Osweiler Traded! Wowza

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
thebeast
Legend
Legend

Re: Osweiler Traded! Wowza

Postby thebeast » Thu Mar 09, 2017 6:16 pm

FiremanEd wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2017 5:49 pm I'm surprised people feel this is such a bad move by the Browns. I think they did pretty well. The money is irrelevant. They got better draft capital through it, and as insane as it sounds, they don't have anyone better at the moment anyway so can do whatever they want with him at the position. They still need to draft and develop a guy, or wait until 2018 where they hopefully have a high pick, or assets to move up and grab one. That or the cost to acquire Jimmy G won't be cheap and they still have holes to fill. Draft capital can be hard to acquire...and this was as close to free as it gets (ironic given the financial cost of it).

I'm not sold it is a great move for Houston, though I see the upside if they can in fact bring in Romo and get a shot at the Superbowl. That said, they paid to move a guy with no guarantee on who can replace him. The GM also admits a huge mistake. Bad contract. Lost money. Lost draft pick. Losing Bouye also hurts their defense overall, impacting their deep playoff chances (though Watt's return offsets that). They NEED to get Romo otherwise they moved a second without any potential improvement.

For the skill position players, Cleveland seems status quo, both because they don't have other options and he may not be there anyway. For Houston, this is very much TBD, but it at least gives hope...
That is a very good point. I was impressed they got out from under Osweiler, but you're right, they need to upgrade the position now or it's for nothing.

Edit: I actually kind of like that the Houston is taking it's lumps and moving on - too often pride gets in the way of teams doing what they should do, good to see someone trying to correct a mistake.
Last edited by thebeast on Thu Mar 09, 2017 6:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ZPalmtree
Captain
Captain

Postby ZPalmtree » Thu Mar 09, 2017 6:17 pm

skip wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2017 2:10 pm
Plank wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2017 2:04 pm He's gone skip .. already released.
I'm seeing that be discussed. Trying to find confirmation.
Still kinda curious where this came from. I haven't seen it anywhere

ZPalmtree
Captain
Captain

Postby ZPalmtree » Thu Mar 09, 2017 6:19 pm

I agree the Texans messed up if they don't get Romo, also saw Denver was in talks with the NYJ about Seimian

Valhalla
Legend
Legend

Postby Valhalla » Thu Mar 09, 2017 6:35 pm

It just isn't possible for multiple reasons, but I really wish I could see Romo sign with the Browns...and the Browns then trade him to the Texans for pick upgrades this year and make the Texans take back a certain contract in the trade. That would just make for a sweet story.
Even if this happened people would still say the browns are dumb.

thebeast
Legend
Legend

Postby thebeast » Thu Mar 09, 2017 6:44 pm

Valhalla wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2017 6:35 pm It just isn't possible for multiple reasons, but I really wish I could see Romo sign with the Browns...and the Browns then trade him to the Texans for pick upgrades this year and make the Texans take back a certain contract in the trade. That would just make for a sweet story.
Even if this happened people would still say the browns are dumb.
If they pulled that off I would change my stance for sure. And it's not that I think they are dumb, I just don't think this move makes them brilliant, that's my stance anyway.

skip
GOAT
GOAT

Postby skip » Thu Mar 09, 2017 6:45 pm

GLSmk wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2017 5:01 pm just reported Browns are 'trying desperately' to get Garoppolo. I would love to for the Pats to get another 1st rounder, but I really think the Browns should keep Osweiler. If they have to pay him anyway, why not see how he does?
The report says New England wants the 1.01 and more compensation, as much as a first from 2018. As inept as some seem to think the Cleveland front office is, that expectation is completely asinine.
If you can't leave at least a 20% tip, you can't afford to eat out.

clarion contrarion
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby clarion contrarion » Thu Mar 09, 2017 6:50 pm

ninotoreS wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2017 5:02 pm
clarion contrarion wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2017 4:33 pm the browns doing it, is reason enough to assume that is IN FACT not brilliant !
That's less a 'reason' and more popular pseudo-wisdom ('herp derp, Browns are always bad, hurrrr'... it's tired and thoughtless).

