Sell me on Rob Kelley

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
nabright
All Pro
All Pro

Re: Sell me on Rob Kelley

Postby nabright » Sun Jun 18, 2017 8:36 am

With what most people are willing to give for Kelley, I think he's a hold. It's possible he holds onto the job. Perine was a 4th pick, so they aren't married to him. He's lost weight this offseason, so he coming in prepared to fight to keep the job.
Team 1
12tm, Super-flex, 1PPR, start QB/RB/RB/WR/WR/WR/TE/FLEX/OP
QB: ARod, Wilson, Goff, Winston, Taysom Hill
RB: Cook, Mack, Barber, L. Murray, Ito Smith, Bibbs
WR: ARob, Kupp, Miller(Chi), Agholar, Doctson, Grant, Gordon Z. Jones, Quinn(Wsh), Wilson(Mia)
TE: Reed, Ebron, Andrews, V. Davis, Gates, Herndon
Team 2
12tm, Super-flex, 1PPR, start QB/RB/RB/WR/WR/TE/FLEX/FLEX/OP
QB: Luck, Tanny, Goff
RB: Henry, Drake
WR: Nuk, ARob, Cooper, JuJu, Shepard, Hurns, Lockett, Stewart, Kupp
TE: Doyle, Allen, Clay
Team 3
14tm Super-flex, 1.5PPR and 1.5pts per 10yds for TEs, 1PPR for WRs, .5ppr and .25ppc for RBs. start QB/RB/RB/WR/WR/TE/FLEX/FLEX/OP
QB: Luck, Goff, Jones
RB: Henry, Ekeler, Howard, Hines, Kelley, McKinnon, Samuels
WR: Cooks, Ridley, Ross, Callaway, Moncreif, MWilliams, Enunwa, Kupp, Golladay, Kearse, Reynolds
TE: Howard, Hurst

crisdecamposmd
Rookie
Rookie

Postby crisdecamposmd » Sun Jun 18, 2017 9:12 am

Goddard wrote: Sat Jun 17, 2017 1:56 pm
Dynasty DeLorean wrote: Sat Jun 17, 2017 9:13 am I think people underestimate the value of having the trust of the coaching staff. Those coaches LOVED them some Matt Jones and Rob replaced him.
So why wouldn't they replace Rob just as easily if they think they have a better option. Seems like having the trust of the coaching staff is only as good as your production.
When you fumble it 8 times, and lose 6, including within 5 yards of the end zone... you lose your job.

crisdecamposmd
Rookie
Rookie

Postby crisdecamposmd » Sun Jun 18, 2017 9:22 am

Cameron Giles wrote: Sun Jun 18, 2017 7:15 am Most of Kelley's value stems from:

-Coach speak
-Not being Matt Jones
-Opportunity

As an RB, he's not very good. Usually mediocre RB's who are propped up by situation fade quickly in dynasty. He runs hard, which is great, but he doesn't do anything else exceptionally well and doesn't have any physical traits that stand out either.

Washington doesn't have someone who should be a primary back on their roster. Perine and Kelley are very similar, though Perine at least has a history of better college production.

This belief is so common it blows me away. I watch him and think what does he NOT do well? If you were to make one wish to get from a RB it would be 2-5 yards without fumbling every single time you touch the ball. He averaged 4.2 in his first year playing RB since High School... Consistently turned negative plays into 4 yard gains... and never fumbled. He's big enough to be an every down back and to be a good blocker. And if you haven't watched him he has some of the quickest feet of any 233 pound player I've ever seen. Oh, and to top that off he went from 18% to 12% body fat and from 228 lbs to 233 since last season, so he may be even quicker.

