Am I a bad owner?

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
Never Veto1
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Am I a bad owner?

Postby Never Veto1 » Fri Mar 24, 2017 6:45 am

I'm in 4 dynasty league and 1 local redraft with buddies. I make time for all the leagues and I try to be pretty active, and that's something I like about most of my leagues is that there is talk and discussion about trades and what not. However I'm in one where this is lacking. The Commish is great, there has only been a few teams that have turned over in the past few years so people are committed. I traded off old assets for for picks last year and retooled the team so I like the team. However the lack of activity makes me want to leave.

Team:
Luck, Wentz, Romo, Smith
Du Johnson, Booker, Prosise, Ivory, Rodgers West
Michael Thomas, Shepard, Treadwell, Sharpe, Dorsett, Carroo, Wallace, Gordon
Gronk, Ebron, Miller

So the team isn't terrible. It's just the lack of activity that makes we want to walk. Does this make me a bad owner?
12 Team 1QB PPR
8 Starters - QB 1, RB 2(4), WR 3(5), TE 1(3)

QB - Kyler Murray, Derek Carr, Kenny Pickett
RB - Christian McCaffrey, Bijan Robinson, Kyren Williams, Travis Etienne, James Conner, Antonio Gibson, Chris Rodriguez
WR - Tee Higgins, Jordan Addison, Michael Pittman, Nico Collins, Rashee Rice, Christian Watson, Jerry Jeudy, Rashod Bateman
TE - Sam Laporta, Kyle Pitts, Darren Waller, Isaiah Likely
Picks - 2.10, 3.10, 4.10, 5.10

skip
GOAT
GOAT

Re: Am I a bad owner?

Postby skip » Fri Mar 24, 2017 6:50 am

Never Veto wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2017 6:45 am So the team isn't terrible. It's just the lack of activity that makes we want to walk. Does this make me a bad owner?
We all have our reasons for leaving leagues. You do not have to justify them.
If you can't leave at least a 20% tip, you can't afford to eat out.

IR1
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby IR1 » Fri Mar 24, 2017 6:56 am

1 of my leagues is relatively inactive and the other 2 go through periods of trade frenzies and then may see nothing for a month. I cut back from 5 to 3 teams because it was feeling more like a chore than a hobby. Don't need to feel bad if your losing interest in a league.
10Team PPR-QB/RB/WR/WR/TE/PK/flex-DT/DE/DE/LB/LB/LB/CB/CB/S/S/flex
QB- Herbert, Tua
RB- Barkley, Swift, Montgomery, Dobbins, Walker
WR-Adams, ARSB, JWilliams, Godwin, Metcalf, Allen, Kirk, Flowers
TE- Kelce, Goedert
PK
DT- Buckner, Simmons, QWilliams,
DE- Hunter, JBosa, Thibodeaux, JPHillips, Rousseau, Paye, Greenard
LB- Edmunds, Warner, E Kendricks, Wagner, De"Vondre Campbell, Asamoah, Sanders
CB- Moore, Howard, Reed
S- Dugger, Pitre, Thompson
IR Dobbins, Dulcich
Taxi- Kincaid, QJohnston

Missile
Captain
Captain

Postby Missile » Fri Mar 24, 2017 7:08 am

I rarely leave leagues. The number 1 reason I do is inactivity. I look and try to better my team in the offseason but it is sometimes fruitless when 2/3 of the league haven't checked the site in 45 days.

bonscott
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby bonscott » Fri Mar 24, 2017 7:10 am

The whole point is to have fun, and if you're not having fun then leave. I left two leagues this past off-season because I was just in too many and as someone else said above, it was becoming more of a chore vs. fun. There wasn't anything wrong with those leagues and in fact in one of them I had a decent set of young prospects along with 7 picks in the upcoming draft including 1.01. But I had to cut back so I gave the commish's plenty of notice as soon as the season was over and they replaced me pretty quickly.

