Giving up on a 1st rounder too soon - League dilema

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
zoster80
All Pro
All Pro

Giving up on a 1st rounder too soon - League dilema

Postby zoster80 » Wed Nov 02, 2016 7:01 am

Someone just dropped a L treadwell for a kicker no less. I contacted the commish immediately to see if there was something he could do to some how prevent this. I sent a text to the league mentioning that this is bad for the league and that the owner, who is a really nice guy but honestly is a terrible dynasty player, should be protected from himself.

We have 22 roster spots, so its not the longest benches but still this guy was the consensus top WR in the draft. To give up on his so soon is bad I feel. Is there anything that can be put in place to prevent this, without a taxi? Maybe not being allowed to drop your 1st rounder for a year. Does this happen is anyone else's league?
Zo Nasty -12 Teams, PPR, 30 players - Keep 24
Start QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, TE, 2 Flex, K, DST

QB: Herbert, B Young
RB: Bijan, Warren, Z Moss, K Ingram, J kelley
WR: D London, Z Flowers, JSN, J Reed, QJ G Davis, Gallup, DPJ, M Mims, J Metchie, W Robinson, J Tolbert, J Jennings
TE: J Ferguson Fant, J Johnson, Gesicki
DST: Colts NE
K: Butker

2024 Picks
2025 Picks

QB: Burrow Dobbs, R Wilson, Stidham, Carr,
RB: CMC, Hall, K Walker, Swift, M Sanders M Carter, K Gainwell, CEH, Hunt, C Evans, E Wilson, P Taylor, D Johnson,
WR: DJM, Metcalf, AJ Brown, Hopkins, M Gallup, Chark, T Scott, P Washington, G Dortch, J Watson, R Woods
TE: M Andrews, Fant , Hudson, Higbee, L Thomas, J Johnson,
DST: SF, PHI

TAXI:
C Jones, B Strange, J Shorter, W Levis
2024 Picks
4.11,5.11,6.05, 6.11[/size]
2025 Picks
2026 Picks

nathanq42
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Re: Giving up on a 1st rounder too soon - League dilema

Postby nathanq42 » Wed Nov 02, 2016 7:16 am

Wow... Redraft mentality for the win eh? The rule you suggested would be one wat of going about it. It just sounds like a weird rule for me because I could never imagine dropping a first rounder for a kicker let alone a high end first rounder. I think you've gotta scoop up tread and once he beasts it the other owner will learn his lesson in patience. I'm still holding on to agholor....
12 Team 1 ppr .1 points per carry
Garbage
QB Jalen Hurts
RB A-train, D'Onta Foreman,Jahmyr Gibbs, JK Dobbins, Rashaad Penny, AJ Dillon, Jerrick McKinnon, Joshua Kelley, TDP, Chase Edmonds, JRob, Zamir White
WR CeeDee Lamb, Justin Jefferson, DJ Moore, Hollywood Brown, Brandin Cooks, Odell Beckham Junior, Marvin Jones, Braxton Berrios, Richie James
TE Dalton Kincaid, Foster Moreau
+2 Flex
1.02, 1.06

LibertyCountyBrawler
Role Player
Role Player

Postby LibertyCountyBrawler » Wed Nov 02, 2016 7:22 am

These posts bother me, especially in dynasty. Why does it bother you that someone is giving up on a player? Their loss is your (or someone with more waiver budget) gain. Stop trying to police nonsense. Are they paying to be in the league? If so let them manager their team as they choose. I can see if he traded Treadwell away for a kicker getting upset, couple years back I commished a league where two teams, close friends, traded Stevie Johnson for Hauschka straight up. At first I was annoyed and had the league vote on whether it should go through. Every single owner said who cares, let them do what the please. Turns out the guy receiving Stevie Johnson lost out on the deal as Hauschka outscored him that year and helped the guy go deep in the playoffs.

The owner will learn the process. Instead of complaining to the commish and trying to prevent it. After you scoop up Treadwell shoot the guy a message and say thanks for the talent. He'll get the point if Treadwell pans out next year or the year after. If he doesn't than you are the one with egg on your face and it turns out to be a good move for the guy.

