Devin Funchess

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
TurtleBK
Starter
Starter

Devin Funchess

Postby TurtleBK » Sun Apr 16, 2017 12:37 am

I've been looking at a number of WRs who are still young but have underachieved so far, including:

Tyler Boyd
Leonte Carroo
Phillip Dorsett
Devin Funchess
Laquon Treadwell

Out of these five, Dorsett, Funchess, and Carroo are all really cheap. Funchess in particular can be had for a late 2nd or even early 3rd but has plenty of draft stock, a high YPR, is in a good situation (twin towers with the oft-injured KB who I never thought was all that great), is a starting No. 2 WR with upside for No. 2, and most of all he's still only 22 and now has 2 years of NFL experience. He also has some nice move TE upside, and I wouldn't be surprised to see CAR use him as a big slot or move him to TE as Greg Olsen gets closer to retirement.

Am I crazy or is this guy a sweet buy low right now?

Also, what do you all think about the other guys? How would you rank them?

I would rank them (absolutely):
Boyd
Treadwell -- think this changes for the better soon
Dorsett
Funchess
Carroo

By value:
Funchess
Treadwell
Boyd
Dorsett
Carroo
"The Moonwalkers" 12-team Standard League Year 6 2017 -- QB, QB, RB, RB, WR, WR, WR, WR/TE, TE, Flex, DSt, K
QB: D Prescott, A Dalton, J Rosen
RB: D Johnson, I Crowell, D Cook, C McCaffrey, N Chubb, A Abdullah, E McGuire, S Perine, L Murray
WR: B Cooks, S Watkins, A Robinson, S Diggs, C Samuel, D Westbrook, Tyrell Williams, D Pettis, A Callaway, J Lasley, C Latimer, Cedrick Wilson, Jr
TE: ASJ, RSJ
D: Vikings K: M Prater

MARKinMI
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Re: Devin Funchess

Postby MARKinMI » Sun Apr 16, 2017 12:47 am

Did they find a way to surgically remove the frying pans from Funchess' hands?

TurtleBK
Starter
Starter

Postby TurtleBK » Sun Apr 16, 2017 2:05 am

You SONOFABITCH!!

Just kidding. He has totally caught <50% of his recs the last two years. I guess his situation, size, and outrageous youth still has me buying him for pennies. Not every winner is Brandin Cooks or OBJ, you know? I still have some hopes for Sammy Coates and Will Fuller too, who I could probably add to this list and who also have problems with mediocre hands.. Allen Robinson has inconsistent hands, too, has already had an elite season, and most have him in their top 10 startup WRs.

Not to mention, everyone's pretending that DeAndre Hopkins wasn't dropping balls placed squarely between the numbers last year, but as a Texans fan, I sure as hell noticed. Brock threw some miserable passes, but Nuk dropped a fair amount of the catchable ones that I saw.
"The Moonwalkers" 12-team Standard League Year 6 2017 -- QB, QB, RB, RB, WR, WR, WR, WR/TE, TE, Flex, DSt, K
QB: D Prescott, A Dalton, J Rosen
RB: D Johnson, I Crowell, D Cook, C McCaffrey, N Chubb, A Abdullah, E McGuire, S Perine, L Murray
WR: B Cooks, S Watkins, A Robinson, S Diggs, C Samuel, D Westbrook, Tyrell Williams, D Pettis, A Callaway, J Lasley, C Latimer, Cedrick Wilson, Jr
TE: ASJ, RSJ
D: Vikings K: M Prater

MARKinMI
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby MARKinMI » Sun Apr 16, 2017 2:24 am

I'm a Michigan Fan who watched every snap he played in college. I'm of the opinion that he isnt very good. He doesn't have the athleticism to play WR on the outside and isnt strong enough to play TE. Couple that with his lack of natural catching ability and I'm going nowhere near him.

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Cameron Giles » Sun Apr 16, 2017 5:59 am

MARKinMI wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2017 12:47 am Did they find a way to surgically remove the frying pans from Funchess' hands?
He had 3 drops last season. That's not anything.

Funchess is an interesting buy low, assuming the Panthers don't spend high on another outside WR. I think he's looked better than I thought he would after transitioning to WR. He had some good flashes as a rookie. Last year, he didn't do much. He's clearly still developing and still young as well. He may very well end up being nothing long-term, but there's much worse you can buy low on.
TurtleBK wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2017 2:05 am You SONOFABITCH!!

Just kidding. He has totally caught <50% of his recs the last two years.
Why do you guys keep using catch rate to analyze WR's? All passes aren't thrown equally. As long as a WR is close to the ball or in the area, it's considered a target. Whether it's underthrown, overthrown or thrown out of bounds, it has a target.

If you can determine how many of those passes were catchable, but he did something wrong on the play, then we have something.