Go Bucks
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby Go Bucks » Fri Mar 24, 2017 7:41 am

I left a league commished by same person (Coinflip) for exact same reasons you stated. She is indeed a great commish, and does her best to manufacture interest (polls for rule changes, etc.). Her leagues tend to have many of the same owners. And while several of those common owners love to spout their football opinions on Twitter, they are completely inactive within the league. I stuck it out for several years, but when replacement owners for departures weren't any better then I gave up hope.
It's definitely hard when joining a startup to project the level of activity. I've found it helpful to search on leagues run by a commish to gauge the typical personality of his/her leagues. Takes some of the guesswork out of the equation.
I'm in 12 leagues and this was only second one I've left in my 14 years of playing dynasty. Bottom line is you have to do what feels right and makes you happy. As long as you give commish ample notice, then no reason to feel guilty about anything.

clarion contrarion
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby clarion contrarion » Fri Mar 24, 2017 7:43 am

As a commish , I hate it generally when guys leave but that is selfishness in that I like the continuity and history of a league that has all or most of the same members year over year . That said , I understand that life happens and if need to leave just do it the right way , inform the commish and the other owners and maybe let them know why in a tactful fashion. After that it is on them to process however they wish ; you will have done the right thing .
.....this has been a public service announcement from forum superstar clarion contrarion
QB luck- driskell
WR ant brown evans c davis golladay godwin gordon j washington doctson watson lazard patrick henderson
RB mixon cohen chubb aaron jones hunt malcolm brown
TE eifert howard njoku
K tucker DEF pittsburgh chicago
2012 , 2014 2015 2016 2017 & 2018 ACDL Champion 5 IN A ROW 6 in 7 years- now that is dynasty!
2013 ACDL runner up
2013 2014 2017 & 2018 (Undefeated 15-0 ) WORILDS OF HURT CHAMPION
2010 2014 & 2015 7 Rings for Steeltown CHAMPION 2011 & 2013 7 rings runner up
2018 Experts Dynasty League Champion
there is no after football
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.
— Leonardo da Vinci

clarion contrarion
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby clarion contrarion » Fri Mar 24, 2017 7:48 am

One other point is what type of activity you desire , if you are a trade junkie that could be on you , active to me means paying attention answering trade offers in whatever form they arrive , posting on the message board, working the wire and doing all the things to win or to prepare to win . I have run across a few guys that were just trade sluts and if they weren't trading every other day the league sucks , well that isn't accurate in that trading alone doesn't make a solid league . I have seen more guys wreck their team in trading frenzies than build juggernauts.
.....this has been a public service announcement from forum superstar clarion contrarion
QB luck- driskell
WR ant brown evans c davis golladay godwin gordon j washington doctson watson lazard patrick henderson
RB mixon cohen chubb aaron jones hunt malcolm brown
TE eifert howard njoku
K tucker DEF pittsburgh chicago
2012 , 2014 2015 2016 2017 & 2018 ACDL Champion 5 IN A ROW 6 in 7 years- now that is dynasty!
2013 ACDL runner up
2013 2014 2017 & 2018 (Undefeated 15-0 ) WORILDS OF HURT CHAMPION
2010 2014 & 2015 7 Rings for Steeltown CHAMPION 2011 & 2013 7 rings runner up
2018 Experts Dynasty League Champion
there is no after football
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.
— Leonardo da Vinci

Never Veto1
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Never Veto1 » Fri Mar 24, 2017 7:57 am

thanks everyone, I'll chat with the Commish and we'll see how we move forward. I appreciate the feedback
12 Team 1QB PPR

