Gorilla Shark High Five Co-Dynasty League - Draft Tidbits

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
James McGhee
Captain
Captain

Gorilla Shark High Five Co-Dynasty League - Draft Tidbits

Postby James McGhee » Sun Aug 06, 2017 7:49 am

I thought I would share some bits and pieces of an on-going start-up draft for a 16-team (each team with at least 2 owners) full IDP league with large, 53 man rosters. Many of the owners are DLF forum members

It seems that the forum is often starved for content so I thought I would throw out a few sections of the draft I found interesting or unusual for the forum's consumption and community engagement. I'm starting with the top 12 QBs selected as I found it an interesting departure from the general consensus I've seen here. If there is a particular aspect of the draft you are interested, first round, a particular position, just reply below and I'll get to it.

When it comes to quarterbacks, this is a standard league. Start 1QB. Passing TDs = 4 points.

The thing I found interesting was the quarterbacks drafted and when. I've never taken part in a 16 team league and while I knew that the value of a QB was elevated in comparison to a standard 12 team 1QB league, I was still surprised by when they went off the board and who went off in what order. See below.

2.01 17. Rodgers, Aaron GBP QB
3.02 34. Prescott, Dak DAL QB
3.04 36. Luck, Andrew IND QB
3.11 43. Carr, Derek OAK QB
3.14 46. Ryan, Matt ATL QB
3.15 47. Winston, Jameis TBB QB
4.02 50. Mariota, Marcus TEN QB
4.04 52. Brady, Tom NEP QB
4.06 54. Newton, Cam CAR QB
4.07 55. Wilson, Russell SEA QB
5.03 67. Cousins, Kirk WAS QB
6.09 89. Stafford, Matthew DET QB

I've seen a lot of "top dynasty QB" discussion and it always seemed like Wilson and Newton were closely trailing Rodgers as the consensus top 3 and in this draft they fell quite a bit. I was a bit surprised to see that Prescott was taken second instead and Tom Brady taken eighth, before both Wilson and Newton.

Winston and Mariota, unsurprisingly to me, went closely to each other. However, it was the same team that drafted both of them near the 4th Rd/5th Rd turn. While it may be a unique draft strategy, it really underscores the importance of a young quarterback in a 16 team dynasty league.

None of the above were my selections as I waited perhaps a bit too long to draft a QB and ended up with:

10.10 154. Roethlisberger, Ben PIT QB

And then waited too long again for a second QB and ended up with:

21.07 327. Smith, Alex KCC QB

It's already clearly understood that QB will be a position of need for my team in the very near future. I may end up paying a hefty price to acquire a new starter as early as 2018.

Hope this tidbit spurs some conversation. More to come.
12 team league; 15 man roster; .5 pt PPR;
QB/RB/2 WR/TE/2 FLX/K/DEF

Tom Brady, Cam Newton
Mark Ingram, Kerryon Johnson, Rashaad Penny, Ronald Jones
AJ Green, Keenan Allen, Michael Thomas, Marvin Jones, Golden Tate, Keelan Cole
Rob Gronkowski
Will Lutz
Minnesota Defense

12 team league; 30-man roster; full PPR
QB/2 RB/2 WR/TE/3 FLX

Rodgers, Goff, Carr
Bell, J. Stewart, Foreman, Perine
Hopkins, K. Allen, Cooks, Hurns, Kupp, Lee, C. Samuel, Patterson, Taywan Taylor
Howard, Hooper, S. Anderson

