Head Scratcher of a trade - can someone explain this?

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
WhatWouldDitkaDo
GOAT
GOAT

Re: Head Scratcher of a trade - can someone explain this?

Postby WhatWouldDitkaDo » Mon Jul 10, 2017 10:38 am

At the end of the day, the 1.01 (any asset really) is valued differently by every league. It might be a bit light for me to sell the 1.01, but that owner liked the offer better than what you proposed. That's really the bottom line. Ty Montgomery was recently traded in one of my leagues for the 1.02. I wouldn't pay that much, but if that owner loves him and thinks he's the next elite RB, that's his prerogative.
Kittles Pox | Championships: 2015, 2017
12-Team PPR | QB, 2RB, 2WR, TE, W/R/T, K, DST
QB: Kyler Murray, Aaron Rodgers
RB: Christian McCaffrey, Melvin Gordon, James Conner, Phillip Lindsay, Tevin Coleman, Boston Scott, Benny Snell Jr.
WR: Tyreek Hill, Mike Evans, Cooper Kupp, Michael Gallup, Christian Kirk
TE: George Kittle, Travis Kelce | K: Younghoe Koo | DST: SF
PS: Mecole Hardman, Tony Pollard | 2020 Picks: 1.09, 2.10, 3.03 | 2021 Picks: 1st, 2nd

Goirish374
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Goirish374 » Mon Jul 10, 2017 11:38 am

...and there it is, "the balance of the league."
Dynasty League Football Premium League Almanac:
2020 Champ: me again! (no, for reals!)
2019 Champ: me!
2018 Champ: Qazxswedcvfrtgbnhyuj
2017 Champ: Irishdoom
2016 Champ: DDT(wakelawyer)
2015 Champ: BigChiefBC

AZK
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby AZK » Mon Jul 10, 2017 11:47 am

Ainslie-Rachlin Law, "Our decisions... are guided by the perceived values at the moment of the decision - not by the potential final value."

iceman68
Role Player
Role Player

Postby iceman68 » Mon Jul 10, 2017 3:38 pm

done even bother wasting your time, thought, and effort into this new guy. He will implode his team. But it would've been nice if you got that trade instead of his offer and counter.
12 Team, 24 man roster, 4 reserve slots, 1.0 ppr, 0.3 points per carry
1-QB, 2-RB, 3-WR, 1-TE, 2-FLEX

QB: T Tagovailoa, J Dobbs
RB: A Kamara, D Swift, J Jacobs, K Hunt, E Elliott, L Murray, C Patterson, J Wilson, K Drake, D Henderson, C Reynolds, N Chubb
WR: T Hill, M Evans, M Thomas, D. Hopkins, A Robinson, J Bobo, N Agholor, M Hardman
TE: M Andrews, D Njoku, C Otton

2024 1-2-4-5-5
2025 1-1-4-4-5-5
2026 1-2-3-3-5

Chris_R
MVP
MVP

Postby Chris_R » Mon Jul 10, 2017 4:03 pm

I honestly don't get the angst. So you're upset he made a deal with you and didn't charge you more? That deal isn't far off, I made the exact same type of deal in my sig to get Zeke last year. 1.05, 2017 1st, + a 2nd and parts. I guess I don't get why the other owner is getting ridiculed so much with so many names through this thread. Maybe he is new to dynasty. Maybe he personally likes some players in that deal. But it's hardly ruining the balance of anything, and it's his team so he should run it how he wants.

I remember after Charles tore his ACL I traded a future 2nd to get him. Somebody in the league complained it was too cheap and it was messing up the balance. 2 years later he still hasn't played a game(barely) since and the owner had a mid 2nd round pick to work with. Sometimes we won't know the true winners in deals until years later.
12 Team ppr Dynasty IDP Superflex
1 QB, 1 QB/RB, 1 RB, 1 WR, RB/WR, WR/TE, 1 TE, 2 DL, 2 LB, 2 DB, 2 DL/LB/DB

QB: Dak Prescott/Kyler Murray
RB: Jonathan Taylor/James Robinson/D'Onta Foreman/Chris Hubbard/Keontay Ingram
WR: Jamar Chase/Diontae Johnson/Amron St Brown/Courtland Sutton/Rondale Moore/Donovan Peoples-Jones/Christian Watson
TE: Dalton Schultz/Gerald Everett/Greg Dulcich/Jeremy Ruckert

DL: Joey Bosa/Khalil Mack
LB: Leighton Vander Esch/Tremaine Edmunds/Blake Martinez/Telvin Smith/Sean Lee
DB: Earl Thomas/Keanu Neal/Minkah Fitzpatrick/John Johnson

Picks: 2023(three)

ArrylT
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby ArrylT » Mon Jul 10, 2017 7:33 pm

Chris_R wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2017 4:03 pm I honestly don't get the angst. So you're upset he made a deal with you and didn't charge you more? That deal isn't far off, I made the exact same type of deal in my sig to get Zeke last year. 1.05, 2017 1st, + a 2nd and parts. I guess I don't get why the other owner is getting ridiculed so much with so many names through this thread. Maybe he is new to dynasty. Maybe he personally likes some players in that deal. But it's hardly ruining the balance of anything, and it's his team so he should run it how he wants.

