Trade Deadline in Dynasty football (includes poll)

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.

Does your Dynasty League have a trade deadline?

1) Yes, and it works well
62%
2) Yes, and I don't like it
20%
3) No, and I am happy we don't have a trade deadline
18%
4) No, I wish we had a trade deadline
No votes

Total votes: 99

Dynasty_Analyst
All Pro
All Pro

Re: Trade Deadline in Dynasty football (includes poll)

Postby Dynasty_Analyst » Thu Nov 14, 2019 12:01 pm

I don't think there should be trading in the playoffs but other than that no I don't like deadlines
Fantasy Writer- 5 Yard Rush
@5yardrush @5yarddynasty
https://5yardrush.co.uk/

Content Creator- The Coaches Fantasy Podcast
@coachesfantasy Thefantasycoaches.com

@Dynasty_Analyst - Dynasty content, advice, and tidbits. Hit me up anytime to chat about your dynasty team if you need trade advice, input on the direction to move your team, or anything else.

MrUbuto
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby MrUbuto » Thu Nov 14, 2019 1:51 pm

BeeziBad wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2017 1:36 pm i've been lucky that my league has owners with lots of integrity and ettiquete...our deadline is solely to add excitement to last minute deals for last minute playoff pushes. Never once have we, or I, had a complaint about it.
I actually just recently learned that not all leagues have a deadline. The idea of trades happened ing in the playoffs is bizarre
QB - DWatson(HOU)Minshew(JAX)Darnold(NYJ)
RB -NChubb(CLE)DHenry(TEN)JTaylor(IND)Gurley(ATL)
WR -DHopkins(ARI)ACooper(DAL)CGodwin(TB)OBJ(CLE)
TE - HHenry(SD)DGoeddart(PHI)
K - Zurlien(LAR)Crosby(GB)
Def - ARI DAL
[rookie] Haskins(WAS)DSwift(DET)Jefferson(MIN)MHardman(KC)
7th pick in 2021

Rosters must always be 3qbs 4wrs 4rbs 2tes 2kickers 2dst and protected players don't take up a roster spot, but are only for rookie/2nd-year players that were drafted

Straycatz2
Role Player
Role Player

Postby Straycatz2 » Thu Nov 14, 2019 5:09 pm

Our deadline is right before the playoffs. But removing deadline was discussed and people didn't like the idea of buying a championship. Just imagine what kind of weird things we would see if the NFL allowed trading during the playoffs too =D

thebeast
Legend
Legend

Postby thebeast » Fri Nov 15, 2019 1:51 pm

Goirish374 wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:15 am The prevalence of trade deadlines in dynasty is at its core merely a holdover from porting in settings from redraft—where the idea makes sense.

In dynasty the concern for collusion (as a reason for having a trade deadline) is unfounded as there are other built in ways of dealing with that during other times of the season. If your league has adequate safeguards in place against collusion during other times of the year, you don’t need an additional one in the form of a trade deadline. If your league doesn’t...well, then you have a different topic more worthy of discussion.

Mimicking the NFL seems an odd justification as we seem to have no problems not mimicking the nfl when it suits our prefence (2QB).

There’s an argument that you should have to play the playoffs with the team that got you to the playoffs...this seems quite random. Why is that more important than the week before the playoffs or the week after? It seems rooted in “this one time at fantasy football camp i lost a playoff game where i was the higher seed bc the lower seed mad a last minute trade.” That’s not all that compelling a reason to make a league-wide rule.
So I think the thing is that further out from the playoffs you have to be more calculated about your trades and everyone has to do a good self-assessment to figure out their team identity going forward and if they are sellers, buyers, or stay putters. With no trade deadline, owners have continuous new information each week and can readjust if they are buyer or sellers, and the market would literally change week to week. Think about that every week that a team is eliminated from the playoffs new players become available and you get into a situation where the final two teams can be making outrageous offers to the other 8,10,12,14 teams to add the best possible players for the Championship game. I like the trade deadline as it is an element of strategy, you have to figure out where you truly believe your team is going and how you want to manage it without all the info, but with the history of 10 or 11 weeks.

honcho55
All Pro
All Pro

Postby honcho55 » Fri Nov 15, 2019 8:43 pm

Huh. Never considered not having one at all. From some the posts here I can see an argument for not having one, and I find it pretty interesting that (at the time of my post) the votes for either having one but not wanting one, and not having one and liking it that way, isn’t too far behind the votes for having one and liking it. (Ugly sentence but should make sense)

Equally interesting, there’s no votes for not having a deadline and not liking it.

Something to think about.