RB - Christian McCaffrey, Bijan Robinson, Kyren Williams, Travis Etienne, James Conner, Antonio Gibson, Chris Rodriguez
WR - Tee Higgins, Jordan Addison, Michael Pittman, Nico Collins, Rashee Rice, Christian Watson, Jerry Jeudy, Rashod Bateman

skip
GOAT
GOAT

Postby skip » Fri Mar 24, 2017 8:06 am

clarion contrarion wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2017 7:48 am One other point is what type of activity you desire , if you are a trade junkie that could be on you , active to me means paying attention answering trade offers in whatever form they arrive , posting on the message board, working the wire and doing all the things to win or to prepare to win . I have run across a few guys that were just trade sluts and if they weren't trading every other day the league sucks , well that isn't accurate in that trading alone doesn't make a solid league . I have seen more guys wreck their team in trading frenzies than build juggernauts.
I agree with this. We all define activity in different ways. I'm a believer in sometimes the best way to manage my team is by doing nothing. This is dynasty, not day trading. Patience is something that a LOT of owners need to learn but instead they make the same mistakes over and over...they chase youth, sell unproductive players without cause, etc. I typically go the first month (or more) of a season doing almost nothing with my team with the exception of a couple of waiver moves.

Right now is the off season. While I personally do not like to take "time off" in a sense that I like to talk football year round, I also know plenty of owners who take the time between the end of the season and the NFL draft off almost entirely. I don't see anything wrong with that.
If you can't leave at least a 20% tip, you can't afford to eat out.

Dynasty DeLorean
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Dynasty DeLorean » Fri Mar 24, 2017 8:13 am

I don't know all the league settings but right now that team looks not so good to me. You pretty much only have 1 startable player from all of the RB/WR positions. You say there's no activity but in the same breathe say you made all these deals to trade away your aging assets for youth. Even if there was activity your roster is filled with guys nobody wants right now anyway.

Never Veto1
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Never Veto1 » Fri Mar 24, 2017 8:28 am

Dynasty DeLorean wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2017 8:13 am I don't know all the league settings but right now that team looks not so good to me. You pretty much only have 1 startable player from all of the RB/WR positions. You say there's no activity but in the same breathe say you made all these deals to trade away your aging assets for youth. Even if there was activity your roster is filled with guys nobody wants right now anyway.
Believe it or not, not every team can have 4 WR1's and 3 RB1's it's just not possible, and if all your teams do, then you play in way too easy leagues. When rebuilding a team I would be shocked if that's how your team looked. I'm not just talking about trading activity, I'm also talking about activity period.
12 Team 1QB PPR

Space Cowboy
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Space Cowboy » Fri Mar 24, 2017 8:36 am

Not really a big deal if you have other teams but I know how frustrating it can be. Team 1 in my sig, that league there's 3/4 trades during the whole season. It's quite annoying but dynasty is still fun.

League mates drove me so nuts with their quiet fingers so I signed up here!

Weeman
Role Player
Role Player

Postby Weeman » Fri Mar 24, 2017 8:53 am

Kind've sounds like you made bad trades & went on a rookie craze. Not alot of people like to admit that their trades are looking bad. You have a ton of potential players that the values are down but if they show life will shoot up, you need to be patient.

Yeah the team isn't terrible but it isn't good enough to win or feel great about. Work the waiver wire & pick up last years Tyrell Williams, Howard, Tyfreek, Enunwa or Theilan. You don't always need trades, I've seen guys get to the playoffs having road waiver wire RBs weekly.

Never Veto1
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Never Veto1 » Fri Mar 24, 2017 8:58 am

Weeman wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2017 8:53 am Kind've sounds like you made bad trades & went on a rookie craze. Not alot of people like to admit that their trades are looking bad. You have a ton of potential players that the values are down but if they show life will shoot up, you need to be patient.

Yeah the team isn't terrible but it isn't good enough to win or feel great about. Work the waiver wire & pick up last years Tyrell Williams, Howard, Tyfreek, Enunwa or Theilan. You don't always need trades, I've seen guys get to the playoffs having road waiver wire RBs weekly.
No I like the team. The team and the trades are not the issue.
12 Team 1QB PPR