I remember after Charles tore his ACL I traded a future 2nd to get him. Somebody in the league complained it was too cheap and it was messing up the balance. 2 years later he still hasn't played a game(barely) since and the owner had a mid 2nd round pick to work with. Sometimes we won't know the true winners in deals until years later.
Some owners simply do not get the concept of different owners have different valuations - if you dont adhere to their strict definition of what is fair or not fair, you're either a n00b, an idiot or intentionally wrecking the league. It is kind of "ironic" considering DLF is sort of built on the idea that there are different ways to build a team and different ways to value players, but not everyone is capable of the flexible thinking needed - some just are black & white thinkers with little to no shades of grey.

Not that there is anything wrong with that - different people different abilities - just a possible explanation why you will see many of these types of responses.
Please speak to clarion contrarion before considering the use of vetos..

Tsunami
All Pro
All Pro

Postby Tsunami » Mon Jul 10, 2017 9:06 pm

Different owners have different valuations yes, but making trades based solely on your own valuation is stupid. The idea is to get as much value as you can, which means finding which other owner has the highest valuation for your player and getting as close to that as you can. In the rare case that you know your favorite player is going to be way better than everyone else realizes, except for the one other guy who owns him, a stupid trade could be justified. But even then the odds are you're just wrong. And in this case they certainly could have gotten more for 1.1 if they had shopped around.

Pullo Vision
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Pullo Vision » Tue Jul 11, 2017 4:01 am

Tsunami wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2017 9:06 pm Different owners have different valuations yes, but making trades based solely on your own valuation is stupid. The idea is to get as much value as you can, which means finding which other owner has the highest valuation for your player and getting as close to that as you can. In the rare case that you know your favorite player is going to be way better than everyone else realizes, except for the one other guy who owns him, a stupid trade could be justified. But even then the odds are you're just wrong. And in this case they certainly could have gotten more for 1.1 if they had shopped around.
Don't think we can say the former 1.1 owner didn't shop it. We do know they tried to sell it to the OP, and their negotiating skills were sub-par, since they made a take-it-or leave-it offer right at the beginning. It's certainly possibly they did that with multiple owners in this league and finally realized they were putting too high a price on the pick. Now, whether they accepted the counter they received at that point, or this third team negotiated them down to that price, would be an interesting question.
League #1- 14 tm ppr, 1Q, 2R, 3W, 1T, 1 R/W/T, 1K
1 DT, 2 DE, 2 LB, 1 CB, 1 S, 1 flex

League #2- 12 team PPR, 1Q, 1R, 2W, 1T, 1 R/W/T, 1 W/R/T, 1 Def

League #3- 12 tm PPR, 1Q, 0R (yes, ZERO RB) 3W, 1T, 2 R/W/T flex, 1 Def

onetwothree
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby onetwothree » Tue Jul 11, 2017 4:39 am

Tsunami wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2017 9:06 pm Different owners have different valuations yes, but making trades based solely on your own valuation is stupid.
Wait, what???

It's your team. You can trade on any criteria you want. If everyone traded solely on ADP, what's the point in playing? What's fun about just looking at a list and only doing things everyone else agrees with? Trades would never get done.

I think everyone here obviously wouldn't do this deal but the end result is this owner walked away with 2 1sts for his 1 1st. There are worse ways to spend 1.01. (And yes, I understand the value of picks but there are plenty of owners who will overpay for 1.12 but scoff at 2.1 even if it's just 12 vs 13. There's still an allure to saying to saying you added an additional 1st)

I don't get where he's an asshole or peckerhead because he targeted someone specific, was rebuked a few times and moved on. The hot girl at the bar can't be mad that the dude bugging her left with the ugly chick if she had already denied him a few times. :P

StableOfRBs
Starter
Starter

Postby StableOfRBs » Tue Jul 11, 2017 4:43 am

onetwothree wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2017 4:39 am
Tsunami wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2017 9:06 pm Different owners have different valuations yes, but making trades based solely on your own valuation is stupid.
Wait, what???

It's your team. You can trade on any criteria you want. If everyone traded solely on ADP, what's the point in playing? What's fun about just looking at a list and only doing things everyone else agrees with? Trades would never get done.

