OBJ #1 fantasy asset in FF?

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
knotts4372
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Re: OBJ #1 fantasy asset in FF?

Postby knotts4372 » Tue Oct 04, 2016 6:21 pm

he never was the number 1 dynasty asset and its comical to me those that think he was but thats their prerogative. he should be mentioned in that high 2nd tier guys with evans, nuk, etc but no way i see him up there with the two real tier 1 wr who continue to be antonio and julio
DLF hall of famers 16 teams 25 man roster
http://football29.myfantasyleague.com/2 ... =07&F=0016

IRONCLAD 16 teams 40 man rosters http://www.fleaflicker.com/nfl/leagues/133985/teams/

@donnynutz on twitter

Blitzintheburgh
Combine Attendee
Combine Attendee

Postby Blitzintheburgh » Tue Oct 04, 2016 6:36 pm

I find it funny that no matter who is discussed in these forums, you can look at the posters roster in sig and understand. A player could be THE wr1 for the season and still see the same bias. Got to just follow your own instincts and not let others influence. That's why I would never use the team advice section.

Blitzintheburgh
Combine Attendee
Combine Attendee

Postby Blitzintheburgh » Tue Oct 04, 2016 6:39 pm

Just to clarify, I have my own bias. I just never think my OPINION , is better than others.

Phaded
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Phaded » Tue Oct 04, 2016 7:50 pm

Blitzintheburgh wrote:I find it funny that no matter who is discussed in these forums, you can look at the posters roster in sig and understand. A player could be THE wr1 for the season and still see the same bias. Got to just follow your own instincts and not let others influence. That's why I would never use the team advice section.
It's not so much bias as - you own the players you like and don't own the players you don't like.

I don't make moves because of community-perceived value; I make my moves based on my evaluations.

This applies to any player - not just OBJ.

Coogan Football
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Coogan Football » Tue Oct 04, 2016 10:08 pm

He's probably my favorite p!ayer to hate, but this is about as classy as it gets, you gotta see this:

http://dailysnark.com/odell-beckham-sho ... ants-game/
12 team 6pts all TDs/.5ppr/SFlex/ balanced IDP, scoring est. 2008
Start QB,SF,2RB,3WR,TE,2Flex,3DL,3LB,3DB,2DFlex
3x Champion 2015, 2016, 2017
QB: Brees, Luck, Prescott, McCarron, C.Kelly, Peterman
RB: Elliott, Gurley, Hunt, Kamara, Gordon, Howard, McCaffrey, J.Williams,
WR: Julio, Hopkins, M.Thomas, TY, Watkins, Kupp, C.Davis, Thomas (LA), Carroo, Switzer, Tr. Taylor
TE: Olsen, Engram, Howard, Fleener, Swoope
DL: Watt, Mack, C.Jordan, Bosa, D.Hunter, Clowney, Armstead
LB: Kuechly, Ogletree, Mosley, McKinney, R.Foster, Bucannon, Z.Cunningham, Anzalone, ShaqT,
, Goodson, Pullard,
DB: H.Smith, Vaccaro, B.Jones, Neal, Adoree, K.Joseph, Geathers, M.Maye, J.Jones, D Thompson

Don't be the guy that asks for advice without giving some out yourself
#WhoDat

The Fantasy Feud
MVP
MVP

Postby The Fantasy Feud » Wed Oct 05, 2016 4:32 am

Coogan Football wrote:He's probably my favorite p!ayer to hate, but this is about as classy as it gets, you gotta see this:

There it is. This is why he isn't having fun anymore. It almost feels like he's just being bullied by the media. I'm obviously a huge OBJ fan but that is the first time i have seen that video. That's the side the media doesn't show, like how he donated i think like 500K to the Louisiana flooding (Barely spoke of) but the media only focuses in on the 1 or 2 bad things he does a game and makes them into the biggest thing in the world. And the sad part is most people on this forum are just media followers. No one really does there own reasearch to see Odell isn't a nut case and it really is just him being an insanely passionate (sometimes overly) guy when it comes to football. And when he's subject to all this media hate it must be hard. I'm sure he sees all the memes and all the ones made out to make fun of him. People forget that Pro athletes in general are humans too.
Hosts of The Fantasy Feud - Fantasy Football Podcast

https://linktr.ee/thefantasyfeud

The Fantasy Feud
MVP
MVP

Postby The Fantasy Feud » Wed Oct 05, 2016 4:57 am

*Waits for the ignorant response*
Hosts of The Fantasy Feud - Fantasy Football Podcast

https://linktr.ee/thefantasyfeud

Missile
Captain
Captain

Postby Missile » Wed Oct 05, 2016 5:04 am

Coogan Football wrote:He's probably my favorite p!ayer to hate, but this is about as classy as it gets, you gotta see this:

Unfortunately people sometimes don't know how to separate on vs off the field. I've seen terms in this thread like "punk" etc. OBJ definitely needs to control his emotions better. However as a person off the field he seems to be a great guy. That tends to get overlooked as we base things on what we see.

Phaded
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Phaded » Wed Oct 05, 2016 5:06 am

The bad always overshadows the good; for anything.

That said - OBJ has revealed a huge weakness. Expect to see teams exploit this constantly going forward.

The reputation you earn when you first come into the league typically sticks with you.

