Marvin Jones?

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
pokerface40
All Pro
All Pro

Marvin Jones?

Postby pokerface40 » Fri Jun 02, 2017 4:54 am

There has been literally zero chatter about Jones on this forum throughout the off-season. I just acquired him and was wondering what everyone thinks of him?

Last year entering the season I was pretty high on him and he came out smokin' the first 4 games, and put up a relative dud the remainder of 2016. He is my WR 5/6 so it's not like I'm banking on a massive breakout.

From what I've read he had trouble grasping JB Cooter's scheme, and beating man coverage at the line. This speaks to his baked in JAG nature that I'm sure some of you will mention, but the opportunity still appears to be there for the taking...

It seems he is a decent buy low though as he is at worst the WR2 in DET going into the year. Any other takers?

Generic Username
All Pro
All Pro

Re: Marvin Jones?

Postby Generic Username » Fri Jun 02, 2017 5:01 am

He's bye-week filler. Nothing wrong with that, we all need such depth on our fantasy teams. But after seeing him last year, hoping for much more seems fools gold. Heck, he may well have competition from rookie Kenny Golladay right out the gate.

As said, depth players are needed and he certainly has the opportunity to produce valuable numbers...you just hope it's on those weeks you're forced to put him in the lineup.

IBall2
All Pro
All Pro

Postby IBall2 » Fri Jun 02, 2017 5:33 am

I was really pulling for him last year, had the opportunity to become the WR1 on the pass happy Lions offense but couldn't really put it all together. To me, he seems like he'll always be better suited as the WR2 on his team and will be a perennial fantasy WR20-30. It was disappointing to see him only get 103 targets last year. He was barely ahead of Anquon Boldin in target share.

clarion contrarion
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby clarion contrarion » Fri Jun 02, 2017 5:34 am

if the lions get any semblance of a running game and ebron can command a bit more defensive attention he could be very solid wr 3 with upside . I personally like him as a sneaky add this season. thinking 70 balls 1100 yards and 7 tds
.....this has been a public service announcement from forum superstar clarion contrarion
QB luck- driskell
WR ant brown evans c davis golladay godwin gordon j washington doctson watson lazard patrick henderson
RB mixon cohen chubb aaron jones hunt malcolm brown
TE eifert howard njoku
K tucker DEF pittsburgh chicago
2012 , 2014 2015 2016 2017 & 2018 ACDL Champion 5 IN A ROW 6 in 7 years- now that is dynasty!
2013 ACDL runner up
2013 2014 2017 & 2018 (Undefeated 15-0 ) WORILDS OF HURT CHAMPION
2010 2014 & 2015 7 Rings for Steeltown CHAMPION 2011 & 2013 7 rings runner up
2018 Experts Dynasty League Champion
there is no after football
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.
— Leonardo da Vinci

Oslo Oildrillers
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby Oslo Oildrillers » Fri Jun 02, 2017 2:45 pm

Their WR coach, Robert Prince, said that defenses changed the way they defended him; putting their best corner on him in man coverage, playing more press, and double-teaming him deep. Jones himself has admitted that it was challenging to learn Cooter's system, which I'm assuming caused him to play less instinctively and limited them in what kind of adjustments they were able to do. Coming into his second season he should be able to play faster and they should be able to improvise more, reacting better to what the defense gives them.

He struggled with some drops last year, and poor efficiency in the latter part of the season, which is uncharacteristic for him. In CIN he was a very efficient player with good hands, but the drops and inefficiency can probably be explained by him being uncomfortable in the system leaving him a little distracted.

Golladay will likely need time to master the offense. It's great to shine in OTAs, but it's only OTAs. Considering that Boldin's 95 targets are up for grabs I think Marvin Jones will have every opportunity to improve on last season. The targets are there if he can handle them. But he doesn't play with the physicality to be an alpha X receiver going up against the top corner and beating double teams, so I think it would help if that offense produced some other threats. If Ebron and Abdullah can make the leap it would help Jones quite a bit.

Sterling Archer
Role Player
Role Player

Postby Sterling Archer » Tue Jun 06, 2017 8:41 am

People seem to forget that he played injured last year and missed a game - even so, if you add in his playoff game to offset the game he missed, he put up over 1k yards in 16 games, yet people are treating him like a 700 yard WR. I mean, in redraft he's going like 2 rounds after Parker and both Matthews. If he's healthy (which he is for now), he'll put up 1k yards again. Also, something of note, Abdullah is healthy and the team improved the OL which should give them at least a threat of running (one of the worst running teams in the league last year), so that should open things up for the WRs and give Stafford time in the pocket to hit them. I think Stafford, Abdullah, and Jones are all good buys this offseason and likely to outplay their rankings by quite a bit.

Interesting note from Oslo, though, about teams sliding their best CB to him and doubling him. Would definitely explain Tate's slow start and strong finish.

maxhyde
GOAT
GOAT

Postby maxhyde » Tue Jun 06, 2017 9:45 am

meh...maybe I buy but Stafford is doing a great job of spreading the ball around so hard to expect any consistency. He isn't better or worse than Tate imo. As a fantasy WR3/4 I would prefer to buy consistency over a big game here and there.
No idea what I would actually pay for him though...not much on most of my teams
DLF HOF League 16 team PPR
QB: Brees, Bradford, Lock(3.07)
RB: David Johnson, Penny, Sanders(1.07), Montgomery(1.06), Love(2.07) Bernard, MLynch, Morris, TJLogan, Joe Williams, Shaun Wilson
WR: Jeffery,Cooper, Josh Gordon, Dede Westbrook, Cam Meredith, Brice Butler, Chester Rogers, Lockett, Switzer, Malone, Cain (IR)
TE: Gronk, Swaim, Maxx Williams