I think everyone here obviously wouldn't do this deal but the end result is this owner walked away with 2 1sts for his 1 1st. There are worse ways to spend 1.01. (And yes, I understand the value of picks but there are plenty of owners who will overpay for 1.12 but scoff at 2.1 even if it's just 12 vs 13. There's still an allure to saying to saying you added an additional 1st)

I don't get where he's an asshole or peckerhead because he targeted someone specific, was rebuked a few times and moved on. The hot girl at the bar can't be mad that the dude bugging her left with the ugly chick if she had already denied him a few times. :P
I kind of get what he's saying, like if I had Ajayi and didn't think he was gonna pan out this year I would still sell him as though he was a top 5 RB instead of an RB2 like I believed he would be, he just kinda worded it poorly
Greek Mythology League - Heracles - 2QB/3RB/4WR/2TE/2Flex/2DT/2DE/4LB/2CB/2S/1DFlex:
https://www54.myfantasyleague.com/2022/home/13740#1

Marvel vs. DC League - Lords of Order - 1QB/2RB/3WR/1TE/1SFlex/2Flex/1DT/2DE/3LB/1CB/2S/1DFlex:
https://www54.myfantasyleague.com/2022/home/58114#1

djeternal2
Captain
Captain

Postby djeternal2 » Tue Jul 11, 2017 5:42 am

StableOfRBs wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2017 4:43 am
Wait, what???

I kind of get what he's saying, like if I had Ajayi and didn't think he was gonna pan out this year I would still sell him as though he was a top 5 RB instead of an RB2 like I believed he would be, he just kinda worded it poorly
I don't think he worded it poorly at all if you read the whole post. He ends with "And in this case they certainly could have gotten more for 1.1 if they had shopped around." which I don't think any of us can say that for sure without being in the league and shopping the 1.01. Personally I wouldn't have done the deal the 1.01 owner made. i would've waited til I was on the clock then posted the pick was up for grabs and see what comes in. But I can get a dynasty noob coming in and wanting to make a move to make the team his own right from the word go instead of waiting. Again not a move I would've made but I can understand it especially after seeing how talks broke down with this owner (and I get the 1.01 owner made a stand that this owner wasn't going to budge on) and now the owner that didn't get the 1.01 is on here calling the new owner a peckerhead and his trade a dumbass trade. Makes me wonder what this owner may have said to the new owner in trade discussions.
10 tm ppr 1 QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, 2 Flex, TE, K, TDEF (Yr 6)
QB - Ryan, Wentz
RB - Gurley, A Jones, Cohen, Kerryon, Dam Williams, Duke, I Smith, Armstead, T Carson
WR - AJG, Watkins, ARob, A. Cooper, K Allen, M Williams, Godwin, Callaway, JJAW
TE - Gesicki, I Smith, Herndon, Eifert, Sternberger, Dissly

10 tm TE prem 1 QB, 2 RB, 3 WR, 1 TE, 1 Flex, K, 2 DB, 2 DL, 2 LB (Yr 5)
QB - Mahomes, Mayfield, Wentz,
RB - Zeke, Chubb, Kerryon, Duke, Edmonds, B Hill
WR - Nuk, AJG, ARob, JJS, Samuel, MVS, T Smith, D Hamilton, Gallup, K Johnson
TE - Njoku, Eifert, Herndon, I Smith, I Thomas, Moreau
DL - Watt, K Clark, Q Williams
LB - D Jones, D Bush
DB - K Neal, Bell

DLF Early Birds - 16 tm SF (1 QB, 2 RB, 3 WR, 1 TE, 2 Flex, 1 SF
QB - A Rodgers, Darnold, Rosen, M Rudolph, Luck
RB - Damian Williams, J Howard, Duke, AP, Gore
WR - Julio, Golladay, Kirk, Stills, Manny Sanders, N Harry
TE - Jarwin, Gesicki, Boyle, Sprinkle

clarion contrarion
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby clarion contrarion » Tue Jul 11, 2017 6:35 am

Wait, what???