Iirc, they have 11 picks in this year's stacked (I'm considering defense in addition to offense) class, and now they also have another quality pick for next year's draft. Brown's are doing just fine under Hue. They're finally committing fully to rebuilding, something they should have done years ago. Soon they're gonna be loaded with young talent on both sides of the ball.
you had some wisdom for me about osweiler (still snickering at how wrong you were about him ). how did that turn out ? , the browns can have all the picks in the world but if they keep blowing them on guys like ricardo lewis rashard higgins and seth devalve 100 picks early it really won't matter much will it now . The whole gropup is clueless as they gladly paid kenny britt nearly what they could have paid pryor who in his 1st year as a wr bested britts best season in 8 tries so yeah be optimistic , I will stick with my pragmatism .
While the past is no guarantee of the future it is typically the best predictor .
.....this has been a public service announcement from forum superstar clarion contrarion
QB luck- driskell
WR ant brown evans c davis golladay godwin gordon j washington doctson watson lazard patrick henderson
RB mixon cohen chubb aaron jones hunt malcolm brown
TE eifert howard njoku
K tucker DEF pittsburgh chicago
2012 , 2014 2015 2016 2017 & 2018 ACDL Champion 5 IN A ROW 6 in 7 years- now that is dynasty!
2013 ACDL runner up
2013 2014 2017 & 2018 (Undefeated 15-0 ) WORILDS OF HURT CHAMPION
2010 2014 & 2015 7 Rings for Steeltown CHAMPION 2011 & 2013 7 rings runner up
2018 Experts Dynasty League Champion
there is no after football
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.
— Leonardo da Vinci

whodunnit
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby whodunnit » Thu Mar 09, 2017 6:57 pm

skip wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2017 6:45 pm
GLSmk wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2017 5:01 pm just reported Browns are 'trying desperately' to get Garoppolo. I would love to for the Pats to get another 1st rounder, but I really think the Browns should keep Osweiler. If they have to pay him anyway, why not see how he does?
The report says New England wants the 1.01 and more compensation, as much as a first from 2018. As inept as some seem to think the Cleveland front office is, that expectation is completely asinine.
You gotta link on that Skip? I'm only finding the one on NFL.com saying the browns are interested. I'd love for the Pats to pull the 1.01 for him, but even I would be embarrassed for the Browns if they did that. I think Jimmy Garoppolo can be a fine starter in this league but I wouldn't want to pay the 1.01 to chance being wrong.
Watson Goff Purdy
Pierce Swift Robinson Conner Patterson
Hill Lamb Pittman Williams Renfrow Samuel
Hockenson Knox Kmet Schultz

skip
GOAT
GOAT

Postby skip » Thu Mar 09, 2017 7:02 pm

GLSmk wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2017 6:57 pm
You gotta link on that Skip? I'm only finding the one on NFL.com saying the browns are interested. I'd love for the Pats to pull the 1.01 for him, but even I would be embarrassed for the Browns if they did that. I think Jimmy Garoppolo can be a fine starter in this league but I wouldn't want to pay the 1.01 to chance being wrong.
http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.s ... trade.html

Personally, I wouldn't give the #12 even if that was the only compensation they wanted. Maybe a 2nd from this year and next as a max price.
If you can't leave at least a 20% tip, you can't afford to eat out.

whodunnit
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby whodunnit » Thu Mar 09, 2017 7:06 pm

skip wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2017 7:02 pm
GLSmk wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2017 6:57 pm

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.s ... trade.html

Personally, I wouldn't give the #12 even if that was the only compensation they wanted. Maybe a 2nd from this year and next as a max price.
The only way I disagree with that is if they were planning on drafting any of these rookie QB's in the first round. I think each and everyone needs to sit behind a veteran for a couple years. Thanks for the link :thumbup:
Watson Goff Purdy

clarion contrarion
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby clarion contrarion » Thu Mar 09, 2017 7:15 pm

skip you nailed the value , alex smith garnered 2 2nds if the browns group pays 12 plus let alone the 1:1 , the fans should riot .