TLDR - Let owners manager their teams. Stop getting involved.
Liberty County Brawlers - Dynasty Brew League
2016 Season - 10-3
12 team - 30 Man Roster + 2 IR, PPR
1QB-2RB-2 WR-1 TE-1FLEX-1K-1DB-1DL-1LB-1DFLEX
2017 Draft picks - 1, 2, 3, 4 (late), 4(early), 5
QB – RODGERS, CARR
RB – D. JOHNSON, J. WHITE, W. SMALLWOOD, E. LACY, R. KELLEY, K. FARROW
WR – JULIO JONES, A. JEFFREY, R. COBB, J. MATTHEWS, J. CROWDER, T. HILL, JJ. NELSON, B. TREGGS, D. INMAN, K. ALLEN
TE – Z. ERTZ, D. PITTA, A. SEFERIAN-JENKINS, J. JAMES, CJ FIEDOROWICZ, L. THOMAS
K – B. MCMANUS
DB – T. JEFFERSON, M. JENKINS
DL – D. HUNTER, J. BOSA, J.J. WATT
LB – K. ALEXANDER, T. DAVIS, T. SMITH, D. BUCANNON

Liberty County Brawlers - Jardel League
2016 Season - 9-4
10 Team - 20 Man Roster - PPR - 7 KEEPER
1 QB-2RB-4 WR-1 TE-1 RB/WR/TE
QB – D. CARR, J. WINSTON
RB – D. JOHNSON, T. WEST, T. RIDDICK, C. HYDE, J. LANGFORD, D. HENRY, R. KELLEY
WR – D. THOMAS, R. COBB, W. FULLER, A. COOPER, T. AUSTIN, T. LOCKETT, M. SANU, J. LANDRY, J. GORDON
TE – D. WALKER, T. KELCE

KCLep20
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby KCLep20 » Wed Nov 02, 2016 7:37 am

LibertyCountyBrawler wrote:These posts bother me, especially in dynasty. Why does it bother you that someone is giving up on a player? Their loss is your (or someone with more waiver budget) gain. Stop trying to police nonsense. Are they paying to be in the league? If so let them manager their team as they choose. I can see if he traded Treadwell away for a kicker getting upset, couple years back I commished a league where two teams, close friends, traded Stevie Johnson for Hauschka straight up. At first I was annoyed and had the league vote on whether it should go through. Every single owner said who cares, let them do what the please. Turns out the guy receiving Stevie Johnson lost out on the deal as Hauschka outscored him that year and helped the guy go deep in the playoffs.

The owner will learn the process. Instead of complaining to the commish and trying to prevent it. After you scoop up Treadwell shoot the guy a message and say thanks for the talent. He'll get the point if Treadwell pans out next year or the year after. If he doesn't than you are the one with egg on your face and it turns out to be a good move for the guy.

^^ This.

I also had an owner drop Treadwell a couple weeks back after he lost Sammy/Keenan Allen/Abdullah/Lacy all to injuries. He just didn't have enough space to keep him. Forcing people to hold on to people they made a decision on is unfair to them, it's their team and as long as they pay and are somewhat active, let them run their own team.
1QB/2RB/2WR/1TE/1Flex (RB/WR/TE)/1 Superflex (QB/RB/WR/TE)
'Ships: 2008, 2017, 2019, 2021; 2nd place: 2010, 2014, 2018, 2022
12 team PPR with 14 Keepers/year
2023 Draft Picks: 1.04, 1.05, 1.11, 3.04, 3.07, 5.04
QB: L.Jackson, J. Burrow, G. Minshew, J. Winston
RB: J.Mixon, ETN, Jav.Williams, J.Conner, Z.Moss, JK Dobbins (IR), N.Chubb (IR)
WR: AJB, CD Lamb, DK, C.Sutton
TE: M.Andrews, T.McBride, I. Likely

zoster80
All Pro
All Pro

Postby zoster80 » Wed Nov 02, 2016 7:59 am

KCLep20 wrote:
LibertyCountyBrawler wrote:These posts bother me, especially in dynasty. Why does it bother you that someone is giving up on a player? Their loss is your (or someone with more waiver budget) gain. Stop trying to police nonsense. Are they paying to be in the league? If so let them manager their team as they choose. I can see if he traded Treadwell away for a kicker getting upset, couple years back I commished a league where two teams, close friends, traded Stevie Johnson for Hauschka straight up. At first I was annoyed and had the league vote on whether it should go through. Every single owner said who cares, let them do what the please. Turns out the guy receiving Stevie Johnson lost out on the deal as Hauschka outscored him that year and helped the guy go deep in the playoffs.

^^ This.

I also had an owner drop Treadwell a couple weeks back after he lost Sammy/Keenan Allen/Abdullah/Lacy all to injuries. He just didn't have enough space to keep him. Forcing people to hold on to people they made a decision on is unfair to them, it's their team and as long as they pay and are somewhat active, let them run their own team.
I agree with both of you, but I also feel that it hurts the league as a whole. We have two teams that have never made the playoffs in the 7 years of existence and I think that this doesn't help. Giving up free top prospects to playoff teams makes teams like that lose hope. The guy could have at least offered him up and got a pick back instead of giving him up for free. I just want to make sure teams don't get discouraged and say F it.