StableOfRBs
Starter
Starter

Postby StableOfRBs » Sun Jun 18, 2017 9:24 am

Still not seeing any stats/tape to back up this "but he's just not good" argument, his college production doesn't mean anything now that he's produced at the NFL level, just look at tyreek hill, who didn't do much in college and then lit up defenses last year and who people are incredibly high on (and for the record Matt Harmon and John Paulsen from 4for4 subscribe to the same logic), either way I'd love someone to give me something to back up their hate of the guy who last year had the 14th best YPC of all RBs with 150+ carries
Greek Mythology League - Heracles - 2QB/3RB/4WR/2TE/2Flex/2DT/2DE/4LB/2CB/2S/1DFlex:
https://www54.myfantasyleague.com/2022/home/13740#1

Marvel vs. DC League - Lords of Order - 1QB/2RB/3WR/1TE/1SFlex/2Flex/1DT/2DE/3LB/1CB/2S/1DFlex:
https://www54.myfantasyleague.com/2022/home/58114#1

ericanadian
Legend
Legend

Postby ericanadian » Sun Jun 18, 2017 9:55 am

Just to clear something up for all those citing his college stats as to why he sucks, Kelley played mostly fullback in Tulane. This is a major reason why he got so few carries and likely contributed to his low YPC.
All I Der Is Win - 16 Team IDP League (Pass TD 6pts)

QB - Stafford, Stroud, Tune
RB - Swift, Hall, Penny, Bigsby, Ford
WR - Pittman, Olave, Di. Johnson, G. Wilson, J. Williams, Metchie, Robinson, M. Wilson
TE - Okonkwo, Schoonmaker
LB - Brooks, R. Smith, Phillips
DL - Crosby, Allen, Simmons
DB - D. James, Baker, Delpit
K - Just a stupid kicker

SteveMaddensShoes
Legend
Legend

Postby SteveMaddensShoes » Sun Jun 18, 2017 12:53 pm

I believe he may have also played some TE at Tulane as well but I'd have to double check that.
TEAM 1 - 12 man SF. ppr, TEP 1.65 ppr

11 starters - QB, RB(2) WR(3) TE, SF, Flex(3)

Stroud, Kyler, Bryce Young, Anthony Richardson, Minshew, Trey Lance, Dalton l, Mike White

Breece, Achane, AJ Dillon, Justice Hill, Evan Hull, Chris Rodgriquez

Chase, Lamb, Waddle, Olave, London Drake, Demario Davis, Jake Bobo

Kyle Pitts, Mark Andrews, Kincaid, Schoonmaker

24 picks - 1x2, 3,4,5

Team 2-
12 man SF, .25ppc, .5ppr rbs, 1 ppr wr, 1.5 ppr TE

Joe Burrow, Trevor Lawerence, Jake Haehner, Jake Browning

JT, Kendre Miller,, K Ingram, Ty Chandler, Michael Carter, Kenny Macintosh, Sean Tucker

Puka, Rondale, Mooney, Wan’dale, Terrace Marshall, DPJ, Justyn Ross, Xavier Hutchinson,

Kyle Pitts, Luke Musgrave, Juwan Johnson, Darnell Washington, Jelani Woods, Elijah Higgins

24 - 1st x 3, 2nd x 2, 4th x 3 ,5

SteveMaddensShoes
Legend
Legend

Postby SteveMaddensShoes » Sun Jun 18, 2017 12:57 pm

I like the guy alot. Plays hard. Protects the ball. Does everything well. Seems to be training really hard. I "discovered" him last year and have an attachment to him for that reason. I just moved him in a deal and I'm a little sad about it. But you should normally just play the odds in these situations regardless the reasons and what not. UDFA's and late rounders just don't pan out. Sell them and invest in something else. It's statistically the right move.

Stroud, Kyler, Bryce Young, Anthony Richardson, Minshew, Trey Lance, Dalton l, Mike White

24 picks - 1x2, 3,4,5

Team 2-

JT, Kendre Miller,, K Ingram, Ty Chandler, Michael Carter, Kenny Macintosh, Sean Tucker

Puka, Rondale, Mooney, Wan’dale, Terrace Marshall, DPJ, Justyn Ross, Xavier Hutchinson,

Kyle Pitts, Luke Musgrave, Juwan Johnson, Darnell Washington, Jelani Woods, Elijah Higgins

_yeti
All Pro
All Pro

Postby _yeti » Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:38 am

He isn't bad he is just a hard worker who made the most of his opportunity. He has backup level skills. The power of Perine is being underestimated because the fantasy community is all gaga for receiving and backs hitting home runs and doesn't care about short-yardage, inside running, or tough yards anymore. Coaches still care about that stuff.

