Kirk Cousins Discussion Thread

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
abajaba
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Re: Kurt Cousins?

Postby abajaba » Thu Jul 20, 2017 1:27 pm

clarion contrarion wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2017 11:27 am terrelle pryor ? , dj swearinger , zach brown & terrell mcclain to name a few quality signings. Although I do not disagree that the skins are seemingly lost .. KC should be so dang thankful rather than holding out for the last penny if he truly wants to be a redskin as he has stated . Him getting every last dime will only make it harder to put the pieces around him and as a matt schaub type he will need all the help he can get - the ravens have seen what paying top of the market for a mid range qb gets them for ROI.
Where are the Matt Schuab comparisons coming from? Dude throws a pretty good deep ball and has back to back season with great numbers. Also, he seems like an excellent leader but different than most. He gets his guys going based on energy like when you were a kid playing pickup football. I'm with everyone else here, guys a good player and will perform regardless if its in a Redskins or 9ers jersey.
8 Team PPR Year 8: 2/3/4/1/DEF
2016 & 2018 Champion :dance:
QB-Rivers,Cousins,Eli,Tannehill
RB-Gurley,Fournette,Connor,Bell,McKinnon,Dion Lewis,Ballage,Yeldon,Doug Martin
WR-Evans,Nuk,Cooks,Diggs,ARob,Woods,John Brown,Doctson,Boyd,Ross,
TE-Kittle,Graham,Doyle

Rookie Picks: '19 - 3.8/4.8; '20 - 2nd/4th

Tsunami
All Pro
All Pro

Postby Tsunami » Fri Jul 21, 2017 2:23 am

jeffster wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2017 6:34 am
clarion contrarion wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2017 4:27 am for my $ cousins is a joke , a dime store drew brees stat boy qb that was an healthy RG3 away from signing a mike glennon type deal 2 years ago to be a bridge starter/career backup . Instead rg3's inability to stay healthy and grow as a qb he has banked 44 million last year and this and stands on the precipice of a powerball style payout without winning a playoff game . He needs to shut up and pray no one finds out he very mediocre he is until the next check gets endorsed and deposited . If you want your team to have alex smith matt schaub level of qb mastery then by all means sign him up . If however you want to win super bowls or playoffs games stay far away .
What are you basing that on?
There's always been a lot of Cousins hate on this board and this contrarian guy has been predicting his failure for years now. Some people have a hard time admitting when they are wrong. viewtopic.php?f=5&t=78797

I likened him to Brett Favre in September 2014 and wow did I get mocked for that. This contrarian gets to be as wrong as he wants and everyone overlooks it.
Tsunami wrote: Fri Sep 26, 2014 7:13 pm Cousins is better than RG3 if you watch the games. When Cousins is in, the offense moves. When Griffin is in, the offense stalls. I still think he can be great. He tried a little too hard to get things going last night. Cousins reminds me of Brett Favre, who holds the NFL record for most all-time interceptions thrown. He might not have the best stats yet but he'll improve, and I'm still impressed.

clarion contrarion
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby clarion contrarion » Fri Jul 21, 2017 3:31 am

check out schaub's age 28 season and cousins age 28 season and you will see the comp a bit more clearly.
as for tsunamis claim that I have been bashing cousins for years well I did miss the prediction that he wouldn't be a qb1 in a 12 team league last season . MY BAD! I seriously doubt he led many teams to titles like the previous year when his strong came out of the blue to nearly all.
so congrats tsunami you were right about KC and everyone else nearly everyone else on that linked thread was wrong . You have any more tricks or was that your only one , the book on cousins is far from written but plenty of qbs looked great for a while only to be found out as pyrite rather than gold and for me cousins is a textbook example . It is only a matter of when he flounders ! not if !
hey 1st prediction missed so I will try again - coming up real quick a skins 5-11 season and he beats the posse out of town runs off to san fran and signs a hugely disappointing deal compared to what he could have signed in washington and within a yearor two loses the job and becomes a backup or retires!
.....this has been a public service announcement from forum superstar clarion contrarion
QB luck- driskell
WR ant brown evans c davis golladay godwin gordon j washington doctson watson lazard patrick henderson
RB mixon cohen chubb aaron jones hunt malcolm brown
TE eifert howard njoku
K tucker DEF pittsburgh chicago
2012 , 2014 2015 2016 2017 & 2018 ACDL Champion 5 IN A ROW 6 in 7 years- now that is dynasty!
2013 ACDL runner up
2013 2014 2017 & 2018 (Undefeated 15-0 ) WORILDS OF HURT CHAMPION
2010 2014 & 2015 7 Rings for Steeltown CHAMPION 2011 & 2013 7 rings runner up
2018 Experts Dynasty League Champion
there is no after football
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.
— Leonardo da Vinci

tstafford
GOAT
GOAT

Postby tstafford » Fri Jul 21, 2017 3:47 am

remedy29 wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2017 3:52 am I think Cousins will be stupid if he leaves Washington. He is a decent talent, but Washington is loaded at the receiver position. He won't be that lucky anywhere else he goes.
This must be sarcastic, right? Loaded at WR?!?

grooner
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby grooner » Fri Jul 21, 2017 6:01 am

Tsunami wrote: Fri Jul 21, 2017 2:23 am
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=78797
My favourite part from that old post is where people kept saying Brady was overrated. He was having a bad year, and all of a sudden he is a replacement level talent. Even though this is a dynasty board, people don't always treat it as a dynasty.