WR: D London, Z Flowers, JSN, J Reed, QJ G Davis, Gallup, DPJ, M Mims, J Metchie, W Robinson, J Tolbert, J Jennings

2024 Picks
2025 Picks

RB: CMC, Hall, K Walker, Swift, M Sanders M Carter, K Gainwell, CEH, Hunt, C Evans, E Wilson, P Taylor, D Johnson,
WR: DJM, Metcalf, AJ Brown, Hopkins, M Gallup, Chark, T Scott, P Washington, G Dortch, J Watson, R Woods

TAXI:
2024 Picks
2025 Picks
2026 Picks

LibertyCountyBrawler
Role Player
Role Player

Postby LibertyCountyBrawler » Wed Nov 02, 2016 8:12 am

I hear you, but you can't force owners to hold players. If you attempted that in my league I'd laugh.

Maybe it's better if the owner drops out and you replace them with stronger, more knowledgeable owners. That in itself would grow the league.
Liberty County Brawlers - Dynasty Brew League
2016 Season - 10-3
12 team - 30 Man Roster + 2 IR, PPR
1QB-2RB-2 WR-1 TE-1FLEX-1K-1DB-1DL-1LB-1DFLEX
2017 Draft picks - 1, 2, 3, 4 (late), 4(early), 5
QB – RODGERS, CARR
RB – D. JOHNSON, J. WHITE, W. SMALLWOOD, E. LACY, R. KELLEY, K. FARROW
WR – JULIO JONES, A. JEFFREY, R. COBB, J. MATTHEWS, J. CROWDER, T. HILL, JJ. NELSON, B. TREGGS, D. INMAN, K. ALLEN
TE – Z. ERTZ, D. PITTA, A. SEFERIAN-JENKINS, J. JAMES, CJ FIEDOROWICZ, L. THOMAS
K – B. MCMANUS
DB – T. JEFFERSON, M. JENKINS
DL – D. HUNTER, J. BOSA, J.J. WATT
LB – K. ALEXANDER, T. DAVIS, T. SMITH, D. BUCANNON

Liberty County Brawlers - Jardel League
2016 Season - 9-4
10 Team - 20 Man Roster - PPR - 7 KEEPER
1 QB-2RB-4 WR-1 TE-1 RB/WR/TE
QB – D. CARR, J. WINSTON
RB – D. JOHNSON, T. WEST, T. RIDDICK, C. HYDE, J. LANGFORD, D. HENRY, R. KELLEY
WR – D. THOMAS, R. COBB, W. FULLER, A. COOPER, T. AUSTIN, T. LOCKETT, M. SANU, J. LANDRY, J. GORDON
TE – D. WALKER, T. KELCE

berserkers
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby berserkers » Wed Nov 02, 2016 8:22 am

Small roster for dynasty if you ask me. I don't have a problem with it and neither should you. I own McKinnon and Diggs so I know where he is coming from.
Last edited by berserkers on Wed Nov 02, 2016 8:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

skip
GOAT
GOAT

Postby skip » Wed Nov 02, 2016 8:22 am

Implementing rules to "protect owners from themselves" is a bad way to run a league. This is the mentality of the veto system. There are just very bad dynasty owners who should be participating in other formats and this owner is one of them. In most leagues I am in this move isn't going to ultimately hurt the league anyway as the team on the bottom will end up with the first opportunity to acquire Treadwell.
If you can't leave at least a 20% tip, you can't afford to eat out.

nathanq42
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby nathanq42 » Wed Nov 02, 2016 8:36 am

I was also trying to get jstew off a guy that is 0-8. He normally plays re draft. I offered a second for j stew and he said his first rounder (tread) isn't helping him now so why would a second rounder help him... Oh redraft guys haha
12 Team 1 ppr .1 points per carry
Garbage
QB Jalen Hurts
RB A-train, D'Onta Foreman,Jahmyr Gibbs, JK Dobbins, Rashaad Penny, AJ Dillon, Jerrick McKinnon, Joshua Kelley, TDP, Chase Edmonds, JRob, Zamir White
WR CeeDee Lamb, Justin Jefferson, DJ Moore, Hollywood Brown, Brandin Cooks, Odell Beckham Junior, Marvin Jones, Braxton Berrios, Richie James
TE Dalton Kincaid, Foster Moreau
+2 Flex
1.02, 1.06

joeday
GOAT
GOAT

Postby joeday » Wed Nov 02, 2016 8:39 am

I mean why would you roster one of the gunners on punt coverage anyway?!? lol
BERLIN BOMBERS (0 – 0)
1996 | 2005 | 2012 | 2013 | 2014 | 2017 – 🏆
1999 | 2000 | 2019 | 2020 – 🥈

