Marvin Jones?

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
IBall2
All Pro
All Pro

Marvin Jones, worth another look?

Postby IBall2 » Wed Mar 09, 2016 8:04 am

Rotoworld has said he is signing with the Lions which is interesting. They also go on to say he will be the #1 WR and note Golden Tate, which I found odd. Do you guys think He will take over Megatron's position or will he be a #2 again just like in Cinci?

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/7503/marvin-jones

Schmev22
Role Player
Role Player

Re: Marvin Jones, worth another look?

Postby Schmev22 » Wed Mar 09, 2016 8:06 am

I don't think you can really choose a #1 between Jones and Tate at this point. They're both #2s until they prove otherwise right? Maybe they both get a chance to be the guy and Maybe one will emerge.

akbfrosty
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby akbfrosty » Wed Mar 09, 2016 8:22 am

Obviously he's not Megatron, but Marvin Jones fits extremely well into the offense, filling the exact need they just lost.

He's going to be an intermediate to deep route runner, and, when you have a QB with an arm like Stafford, the deep guy can put up some numbers. Jones has already shown an ability to get in the end zone...he's certainly got double digit TD upside as a top red zone target with the Lions. As far as the receiving game goes, Jones deep, Ebron over the middle, Tate and Riddick underneath sounds pretty good to me. I wouldn't be surprised if both Jones and Tate are mid WR 2's at the end of the year...Tate with more receptions, but Jones with more TDs.

JJDubya
MVP
MVP

Postby JJDubya » Wed Mar 09, 2016 8:25 am

I think there won't be much separating Jones and Tate by the end of the year. I think Tate could get the edge in PPR leagues, with Jones getting it in standard (which thankfully I don't play in). I can't see one player dominating, that's for sure.

IBall2
All Pro
All Pro

Postby IBall2 » Wed Mar 09, 2016 8:26 am

akbfrosty wrote:Obviously he's not Megatron, but Marvin Jones fits extremely well into the offense, filling the exact need they just lost.

He's going to be an intermediate to deep route runner, and, when you have a QB with an arm like Stafford, the deep guy can put up some numbers. Jones has already shown an ability to get in the end zone...he's certainly got double digit TD upside as a top red zone target with the Lions. As far as the receiving game goes, Jones deep, Ebron over the middle, Tate and Riddick underneath sounds pretty good to me. I wouldn't be surprised if both Jones and Tate are mid WR 2's at the end of the year...Tate with more receptions, but Jones with more TDs.
This is along the lines of what I was thinking. Neither one will be a top 10 WR but both good WR2's.

ckbeav
Role Player
Role Player

Postby ckbeav » Wed Mar 09, 2016 10:20 am

this is a great high profile landing spot. i think he's worth more in a trade than actuality now, at least in my league. he's my highest priority sell.
Last edited by ckbeav on Wed Mar 09, 2016 10:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
10-Team, PPR, WR, WR, RB, RB, TE, W/T, W/R
QB: CJ Stroud
WR: AJ Brown, Drake London, Jordan Addison, Josh Downs, Demario Douglas, Christian Watson, Elijah Moore, Marvin Mims, Wan'Dale Robinson, Rashod Bateman
RB: Bijan Robinson, Jonathan Taylor, Javonte Williams, Ken Walker, Zach Moss, Jaleel McLaughlin
TE: T.J. Hockenson, Sam LaPorta, Luke Musgrave, Greg Dulcich, Jelani Woods
2013, 2016, 2021 Champ

Servo
All Pro
All Pro

Postby Servo » Wed Mar 09, 2016 10:21 am

Just curious, did Jones ever show out when AJ was hurt/not playing?

akbfrosty
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby akbfrosty » Wed Mar 09, 2016 10:29 am

ZappBrannigan wrote:Just curious, did Jones ever show out when AJ was hurt/not playing?
Marvin was out for the 2014 season, so he unfortunately did not get a chance to do so.

FWIW, he did score 10 TDs across from Green in his sophomore season.

holy_stromboli
MVP
MVP

Postby holy_stromboli » Wed Mar 09, 2016 10:41 am

JJDubya wrote:I think there won't be much separating Jones and Tate by the end of the year. I think Tate could get the edge in PPR leagues, with Jones getting it in standard (which thankfully I don't play in). I can't see one player dominating, that's for sure.
Bingo.

As for Tate, anybody is a downgrade from Megatron, so I see this as a bump in value for both Jones and Tate from where they were last year. Tate still caught 90 balls last year, and I think he could flirt with 100 this year. I could see Jones getting 10 TDs again -- but can he really catch the 88 Megatron had last year? Seems like a slight stretch.

I'm just glad they decided to fill the WR hole via FA so they don't burn a 1st round pick on a WR again. :lol:

Dynasty DeLorean
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Dynasty DeLorean » Wed Mar 09, 2016 10:59 am

Lions would be a great landing spot for him.

tstafford
GOAT
GOAT

Postby tstafford » Wed Mar 09, 2016 3:58 pm

His current ADP is WR54. That's going to skyrocket. Anyone who happened to get him in start-ups at that price recently is fortunate indeed. He's a capable player going to a prolific passing attack. He will be a week one starter for most owners.

mullmania
MVP
MVP

Postby mullmania » Wed Mar 09, 2016 10:00 pm

As a Golden owner I'm happy with this. Solid presence across the field without being so dominant that they need to force action his way.

Good move all around for the Lions it seems.

BuckeyeNation
GOAT
GOAT

Postby BuckeyeNation » Wed Mar 09, 2016 10:22 pm

As the resident DLF president of the Marvin Jones fan club, I'm ecstatic with this landing spot. The only destinations I would have theoretically preferred would have been ATL or the Giants. Even that's arguable. I think he has a ton of upside in DET and could flirt with top 20 WR numbers this season

I was worried that I was taking a risk by buying as many shares of Marvin as I have over the past 6 months, but I'm thrilled with this outcome. At the very least there will be an opportunity to sell him for a profit before the season starts if I decide I don't want to own him in as many leagues.
-TEAM 1. Year 5 '15/'16 Champ
Ben
Freeman/Cook/Hyde/Crowell/AP/Rawls/JWill(GB)/Gallman/Vereen/Smallwood/Clement
Julio/Jordy/Crowder/Enunwa/JuJu/Zay/Treadwell/JJNelson/Anderson/Switzer
Olsen/Graham/Gathers/Kittle

-TEAM 2- Year 5 '13/'16 Champ-'14/'15 R/U
Luck/Cousins
Bell/Hunt/Gillislee/Henry/Charles/Rawls/Burkhead
Brown/Jordy/Tate/Moncrief/Enunwa/Meredith/Zay/JJNelson/Anderson/Stewart
Olsen/Ebron/Henry

-TEAM 3- Year 5
'13-'15 R/U
Cam/Smith/Trubisky
Zeke/CJA/Montgomery/Ware/Charles/Booker/Burk/Smallwood/Cohen
Brown/Hilton/Diggs/Marvin/Pryor/Parker/Maclin/Meredith/JJNelson
Reed/Doyle/Miller/Gathers

-TEAM 4- Year 3
Wilson/Mariota
Ajayi/Howard/Hyde/Riddick/Vereen/Burk/Clement
OBJ/ARob/MThomas/Landry/Adams/Crowder/MJones/White/Lee/Samuel
Olsen/Rudolph/Swoope/Barnidge

Factory of Sadness
Starter
Starter

Postby Factory of Sadness » Thu Mar 10, 2016 12:01 am

I've been greedily buying up Marvin stock too- which is helping me through my share of our collective Yeldongrief.
I like him a lot as a player and think the ceiling is high. The Bengals really didn't need a poor man's AJ Green when they had the real one, but a poor man's AJ Green is no bad thing. He's a legit deep threat, runs crisp routes and should fit in really well with Tate. I like this move for him a lot as the Lions O looked good at the end of last year. With Riddick and Abdullah out of the backfield- and hopefully something from Ebron- I think they could be a problem for opponents. Both he and Tate can run the intermediate routes well, whilst Jones offers the deep option and Tate is sensational ball in hand after the catch. I like both he and Tate a lot more than most people seem to because I think they are both smart, tough, technically sound guys who offer a lot of flexibility to an O. The Bengals didn't need that from Jones really and although Tate has done well in Detroit Lombardi was no-one's idea of a schemer to make the most of him.
I think there's a fair bit of snobbery towards any WR who isn't a legit beast and will happily spend my time picking up guys like Jones where I can.

ZPalmtree
Captain
Captain

Postby ZPalmtree » Fri Mar 11, 2016 2:27 pm

Without reading anything but the opening question, I live in Michigan, can't say I am a die hard Lion's fan, but I think that Tate and Jones will produce about equally give or take. I just think that with Tate, Jones, Ebron, and Abbdulah or Riddick being their skills players there isn't a clear #1 target. So I think the ball gets spread around a lot more, they may depend on Stafford but I know that Tate, Jones, and Riddick all have remarkabky low drop rates. Basically I think their new GM (who is from the Pat's org) is just trying to create a plan to not drop the ball. Obviously Ebron has bricks for hands, but I have hopes he developed. Anyone thinking or assuming Jones will replace or put up Megatron numbers should just quit fantasy.