I commish a keeper/salary league and I intended to bring up deadline for moving next year but I think this is enough to at least mention removal instead of moving.
main league, half PPR, all TDs 6, -3 for INT
12 team. 2019 champ, 2020 runner up, ‘21 3rd
start 2SF, 2RB, 2WR, 1TE, 2WRT

QB: T Lawrence, K Cousins, R Wilson, Z Wilson
RB: K Walker, T Ettiene, JK Dobbins, D Gore, J Hasty, D Johnson, L Rountree
WR: JJ, AJB, A Cooper, Juju, C Kirk, J Dotson, N Westbrook-Ikhine, I McKenzie
TE. T Kelce, Pitts, Albert O, D Parham, J O’Shaunessy

1.03, 1.11, 2.02, 2.09
Extra 24 1st

snaps06
Captain
Captain

Postby snaps06 » Mon Dec 09, 2019 10:25 am

This just became a big topic in one of my leagues after a recent trade right before the first week of the playoffs, after a normal deadline would have passed. About half of my dynasty leagues have no deadline, which I prefer. I like no deadline because it makes win-now pieces more valuable, and the point of fantasy football is to win championships, right?

Here was the trade during week 12, when a contender had major bye week issues.

Contender receives Mark Ingram, Terry McLaurin, Calvin Ridley (Julio owner), Emmanuel Sanders, and John Brown.

Rebuilder receives Evan Engram, Christian Kirk, Kyler Murray, Philip Lindsay, 2020 3rd, and 2020 4th.

The contender got immediate short-term help to win this year, and the rebuilding team got some great young assets and I think destroys this trade in the long run. Funny thing is, I got beat by the contender despite being a clear favorite before the trade, but I still support no deadlines.

Orenthal Shames
Legend
Legend

Postby Orenthal Shames » Mon Dec 09, 2019 10:31 am

Goirish374 wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:15 am The prevalence of trade deadlines in dynasty is at its core merely a holdover from porting in settings from redraft—where the idea makes sense.

In dynasty the concern for collusion (as a reason for having a trade deadline) is unfounded as there are other built in ways of dealing with that during other times of the season. If your league has adequate safeguards in place against collusion during other times of the year, you don’t need an additional one in the form of a trade deadline. If your league doesn’t...well, then you have a different topic more worthy of discussion.

Mimicking the NFL seems an odd justification as we seem to have no problems not mimicking the nfl when it suits our prefence (2QB).

There’s an argument that you should have to play the playoffs with the team that got you to the playoffs...this seems quite random. Why is that more important than the week before the playoffs or the week after? It seems rooted in “this one time at fantasy football camp i lost a playoff game where i was the higher seed bc the lower seed mad a last minute trade.” That’s not all that compelling a reason to make a league-wide rule.
/thread
16 team league
1 QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 TE, 2 Flex (RB/WR/TE)
26 upman rosters - full point ppr
2015, 17, 18, 19, 20 Champs

QB: Watson, Flacco Stidham
RB: Bijan, Gibbs, McLaughlin
WR: Olave, Addison, Flowers, Rice, Sutton, Downs, Mims, Tillman
TE: Kittle, Goedert, Chig, Woods
24 Picks: 1.06

Paul717
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Paul717 » Mon Dec 09, 2019 11:39 am

Sterling Archer wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2017 8:53 am I don't mind a trade deadline.

If you didn't have one, hypothetically you could have two teams in the championship, one of them a dominant team and one of them lucked into it with a couple bad holes in their starting lineup. You could have a dead team with two decent but likely retiring players that they'll get zero return for after the season. For the sake of the hypothetical, let's say it's Lynch and Fitzgerald and they've both got juicy week 16 matchups (I don't know, just making up a hypothetical). What's to stop the dead team from selling both of those players to the lucky playoff team for peanuts? Let's say a 4th round rookie pick. It is a win-win trade - the dead team got more for those players than they would have the next year and the lucky team just filled some holes, but at the same time it seems like the trade is bad for the league and unfair to the dominant team. Sure, he could've bid up those two players but his team did not need them. He shouldn't have to pay a high price for players of no worth to him just to avoid getting back-doored in the championship.
This is a great thread, thanks for bumping it whoever did.

Among the takes in this thread, the above is perhaps my favorite. Having not thought about this for long (I literally learned last week that some leagues don't have deadlines and my mind was blown!), the last sentence in the above sums it up for me.

