NYG Engram - Traditional TE?

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
thebeast
Legend
Legend

Re: NYG Engram - Traditional TE?

Postby thebeast » Thu May 25, 2017 2:29 pm

lukkynumber13 wrote: Sun May 21, 2017 7:18 pm
thebeast wrote: Sun May 21, 2017 7:15 pm I think he is behind OBJ, Marshall, Shepherd, and probably Shane Vereen for passing work. And he's a rookie TE on top of that. I wouldn't spend 2.01 on him.
Not sure what your 1st statement has to do with you 3rd one?

Who drafts elite TE prospects with the hope of starting them right away? He should be 3rd on the totem poll by next season.
My third statement relates to the first because he's the low man on the totem pole assuming his skills ever even translate to the NFL. There have bee way too many TE flops that we're considered locks - Fleener, ASJ, Ebron come to mind - none lived up to their draft value. In any case assuming that he's going to just climb the target chart in a few years because Marshall will be hanging them up is kind of silly, the gmen can add more pass catchers in next years draft or free agency.

lukkynumber13
GOAT
GOAT

Postby lukkynumber13 » Thu May 25, 2017 2:45 pm

thebeast wrote: Thu May 25, 2017 2:29 pm
lukkynumber13 wrote: Sun May 21, 2017 7:18 pm
thebeast wrote: Sun May 21, 2017 7:15 pm I think he is behind OBJ, Marshall, Shepherd, and probably Shane Vereen for passing work. And he's a rookie TE on top of that. I wouldn't spend 2.01 on him.
Not sure what your 1st statement has to do with you 3rd one?

Who drafts elite TE prospects with the hope of starting them right away? He should be 3rd on the totem poll by next season.
My third statement relates to the first because he's the low man on the totem pole assuming his skills ever even translate to the NFL. There have bee way too many TE flops that we're considered locks - Fleener, ASJ, Ebron come to mind - none lived up to their draft value. In any case assuming that he's going to just climb the target chart in a few years because Marshall will be hanging them up is kind of silly, the gmen can add more pass catchers in next years draft or free agency.
I hear you on all counts. I disagree that Ebron has been a flop, and ASJ appears to be an epic basket case, but yes. TEs have had a rough track record the past few years. Then again, Engram's draft pedigree is fairly unprecedented as far as recent history. Not many 1st round TEs in recent history.
TEAM A - 12T (22 R/U, 20 R/U, 19 R/U, 18 Champ, 17 R/U)
HERBERT, Baker
BIJAN/KAMARA/MIXON, A Jones
HILL/AJB/DK/G WILSON/D Adams, Pittman, Z Flowers, Evans
KITTLE
/
TEAM B - 16T, SF, TEP (22 R/U)
HURTS/MINSHEW, Cousins, D Jones
JT/JACOBS, Mostert, Gus E
HILL/MCLAURIN/DEEBO
KELCE/KITTLE, LaPorta
/
TEAM C - 14T, SF (Joined in 22)
GENO
HENRY/A JONES, Gus E
HILL/DIGGS/K ALLEN
WALLER
/
TEAM D - 14T, 1QB (Joined in 22)
MAHOMES, Goff
BIJAN/BREECE/POLLARD
CHASE/DIGGS/G WILSON/AIYUK, DJM, Pittman
KITTLE, Goedert
/
TEAM E - 14T, SF, 2TE (Started in 22)
MAHOMES/T-LAW, Carr
BIJAN/CMC/SAQUON/POLLARD, Hall
HILL/AIYUK/EVANS/GODWIN, Hollywood, Thielen
MCBRIDE/ENGRAM, Goedert, Chig
/
TEAM F - 16T (Joined in 23)
R WILSON, Minshew
SAQUON/KAMARA/MIXON, Monty
DIGGS/GODWIN/AIYUK/EVANS, Thielen, A Cooper
KELCE, Schultz
/
TEAM G - 12T, SF & TEP (Joined in 23)
HERBERT/TUA, Kyler
BIJAN/MIXON, Spears, J Warren
JJ/G WILSON/WADDLE/OLAVE, Godwin, J Reed
LAPORTA

RenMasters
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby RenMasters » Fri May 26, 2017 4:01 pm

This makes me feel a lot better spending the 2.1 on him. I'm glad I let my hesitation go and drafted him.