If belichick gets rid of someone I wouldn't want them period but surely as hell not for premium draft capital , although it is yet to be proven that the new brown method can identify or maximize the picks they have so trusting someone else's picks may be smarter.
.....this has been a public service announcement from forum superstar clarion contrarion
QB luck- driskell
WR ant brown evans c davis golladay godwin gordon j washington doctson watson lazard patrick henderson
RB mixon cohen chubb aaron jones hunt malcolm brown
TE eifert howard njoku
K tucker DEF pittsburgh chicago
2012 , 2014 2015 2016 2017 & 2018 ACDL Champion 5 IN A ROW 6 in 7 years- now that is dynasty!
2013 ACDL runner up
2013 2014 2017 & 2018 (Undefeated 15-0 ) WORILDS OF HURT CHAMPION
2010 2014 & 2015 7 Rings for Steeltown CHAMPION 2011 & 2013 7 rings runner up
2018 Experts Dynasty League Champion
there is no after football
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.
— Leonardo da Vinci

AussieMate
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby AussieMate » Thu Mar 09, 2017 7:18 pm

Does anyone remember this very trade being suggested months ago. I wasn't as shocked when I heard the Brock trade happen because I believe I read this very scenario being talked about.. :think:

Valhalla
Legend
Legend

Postby Valhalla » Thu Mar 09, 2017 7:48 pm

A lot of moving pieces. The Browns acquiring pieces for jimmy...the Texans moving cap space to apparently sign romo...or what if it's to hand jimmy a big contract? The pats shopping jimmy AND trying to acquire assets to make a better offer for cooks. The saints waiting this all out to see if the pats can put together something they like better. The titans putting the pressure on the pats to get those assets quickly. Players I'm missing?

This is the most interesting offseason I can remember. Trades usually don't happen much aside from trading picks around. Belleckick and chip Kelly seemed to be the only frequent traders, confident enough to pull the trigger often. Seems the new Browns management is into that game as well. I hope it becomes more commonplace.

whodunnit
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby whodunnit » Thu Mar 09, 2017 7:53 pm

Valhalla wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2017 7:48 pm A lot of moving pieces. The Browns acquiring pieces for jimmy...the Texans moving cap space to apparently sign romo...or what if it's to hand jimmy a big contract? The pats shopping jimmy AND trying to acquire assets to make a better offer for cooks. The saints waiting this all out to see if the pats can put together something they like better. The titans putting the pressure on the pats to get those assets quickly. Players I'm missing?

This is the most interesting offseason I can remember. Trades usually don't happen much aside from trading picks around. Belleckick and chip Kelly seemed to be the only frequent traders, confident enough to pull the trigger often. Seems the new Browns management is into that game as well. I hope it becomes more commonplace.
I would love to see Jimmy G go to the Texans.
Watson Goff Purdy

Never Veto1
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Never Veto1 » Thu Mar 09, 2017 9:10 pm

Sorry couldn't read all 5 pages, but I read the first one and how someone can't see this as a win for the Browns is beyond me. They basically traded a 4th this year for a 2nd next year. I'll take that trade any and everyday
12 Team 1QB PPR
8 Starters - QB 1, RB 2(4), WR 3(5), TE 1(3)

QB - Kyler Murray, Derek Carr, Kenny Pickett
RB - Christian McCaffrey, Bijan Robinson, Kyren Williams, Travis Etienne, James Conner, Antonio Gibson, Chris Rodriguez
WR - Tee Higgins, Jordan Addison, Michael Pittman, Nico Collins, Rashee Rice, Christian Watson, Jerry Jeudy, Rashod Bateman
TE - Sam Laporta, Kyle Pitts, Darren Waller, Isaiah Likely
Picks - 2.10, 3.10, 4.10, 5.10