Scoring

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
jdomer2403
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Scoring

Postby jdomer2403 » Tue Sep 20, 2016 5:17 am

After week 2, it was identified that when player fumbles or throws an interception the scoring takes -2 which is correct but if that same fumble or interception is taken for a TD, the scoring changes from -2 to -6. The problem here is MFL took it as a fumble/interception -2 and if went for TD -6 for a total of -8. The other owners were upset by this since the scoring it double dipping.

What should be do to correct? If changed, it will affect the outcome of 1 matchup. Please provide some counsel.

murphysxm
Degenerate
Degenerate

Re: Scoring

Postby murphysxm » Tue Sep 20, 2016 5:56 am

what do the settings/rules say? That is a stupid way to score it, but if that is what the rules say, you fix it next year.
I am just a guy sharing some thoughts

clarion contrarion
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby clarion contrarion » Tue Sep 20, 2016 6:03 am

such a huge blunder should be corrected immediately . The commish needs to fall on his sword for the sake of the league , admit he screwed up the settings and change ASAP . I would not retroactively change it as someone likely should have caught it prior to games being played . It is just too steep of a penalty to leave uncorrected .
.....this has been a public service announcement from forum superstar clarion contrarion
QB luck- driskell
WR ant brown evans c davis golladay godwin gordon j washington doctson watson lazard patrick henderson
RB mixon cohen chubb aaron jones hunt malcolm brown
TE eifert howard njoku
K tucker DEF pittsburgh chicago
2012 , 2014 2015 2016 2017 & 2018 ACDL Champion 5 IN A ROW 6 in 7 years- now that is dynasty!
2013 ACDL runner up
2013 2014 2017 & 2018 (Undefeated 15-0 ) WORILDS OF HURT CHAMPION
2010 2014 & 2015 7 Rings for Steeltown CHAMPION 2011 & 2013 7 rings runner up
2018 Experts Dynasty League Champion
there is no after football
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.
— Leonardo da Vinci

heyfeefellskee
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby heyfeefellskee » Tue Sep 20, 2016 6:53 am

clarion contrarion wrote:such a huge blunder should be corrected immediately . The commish needs to fall on his sword for the sake of the league , admit he screwed up the settings and change ASAP . I would not retroactively change it as someone likely should have caught it prior to games being played . It is just too steep of a penalty to leave uncorrected .
This.

When it changes the output of a finished matchup, it should NOT be retroactive. It should have been caught before the week started. It should be changed, but only from here on out.

FiremanEd
Legend
Legend

Postby FiremanEd » Tue Sep 20, 2016 7:21 am

I wouldn't call 2 points on a rare play a 'huge blunder'. It's not how it was intended, but isn't the end of the world. Sucks a matchup was decided by it, but that's the breaks. A pick-6 is a turnover and score for the opposition. Saying it was -8 and will become -6 next season seems fair to me, unless everyone feels it needs to be changed in season immediately.

As commish you won't win though. You leave it and the one person is pissed. You change it the other is. Changing the rule now and then not being retroactive will be salt in the wounds though. I'd play the season out for consistency then change next year barring a big push by majority participants to do immediately.

Valhalla
Legend
Legend

Postby Valhalla » Tue Sep 20, 2016 7:24 am

FiremanEd wrote:I wouldn't call 2 points on a rare play a 'huge blunder'. It's not how it was intended, but isn't the end of the world. Sucks a matchup was decided by it, but that's the breaks. A pick-6 is a turnover and score for the opposition. Saying it was -8 and will become -6 next season seems fair to me, unless everyone feels it needs to be changed in season immediately.

As commish you won't win though. You leave it and the one person is pissed. You change it the other is. Changing the rule now and then not being retroactive will be salt in the wounds though. I'd play the season out for consistency then change next year barring a big push by majority participants to do immediately.
Agreed with this

Phaded
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Phaded » Tue Sep 20, 2016 7:30 am

I'm a bit confused as to what the issue is to be honest.

A fumble and a fumble returned for a TD are different statistics.
Now if the ultimate goal was to penalize a player -6; then the fumble should be -2 and the TD should be -4.

"Double dipping" is nothing new in fantasy statistics.
If you play IDP - an interception counts as a pass defense and interception. A sack counts as a tackle and a sack. Not to mention defensive TDs are added on top of a fumble recovery, interception, etc.
If you play PPR - a TD reception; you get the reception and the TD.

It's the same type of idea.

Nonetheless; if it outlines that it should only be -6 in the rules, maybe it should be changed. I would suggest not changing into until next season though as this will apply to everybody and I'm assuming the ones who it happened to are the ones upset.

Either way - people are going to be unhappy. Especially if it changes the result of a given matchup.

CrimsonKodiak
Starter
Starter

Postby CrimsonKodiak » Tue Sep 20, 2016 2:51 pm

Phaded wrote:I'm a bit confused as to what the issue is to be honest.

A fumble and a fumble returned for a TD are different statistics.
Now if the ultimate goal was to penalize a player -6; then the fumble should be -2 and the TD should be -4.