Coogan Football
GOAT
GOAT

Re: Gorilla Shark High Five Co-Dynasty League - Draft Tidbits

Postby Coogan Football » Sun Aug 06, 2017 7:59 am

12 team 6pts all TDs/.5ppr/SFlex/ balanced IDP, scoring est. 2008
Start QB,SF,2RB,3WR,TE,2Flex,3DL,3LB,3DB,2DFlex
3x Champion 2015, 2016, 2017
QB: Brees, Luck, Prescott, McCarron, C.Kelly, Peterman
RB: Elliott, Gurley, Hunt, Kamara, Gordon, Howard, McCaffrey, J.Williams,
WR: Julio, Hopkins, M.Thomas, TY, Watkins, Kupp, C.Davis, Thomas (LA), Carroo, Switzer, Tr. Taylor
TE: Olsen, Engram, Howard, Fleener, Swoope
DL: Watt, Mack, C.Jordan, Bosa, D.Hunter, Clowney, Armstead
LB: Kuechly, Ogletree, Mosley, McKinney, R.Foster, Bucannon, Z.Cunningham, Anzalone, ShaqT,
, Goodson, Pullard,
DB: H.Smith, Vaccaro, B.Jones, Neal, Adoree, K.Joseph, Geathers, M.Maye, J.Jones, D Thompson

Don't be the guy that asks for advice without giving some out yourself
#WhoDat

Kcarr
Captain
Captain

Postby Kcarr » Sun Aug 06, 2017 10:02 am

Wilson and Newton are both coming off of down seasons and as much as dynasty is a long term play there is still a lot of recency bias even with guys locked into their jobs long term.

I would say my team here is another that went pretty late on qbs though we went ahead of you both times going tyrod and Palmer. We have added teddy b since then but could see that becoming a position of need at some point, especially at the qb2 spot if teddy doesn't come along
4th and long: ppr, 10 team, qb, rb, rb, wr, wr, wr, flex, flex, te, k, dl, dl, lb, lb, db, db, dflex, dflex

QB: Kirk Cousins Tyrod Taylor, Jared Goff
RB: Melvin Gordon, Ezekiel Elliot, Theo Riddick, D'Onta Foreman, James Conner, Jamal Williams
WR: Alshon Jeffrey, Amari Cooper, Sammy Watkins, Keenan Allen, Jordan Matthews, Cole Beasley, Robby Anderson, Corey Davis, Breshad Perriman, Eli Rogers
TE: Eric Ebron, , David Njoku, Jack Doyle
K: Will Lutz
DL: Frank Clark, Danielle Hunter
LB: Luke Kuechley, Bobby Wagner, Jordan Hicks, Mark Barron, Darron Lee
DB: Sean Davis, Morgan Burnett,

IR: Clayton Geathers, Quincy Enunwa, Raekwon McMillan

James McGhee
Captain
Captain

Postby James McGhee » Sun Aug 06, 2017 1:15 pm

Kcarr wrote: Sun Aug 06, 2017 10:02 am Wilson and Newton are both coming off of down seasons and as much as dynasty is a long term play there is still a lot of recency bias even with guys locked into their jobs long term.

I would say my team here is another that went pretty late on qbs though we went ahead of you both times going tyrod and Palmer. We have added teddy b since then but could see that becoming a position of need at some point, especially at the qb2 spot if teddy doesn't come along
I like Teddy as a human being but I'm not his biggest fan in terms of his quarterbacking. His deep ball is suspect and his throwing velocity always seemed to be slow enough to allow defenders time to close any separation between receive and defender.

His one saving grace for me was his mobility which is a concern now.

It's my opinion you'll be looking for a new QB before you're starting Teddy.

Tom Brady, Cam Newton
Rob Gronkowski
Will Lutz
Minnesota Defense

QB/2 RB/2 WR/TE/3 FLX

Rodgers, Goff, Carr

StableOfRBs
Starter
Starter

Postby StableOfRBs » Sun Aug 06, 2017 2:54 pm

another factor for the Newton/Wilson drop could be the fact that QBs lose .5 point per sack in this league and in Wilson's case his OL is literally the worst in the league (gets sacked on average 41 times a season, 37 for Newton) and both of these QBs have seen injuries add up over the years because of it with their respective teams spending little FA or draft currency trying to fix the situation in Newton's case he tends to hold onto the ball for a while and has a suspect OL (although McCaffrey/Samuel could fix that with a change in the way they run their offense)
Greek Mythology League - Heracles - 2QB/3RB/4WR/2TE/2Flex/2DT/2DE/4LB/2CB/2S/1DFlex:
https://www54.myfantasyleague.com/2022/home/13740#1