NY CAT
Captain
Captain

Postby NY CAT » Sun Apr 16, 2017 7:15 am

I'm in on Funchess to improve. I believe this season he will improve. Ginn gone and only KB and Charles Johnson are the only wide receivers on team worth anything.

Better season for Funchess.

saw061600
Legend
Legend

Postby saw061600 » Sun Apr 16, 2017 7:34 am

Looked at him awhile ago and I think his year 1+2 were very similar to Adams. Coming into year 3, he's younger than almost every top WR in this class and hopefully hits the year 3 breakout. Worth getting if you can buy low.
10 TM No PPR or waiver 85RST
Herbert Fields Garoppolo Ridder
JT Barkley Etienne Ingram Charb CEH
Evans Aiyuk Dionte Jeudy London JWill GWils EMoore JMyers Mims Moorex2
Andrews Kinkaid Pits Freiermuth
NBosa Quinnen DJJones Clark F-Myers Taylor Graham
Darius Okereke Kendricks DCampbell DJones Baker Kiser Brooks
Adams Simmons Vaccaro Joseph

12 TM .5ppr 45 RST
Herbert Stroud Mayfield
JT Achane Kamara Ford Pacheco Jaleel
AJB DK Godwin Aiyuk Kirk ZJones RMoore Thornton
Hock F-muth
LWilliams Payne Reed Greenard
Bernard Kendricks Warner Baker Williams Tranquil
Budda McKinney Clark Wilson

1-2QB 2-4RB 3-5WR 1-3TE 11OFF/DEF
Herbert Stafford Brock Dobbs
Taylor Jacobs Mattison Kyren Jaleel Ford Bigsby
AJB Diggs Evans Kirk McLaurin Dionte Boyd Renfrow JuJu
Kelce Pitts Deguara
Hutchinson Rousseau Greenard Travon Demarcus
QWilliams EJones TBernard Dean ShaqT Kyzir
Amos Bates Peppers Murray Fitz Clark

Dynasty DeLorean
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Dynasty DeLorean » Sun Apr 16, 2017 10:07 am

MARKinMI wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2017 2:24 am I'm a Michigan Fan who watched every snap he played in college. I'm of the opinion that he isnt very good. He doesn't have the athleticism to play WR on the outside and isnt strong enough to play TE. Couple that with his lack of natural catching ability and I'm going nowhere near him.
He's bigger and more athletic than Mike Williams, that's a misguided argument imo.

He disappointed last season for sure, but he's not even 23 yet and is a positional convert. I'm willing to give him a long leash.

Tsunami
All Pro
All Pro

Postby Tsunami » Sun Apr 16, 2017 11:00 am

He's not nearly as good as Kelvin Benjamin (or Olsen), and Benjamin isn't as good as we think either. They don't need three giant receivers who can't outrun anyone. This is why Ginn came out of nowhere to put up good numbers.

Treadwell and Carroo got no playing time, I don't think we should call that "underachieving". Dorsett and Funchess have played a lot and done nothing, this to me is a more clear sign that they aren't going to make it. I would rather have Dorial Green-Beckham than either, another guy who could be on your list.

Space Cowboy
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Space Cowboy » Sun Apr 16, 2017 11:10 am

He's worth a mid round 3 or later if you have roster space and some extra picks.

lukkynumber13
GOAT
GOAT

Postby lukkynumber13 » Sun Apr 16, 2017 1:47 pm

How did Tyler Boyd underachieve last year? Sure, he didn't ball out when AJG went down, but he's not that type of player. He's a reliable slot guy, who can probably follow JMatt's footsteps as a WR2/3 in PPR
TEAM A - 12T (22 R/U, 20 R/U, 19 R/U, 18 Champ, 17 R/U)
HERBERT, Baker
BIJAN/KAMARA/MIXON, A Jones
HILL/AJB/DK/G WILSON/D Adams, Pittman, Z Flowers, Evans
KITTLE
/
TEAM B - 16T, SF, TEP (22 R/U)
HURTS/MINSHEW, Cousins, D Jones
JT/JACOBS, Mostert, Gus E
HILL/MCLAURIN/DEEBO
KELCE/KITTLE, LaPorta
/
TEAM C - 14T, SF (Joined in 22)
GENO
HENRY/A JONES, Gus E
HILL/DIGGS/K ALLEN
WALLER
/
TEAM D - 14T, 1QB (Joined in 22)
MAHOMES, Goff
BIJAN/BREECE/POLLARD
CHASE/DIGGS/G WILSON/AIYUK, DJM, Pittman
KITTLE, Goedert
/
TEAM E - 14T, SF, 2TE (Started in 22)
MAHOMES/T-LAW, Carr
BIJAN/CMC/SAQUON/POLLARD, Hall
HILL/AIYUK/EVANS/GODWIN, Hollywood, Thielen
MCBRIDE/ENGRAM, Goedert, Chig
/
TEAM F - 16T (Joined in 23)
R WILSON, Minshew
SAQUON/KAMARA/MIXON, Monty
DIGGS/GODWIN/AIYUK/EVANS, Thielen, A Cooper
KELCE, Schultz
/
TEAM G - 12T, SF & TEP (Joined in 23)
HERBERT/TUA, Kyler
BIJAN/MIXON, Spears, J Warren
JJ/G WILSON/WADDLE/OLAVE, Godwin, J Reed
LAPORTA