"Double dipping" is nothing new in fantasy statistics.
If you play IDP - an interception counts as a pass defense and interception. A sack counts as a tackle and a sack. Not to mention defensive TDs are added on top of a fumble recovery, interception, etc.
If you play PPR - a TD reception; you get the reception and the TD.

It's the same type of idea.

Nonetheless; if it outlines that it should only be -6 in the rules, maybe it should be changed. I would suggest not changing into until next season though as this will apply to everybody and I'm assuming the ones who it happened to are the ones upset.

Either way - people are going to be unhappy. Especially if it changes the result of a given matchup.
Well put. IDP leagues "double dip" all the time as put above.
You can't score 2 isolated independent events as a combined score if they occur on the same play. (i'm not a computer genius, but I don't think the program is designed to be an IF/AND>THEN).

It is all in how the wording of the bylaw is written. if a defensive TD is charged against the offensive player, and TD's are worth 6 points then that player gets charged -6. I get the redundancy because all defensive TD's have to originate by an offensive player losing the ball somehow. (which carries with it a score of -2).

I get the feeling this is Jay Cutlers interception last night. and if so then it should be -8, if for nothing else just virtue of the fact that the owner should be punished for having Cutler on his roster, and even more so for starting him!
DLF Premium league (QB, RB, RB, WR, WR, TE, W/R/T, W/R/T) PPR
QB - Brady, Carr, Hoyer, Lynch
RB - CJA, Miller, Langford, Henry, Vereen, J. Allen, McCluster, Darkwa
WR - Sanders, Woods, Funchess, Jo Brown, Hogan, Ph. Cooper, Heyward-Bey, Wright, Marquess Wilson, Hunter, Goodwin, Fuller
TE - Gronkowski, Ebron, Chandler, Boyle

2017 1,2,3

clarion contrarion
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby clarion contrarion » Tue Sep 20, 2016 3:36 pm

unless I misunderstand he means when a qb throws a pick 6 the qb gets -8
.....this has been a public service announcement from forum superstar clarion contrarion
QB luck- driskell
WR ant brown evans c davis golladay godwin gordon j washington doctson watson lazard patrick henderson
RB mixon cohen chubb aaron jones hunt malcolm brown
TE eifert howard njoku
K tucker DEF pittsburgh chicago
2012 , 2014 2015 2016 2017 & 2018 ACDL Champion 5 IN A ROW 6 in 7 years- now that is dynasty!
2013 ACDL runner up
2013 2014 2017 & 2018 (Undefeated 15-0 ) WORILDS OF HURT CHAMPION
2010 2014 & 2015 7 Rings for Steeltown CHAMPION 2011 & 2013 7 rings runner up
2018 Experts Dynasty League Champion
there is no after football
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.
— Leonardo da Vinci

jdomer2403
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby jdomer2403 » Tue Sep 20, 2016 5:30 pm

clarion contrarion wrote:unless I misunderstand he means when a qb throws a pick 6 the qb gets -8
Correct

Hottoddies
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby Hottoddies » Wed Sep 21, 2016 3:06 am

I think if it was universally understood by all of the owners that a QB who threw a pick six would be punished 6 points in total and not 8, then it would be okay it change the rule retroactively thus changing the outcome of the game because that was the original intent. However if you let the rule stand in this one game it would only be fair that it should apply to all the other games as well.
"Smart people learn from everything and everyone, average people from their experiences, stupid people already have all the answers." - Socrates

bonscott
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby bonscott » Wed Sep 21, 2016 5:14 am

It's really this simple: What do your rules say? If the rules say that it's -2 for the INT and if that INT is returned for a TD then it's -6 instead, then the commish screwed up setting up the scoring rules. So then you need to correct the scoring rule and I would do it retroactively since the rules clearly state it's -6 and not -8. A game outcome changes, so be it, you're getting the settings correct to match what your rules say.

Now if you don't actually have any written rules then it gets a bit more dicey. First, it sounds like even if it's not written down the understanding was it should be -6 and not -8. If so then correct it. Second, don't run a league without written down rules, fix that ASAP after you fix the scoring setting.

FiremanEd
Legend
Legend

Postby FiremanEd » Wed Sep 21, 2016 5:31 am

bonscott wrote:Now if you don't actually have any written rules then it gets a bit more dicey. First, it sounds like even if it's not written down the understanding was it should be -6 and not -8. If so then correct it. Second, don't run a league without written down rules, fix that ASAP after you fix the scoring setting.
Generally speaking I'd assume the scoring details represent themself. Rarely would someone have the scoring outlined then repeat it to outline them again. I could be wrong though.

I do agree that if it was documented and understood it should have been -6 and not -8 then it is an obvious answer, but I'd assume this is being brought up because it wasn't so clearly defined and people felt it too significant (and you acknowledged it wasn't intended to be as much but was 'double counted' in error). In the latter, I'll stick with what I said previously - continue the season as is and change next year. Tough luck for the loser - shouldn't have thrown a pick-6.