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/12205/evan-engram

Giants first-round TE Evan Engram has been lining up "everywhere" at OTAs.

According to beat man Dan Duggan, Engram played traditional in-line tight end, in the slot, out wide, and even some H-back. While OC Mike Sullivan has said Engram will be taught to play as an in-line tight end, the Giants' best bet to maximize Engram's skill set is to use him to create mismatches against smaller cornerbacks and slower linebackers. We doubt Engram provides much from a fantasy standpoint as a rookie, but he has some Jordan Reed to his game. May 26 - 9:45 AM
Team Rebuilding - 12 Team PPR
QB (1) - A. Luck, D. Carr, R. Tannehill
RB (1-2) - T. Gurley, C. McCaffery, M. Breida, A. Ekeler, N. Hines, E. McGuire,
WR (3-4) - D. Adams, M.Evans, M. Jones, N. Agholor, M. Bryant, R. Grant, R Higgins
TE (1) - E. Engram, G. Everett, G. Olsen

pvillebiker
Captain
Captain

Postby pvillebiker » Fri May 26, 2017 8:22 pm

RenMasters wrote: Mon May 22, 2017 3:16 pm Thank you everyone for giving your feedback. I picked him at the 2.01 spot. While the coach speak gives me pause I still LOVE the idea of starting a big WR at the TE slot week after week when the other owners are starting traditional TEs.

Here are the first 2 rounds from our rookie draft. Biggest reach - Samaje Perine at 1.6. Best value - Mike Williams at 1.7?

http://www58.myfantasyleague.com/2017/o ... 36993&O=17
Wow, this parallels my draft yesterday. I had the 1.06 and seriously considered Perine being so RB needy, but couldn't do it. Took OJ Howard at 1.06. Then Engram at 2.06! At least TE will be solid for the long run.

My Draft -
http://www65.myfantasyleague.com/2017/o ... 26296&O=17

DLF3000
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby DLF3000 » Sun May 28, 2017 7:24 am

The past 3-4 years we've gone TE premium, but reality is it's nowhere near as impactful and exciting as I hoped.

So definitely torn from that perspective. Still, like I said, he's easy to like late 1st/early 2nd.
35 Team Dyn PPR, 3 x Copy SF start 2TE Super Prem (TE 2 PPR, 8pt TD), 6 pt/non-TE TD, 1pt/20 yds pass (300 +3pt), 1pt/10 yds rush/rec (100 +3pt)

Start 12: 1QB 1SFLX 2RB 4WR 2TE 2FLX | 30 Active Roster, unlim Taxi, 3 IR/Out (+) | est. '21 | playoffs '21, '22

QB - J Allen, T Lawrence ...
RB - A Ekeler, S Barkley, J Cook, I Pacheco ...
WR - AJ Brown, C Ridley, G Pickens, C Sutton ...
TE - D Njoku, D Knox ...
® 2024 - | 2025 -

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Cameron Giles » Sun May 28, 2017 7:33 am

RenMasters wrote: Fri May 26, 2017 4:01 pm This makes me feel a lot better spending the 2.1 on him. I'm glad I let my hesitation go and drafted him.

According to beat man Dan Duggan, Engram played traditional in-line tight end, in the slot, out wide, and even some H-back. While OC Mike Sullivan has said Engram will be taught to play as an in-line tight end, the Giants' best bet to maximize Engram's skill set is to use him to create mismatches against smaller cornerbacks and slower linebackers. We doubt Engram provides much from a fantasy standpoint as a rookie, but he has some Jordan Reed to his game. May 26 - 9:45 AM
This is how Ole Miss used him as well. He's still going to have trouble staying on the field though until he learns how to block.

onetwothree
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby onetwothree » Sun May 28, 2017 8:39 am

Cameron Giles wrote: Sun May 28, 2017 7:33 am
This is how Ole Miss used him as well. He's still going to have trouble staying on the field though until he learns how to block.
May see an uptick in 2 TE sets with Will Tye as the blocking TE.

Dr. Trades
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby Dr. Trades » Wed May 31, 2017 6:50 pm

All in on Engram. Freak athlete, whether he's a big WR or a small TE. And regardless of any reports. I don't expect him to have a huge impact this year, but I wouldn't be surprised if he started becoming at least the third option by the end of this year. And I could see a scenario where he becomes only second behind OBJ, with tons of TD appeal, within the next 2-3 years.