Imagine: You've built a dominant, and deep team. You're in the Finals. There is no possible way you can lose to the other team which was not deep enough to survive injuries. You're going to take home the Championship! Except...your opponent overpays for players that you have no interest whatever in acquiring. Like, they have nice Week 16 matchups but otherwise aren't better long term than even the players on your bench. You lose because your opponent overpays for said players. Yuck.
"Marathon Square" - 16 team full PPR league with 24 player roster. Keep 16 per year indefinitely, draft 8. Start 1 QB, 2 RB, 3 WR, 1 TE, 1 K, 1 Team DST
QB: Jordan Love, Deshaun Watson
RB: Travis Etienne, Aaron Jones, Jamaal Williams, Kendre Miller, Jaleel McLaughlin, Sean Tucker, Deuce Vaughn
WR: A.J. Brown, Garrett Wilson, Tee Higgins, Calvin Ridley, Michael Wilson, Kendrick Bourne, Tutu Atwell, Allen Lazard, Isaiah Hodgins, Justin Shorter
TE: T.J. Hockenson, Cole Kmet, Kylen Granson
K: Didn't make the playoffs in 2023 :cry: , and don't usually hold one in the offseason
Team DST: Cowboys, Lions

Picks:
2024: 1.06, 2.06, 4.06, 5.06, 6.06, 7.06, 8.06

Disclaimer: My one and only Championship in this league was way back in 2011. Therefore, take my replies with the appropriate grain of salt. :lol:

mild
Legend
Legend

Postby mild » Mon Dec 09, 2019 2:51 pm

Paul717 wrote: Mon Dec 09, 2019 11:39 am

Among the takes in this thread, the above is perhaps my favorite. Having not thought about this for long (I literally learned last week that some leagues don't have deadlines and my mind was blown!), the last sentence in the above sums it up for me.

Imagine: You've built a dominant, and deep team. You're in the Finals. There is no possible way you can lose to the other team which was not deep enough to survive injuries. You're going to take home the Championship! Except...your opponent overpays for players that you have no interest whatever in acquiring. Like, they have nice Week 16 matchups but otherwise aren't better long term than even the players on your bench. You lose because your opponent overpays for said players. Yuck.
Our league has one of the earlier deadlines that I know of (Nov 7) for exactly this reason: it forces teams that are on the bubble to *truly* consider whether they are going for it or bottoming out.

It certainly makes the strategy pretty interesting. It was done this way to prevent exactly the scenario of team firesales / tanking, due to our league using PP to set the draft order.

Also our trades open back up immediately following the Week 16 fantasy final. Which means there's usually a flurry of trades right away from players that have changed value over the last few months, along with team owners preparing for roster cut-downs. (Our IR also disappears)

bjd5211
Legend
Legend

Postby bjd5211 » Mon Dec 09, 2019 3:01 pm

Prison_Mike wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 1:56 pm Bumping this because my home dynasty league just made the switch to NO DEADLINE (by majority vote)

I can't decide whether or not this was a mistake lol
As in they just changed before this season, or they changed the rules while the season is underway? I really don't care about there being no trade deadline, but changing rules midseason is not something that should be happening outside of very unique circumstances.

Paul717
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Paul717 » Tue Dec 10, 2019 8:34 am

mild wrote: Mon Dec 09, 2019 2:51 pm
Paul717 wrote: Mon Dec 09, 2019 11:39 am

Our league has one of the earlier deadlines that I know of (Nov 7) for exactly this reason: it forces teams that are on the bubble to *truly* consider whether they are going for it or bottoming out.

It certainly makes the strategy pretty interesting. It was done this way to prevent exactly the scenario of team firesales / tanking, due to our league using PP to set the draft order.

Also our trades open back up immediately following the Week 16 fantasy final. Which means there's usually a flurry of trades right away from players that have changed value over the last few months, along with team owners preparing for roster cut-downs. (Our IR also disappears)
Wow that is pretty early. Our league had a deadline of Nov 14, which is slightly early as well. I'm ok with it, even though some of my older players like Sanders may have been useful to playoff teams.

We also open up trading after the Week 16 Finals. But, most of the league hibernates until summer time, lol.
"Marathon Square" - 16 team full PPR league with 24 player roster. Keep 16 per year indefinitely, draft 8. Start 1 QB, 2 RB, 3 WR, 1 TE, 1 K, 1 Team DST
QB: Jordan Love, Deshaun Watson
RB: Travis Etienne, Aaron Jones, Jamaal Williams, Kendre Miller, Jaleel McLaughlin, Sean Tucker, Deuce Vaughn
WR: A.J. Brown, Garrett Wilson, Tee Higgins, Calvin Ridley, Michael Wilson, Kendrick Bourne, Tutu Atwell, Allen Lazard, Isaiah Hodgins, Justin Shorter
TE: T.J. Hockenson, Cole Kmet, Kylen Granson
K: Didn't make the playoffs in 2023 :cry: , and don't usually hold one in the offseason
Team DST: Cowboys, Lions

Picks:
2024: 1.06, 2.06, 4.06, 5.06, 6.06, 7.06, 8.06

Disclaimer: My one and only Championship in this league was way back in 2011. Therefore, take my replies with the appropriate grain of salt. :lol: