thing is there's a thread basically saying Goff is "better" than Luck so there are owners out there who are high (on the #1 pick too :P). If it was Luck being moved in the deal there might be less outrage.

FiremanEd
Legend
Legend

Postby FiremanEd » Wed Nov 15, 2017 8:06 pm

Thanks for the heads up Reljac. I think I had checked out a league opening in one of this commishs leagues this past summer. Needless to say, I am thankful I went another direction. Any Commish who says 'I want it my way' rather than
'I want what's best for the league' isn't a Commish I want to be tied to.

The trade is self explanatory. Given the League history, it would surprise in the slightest if two people said 'forget this jazz, nothing here matters anyway so let's just win and be done with it.' If the Commish will do whatever they want, why wouldn't owners? The health of the League sounds deteriorated. When that happens, anything can happen. Having a league 'your way' only matters if the people in it like and respect it. Those things appear to be lacking. Can't say I blame them. My rope would be worn thin as well if everything said thus far is true as well.

MEuRaH
Legend
Legend

Postby MEuRaH » Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:11 pm

gwjordan wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2017 5:21 pmI have a definite vision of how I want my league to look/run.........Should I have run everything through a vote? Maybe.................... ]nothing would have changed and I wouldn't have been happy. And since it was my league, I wanted to be happy. ..........I just wanted to do it my way. Perhaps it was the wrong way of looking at it and doing it, but that's how it was.
gwjordan, I think you have the tools to be a quality commissioner, but I'm just going to point out this quote above. It's all "me me me my way I want to be happy". I commission 4 leagues. Once they are created, they are no longer my leagues. I merely run them. Any changes are discussed and then put to a vote. I cannot assume what will or won't happen.

If you do whatever you want to do, maybe you will be happy, but nobody else will be. They will feel betrayed and abused. They will leave the league and eventually nobody will fill their places. The league you want to have will no longer exist, because you seem to be too consumed with having things your way, rather than doing your best to facilitate change.
gwjordan wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2017 5:21 pmSometimes the person who is running the league gets to decide because, hopefully, they are trying to make decisions that are good for everybody. Owners, by their very nature, only vote for what is best for them.
We're going to disagree here. This represents a totalitarian dictatorship. Kim Jong Un would run a league like the one you describe. You have very little faith in the other owners in the league. I think if you were a little more trusting and worked with the other owners in the league more, you'd find a better balance and these issues would never become so big as they are right now.

I hope you understand what I'm trying to say. I fear you will read and reject it immediately.
ULTIMATE RB GURUs
2021 RB Injury Guru: abloom "Akers will suffer an ACL injury in the preseason and does not play during the season."
2021 RB Guru: qazxswedcvfrtgbnhyuj & McCafsteez -- Winners of the Antonio Gibson Wager!

REAL RB GURUs:
CubfanAA - Anteaters - Ice - JJRules - TheNuts - jtk1234 - Bronco Billy - YouMightDieTryin - hockeyBjj - honcho55 - murphysxm - Patsfan86 - jman3134

RightlegTucker
All Pro
All Pro

Postby RightlegTucker » Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:15 pm

I was going to say Rams fan or collusion but I doubt even a hardcore Rams fan would do this :shock:

sloth8u
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby sloth8u » Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:38 pm

Contract league, what do the contracts look like? This could very well explain the trade itself.

Coogan Football
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Coogan Football » Thu Nov 16, 2017 12:14 am

Lol wowwwww, sounds like a greaaaaat league...I'm sure we'll see more "Help Wanted/League opening" posts from our buddy Greg next summer.

This trade is absolutely horrendous and you really can't make a legit excuse for the Goff side unless the contracts put a HUGE spin on things.
12 team 6pts all TDs/.5ppr/SFlex/ balanced IDP, scoring est. 2008
Start QB,SF,2RB,3WR,TE,2Flex,3DL,3LB,3DB,2DFlex
3x Champion 2015, 2016, 2017
QB: Brees, Luck, Prescott, McCarron, C.Kelly, Peterman
RB: Elliott, Gurley, Hunt, Kamara, Gordon, Howard, McCaffrey, J.Williams,
WR: Julio, Hopkins, M.Thomas, TY, Watkins, Kupp, C.Davis, Thomas (LA), Carroo, Switzer, Tr. Taylor
TE: Olsen, Engram, Howard, Fleener, Swoope
DL: Watt, Mack, C.Jordan, Bosa, D.Hunter, Clowney, Armstead
LB: Kuechly, Ogletree, Mosley, McKinney, R.Foster, Bucannon, Z.Cunningham, Anzalone, ShaqT,
, Goodson, Pullard,
DB: H.Smith, Vaccaro, B.Jones, Neal, Adoree, K.Joseph, Geathers, M.Maye, J.Jones, D Thompson

Don't be the guy that asks for advice without giving some out yourself
#WhoDat

hjernazian
Captain
Captain

Postby hjernazian » Thu Nov 16, 2017 1:35 am

Reljac wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2017 6:10 pm So, this afternoon this trade goes through in my league...
Travis Kelce, AJ Green, and Ryan Shazier for Jared Goff...