I took him with glee at 1.11 this year in my 12 team league.
League 1: 12 Team League (0.5 ppr WR/RB, 0.75 TE)
QB: Dak, Rodgers, Jimmy G
RB: Henry, Mixon, Swift, AJ Dillon, Jamaal Williams, TDP, Zamir White, Dontrell Hilliard, Hassan Haskins, Joshua Kelley, Chris Evans, Jaylen Warren
WR: JJefferson, AJ Brown, Deebo, DJ Moore, Keenan Allan, Russell Gage, George Pickens, Isaiah McKenzie, Westbrook-Ikhine
TE: Dalton Schultz, Logan Thomas, Daniel Bellinger
D/St: 49ers, Cowboys

League 2: 12 team (28 roster spots) Superflex/TE premium (qb 4pts per TD, all others 6pts per TD, WR/RB 0.1 ppc and 0.75ppr, TE 1.5 ppr)
QB: Rodgers, Stafford, T. Lawrence
RB: javonte, ETN, Eli Mitchell, AJ Dillon, Michael Carter, TDP, Marlon Mack, Jaylen Warren, Darrel Williams, Kene Nguwanu, Trey Sermon
WR: J. Chase, Tee Higgins, Mike Williams, KJ Hamler, Calvin Austin 3, Danny Gray, Erik Ezukanma
TE: Schultz, Fant, Evan Engram, Jelani Woods, Noah Gray, Durham Smythe, Josiah Deguara, Brycen Hopkins

anonymously
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby anonymously » Tue Jun 06, 2017 8:01 am

Is anyone concerned that he earns a WR designation? I know in my CBS league Colston was a TE the first year or two and was a huge advantage. Then he had his TE turn to a WR and he was still good but lost a big chunk of value. I've been contemplating Engram but that possibility scares me.
12 team, 20 player dynasty, non-PPR, 6pt all TDs, QB 2RB 3WR TE 1FLEX
Wilson Stafford Winston | CMC Jacobs Akers Gaskin DJ Conner | Adams Hopkins Cooper JuJu Woods Jeudy Mims | Kelce Jonnu | 1.01/1.08/3.04

onetwothree
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby onetwothree » Tue Jun 06, 2017 12:07 pm

anonymously wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2017 8:01 am Is anyone concerned that he earns a WR designation? I know in my CBS league Colston was a TE the first year or two and was a huge advantage. Then he had his TE turn to a WR and he was still good but lost a big chunk of value. I've been contemplating Engram but that possibility scares me.
Not really. Jimmy Graham tried to fight to be classified as a WR so he could get the higher franchise tag but the Saints insisted he was a TE even though he was split out like a WR. As long as the Giants keep him listed at TE, it won't change.

DLF3000
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby DLF3000 » Tue Jun 06, 2017 4:41 pm

His designation should be "OW" for offensive weapon like some teams have done on their depth charts in the past.

Bottom line: he will get heavy use, and he will be a matchup nightmare. Seems crystal to me.
35 Team Dyn PPR, 3 x Copy SF start 2TE Super Prem (TE 2 PPR, 8pt TD), 6 pt/non-TE TD, 1pt/20 yds pass (300 +3pt), 1pt/10 yds rush/rec (100 +3pt)

Start 12: 1QB 1SFLX 2RB 4WR 2TE 2FLX | 30 Active Roster, unlim Taxi, 3 IR/Out (+) | est. '21 | playoffs '21, '22

QB - J Allen, T Lawrence ...
RB - A Ekeler, S Barkley, J Cook, I Pacheco ...
WR - AJ Brown, C Ridley, G Pickens, C Sutton ...
TE - D Njoku, D Knox ...
® 2024 - | 2025 -

smallxl
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby smallxl » Thu Jun 08, 2017 3:35 am

anonymously wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2017 8:01 am Is anyone concerned that he earns a WR designation? I know in my CBS league Colston was a TE the first year or two and was a huge advantage. Then he had his TE turn to a WR and he was still good but lost a big chunk of value. I've been contemplating Engram but that possibility scares me.
Anything is possible but it would be difficult to See his position change at this point. I'd say slim chance.
22-man, 12-team, 1 pt-PPR; Start 1-2RB; 3-4 WR; 1-2 TE