Jfever
Legend
Legend

Postby Jfever » Wed Oct 05, 2016 6:28 am

To be honest, I was one of the guys.... I did refer to him as a punk earlier. To be clear, I'm talking specifically about his behavior on the field. I'm quite sure many NFL athletes do some great humanitarian things for their communities off the field. As they should in my opinion. I'm a bit liberal when it comes to that type of viewpoint / opinion. Anyway, I guess I was only speaking on what I've personally seen with my own eyes. I know he is a talented player, and a very valuable potentially #1 overall dynasty asset. He is a tough competitor and he is intense, maybe too intense on the field. Many, many wr have played this game before OBJ. Some had tremendous success, some made it to the HOF. Not all of them approached the game like he does. There are different ways to go about achieving success. There are different approaches. I think if he takes a step back he can realize that he can have fun, he can continue to be successful, and he doesn't have to play with that over aggressiveness that is bringing him down this path. The game is different than it was just 5-6 years ago when Steve Smith was doing his stupid crap and most of it didn't get called. When Hines Ward would seemingly, purposefully, go head hunting on a crack back block, etc. He (OBJ and the people in his corner) simply has to be aware of the changing landscape of the NFL, social media, and, primarily the over hyped east coast / NY media.

The NY media and the media that basically over analyzes and gives WAY too much attention to the NFC East (considering it is one of the weakest divisions in the entire league) - hasn't changed and it isn't going away. It is population / ratings driven. Not quality of the teams driven. He became the media's darling with his "catch". That attention brings good and bad things with it. Gotta take the good with the bad. He is still young and hopefully he matures. Most people do.

I know I'll likely never own him. That doesn't mean I don't think his play isn't fun to watch. I do think he is a special talent. I'll give credit where credit is due. He is very much in the conversation as the #1 dynasty asset. I wouldn't fault someone for siding with Julio, A.Brown though. I see both of them as class acts. And, Julio has been my favorite wr for several years. I just love the way he plays the game.
Truth is found through Evidence.

Science is the poetry of reality.

* Reality (as defined by Webster's dictionary) - A word for things as they actually exist, as opposed to an idealistic or notional ideal of them.

Ray Finkle
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Ray Finkle » Wed Oct 05, 2016 6:39 am

JFever wrote:3 for 23. Enough said. Worst game of career (while healthy) if I'm not mistaken.

Julio
9/26/16...1rec-16yd (in a game Atl scored 45 vs the frickin Saints)
10/2/16...12rec-300yd

AB
9/18/16...4rec-39yd
9/25/16...12rec-140yd

These games happen to every player in the league. All 3 of these guys will throw up another game like this before the end of the season. The difference is we've watched Julio and AB behave like total professionals over the years. Well, with the excretion of AB twerking. OBJ is young, flamboyant, loud and gets a ton of exposure. Cam caught the heat all last season. These threads will flare up about guys like OBJ until the end of time because they are easy targets to hate on. (if you're in to hating people which I've never understood)

I would rank as AB, Julio, OBJ but with Beckhams age and the way he entered the league doing things AB and Julio weren't even close to accomplishing to start their career I might lean OBJ. If it were a snake draft, give me the third pick.

Jfever
Legend
Legend

Postby Jfever » Wed Oct 05, 2016 7:11 am

I think I was more giving credit to the Mn defense more so than ripping on OBJ performance. I agree those ups and downs for every player are likely.

In julio's and AB's cases I think their teams won in the games they disappeared if I'm not mistaken. The Giants looked inept when OBJ is shut down. Different teams. I guess, give credit to the Mn def. Anyway, I'm not sure OBJ is a guy to depend on (real football wise) or that can put the team on his shoulders. When the going gets tough, it seems He gets too carried away when challenged physically and mentally, emotionally and, in a way, takes himself out of the game. He just isn't quite mature enough to handle the limelight NY media and the pressure associated with it. Skill wise, he is top notch. Between the ears, I think he has room to grow. With time, I think he likely will. He is young.
Truth is found through Evidence.

Science is the poetry of reality.

* Reality (as defined by Webster's dictionary) - A word for things as they actually exist, as opposed to an idealistic or notional ideal of them.

Ray Finkle
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Ray Finkle » Wed Oct 05, 2016 7:19 am

Yeah,I got you JFever. I just happen to see the numbers you had there and quoted them. Made me think of how when some other lower keyed vets have down games, stretches or seasons it's just not as big of a deal. However, when certain guys in sports have tough stretches, everything gets over analyzed. Typically it's the more flamboyant dudes like OBJ or Bryce Harper/Steph Curry in other sports.

Telperion
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby Telperion » Wed Oct 05, 2016 7:38 am

He's an on-field head case who has shown that the other team can mentally influence his game. Say what you will about TO, he didn't get thrown off his game.

I don't like him as a football player, I liked him as a dynasty player, but he's shown that he can be neutralized by getting in his head. That's, to me, a big risk.
- Don't waste your time on late round NFL draft picks: Success rates by NFL draft round and speed.
- Team(s): Team 1

FiremanEd
Legend
Legend

Postby FiremanEd » Wed Oct 05, 2016 7:45 am

Giants wrote:*Waits for the ignorant response*
Lots of guys do things off the field and don't get covered. This is across all sports. Acting like its a slight against OBJ specifically is off base.

It's not hard to understand the opinions are about him on the football field (or sidelines), where the comments mentioned 100% apply. He's weak emotionally from a stability standpoint, lets people get in his head, feels he's always on the losing end, and isn't afraid to take cheap shots when he gets heated. We've seen this and this is what the sports world focuses on, as it would for other players. Naturally, when you're a better player it gets magnified for the media. Right now he happens to be very good at football, but also one of the more overly emotional players, so it's an easy 'target'.

Good to see the video with the troops and thanks for sharing, but it changes nothing for me in terms of what I focus or comment on relating to OBJ. It is good to see he's not the same off the field...that would just be sad.