I’m speechless... what do you think?
don't mean to be coarse, but are you bleep kidding me? collusion or playing with a bunch of idiots that don't even watch football. C'mon man. I'm a LA resident and go to Rams games - Goff is somewhat exciting - but I don't think you make that trade even for D. Watson. Stupid. Call it out. Make a scene, and leave if you have to. If the commish allows things like this it is an early indicator that you're in for some serious bullshit moving forward.
Team 1

Superflex, 1.0 point PPR

QB: P. Mahomes $5, C. Newton $20, B. Mayfield $2, D. Brees
RB: D. Johnson $54, N. Chubb $4, T. Coleman $4, D. Henry $14, I. Crowell $3, J. Richard $9, J. Adams $3
WR: A. Robinson $41, T.Y. Hilton $24, J. Landry $25, C. Davis $4, C. Godwin $4, D. Hamilton $3, K. Cole, S. Shephard $10
TE: E. Engram $4, D. Njoku $2, K. Rudolph $3, V. McDonald $4
K/DEF: Irrelevant

2019: 2.04, 2.05, 2.06, 3.06, 4.06

Team 2

Start: 1 QB, 2 RB, 3 WR, 1 TE, 2 RB/WR/TE - 25 man roster + 4 TAXI

QB: T. Brady, M. Ryan, N. Foles
RB: K. Hunt, C. McCaffrey, D. Johnson, T. Coleman, S. Ware, D. Williams, Ito Smith, D. Sproles
WR: AJ Green, A. Robinson, A. Thielen, E. Sanders, G. Tate, S. Roberts
TE: J. Reed, J. Butt, M. Roberts, V. Davis, M. Williams
TAXI: S. Darnold, D. Fountain, D. Cain, Jaleel Scott

hjernazian
Captain
Captain

Postby hjernazian » Thu Nov 16, 2017 1:37 am

sugbear65 wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2017 4:20 pm I understand checking for collusion and being upset, but would no one else be trying to trade with the new Goff owner? I mean I assume you've paid and are committed to finishing out the year at least. Well reach out and see if u have any players that owner covets, he's obviously willing to overpay for guys he likes, lol. Sometimes it becomes a situation where if u can't beat 'em, join 'em.
No. No one is trying to trade for Goff unless they're shopping a 4th rounder. I almost guarantee it, unless it is a 5 QB league. Won't happen. I watch him play in person, he's fine, but he is fools gold. He's a manager, at best, not someone you target. I'd rather hit the wire and grab someone than give up anything for him. He's not D. Watson - who IS someone you should be targeting (traded him in my 1 QB league for a high first round pick and Dalvin Cook).
Team 1

Superflex, 1.0 point PPR

RB: D. Johnson $54, N. Chubb $4, T. Coleman $4, D. Henry $14, I. Crowell $3, J. Richard $9, J. Adams $3
WR: A. Robinson $41, T.Y. Hilton $24, J. Landry $25, C. Davis $4, C. Godwin $4, D. Hamilton $3, K. Cole, S. Shephard $10

Team 2

RB: K. Hunt, C. McCaffrey, D. Johnson, T. Coleman, S. Ware, D. Williams, Ito Smith, D. Sproles

hjernazian
Captain
Captain

Postby hjernazian » Thu Nov 16, 2017 1:44 am

MEuRaH wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2017 4:30 am
pokerface40 wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:49 pm I'd cause a ruckus and let both parties know how insane it was, then do my best to get a refund and quit.
This is, so far, the worst response on the thread. I commission 4 leagues and I wouldn't want an owner like you in any of them. Similar to a toddler falling to the floor kicking and screaming that he didn't get his way. Pathetic. I don't know if you are in any of my leagues, but if you are, feel free to leave after this season.
onetwothree wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:53 pm So let's play devil's advocate and get some more context. The deal is so lopsided that even someone colluding would try to make it less obvious by throwing in fluff just to hide it.

- What does the rest of the lineups look like for both teams?
- What are their records?
- Does the team that got Goff have his own draft pick and is trying to tank?
- Have they made trades before?
- Any recent trades with other teams?
Great reply.
Samhain34 wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2017 1:02 am
Reljac wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2017 7:55 pm I’ll throw thus on the fire, through Facebook I was able to determine that the owners that did this trade are not strangers and instead have known each other for over 31 years.
This complicates things. However, I'd check what everybody's rationale is. My first dynasty league ever I took Andrew Luck with the 1.02 in the startup draft (single QB) and then Mariota in the 8th, figuring I had the ultimate set it and forget it QB lineup ever. Instead, thanks to injuries, I've trotted out literally every backup and junk QB under the sun. Partial list: McCown, D. Kiser, Smokin' Jay, Fitzpatrick, Rothlesberger (away games), Hoyer, Beathard, Brissett, and more.

What is your scoring? Is our Goff guy a rabid Rams fan? I'm in a league where I've had good trades vetoed because people don't understand the concept of dynasty and I'm bailing after this season, friends or not. They may have reasons you don't agree with, but that seem valid to them; if I was in a full-on rebuild and tanking for Barkley, I might be able to see that trade.

Finally, if you're not satisfied with their answers, I'd take this one to the league at large and have them explain themselves to the league. You don't talk about their rosters or scoring. Do you only start 1 TE and the guy trading Kelce is sitting on Engram? I'd investigate if I were you, but keep an open mind. This is an overpay for Goff, no doubt, but I've seen dumber trades than this. By the way, Shazier is the one I can't understand, lmao.
Best reply.

Don't be reactionary. Find out more information, get a feeling for both sides, and then get everyone on the same page before moving forward.
I get you. It is quick on the trigger, as I was. But your read and response to it is equally reactionary. "worst comment I ever read" and "leave whatever league your in". Let's taper it down a bit. Clearly this trade is flawed and wrong. We can play devils advocate all we want but the simplest explanation is usually the correct one. That explanation is: they either colluded or don't know who J. Goff is. Simple.
Team 1

Superflex, 1.0 point PPR

Team 2

hjernazian
Captain
Captain

Postby hjernazian » Thu Nov 16, 2017 1:45 am

sloth8u wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:38 pm Contract league, what do the contracts look like? This could very well explain the trade itself.
it doesn't matter imo
Last edited by hjernazian on Thu Nov 16, 2017 2:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Team 1

Superflex, 1.0 point PPR

Team 2