Adding/Dropping During Week 17

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
erknjerk
Rookie
Rookie

Adding/Dropping During Week 17

Postby erknjerk » Sun Jan 01, 2017 3:52 pm

Superbowl was week 16. Now they are mad at me for dropping Def & kicker for prospects (rosters not locked). I've been promoting this for the last week years and doing it just as long. Am I the only person that does this or is this typical dynasty stuff.

As long this is an 8 man 24 person roster (I think way to small). It a friend's league so I'm not quiting.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Missile
Captain
Captain

Re: Adding/Dropping During Week 17

Postby Missile » Sun Jan 01, 2017 3:55 pm

If there is no rule against it I don't see a problem. A lot of people do this and pick up k,def next year during preseason

bruiser
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby bruiser » Sun Jan 01, 2017 3:59 pm

There should be a rule against it. If this is a 1st year league, expect many "there's not a rule for that" scenarios. My advice would be to lend yourself to let the commish rule. If this is a friends league, and you are far more competitive, then you really should add another league of higher competition to your portfolio.

Friends leagues will let you down more than most others, imo.
Just a guy who loves fantasy football - specifically defense.

MilwaukeesBest
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby MilwaukeesBest » Sun Jan 01, 2017 3:59 pm

I do the same thing. There's no rule preventing it. You're engaged and being proactive with some flyers. What's so bad about that, its smart IMO.
Team 1: 10 Team, 4 Keeper League, Non-PPR
QB: Deshaun Watson
RB: Ezekiel Elliott, Leonard Fournette, Kareem Hunt
WR: Julio Jones, Dez Bryant
TE: Rob Gronkowski

bruiser
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby bruiser » Sun Jan 01, 2017 4:06 pm

Yeah, it's smart to be the only active owner in the league if the rules specifically allow it, but realistically nobody in the league will be checking their dynasty rosters/free agents list after they are eliminated from the playoffs. I know this means opportunity for owners that do, but most every league has a lock on this especially after the league title has been awarded.

By design, you want all owners engaged for these kinds of player acquisition windows for a reason. You really don't want one owner running away with a 'friends' league because he is more available year-round for adding players. This is also the reason for specific 'windows' of waiver claims every week during the season: to give everyone an opportunity to check-in, albeit on different schedules.

Weeman
Role Player
Role Player

Postby Weeman » Sun Jan 01, 2017 4:07 pm

You're suppose to use the system to your advantage. K & def are weekly ww streams. I could care less if you have 40 roster spots. The goal is to not lose out on jordan howard, tyrell williams, ect Their is always someone out their who is going to have a great season on the wire. That pickup could turn into a free wr3, rb1 or a trade for a 1st rd rookie pick. I think your league mates need to ask themselves if it is immoral, unethical or illegal? Your roster construction shouldn't matter to anyone. As long as you start a k & def once the season starts. Keep up the good work.

Missile
Captain
Captain

Postby Missile » Sun Jan 01, 2017 6:01 pm

erknjerk wrote:Superbowl was week 16. Now they are mad at me for dropping Def & kicker for prospects (rosters not locked). I've been promoting this for the last week years and doing it just as long. Am I the only person that does this or is this typical dynasty stuff.

As long this is an 8 man 24 person roster (I think way to small). It a friend's league so I'm not quiting.

Is there a point in time where the rosters do lock?

erknjerk
Rookie
Rookie

Postby erknjerk » Sun Jan 01, 2017 6:13 pm

Non written so whenever NFL.com does things.

slaughterrt
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby slaughterrt » Sun Jan 01, 2017 11:07 pm

Isn't the point of dynasty to be active in the WW? The league had its super bowl, so now it's the offseason. Even if the league had a rule that required fielding full lineups throughout the season (I would consider this an unwritten rule anyway), the season is over. Just because some owners don't pay attention to their dynasty teams while actual football is still being played...give me a break. Sounds like sour grapes from owners who weren't actively pursuing or paying attention.

I do understand that some leagues have rosters locked at a certain point in the offseason. However, if there is no roster restrictions, then why the hell shouldn't he be allowed to make WW moves? Just because other owners don't feel the need to? Maybe they will think twice about it next time.

bruiser
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby bruiser » Mon Jan 02, 2017 12:52 am

Short answer: money leagues universally lock until owners re-up entry fees. If owners checked out months ago because they're not coming back, their team stands to lose serious competitive ground. While no-one is steering the team bus, other owners might stocking up until who knows when you decide to replace the bum. This sets up for a poor balance of owners in the league, but good news is it will fail.

My advice: lock rosters at some point before this happens. If it's not a money league, then great. You still want all owners on board before you unlock waivers, trades, etc. You don't want to be the best team because your other owners are off living life during the holidays while you pick the carcass. They'll rename your team The Buzzard

sloth8u
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby sloth8u » Mon Jan 02, 2017 10:58 am

Bruiser wrote:Short answer: money leagues universally lock until owners re-up entry fees. If owners checked out months ago because they're not coming back, their team stands to lose serious competitive ground. While no-one is steering the team bus, other owners might stocking up until who knows when you decide to replace the bum. This sets up for a poor balance of owners in the league, but good news is it will fail.

My advice: lock rosters at some point before this happens. If it's not a money league, then great. You still want all owners on board before you unlock waivers, trades, etc. You don't want to be the best team because your other owners are off living life during the holidays while you pick the carcass. They'll rename your team The Buzzard
the problem in general with this thought---> you are arguing over guys that every single owner in the league could have had. these are end of bench guys that every single member could have owned, often times these types of players sat on the ww all season. now others want to complain because they are added?

through the years ive seen quite a few ww addition disputes throughout several leagues, surrounding pretty much this very topic. when can guys be added. if the ww isnt locked...owners are free to roster whomever they want.

you can point to teams being eliminated and checking out, but perhaps thats exactly why they arent as strong.

i play in all the different formats when it comes to the ww. if its open...use it. not all my leagues allow for me to drop like this, but i do so in the ones that allow it. i do beleive it should be locked shortly after the season though until your rookie draft is complete.

bruiser
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby bruiser » Mon Jan 02, 2017 12:35 pm

Agree that it should be used where defined in the rules. If not defined, this major flaw will erode at the competitive landscape. You really do want all owners participating in team construction.

Shoreline Steamers
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby Shoreline Steamers » Mon Jan 02, 2017 1:38 pm

Unless there is a rule against it, everyone in the league could employ the same strategy, correct? So I don't see an issue with it. Now, if your league mates want the wire to close for the offseason, then put it to a vote and make a rule defining when the end of free agency takes place.

Our league locks the wire on the Tuesday at noon following the last BYE week. Everyone knows this is their last chance to tinker with their roster for free, and either participates or doesn't. We don't have a rule about roster makeup, and if a team wishes to dump their K/Def heading into the offseason it's perfectly fine. Assuming of course that they roster one of each in season to field a complete lineup.

And as for the OP's question, yes, this is typical dynasty stuff. I've seen many posts about owners who do exactly as you're doing. Then they add a K/Def back to their team late in the rookie draft, or off the wire before the season starts.
14 Team, No-PPR, 20 Man Roster, TD Heavy, TD = 6, FG = 3, Start: QB, 2RB, 2WR, TE, Flex, K, D
QB: L. Jackson, B. Purdy, T. Lance
RB: J. Mixon, N. Chubb, A. Dillon, J. Cook, K. Mitchell, J. McLaughlin, Z. Evans
WR: J. Chase, C. Godwin, D. Johnson, J. Reed, C. Tillman
TE: TJ Hockenson, D. Njoku, B. Jordan

14 Team, .5 PPR, 18 Man Roster, Rush/Rec TD = 6, Pass TD = 4, FG = 3, Start: QB, 2RB, 2WR, TE, Flex, K, D
QB: L. Jackson, T. Tagovailoa
RB: B. Robinson, K. Walker, R. Stevenson, K. Herbertl
WR: C. Olave, T. Higgins, B. Aiyuk, N. Collins, Z. Flowers, M. Mims
TE: K. Pitts, D. Njoku

bruiser
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby bruiser » Mon Jan 02, 2017 5:30 pm

I am currently adding players to my roster in one league. There is only one other owner (16-tms) that is also doing this. We already know of 2 owners that quit the league, so their teams are surely behind...

I get what everyone here is saying about taking where you can. The problem is: the league I am talking about is doomed. The commish will not have any fortitude to come out and put a halt to my pillaging. It's not the first offseason that I've done this. This is a money league that is not worth the small prize. The league will fail soon.

slaughterrt
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby slaughterrt » Mon Jan 02, 2017 6:24 pm

If owners "check out" during the season, then they need to be replaced. That responsibility falls onto the commish. If they "check out" during the offseason (and there is no WW lock), then it's the fault of the team owner and the responsibility falls on those individual owners. If enough owners are inactive during the offseason, then it falls on the commish to either replace those guys or implement a WW lock. If the owners don't care enough to be active year round (this is dynasty and not redraft), and the commish doesn't care enough to fix the problem (one way or another), then the league is doomed.