Marvel vs. DC League - Lords of Order - 1QB/2RB/3WR/1TE/1SFlex/2Flex/1DT/2DE/3LB/1CB/2S/1DFlex:
https://www54.myfantasyleague.com/2022/home/58114#1

Shcritters
MVP
MVP

Postby Shcritters » Sun Aug 06, 2017 5:48 pm

Dak as the #2 QB off the board is just absurd. Maybe I haven't read up on him enough, but I don't see him being top5 much less #2 ahead of Luck, Winston, and Carr not to mention that I'd rather have Wilson, Ryan, Mariota, and Newton over him.
Gopher Two
PPR SF, WR & TE Premium (WR 1.2 PPR , TE 1.5 PPR), 10 total starters, 1 QB, 1SF, 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 TE, 3 Flex
QB: Mahomes, Prescott, Mayfield
RB: Hall, Chubb, Connor, Pacheco, Mattison, DCook, Perine
WR: Tyreek, AJ Brown, JJeudy, CSutton, Flowers, MThomas, Slayton, DParker, CDavis, DMims
TE: DSchultz, Musgrave, MGesicki, McBride, Kraft, Dissly
2024: 1.02, 2.02
2022 and 2023 League Champ

SafeLeague #1 (SF, 2.0 PPR TE Prem). 10 total starters 1 QB, 1SF (QB/TE/RB/WR), 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 TE, 3 Flex
QB: Purdy, Levis, DTR
RB: Pacheco + scrubs
WR: Downs, MMims, EMoore, Jeudy, MWilson + scrubs
TE: Hock, Kincaid, Pitts, Mayer + scrubs
2024: 1.01, 1.05, 1.10, 1.12, 2.01, 2.02

SafeLeague #2
QB: Purdy, Richardson, Hooker, Willis
RB: Hull, Jackson, Vaughn, Wilson
WR: Mingo, MMims, Toney, Skyy, Iosivas
TE: LaPorta, Kincaid, McBride, Mayer, Musgrave, Schoonmaker (and a bunch more 2nd stringers)
2024: 1.01, 1.05, 1.06, 1.07, 1.09, 1.10, 1.12, 2.01

Vcize
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Vcize » Sun Aug 06, 2017 6:08 pm

Shcritters wrote: Sun Aug 06, 2017 5:48 pm Dak as the #2 QB off the board is just absurd. Maybe I haven't read up on him enough, but I don't see him being top5 much less #2 ahead of Luck, Winston, and Carr not to mention that I'd rather have Wilson, Ryan, Mariota, and Newton over him.
I actually think Dak is underrated, but I agree QB2 off the board is nuts.
12 Team FFPC TE Premium
QB: Herbert, Brady
RB: Barkley, Mixon, Jav Williams, Pierce, Drake
WR: Jefferson, AJ Brown, Metcalf, Hopkins, Peoples-Jones
TE: Kittle, Goedert

StableOfRBs
Starter
Starter

Postby StableOfRBs » Sun Aug 06, 2017 7:02 pm

not just the #2 QB off the board but with the 3.02 as well, taken ahead of guys like Landry, Gronk, Kelce, Diggs, etc.

we got way better value out of Tyrod as the QB15 when he was the QB8 last year in ESPN standard scoring playing in 15 games vs. Dak's QB6, sure it's dynasty and Dak is younger but Tyrod isn't even 30 yet and offers just as much in terms of rushing ability
Greek Mythology League - Heracles - 2QB/3RB/4WR/2TE/2Flex/2DT/2DE/4LB/2CB/2S/1DFlex:

Marvel vs. DC League - Lords of Order - 1QB/2RB/3WR/1TE/1SFlex/2Flex/1DT/2DE/3LB/1CB/2S/1DFlex:

Kcarr
Captain
Captain

Postby Kcarr » Sun Aug 06, 2017 11:30 pm

Honestly I don't know what was more odd to me, the Dak move or stacking Mariota and Winston. Also wentz went 7.09 which I felt was really good value by comparison
4th and long: ppr, 10 team, qb, rb, rb, wr, wr, wr, flex, flex, te, k, dl, dl, lb, lb, db, db, dflex, dflex

RB: Melvin Gordon, Ezekiel Elliot, Theo Riddick, D'Onta Foreman, James Conner, Jamal Williams
WR: Alshon Jeffrey, Amari Cooper, Sammy Watkins, Keenan Allen, Jordan Matthews, Cole Beasley, Robby Anderson, Corey Davis, Breshad Perriman, Eli Rogers

StableOfRBs
Starter
Starter

Postby StableOfRBs » Mon Aug 07, 2017 12:07 am

Kcarr wrote: Sun Aug 06, 2017 11:30 pm Honestly I don't know what was more odd to me, the Dak move or stacking Mariota and Winston. Also wentz went 7.09 which I felt was really good value by comparison
By itself the Wentz pick would be good value but the team that took him had taken Brees nine picks prior

With Brees locked in as a QB1 for the next 2-3 years they could've waited longer to take a younger guy like Dalton/Trubisky/Watson who have as much upside as Wentz does if not more (Dalton has already proven to be a top 10+ QB when the stars align), but can be had later in the draft, and used the 7.09 to get some youth at RB or at WR where they don't have a clear WR3 already, especially given that Cobb, Fuller, Maclin, Mike Williams and Tyrell Williams went within the next round (or D'onta Foreman to backup Miller)

Love the upside of Wentz especially with a revamped WR corps (especially if Agholor actually pans out) but the team that took him had greater needs elsewhere and it's kind of biting them in the bleep right now given the need to start at least 3 WRs

James McGhee
Captain
Captain

Postby James McGhee » Mon Aug 07, 2017 8:40 am

The upside to that situation though is that they have an "extra" QB to move if necessary to acquire WR help. I've casually inquired into Wentz, Mariota and Winston and the prices were steep.

Tom Brady, Cam Newton
Rob Gronkowski
Will Lutz
Minnesota Defense

QB/2 RB/2 WR/TE/3 FLX

Rodgers, Goff, Carr

Kcarr
Captain
Captain

Postby Kcarr » Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:17 am

I would agree with James here at least to some extent. I don't think they would be looking to trade out here but I think where this move makes sense is they have a top qb now to help them win right away and so long as wentz maintains expectations as a serviceable starter he is worth well more than this pick.

In a league this deep if you don't have a serviceable qb you won't win much. On top of that during the startup is the cheapest time to acquire a serviceable qb as you won't find one on waivers with a bunch of backups being rostered. This will create a situation where anyone selling a qb will have several buyers willing to pay as there are not enough to go around. Therefore if you don't have something steady at qb you are forced to either spend draft picks on one or overpay buying an established one. That means if you can lock up at least one startavle long term solution that is worth a lot more than those wrs and rbs mentioned meaning if wentz is that he was a great value

pierson242
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby pierson242 » Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:43 am

StableOfRBs wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2017 12:07 am
Kcarr wrote: Sun Aug 06, 2017 11:30 pm Honestly I don't know what was more odd to me, the Dak move or stacking Mariota and Winston. Also wentz went 7.09 which I felt was really good value by comparison
By itself the Wentz pick would be good value but the team that took him had taken Brees nine picks prior

With Brees locked in as a QB1 for the next 2-3 years they could've waited longer to take a younger guy like Dalton/Trubisky/Watson who have as much upside as Wentz does if not more (Dalton has already proven to be a top 10+ QB when the stars align), but can be had later in the draft, and used the 7.09 to get some youth at RB or at WR where they don't have a clear WR3 already, especially given that Cobb, Fuller, Maclin, Mike Williams and Tyrell Williams went within the next round (or D'onta Foreman to backup Miller)

Love the upside of Wentz especially with a revamped WR corps (especially if Agholor actually pans out) but the team that took him had greater needs elsewhere and it's kind of biting them in the bleep right now given the need to start at least 3 WRs
And we have AB and Hilton as our top 2 along with Thielen or Lee to play WR3, its also start 5 RBs in a 16 team league and we have 5 starters, everyone Is weak in at least one position, like you! We now have a win now QB as well as a top 10 QB2 whos still like 23.
Devy Writer and Ranker for DLF

Follow me on Twitter @PiersonFF

pierson242
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby pierson242 » Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:43 am

James McGhee wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2017 8:40 am The upside to that situation though is that they have an "extra" QB to move if necessary to acquire WR help. I've casually inquired into Wentz, Mariota and Winston and the prices were steep.
exactly why we toke him when we did! its a 16 teamer this drives player prices up due to scarcity!
Devy Writer and Ranker for DLF

Follow me on Twitter @PiersonFF

ADrunkenCaveman
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby ADrunkenCaveman » Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:58 am

Kcarr wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:17 am I would agree with James here at least to some extent. I don't think they would be looking to trade out here but I think where this move makes sense is they have a top qb now to help them win right away and so long as wentz maintains expectations as a serviceable starter he is worth well more than this pick.

In a league this deep if you don't have a serviceable qb you won't win much. On top of that during the startup is the cheapest time to acquire a serviceable qb as you won't find one on waivers with a bunch of backups being rostered. This will create a situation where anyone selling a qb will have several buyers willing to pay as there are not enough to go around. Therefore if you don't have something steady at qb you are forced to either spend draft picks on one or overpay buying an established one. That means if you can lock up at least one startavle long term solution that is worth a lot more than those wrs and rbs mentioned meaning if wentz is that he was a great value
This was exactly the reason we took Brees and Wentz..

With our Wrs being "weak" by the other owners opinion.. We have AB and Hilton in a 16 teamer to go along with Lee, Thielen, and Lafell.. One thing the guy who called our WR situation weak is that you can start up to 5 in this 16 teamer league and we have the following: Miller, Murray, Ingram, Riddick, and Gore.

With this also being a .5 ppr league you will be surprised with the difference in scoring. I am currently in 3 16 teamers that have .5ppr scoring and RBs are KING (most 16 teamers are this way) and you can't trade for one to save your life. I would gladly give up our 2018 1st to get a servicable WR3 to go with AB and Hilton. AB and Hilton will make our WR3 position far less worrisome simply because getting AB at the 5th pick and Hilton at the 24th pick is crazy value especially considering who went ahead of Hilton. AB I can see people going younger, but after we drafted him we went into a full win NOW mode hence getting Murray and Gore at the big value they were at as well.
17-2
The Wookies
12 team PPR League
S: 1QB, 2RBs, 3WRs, 1TE, 1FLEX, 1K, 1DEF

QBs: Brady, Flacco
RBs: Zeke, D Murray, McKinnon, Powell
WRs: Hopkins, Cooks, J Nelson, Baldwin, R Matthews, Quick
TEs: Reed, Rudolph, Davis
K: Dawson
DEF: CAR, BAL

9-1
Tune Squad
16 team .5PPR League
S: 1QB 1RB 1WR 1TE 3FLEX

QBs: Wilson, Keenum, Flacco
RBs: McCoy, Howard, McKinnon, B Allen, Woodhead
WRs: Evans, Julio, Tate, Smith
TEs: Rudolph, Clay

8-2
Midwest Folks
Co-Owner: pierson242
16 team .5PPR Full IDP League
S: 1QB 2RB 3WR 1TE 3FLEX

QBs: Brees, Wentz, Beathard
RBs: Murray, Miller, Ingram, Gore, Riddick
WRs: AB, Hilton, Dez, Tate, Lafell, Inman, Rodgers, Kearse
TEs: Rudolph, Davis, Watson
DTs: Short, McCoy, Lotulelei, Allen, Sims
DEs: Dunlap, Hicks, Wolf, Robison
LBs: Kirksey, Williams, Foster, Hicks, Perryman, Posluszny, Alexander, Walker, Morgan
CBs: Alford, Slay, Harris, Waynes, Randall, Bradberry, Trufant
Ss: Vaccaro, Mathieu, Church, Evans, Sendejo