TEAM 1
QB: Prescott, Foles
RB: Barkley, P Barber, Duke, Gio Bernard, Gus, C Thompson, Breida, Ekeler
WR: A Cooper, Cooks, Lockett, C. Davis, Crowder, Chark, Stills
TE: OJ Howard

Chris_R
MVP
MVP

Postby Chris_R » Thu Jun 08, 2017 11:01 am

RenMasters wrote: Fri May 26, 2017 4:01 pm This makes me feel a lot better spending the 2.1 on him. I'm glad I let my hesitation go and drafted him.

Maybe I am missing what's so ground breaking about this tidbit. Wasn't this common knowledge of how he would be used? Everyone should have known he wasn't going to line up in a 3 point stance all game long, he's going to be flexed out majority of the time.
12 Team ppr Dynasty IDP Superflex
1 QB, 1 QB/RB, 1 RB, 1 WR, RB/WR, WR/TE, 1 TE, 2 DL, 2 LB, 2 DB, 2 DL/LB/DB

QB: Dak Prescott/Kyler Murray
RB: Jonathan Taylor/James Robinson/D'Onta Foreman/Chris Hubbard/Keontay Ingram
WR: Jamar Chase/Diontae Johnson/Amron St Brown/Courtland Sutton/Rondale Moore/Donovan Peoples-Jones/Christian Watson
TE: Dalton Schultz/Gerald Everett/Greg Dulcich/Jeremy Ruckert

DL: Joey Bosa/Khalil Mack
LB: Leighton Vander Esch/Tremaine Edmunds/Blake Martinez/Telvin Smith/Sean Lee
DB: Earl Thomas/Keanu Neal/Minkah Fitzpatrick/John Johnson

Picks: 2023(three)

RenMasters
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby RenMasters » Thu Jun 08, 2017 4:21 pm

Chris_R wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2017 11:01 am

Maybe I am missing what's so ground breaking about this tidbit. Wasn't this common knowledge of how he would be used? Everyone should have known he wasn't going to line up in a 3 point stance all game long, he's going to be flexed out majority of the time.
Did you read the very first sentence of the very first post of this thread?
Team Rebuilding - 12 Team PPR
QB (1) - A. Luck, D. Carr, R. Tannehill
RB (1-2) - T. Gurley, C. McCaffery, M. Breida, A. Ekeler, N. Hines, E. McGuire,
WR (3-4) - D. Adams, M.Evans, M. Jones, N. Agholor, M. Bryant, R. Grant, R Higgins
TE (1) - E. Engram, G. Everett, G. Olsen

Chris_R
MVP
MVP

Postby Chris_R » Thu Jun 08, 2017 7:09 pm

RenMasters wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2017 4:21 pm
Chris_R wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2017 11:01 am

Did you read the very first sentence of the very first post of this thread?
I didn't know those 2 concepts were mutually exclusive? He's 230 pounds. He's going to make his living being a mis match even if they do teach him along the way to be a full time TE. You can't put guys like him and Jordan Reed in a 3 point stance all game and that was never gonna happen here. It's great for his value. I just didn't think it was news.
12 Team ppr Dynasty IDP Superflex
1 QB, 1 QB/RB, 1 RB, 1 WR, RB/WR, WR/TE, 1 TE, 2 DL, 2 LB, 2 DB, 2 DL/LB/DB

QB: Dak Prescott/Kyler Murray
RB: Jonathan Taylor/James Robinson/D'Onta Foreman/Chris Hubbard/Keontay Ingram
WR: Jamar Chase/Diontae Johnson/Amron St Brown/Courtland Sutton/Rondale Moore/Donovan Peoples-Jones/Christian Watson
TE: Dalton Schultz/Gerald Everett/Greg Dulcich/Jeremy Ruckert

DL: Joey Bosa/Khalil Mack
LB: Leighton Vander Esch/Tremaine Edmunds/Blake Martinez/Telvin Smith/Sean Lee
DB: Earl Thomas/Keanu Neal/Minkah Fitzpatrick/John Johnson

Picks: 2023(three)