Forgot to chime in about Cousins. I feel like Washington is making a mess of this situation. Could this be a situation like Flacco where cousins gets over paid and isn't close to as good as his contract? Sure. I think Cousins is better than that, and is on par with Carr who just got paid.

drbuttermaker
Role Player
Role Player

Postby drbuttermaker » Fri Jul 21, 2017 4:54 pm

clarion contrarion wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2017 4:27 am for my $ cousins is a joke , a dime store drew brees stat boy qb that was an healthy RG3 away from signing a mike glennon type deal 2 years ago to be a bridge starter/career backup . Instead rg3's inability to stay healthy and grow as a qb he has banked 44 million last year and this and stands on the precipice of a powerball style payout without winning a playoff game . He needs to shut up and pray no one finds out he very mediocre he is until the next check gets endorsed and deposited . If you want your team to have alex smith matt schaub level of qb mastery then by all means sign him up . If however you want to win super bowls or playoffs games stay far away .
That is a lot of words just to say "I did not watch Big Ten football at the turn of the decade."

remedy29
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby remedy29 » Sun Jul 23, 2017 9:32 am

tstafford wrote: Fri Jul 21, 2017 3:47 am
remedy29 wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2017 3:52 am I think Cousins will be stupid if he leaves Washington. He is a decent talent, but Washington is loaded at the receiver position. He won't be that lucky anywhere else he goes.
Seriously? Can you name teams that are more talented than Reed, Pryor, Crowder, a first Rd WR in Doctson. Where are they lacking?

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Cameron Giles » Sun Jul 23, 2017 11:28 am

What choice does he have unless the Redskins make a respectable offer?

The offer that Bruce Allen leaked was awful. They didn't offer any new money. It was about $28 million guaranteed and then a series of unguaranteed option years after that. So basically, Cousins would play under the franchise tag this year and the equivalent of the transition tag, then the Redskins control his destiny for 4 years. It's such a one-sided offer that's not worth entertaining.

Washington's brass has done a terrible job with these negotiations. They are basically lowballing him every year and hoping he faceplants so that they can say "See, he's not that good." Then they can swoop in and lowball some more.

remedy29
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby remedy29 » Sun Jul 23, 2017 1:04 pm

Cameron Giles wrote: Sun Jul 23, 2017 11:28 am
What choice does he have unless the Redskins make a respectable offer?

The offer that Bruce Allen leaked was awful. They didn't offer any new money. It was about $28 million guaranteed and then a series of unguaranteed option years after that. So basically, Cousins would play under the franchise tag this year and the equivalent of the transition tag, then the Redskins control his destiny for 4 years. It's such a one-sided offer that's not worth entertaining.

Washington's brass has done a terrible job with these negotiations. They are basically lowballing him every year and hoping he faceplants so that they can say "See, he's not that good." Then they can swoop in and lowball some more.
So what is a respectable offer? The highest paid qb in the league at over 25M per year? I like Cousins, think he is a solid qb, but can he have a strong year or win a playoff game first? The NFL is not all about stats, you actually have to win games. Cousins has been given plenty of offensive weapons, not to mention a strong offensive line, and he has put up the stats. Can he help put up the wins?

Someone compares David Carr to Cousins. I've watched both players play, Carr's talent is evident with every 40 yard throw he makes with ease. Cousins is not in his class talent wise.

My point is Cousins should sign a reasonable contract and try and stay as Washington QB as long as he can. He is in a great situation for a QB. Or he can chase the money, but he can also be laughing stock in 3 years.

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Cameron Giles » Sun Jul 23, 2017 1:38 pm

remedy29 wrote: Sun Jul 23, 2017 1:04 pm So what is a respectable offer? The highest paid qb in the league at over 25M per year? I like Cousins, think he is a solid qb, but can he have a strong year or win a playoff game first? The NFL is not all about stats, you actually have to win games. Cousins has been given plenty of offensive weapons, not to mention a strong offensive line, and he has put up the stats. Can he help put up the wins?

Someone compares David Carr to Cousins. I've watched both players play, Carr's talent is evident with every 40 yard throw he makes with ease. Cousins is not in his class talent wise.

My point is Cousins should sign a reasonable contract and try and stay as Washington QB as long as he can. He is in a great situation for a QB. Or he can chase the money, but he can also be laughing stock in 3 years.
QB is and always will be the most important position in the NFL. Because of that, even QB's who are considered above-average can get huge contracts. Matt Stafford isn't an elite QB and has never won a playoff game, but he will still get a HUGE contract extension.

Stafford's extension should be used as a baseline for Cousins deal.