this exactly ! , I could mostly care less what most or everyone thinks of a player ! Even the so called experts and pros are wrong a bunch and much of my dynasty success has come being a contrarian or "LOSING TRADES". As I stated in my earlier post I don't like the deal for the 1:1 but I don't like OP's rejected offer a helluva lot either so there is that .
I personally find people's devotion to their leagues parity or equality of fake football amusing as dynasty is in the title of the hobby - my 1st thought when undertaking this was how do I build a 70s steelers or 60s packers version in the leagues I am in. I want to decimate and demoralize my competition and if they get all sniffly and quit I take that as a compliment .
I wonder where in the participation trophy society we live in john wayne or albert einstein would fit in as they wanted to be the best or outshine everyone ? would the duke have to temper there desire to own the most cattle and catch the bad guys 1st ? would einstein have to foul up a few equations so as to not ruin the curve for everyone else ?
My best advice is to buck up , run your own team and let others run there own. Just keep a book on others tendencies and take full advantage of their blind spots .
as a great american said when asked
why do you need to wreck this company ?
Because its wreckable ,all right ?
.....this has been a public service announcement from forum superstar clarion contrarion
QB luck- driskell
WR ant brown evans c davis golladay godwin gordon j washington doctson watson lazard patrick henderson
RB mixon cohen chubb aaron jones hunt malcolm brown
TE eifert howard njoku
K tucker DEF pittsburgh chicago
2012 , 2014 2015 2016 2017 & 2018 ACDL Champion 5 IN A ROW 6 in 7 years- now that is dynasty!
2013 ACDL runner up
2013 2014 2017 & 2018 (Undefeated 15-0 ) WORILDS OF HURT CHAMPION
2010 2014 & 2015 7 Rings for Steeltown CHAMPION 2011 & 2013 7 rings runner up
2018 Experts Dynasty League Champion
there is no after football
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.
— Leonardo da Vinci

BigJoeWall72
Role Player
Role Player

Postby BigJoeWall72 » Tue Jul 11, 2017 7:18 am

This might be the worst take I've ever seen here. There are way too many examples that I've seen just from ONE of my leagues were the value on one side or the other of a trade would have been deemed way too much or way too little by this forum and others. A team owner had targeted a specific player without much current value and made sure that their offer would be noticed and/or could not be turned down, or had deemed a certain player/asset on their team a must trade at all costs. Sometimes people who play this game pick up on stuff way before the masses, and that it would be very unwise for them to use someone else's valuations when makes trades for their team.

As for the OP... I know you don't care about this trade not involving you or the pieces you thought it might, but you sound pretty hurt about this trade not lining up with your perceived values. To that end, I'll just say that forums can be an echo chamber (in a bad way) sometimes and that every single league is different.

Goirish374
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Goirish374 » Tue Jul 11, 2017 7:42 am

i think all Tsunami is trying to say with that one particular portion of his post is that:

-it is generally wise to get what the market value is for an asset who the market values more than you do if selling

(if you are dumping a guy bc only you realize he is about to implode and you think he's worth a 4th round rookie pick going forward but the community still sees him as 3x1sts...you should try to get more than a 4th)

and

-try to pay only what the market values for an asset that the market values less than you do when buying.

(you recognize the next big thing as being worth 3x1sts but the community sees him as maybe a 2nd round rookie pick value, try to get him for close to a 2nd).

obviously your own value is the final word...and that gives you a great advantage in both scenarios as you can back off the market price and still feel that you are getting a great deal since your own valuation is so far away.

i'm not endorsing other elements of this discussion--i generally hate these butt hurt trade threads--and im trying to speak for someone else without their permission, so i could also just be plain wrong on Tsunami's intent.
Dynasty League Football Premium League Almanac:
2020 Champ: me again! (no, for reals!)
2019 Champ: me!
2018 Champ: Qazxswedcvfrtgbnhyuj
2017 Champ: Irishdoom
2016 Champ: DDT(wakelawyer)
2015 Champ: BigChiefBC

WhatWouldDitkaDo
GOAT
GOAT

Postby WhatWouldDitkaDo » Tue Jul 11, 2017 7:56 am

Tsunami wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2017 9:06 pmDifferent owners have different valuations yes, but making trades based solely on your own valuation is stupid. The idea is to get as much value as you can, which means finding which other owner has the highest valuation for your player and getting as close to that as you can.
Yes, it's generally wise to get the most value out of your player or pick in a trade. However, I will trade the 2017 1.01 for Jamison Crowder if that's who I really want, and the Crowder owner will accept nothing less. Yes, I "lose" the trade on value, but I get the player I want, and that's all I care about. The other owners can go screw themselves because I'm building my team how I want, and there is absolutely zero cheating or collusion going on.
Kittles Pox | Championships: 2015, 2017
12-Team PPR | QB, 2RB, 2WR, TE, W/R/T, K, DST
QB: Kyler Murray, Aaron Rodgers
RB: Christian McCaffrey, Melvin Gordon, James Conner, Phillip Lindsay, Tevin Coleman, Boston Scott, Benny Snell Jr.
WR: Tyreek Hill, Mike Evans, Cooper Kupp, Michael Gallup, Christian Kirk
TE: George Kittle, Travis Kelce | K: Younghoe Koo | DST: SF
PS: Mecole Hardman, Tony Pollard | 2020 Picks: 1.09, 2.10, 3.03 | 2021 Picks: 1st, 2nd