Perine is a truck. Kelley is an average backup. His year last year was not unlike Rawls making the most of his rookie year but Perine is better.

Perine takes over completely and leaves Kelley on the bench.
Remember where you are - this is Thunderdome.
*5 leagues (est. 2015, '17, '18, '18, '22, 6 total 'ships)

12 Team SF, PPR, TE Prem., DT prem., IDP Start 10, QB, 1SF, 2-4 RB, 2-5 WR, 1-3 TE, 2DL, 2LB, 2DB, 1 IDPflex
QB: J. Fields, B. Mayfield, G. Smith, M. Mariota, S. Darnold
RB: T. Etienne, T. Pollard, S. Barkley, J.Jacobs A. Jones, , A. Gibson, D. Harris, Z. Moss, E. Elliott
WR: G. Wilson, T. Higgins, T. McLaurin C. Kirk, D. Hopkins, K. Toney. K. Osborn, M. Hardman
TE: T.J. Hockenson, K. Pitts, H. Henry
DL: M. Parsons, Q. Williams, D. Buckner, R. Gary
LB: F. Oluokun, R. Smith, A. Anzalone. L. David
DB: B. Baker, J. Metellus, R. Grant

Sou1Ca1iber
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby Sou1Ca1iber » Mon Jun 19, 2017 12:38 pm

The best offer I've received for him in my leagues has been an '18 3rd. If that's the best I can get then I'm going to hold him all day. He is definitely not spectacular but a highly drafted rookie performed like he did in their first year this would be an entirely different conversation.

I don't expect amazing numbers out of him but a solid RB2 season is not out of reach if he stays the main back (which people already assume he will lose immediately), there is value to having already done it at the NFL level.

Valhalla
Legend
Legend

Postby Valhalla » Mon Jun 19, 2017 7:28 pm

Peyton Hillis was a super hard working former fullback (cleared the way for DMC and Felix Jones, two first round rbs, and he was the only one of the three to make the madden cover). He didn't last, though, even with tons of fan fare and coach love. Maybe Kelley will be different, but I think perine looks like a feature back.

Tsunami
All Pro
All Pro

Postby Tsunami » Mon Jun 19, 2017 7:31 pm

Situation and value. He's a 24 year old starting RB and he's being taken after 32 year olds and backups.

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Cameron Giles » Mon Jun 19, 2017 8:40 pm

crisdecamposmd wrote: Sun Jun 18, 2017 9:22 am This belief is so common it blows me away. I watch him and think what does he NOT do well? If you were to make one wish to get from a RB it would be 2-5 yards without fumbling every single time you touch the ball. He averaged 4.2 in his first year playing RB since High School... Consistently turned negative plays into 4 yard gains... and never fumbled. He's big enough to be an every down back and to be a good blocker. And if you haven't watched him he has some of the quickest feet of any 233 pound player I've ever seen. Oh, and to top that off he went from 18% to 12% body fat and from 228 lbs to 233 since last season, so he may be even quicker.
Kelley is solid at doing the bare minimum. He runs hard, he consistently gains positive yardage and he doesn't fumble. Coaches like RB's who can do that, but they are ultimately replaceable skills. Hats off to him for making the most of his opportunity, but if Kelley was a free agent, no NFL team would sign him to be their starter. He's an average talent at best, who's being boosted by situation. Maybe he can give you cheap RB2 production this season, but will he be a long-term starter anywhere? I just don't see it.

SteveMaddensShoes
Legend
Legend

Postby SteveMaddensShoes » Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:55 am

Sou1Ca1iber wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2017 12:38 pm The best offer I've received for him in my leagues has been an '18 3rd. If that's the best I can get then I'm going to hold him all day. He is definitely not spectacular but a highly drafted rookie performed like he did in their first year this would be an entirely different conversation.