CK_
Role Player
Role Player

Postby CK_ » Sun Apr 16, 2017 2:41 pm

Not sure I understand the love for Funchess. He has looked let's say..... not pretty when on the field. Personally feels like a waste to spend anything on him when you have a MVP QB throwing to him and he still cannot catch most balls. I know PFF has a wonderful tool to see what balls are catchable and which aren't. I'm sure other sites do as well. I swear I've seen something like that on Rotoviz as well... No QB is perfect but they can be damn well near.

I kind of get the love for Treadwell. People did spend high picks on him so they would like to give him a chance to see if he can develop. I get giving the guy another year, they knew they were getting a working project. Would not want him on my roster though.

Dorset. Pass.

Boyd, is a slot play and can be good for WR2 numbers. I will love to have him in hopes he is a high high WR2 or maybe even a WR1 just one year so I can trade him away.

Carroo hasn't even been given a chance to show his mettle. Will he be good? He looked good in College, let's see if he can take over for Parker or Stills. He is one or two injuries away from possibly being a household name? I don't know was honestly asking someone that follows the Dolphins, I only follow Jarvis Landry... Lets give that receiving corp a QB instead of a WR to throw them a ball! WHOS WITH ME! **crickets**
14 Team .5 PPR Return yards
QB: Luck, Mayfield
RB: Elliot, Mixon, Guice, Ekeler
WR: Diggs, C. Davis, Gordon, Lockett, M. Williams, Godwin, John Brown, Tre'Quan Smith
TE: Gronk, Burton, Goedert
K: Gostkowski
D/ST: Jax, Chiefs

Goddard
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Goddard » Sun Apr 16, 2017 4:22 pm

I'd hold him if I owned him and would buy for a 3rd if I didn't.

I rank them:

Treadwell

Boyd

Funchess
Caroo (probably about the same as Funchess)

Dorsett

DBass218
Role Player
Role Player

Postby DBass218 » Sun Apr 16, 2017 7:13 pm

I'm not sure Funch is more than a flat out flier at this point. I own him and couldn't get a Walkman (without batteries) or a stainless steel spatula for him.

Boyd has a chance to carve out a solid role, I think.

LaQuon is just so young yet... he might be a good buy low if a manager has no patience.

Caroo needs Landry to leave in FA after this year (not likely as he'll probably get extended soon I would think).

Dorsett's is meh.
50 roster 8 taxi squad 10 team PPR (1pt) IDP (2pt tack/1 pt ast) Best Ball Dynasty
Start QB, 2RB, 3WR, TE, RB/WR/TE Flex, 3DL, 4LB, 4DB
QB: Carson Wentz, Kyler Murray, Dwayne Haskins
RB: Devonta Freeman, Derrius Guice, Ito Smith, Jordan Howard, Tarik Cohen, Chris Thompson, Jalen Richard, Ryquell Armstead, JD McKissic, James Robinson
WR: Julio Jones, Mike Evans, DeAndre Hopkins, Kenny Golladay, Christian Kirk, Terry McLaurin, Courtland Sutton, Golden Tate, Curtis Samuel, Parris Campbell, Steven Sims, Dede Westbrook
TE: Greg Olsen, Hunter Henry, Evan Engram, Dan Arnold
DL: D. Hunter, J. Allen, D. Barnett, C. Jones, C. Young, J. Epenesa
LB: Deion Jones, Fred Warner, Von Miller, Myles Jack, Anthony Barr, Kyzir White, Blake Cashman, Jayon Brown, DeVondre Campbell, Kiko, Jatavis, SDH, Hightower
DB: J.Simmons, J. Reid, V. Bell, J Tartt, Jalen Thompson, Marcus Williams, Shawn Williams, K. Willis

Goirish374
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Goirish374 » Sun Apr 16, 2017 8:07 pm

sometimes the economy model of the dynasty mentality can be a prison:

sometimes guys are cheap for a reason.
Dynasty League Football Premium League Almanac:
2020 Champ: me again! (no, for reals!)
2019 Champ: me!
2018 Champ: Qazxswedcvfrtgbnhyuj
2017 Champ: Irishdoom