Osweiler Traded! Wowza

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
dynastyninja
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Re: Osweiler Traded! Wowza

Postby dynastyninja » Thu Mar 09, 2017 3:18 pm

I'm back to give my take on Brock (outside of my normal "he stinks" take).

Great move for both teams. Houston got rid of a player who would never really contribute and fixed a previous mistake. Cleveland got a really nice pick upgrade to hold onto a player for a year.

thebeast
Legend
Legend

Postby thebeast » Thu Mar 09, 2017 3:25 pm

Odd to hear people saying this move is brilliant for the Browns, maybe it's decent - paying $16 million to move up the net of 1 round a year later and a 6th round pick isn't something I would want my franchise to do.

I think it's brilliant for Houston. I don't think anyone thought there was any way they we're going to get out from under Osweiler and his killer contract.

AussieMate
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby AussieMate » Thu Mar 09, 2017 3:37 pm

I fail to see a downside, if pats did this everyone would fall to the ground kissing their feet. Now I'm not comparing the two franchises but the money side a moot point, if the net gain is just moving up a round in value then great. On another note, if they don't draft Garret then BPA I'll be done defending them ha

_yeti
All Pro
All Pro

Postby _yeti » Thu Mar 09, 2017 3:40 pm

In dynasty news I dealt Osweiler for 3.6 earlier today. Strike while the iron is hot!

Also, Browns still draft a QB for sure
Remember where you are - this is Thunderdome.
*5 leagues (est. 2015, '17, '18, '18, '22, 6 total 'ships)

12 Team SF, PPR, TE Prem., DT prem., IDP Start 10, QB, 1SF, 2-4 RB, 2-5 WR, 1-3 TE, 2DL, 2LB, 2DB, 1 IDPflex
QB: J. Fields, B. Mayfield, G. Smith, M. Mariota, S. Darnold
RB: T. Etienne, T. Pollard, S. Barkley, J.Jacobs A. Jones, , A. Gibson, D. Harris, Z. Moss, E. Elliott
WR: G. Wilson, T. Higgins, T. McLaurin C. Kirk, D. Hopkins, K. Toney. K. Osborn, M. Hardman
TE: T.J. Hockenson, K. Pitts, H. Henry
DL: M. Parsons, Q. Williams, D. Buckner, R. Gary
LB: F. Oluokun, R. Smith, A. Anzalone. L. David
DB: B. Baker, J. Metellus, R. Grant

ericanadian
Legend
Legend

Postby ericanadian » Thu Mar 09, 2017 3:48 pm

It's a great move for the Browns because they're several years away from having to pay the long list of picks they're going to make this year and it helps them get to the cap floor. I highly doubt Osweiler will be starting even if they retrain him. Kessler seems like their short term guy and with the improved line that should help him deal with the concussion issues that largely derailed his rookie year.
All I Der Is Win - 16 Team IDP League (Pass TD 6pts)

QB - Stafford, Stroud, Tune
RB - Swift, Hall, Penny, Bigsby, Ford
WR - Pittman, Olave, Di. Johnson, G. Wilson, J. Williams, Metchie, Robinson, M. Wilson
TE - Okonkwo, Schoonmaker
LB - Brooks, R. Smith, Phillips
DL - Crosby, Allen, Simmons
DB - D. James, Baker, Delpit
K - Just a stupid kicker

Phaded
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Phaded » Thu Mar 09, 2017 3:59 pm

Yes, they have to pay him..

However, they have a ton of cap space and have to hit the cap floor. Why not upgrade your pick if you have to spend money rather than spend money arbitrarily on some players that serve little long term.

They don't seem to be big players in FA and rightfully so, there's not much out there that would help them long term, if at all.

Pancakes
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby Pancakes » Thu Mar 09, 2017 4:14 pm

thebeast wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2017 3:25 pm Odd to hear people saying this move is brilliant for the Browns, maybe it's decent - paying $16 million to move up the net of 1 round a year later and a 6th round pick isn't something I would want my franchise to do.

I think it's brilliant for Houston. I don't think anyone thought there was any way they we're going to get out from under Osweiler and his killer contract.
it's a win-win. if you do not understand how this is brilliant, you need to look at the last 15 years of similar trades in other professional sports leagues. If you actually think Osweiler will be rostered Sept 1, I just don't know what to say.

Just because this hasn't happened in the NFL yet, doesn't make it wrong/dumb.
The Wildcards est. 2010 (2016 Champs)
12-team Non-PPR, standard scoring
Starts QB, QB/TE, RB, RB, RB/WR, WR, WR, WR, TE, K, DST
Rodgers, Dak, Tyrod, Trubisky, JimmyG, Savage
Latavius, Perine, JHoward, Gore, Skittles Lynch,Zenner, Ivory, Michael
Adams, Tyreek, Tyrell, Diggs, Rishard Matthews, J Matthews, Gabriel, Meredith, Enunwa
Eifert, JThomas, macdonald
Kicker
Defense

clarion contrarion
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby clarion contrarion » Thu Mar 09, 2017 4:33 pm

the browns doing it, is reason enough to assume that is IN FACT not brilliant !
.....this has been a public service announcement from forum superstar clarion contrarion
QB luck- driskell
WR ant brown evans c davis golladay godwin gordon j washington doctson watson lazard patrick henderson
RB mixon cohen chubb aaron jones hunt malcolm brown
TE eifert howard njoku
K tucker DEF pittsburgh chicago
2012 , 2014 2015 2016 2017 & 2018 ACDL Champion 5 IN A ROW 6 in 7 years- now that is dynasty!
2013 ACDL runner up
2013 2014 2017 & 2018 (Undefeated 15-0 ) WORILDS OF HURT CHAMPION
2010 2014 & 2015 7 Rings for Steeltown CHAMPION 2011 & 2013 7 rings runner up
2018 Experts Dynasty League Champion
there is no after football
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.
— Leonardo da Vinci

ninotoreS
Legend
Legend

Postby ninotoreS » Thu Mar 09, 2017 4:53 pm

As a beleaguered Braxton Miller truther, Osweiler's exit gives me hope.

Hopkins owners should also be throwing a party.
"I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit. It’s the only way to be sure."
- Sun Tzu, 469 BCE

whodunnit
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby whodunnit » Thu Mar 09, 2017 5:01 pm

just reported Browns are 'trying desperately' to get Garoppolo. I would love to for the Pats to get another 1st rounder, but I really think the Browns should keep Osweiler. If they have to pay him anyway, why not see how he does?
Watson Goff Purdy
Pierce Swift Robinson Conner Patterson
Hill Lamb Pittman Williams Renfrow Samuel
Hockenson Knox Kmet Schultz

ninotoreS
Legend
Legend

Postby ninotoreS » Thu Mar 09, 2017 5:02 pm

clarion contrarion wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2017 4:33 pm the browns doing it, is reason enough to assume that is IN FACT not brilliant !
That's less a 'reason' and more popular pseudo-wisdom ('herp derp, Browns are always bad, hurrrr'... it's tired and thoughtless).

Iirc, they have 11 picks in this year's stacked (I'm considering defense in addition to offense) class, and now they also have another quality pick for next year's draft. Brown's are doing just fine under Hue. They're finally committing fully to rebuilding, something they should have done years ago. Soon they're gonna be loaded with young talent on both sides of the ball.
"I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit. It’s the only way to be sure."
- Sun Tzu, 469 BCE

FiremanEd
Legend
Legend

Postby FiremanEd » Thu Mar 09, 2017 5:49 pm

I'm surprised people feel this is such a bad move by the Browns. I think they did pretty well. The money is irrelevant. They got better draft capital through it, and as insane as it sounds, they don't have anyone better at the moment anyway so can do whatever they want with him at the position. They still need to draft and develop a guy, or wait until 2018 where they hopefully have a high pick, or assets to move up and grab one. That or the cost to acquire Jimmy G won't be cheap and they still have holes to fill. Draft capital can be hard to acquire...and this was as close to free as it gets (ironic given the financial cost of it).

I'm not sold it is a great move for Houston, though I see the upside if they can in fact bring in Romo and get a shot at the Superbowl. That said, they paid to move a guy with no guarantee on who can replace him. The GM also admits a huge mistake. Bad contract. Lost money. Lost draft pick. Losing Bouye also hurts their defense overall, impacting their deep playoff chances (though Watt's return offsets that). They NEED to get Romo otherwise they moved a second without any potential improvement.

For the skill position players, Cleveland seems status quo, both because they don't have other options and he may not be there anyway. For Houston, this is very much TBD, but it at least gives hope...

Phaded
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Phaded » Thu Mar 09, 2017 5:57 pm

And even IF they get Romo.. and IF they make it to the playoffs.. Romo needs to be healthy if it happens. That in itself is a longshot.

Kudos to the Texans for throwing in the towel and acknowledging they messed up - but just because they are free of Os I think the concept that there is going to a massive upgrade at quarterback is optimistic at best. Yes, it can't get much worse - but if they end up having to roll with Savage it will not be that much better.

thebeast
Legend
Legend

Postby thebeast » Thu Mar 09, 2017 6:04 pm

Pancakes wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2017 4:14 pm
thebeast wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2017 3:25 pm Odd to hear people saying this move is brilliant for the Browns, maybe it's decent - paying $16 million to move up the net of 1 round a year later and a 6th round pick isn't something I would want my franchise to do.

it's a win-win. if you do not understand how this is brilliant, you need to look at the last 15 years of similar trades in other professional sports leagues. If you actually think Osweiler will be rostered Sept 1, I just don't know what to say.

Just because this hasn't happened in the NFL yet, doesn't make it wrong/dumb.
I guess you don't know what to say then. Burning $16 million to uprgade your pick is not brilliant. Surely there are cheaper ways to get an extra pick. Just because you read it's brilliant somewhere doesn't make it so.

Valhalla
Legend
Legend

Postby Valhalla » Thu Mar 09, 2017 6:09 pm

FiremanEd wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2017 5:49 pm I'm surprised people feel this is such a bad move by the Browns. I think they did pretty well. The money is irrelevant. They got better draft capital through it, and as insane as it sounds, they don't have anyone better at the moment anyway so can do whatever they want with him at the position. They still need to draft and develop a guy, or wait until 2018 where they hopefully have a high pick, or assets to move up and grab one. That or the cost to acquire Jimmy G won't be cheap and they still have holes to fill. Draft capital can be hard to acquire...and this was as close to free as it gets (ironic given the financial cost of it).

I'm not sold it is a great move for Houston, though I see the upside if they can in fact bring in Romo and get a shot at the Superbowl. That said, they paid to move a guy with no guarantee on who can replace him. The GM also admits a huge mistake. Bad contract. Lost money. Lost draft pick. Losing Bouye also hurts their defense overall, impacting their deep playoff chances (though Watt's return offsets that). They NEED to get Romo otherwise they moved a second without any potential improvement.

For the skill position players, Cleveland seems status quo, both because they don't have other options and he may not be there anyway. For Houston, this is very much TBD, but it at least gives hope...
Pretty much nailed my initial thoughts on this