Goddard
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Goddard » Tue Jun 06, 2017 9:46 am

He should probably improve on last year, but I feel like we've been waiting a long time for him to finally break out. And yes he was banged up last year, but I think he's been banged up his whole career.

ckbeav
Role Player
Role Player

Postby ckbeav » Mon Sep 25, 2017 11:16 am

Is he dropable in 10 team leagues? I was hoping to sell him if he could string a couple good games together. His target numbers have not been inspiring at all. Has his production been a result of matchups? Or is it time to panic?
10-Team, PPR, WR, WR, RB, RB, TE, W/T, W/R
QB: CJ Stroud
WR: AJ Brown, Drake London, Jordan Addison, Josh Downs, Demario Douglas, Christian Watson, Elijah Moore, Marvin Mims, Wan'Dale Robinson, Rashod Bateman
RB: Bijan Robinson, Jonathan Taylor, Javonte Williams, Ken Walker, Zach Moss, Jaleel McLaughlin
TE: T.J. Hockenson, Sam LaPorta, Luke Musgrave, Greg Dulcich, Jelani Woods
2013, 2016, 2021 Champ

Plank
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Plank » Mon Sep 25, 2017 11:26 am

I think you have to evaluate his match-up on a weekly basis vs a couple of things, if he is playing the teams #1CB which is often the case (he's roughly 60% on the right facing LCB's .. likes of Sherman, last week Trufant for example) .. the other 40% he lines up on the left .. not much in the slot so he definitely is the outside WR with Golladay ..

Tate is in the inside WR .. and the volume WR to own really in this offense.

I personally like Marvin Jones as a WR. I think he is a good WR, very polished in technique and really sells the nuances of the game .. He is much better at his craft than many WR's in the League .. This doesn't make him match-up proof though. In a good match-up he can do damage, I suspect he will always see a good number of targets.

Golladay is that rebound type WR right now, who can get you 2 TDs now and then, but probably won't see as many targets as Jones ..

My philosophy for most of the players on my teams are if they can get me 4 or 5 games a year (blow up spots, match-ups, bye fill-ins) they are worth rostering .. He is at least that and is part of a very high volume pass game ..
@PlankMelody

ArrylT
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby ArrylT » Mon Mar 30, 2020 8:27 pm

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300000 ... ds-in-2020

Nice to have goals. Could possibly a low cost target for contending teams if he can stay healthy & reach even say 8-9 Tds along with 850-1000 yards.
Please speak to clarion contrarion before considering the use of vetos..

clarion contrarion
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby clarion contrarion » Mon Mar 30, 2020 9:34 pm

clarion contrarion wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2017 5:34 am if the lions get any semblance of a running game and ebron can command a bit more defensive attention he could be very solid wr 3 with upside . I personally like him as a sneaky add this season. thinking 70 balls 1100 yards and 7 tds
had to check up on myself and that year he caught 61 balls for 1101 :shock: yards and 9tds if all my predictions were this close I would bne a happy camper
.....this has been a public service announcement from forum superstar clarion contrarion
QB luck- driskell
WR ant brown evans c davis golladay godwin gordon j washington doctson watson lazard patrick henderson
RB mixon cohen chubb aaron jones hunt malcolm brown
TE eifert howard njoku
K tucker DEF pittsburgh chicago
2012 , 2014 2015 2016 2017 & 2018 ACDL Champion 5 IN A ROW 6 in 7 years- now that is dynasty!
2013 ACDL runner up
2013 2014 2017 & 2018 (Undefeated 15-0 ) WORILDS OF HURT CHAMPION
2010 2014 & 2015 7 Rings for Steeltown CHAMPION 2011 & 2013 7 rings runner up
2018 Experts Dynasty League Champion
there is no after football
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.
— Leonardo da Vinci

Friction
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Friction » Tue Mar 31, 2020 4:43 am

Jones has always been streaky, like so many WRs can be. Very underrated player though. Seems to have some monster division games once or twice per year, if you could somehow predict that.
Valhalla's Father
12 Team 1PPR 1QB/1-3RB/1-3 WR/1TE/1DST
QB:Brady
RB: Barkley, Chubb, Jacobs, Henry, Mack, Etienne
WR: Nuk, Thielen, Cooks, Diontae, Pittman, Gallup
TE: Henry

Pullo Vision
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Pullo Vision » Tue Mar 31, 2020 5:51 am

Plank wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2017 11:26 am...I personally like Marvin Jones as a WR. I think he is a good WR, very polished in technique and really sells the nuances of the game .. He is much better at his craft than many WR's in the League .. This doesn't make him match-up proof though. In a good match-up he can do damage, I suspect he will always see a good number of targets...
There are so many pick plays in the NFL where WRs (and TEs, etc) run a pattern and stop to pick off a defender and free up a teammate. Like a screen in basketball. So many NFLers execute the play like a block, where they run to the designated spot, plant there feet and try to block the DB. The player repeatedly gets flagged.

Last year, Jones ran the play, cut into the middle of the field, turned to the QB for a catch, and successfully picked up the DB for a teammate, without getting flagged. It's little things like this that give me confidence he'll be a long term piece (even if just depth) as he ages.
League #1- 14 tm ppr, 1Q, 2R, 3W, 1T, 1 R/W/T, 1K
1 DT, 2 DE, 2 LB, 1 CB, 1 S, 1 flex

League #2- 12 team PPR, 1Q, 1R, 2W, 1T, 1 R/W/T, 1 W/R/T, 1 Def

League #3- 12 tm PPR, 1Q, 0R (yes, ZERO RB) 3W, 1T, 2 R/W/T flex, 1 Def