Shoreline Steamers
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby Shoreline Steamers » Sun Jul 23, 2017 1:49 pm

Fun fact:

Kirk Cousins has been the starting QB for the Championship Team for the last two years in my redraft league. And that's on two different owner's squads. He may not be the best NFL QB, but he puts up serviceable fantasy stats.

Also agree with those who feel Carr/Stafford extensions will only set the market for what Cousins should be expecting. Washington probably should have locked him up reasonably when the had the chance. But they gambled on him failing, and so far have been losing that bet.
14 Team, No-PPR, 20 Man Roster, TD Heavy, TD = 6, FG = 3, Start: QB, 2RB, 2WR, TE, Flex, K, D
QB: L. Jackson, B. Purdy, T. Lance
RB: J. Mixon, N. Chubb, A. Dillon, J. Cook, K. Mitchell, J. McLaughlin, Z. Evans
WR: J. Chase, C. Godwin, D. Johnson, J. Reed, C. Tillman
TE: TJ Hockenson, D. Njoku, B. Jordan

14 Team, .5 PPR, 18 Man Roster, Rush/Rec TD = 6, Pass TD = 4, FG = 3, Start: QB, 2RB, 2WR, TE, Flex, K, D
QB: L. Jackson, T. Tagovailoa
RB: B. Robinson, K. Walker, R. Stevenson, K. Herbertl
WR: C. Olave, T. Higgins, B. Aiyuk, N. Collins, Z. Flowers, M. Mims
TE: K. Pitts, D. Njoku

ArrylT
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby ArrylT » Sun Jul 23, 2017 2:17 pm

Some of the awards Schaub won:

2× Pro Bowl selection (2009, 2012)
Pro Bowl MVP (2009)
NFL passing yards leader (2009)
4× AFC Offensive Player of the Week

If what clarion is saying is that any reasonably decent QB in the right situation can appear better than he actually is - I'll definitely agree to that.

There are only so many people who can play quarterback at an elite level. If some feel Cousins can - I'll respect that opinion - but I think he is more of a decent to good QB in a good situation (in the sense that he has weapons and a system that suits him). At the same time he probably does not deserve all the "hate" he gets.
Please speak to clarion contrarion before considering the use of vetos..

ColdZealDonkeyStrike
MVP
MVP

Postby ColdZealDonkeyStrike » Sun Jul 23, 2017 5:35 pm

Cracks me up when people pick players with a bad rep as a comp just because they don't like the player being discussed. Cousins is much closer to Drew Brees than he is to Alex Smith (and I am not saying he is close to Brees, it is just that silly of a comp). Schaub was a pretty decent QB for a couple years, he just got injured (Lisfranc, I think?), lost his mobility, got sacked a lot more, lost his confidence, and wasn't the same afterward. It happens to lots of QBs. It is actually a decent comp, just not exactly ominous for Cousins unless you are predicting his body to break down as quickly as Schaub's did.

If Cousins had such little confidence in himself that he would prefer to take less money rather than risk getting exposed, then he would be a QB I want to avoid. I love that he is betting on himself and making the skins look dumb, and am cheering for him to continue proving them and certain grammarless posters wrong :D
Dynasty player since 2002.
I probably should have done something more productive with that time...

remedy29
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby remedy29 » Sun Jul 23, 2017 6:27 pm

Despite all the hate they received, I think the Redskins have played this situation right up to this point. Cousins wants to be the highest paid player at the position in NFL history and is getting paid close to that this year, despite little accomplishments. The Redskins have no commintent beyond this year. They either go 7-9 and Cousins looks average, or they go 10-6 and win a playoff game or two. If that happens, I agree Cousins is going to get paid. If he goes 7-9, will a team really be offering him 75M guaranteed at 25M a year? Maybe they do, but the Redskins still have the opportunity to match.

ericanadian
Legend
Legend

Postby ericanadian » Sun Jul 23, 2017 7:46 pm

remedy29 wrote: Sun Jul 23, 2017 9:32 am
tstafford wrote: Fri Jul 21, 2017 3:47 am
Seriously? Can you name teams that are more talented than Reed, Pryor, Crowder, a first Rd WR in Doctson. Where are they lacking?
Pryor has had one solid season, Crowder was the Skins WR3 in terms of output last year, Reed gets injured a lot and Doctson hasn't done anything. They are elite in terms of potential, but I think most would prefer production. I think the Falcons, Raiders, Giants, Eagles, Bengals, Broncos, Chargers, Packers, Cardinals, Steelers have better receiver groups and arguably the Dolphins, Titans & Lions have comparable or better receiving corps.
All I Der Is Win - 16 Team IDP League (Pass TD 6pts)

QB - Stafford, Stroud, Tune
RB - Swift, Hall, Penny, Bigsby, Ford
WR - Pittman, Olave, Di. Johnson, G. Wilson, J. Williams, Metchie, Robinson, M. Wilson
TE - Okonkwo, Schoonmaker
LB - Brooks, R. Smith, Phillips
DL - Crosby, Allen, Simmons
DB - D. James, Baker, Delpit
K - Just a stupid kicker