14 team | 4 keepers | non ppr | est. 1996
QB –
RB – Christian McCaffrey | Josh Jacobs
WR – AJ Brown | CeeDee Lamb
TE –

ROCKY MOUNTAIN MASTODONS (0 – 0)
2011 | 2013 | 2015 | 2016 | 2017 | 2018 | 2020 – 🏆
2008 | 2012 | 2014 | 2019 – 🥈

12 team | 10 keepers | non ppr | est. 2001
QB – Joe Burrow
RB – Tony Pollard | Kenneth Walker III | Rhamondre Stevenson
WR – Justin Jefferson | Stefon Diggs | DK Metcalf | Tee Higgins | Jameson Williams
TE – Trey McBride

Overall 2024 Regular Season Record: 0 – 0

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Cameron Giles » Wed Nov 02, 2016 9:09 am

Find a new league.

zoster80
All Pro
All Pro

Postby zoster80 » Wed Nov 02, 2016 9:35 am

Cameron Giles wrote:Find a new league.
its not that big of a deal, my team is solid....I'm just going to drop the issue, I wish I could just wake the guy up...

2024 Picks
2025 Picks

TAXI:
2024 Picks
2025 Picks
2026 Picks

_yeti
All Pro
All Pro

Postby _yeti » Wed Nov 02, 2016 9:46 am

This doesn't happen in my league because I don't play in a keep 16 league with kickers and team defense.

Let owners manage their teams and don't blame them for doing it how they choose with those settings, which are horrible
Remember where you are - this is Thunderdome.
*5 leagues (est. 2015, '17, '18, '18, '22, 6 total 'ships)

12 Team SF, PPR, TE Prem., DT prem., IDP Start 10, QB, 1SF, 2-4 RB, 2-5 WR, 1-3 TE, 2DL, 2LB, 2DB, 1 IDPflex
QB: J. Fields, B. Mayfield, G. Smith, M. Mariota, S. Darnold
RB: T. Etienne, T. Pollard, S. Barkley, J.Jacobs A. Jones, , A. Gibson, D. Harris, Z. Moss, E. Elliott
WR: G. Wilson, T. Higgins, T. McLaurin C. Kirk, D. Hopkins, K. Toney. K. Osborn, M. Hardman
TE: T.J. Hockenson, K. Pitts, H. Henry
DL: M. Parsons, Q. Williams, D. Buckner, R. Gary
LB: F. Oluokun, R. Smith, A. Anzalone. L. David
DB: B. Baker, J. Metellus, R. Grant

BelichekYourSelf
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby BelichekYourSelf » Wed Nov 02, 2016 10:12 am

zoster80 wrote:

I agree with both of you, but I also feel that it hurts the league as a whole. We have two teams that have never made the playoffs in the 7 years of existence and I think that this doesn't help. Giving up free top prospects to playoff teams makes teams like that lose hope. The guy could have at least offered him up and got a pick back instead of giving him up for free. I just want to make sure teams don't get discouraged and say F it.

I completely agree with Liberty here. And it's not your job to make sure other teams don't give up. Honestly if those owners are that bad the league would be better off if they quit and were replaced by more competent owners.
12 Team. Roster 22, 4 TS. PPR, TE Prem (1.75). Start 1 QB, 5 flex (2 RB Max), 1 Def, 1 K
QB P. Mahomes, J. Goff, B Zappe (TS)
RB S. Barkley, N. Chubb, R. Stevenson, T. Pollard, J. Cook, K. Herbert, A. Mattison, E. Mitchell
WR AJ Brown, DK Metcalf, C. Kupp, A. Cooper, D. Hopkins, DJ Moore, B. Aiyuk, R. Doubs, K. Boutte (TS), C. Tillman (TS), M. Wilson (TS)
TE M. Andrews
Def Patriots, Ravens

rubber_duck
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby rubber_duck » Wed Nov 02, 2016 11:59 am

BelichekYourSelf wrote:Honestly if those owners are that bad the league would be better off if they quit and were replaced by more competent owners.
Are we still talking about fantasy football or has the conversation switched to the Browns, Jags and Niners? :wink: