Scoring affect rankings?

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
Dingram
All Pro
All Pro

Scoring affect rankings?

Postby Dingram » Tue Aug 01, 2017 7:00 am

How much would different scoring affect your rankings? I understand PPR vs standard scoring has vast differences. Referring to one particular league I'm involved. It's PPR scoring, but the receiving yards are 15 yards per point as opposed to 10. I feel the scoring slightly favors RB's in general, but I'm curious if the scoring would affect how people ranked this years crop of RB's.

sloth8u
Degenerate
Degenerate

Re: Scoring affect rankings?

Postby sloth8u » Tue Aug 01, 2017 7:50 am

i dont believe this particular setting would change anything. at the end of the day....its 15 yds. so the guy gets 30,45, 60, or 75.....2,3,4,5....rather than 3,4,5,6,7.... i simply would not let 1 or 2 pts impact my rankings when it comes to receiving yds for rbs. a 3 down back is a 3 down back....its very hard to start ppr backs based on yds, your concerned with catches, not yards.

Kramer
MVP
MVP

Postby Kramer » Tue Aug 01, 2017 9:22 am

Rankings should be based on positional advantage. So if a player has a huge edge over other players (i.e. Gronk), then his value will skyrocket. So based on the scoring, you can adjust accordingly. If a certain scoring has a position all bunched together (like QBs in 1QB leagues), then the value of the position will not be high as you can find a cheap replacement. If scoring settings are changed to where the top players are scoring twice as much as the average players, then the value of that position will skyrocket relative to the rest of the positions. This is why the top 3 RBs are going super early in redraft leagues as they provide a huge edge over other RBs, more so than the top WRs do over the other WRs.

So in your case where receiving yards are 15 yards per point, I don't think it should impact your rankings much. Definitely not for WRs. I think the real impact would be on receiving backs. It will slightly knock their value down a bit relative to other RBs, who might primarily get their points from rushing yards. Otherwise, there shouldn't be too much of an impact.
10 team SF .5ppr-QB,2RB,3WR,TE,Flex,SF,Def (30 spots)
QB: Allen, AR, Brissett
RB: Mixon,Barkley,Rhamondre,Foreman
WR: Deebo,Adams,Jeudy, Devonta,Nuk
TE: Knox,Chig, Woods, Ferguson
2023 picks: 2, 3, 6, 8, 9, 10, 12, 13, 14, 18, 19, 20
2024 picks: 3 2nds
2025 picks: 3 2nds

Tsunami
All Pro
All Pro

Postby Tsunami » Tue Aug 01, 2017 10:05 pm

The mathematical answer is that you see how it changes the top player's score relative to the average starter, and then compare that to other positions. For example if your league starts 50 WRs and WR1 had 1400 yards and WR50 had 800 then this costs them 20 points for the season. It might cost the top RBs 5-10 points relative to average starter. So it would slightly lower the value of WRs and raise the value of QBs (since they lose nothing). But as you can see, it's not a big deal in practice. Whereas a point per reception would give probably twice this advantage to WRs, if not more.

There are other things to consider. Some WRs get a lot of yardage but not a lot of TDs, and vice versa. So this would affect T.Y. Hilton more than Donte Moncrief. So you might target the players that get red zone touches or the offenses that score more. But it's not a huge difference.

grooner
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby grooner » Wed Aug 02, 2017 6:38 am

It also depends on starting requirements, if there are a lot of flexs for rbs/wr, this would make rbs more valuable as you can start more, and they score more than wrs. If it's just a plain 1qb/2rb/3wr/1te, it won't change much.

maxhyde
GOAT
GOAT

Postby maxhyde » Wed Aug 02, 2017 10:34 am

Rankings adjust for me in a sliding scale based on the top 5-10 at any position relative to other positions
DLF HOF League 16 team PPR
QB: Brees, Bradford, Lock(3.07)
RB: David Johnson, Penny, Sanders(1.07), Montgomery(1.06), Love(2.07) Bernard, MLynch, Morris, TJLogan, Joe Williams, Shaun Wilson
WR: Jeffery,Cooper, Josh Gordon, Dede Westbrook, Cam Meredith, Brice Butler, Chester Rogers, Lockett, Switzer, Malone, Cain (IR)
TE: Gronk, Swaim, Maxx Williams