I don't expect amazing numbers out of him but a solid RB2 season is not out of reach if he stays the main back (which people already assume he will lose immediately), there is value to having already done it at the NFL level.
Like I said earlier, he may end up just being a work horse for a long time. It was before my dynasty days and very early FFL days, but I remember Shonn Greene being a plodder. But year after year he kept plodding along as a startable rb2 I think. Maybe Kelley does the same for several years. It's just foolish to bet on it though. Play the long game and sell him. And if you can't straight sell him for more than a 3rd, try and package something to buy another undervalued guy. Add something to him to get John Brown or Kevin White. Add a 2nd to him and try for Treadwell. Try and find a buy low and use him as part of the deal. Go get Jack Doyle or CJ Fedorwixchsikchekwicsiscchsx. Someone who is going to stick around for awhile or rise in value. Not specifically them, but someone who is getting ready to have a good year. Bruce Ellington maybe... You get my point.

24 picks - 1x2, 3,4,5

Team 2-

Vcize
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Vcize » Tue Jun 20, 2017 12:04 pm

crisdecamposmd wrote: Sun Jun 18, 2017 9:22 am
Cameron Giles wrote: Sun Jun 18, 2017 7:15 am Most of Kelley's value stems from:

-Coach speak
-Not being Matt Jones
-Opportunity

As an RB, he's not very good. Usually mediocre RB's who are propped up by situation fade quickly in dynasty. He runs hard, which is great, but he doesn't do anything else exceptionally well and doesn't have any physical traits that stand out either.

Washington doesn't have someone who should be a primary back on their roster. Perine and Kelley are very similar, though Perine at least has a history of better college production.

This belief is so common it blows me away. I watch him and think what does he NOT do well? If you were to make one wish to get from a RB it would be 2-5 yards without fumbling every single time you touch the ball. He averaged 4.2 in his first year playing RB since High School... Consistently turned negative plays into 4 yard gains... and never fumbled. He's big enough to be an every down back and to be a good blocker. And if you haven't watched him he has some of the quickest feet of any 233 pound player I've ever seen. Oh, and to top that off he went from 18% to 12% body fat and from 228 lbs to 233 since last season, so he may be even quicker.
I don't necessarily dislike Kelley and think he's a decent dart throw at his current value, but it's worth noting that 4.2ypc came behind the same line that Matt Jones, who may not even be good enough to be on a roster at the start of the season, averaged 4.6ypc behind.
12 Team FFPC TE Premium
QB: Herbert, Brady
RB: Barkley, Mixon, Jav Williams, Pierce, Drake
WR: Jefferson, AJ Brown, Metcalf, Hopkins, Peoples-Jones
TE: Kittle, Goedert

StableOfRBs
Starter
Starter

Postby StableOfRBs » Tue Jun 20, 2017 1:14 pm

Vcize wrote: Tue Jun 20, 2017 12:04 pm
crisdecamposmd wrote: Sun Jun 18, 2017 9:22 am

-Coach speak
-Not being Matt Jones
-Opportunity

I don't necessarily dislike Kelley and think he's a decent dart throw at his current value, but it's worth noting that 4.2ypc came behind the same line that Matt Jones, who may not even be good enough to be on a roster at the start of the season, averaged 4.6ypc behind.
Yeah but Matt Jones issue isn't his running ability, it's his ball security also his career rushing average is a 3.9 behind that very same line

It's also worth noting that his average is propped up a bit by the 8.4 YPC he had against the Eagles in week 6, in 4/7 games he was under 4.0 YPC, once he became the starter Kelley was <4.0 YPC in 4/9 games but also didn't play a full game in 2 of them
Greek Mythology League - Heracles - 2QB/3RB/4WR/2TE/2Flex/2DT/2DE/4LB/2CB/2S/1DFlex:
https://www54.myfantasyleague.com/2022/home/13740#1

Marvel vs. DC League - Lords of Order - 1QB/2RB/3WR/1TE/1SFlex/2Flex/1DT/2DE/3LB/1CB/2S/1DFlex:
https://www54.myfantasyleague.com/2022/home/58114#1