No love for Smokin' Jay?

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
Dookmarriot
MVP
MVP

No love for Smokin' Jay?

Postby Dookmarriot » Wed Sep 14, 2016 5:28 am

First off, let me say this - I wouldn't want Cutler to be the starting QB of the team I cheered for. He's entertaining from afar, but having to deal with all that DGAF would drive me nuts. Although he's clearly not the issue with the Bears right now, and he clearly has improved in game management over the past two seasons.

And I certainly wouldn't want him as my QB1 on any of my fantasy teams. But I freakin' ADORE him as my QB2. I own him on every team where I could get him, always to the mockery of my leaguemates. And yet, he's won me plenty of weeks. I plug him in and count the points. He's my QB3 in my SuperFlex league, and I think that's a great advantage. He's an established starting QB with above average job security who is still relatively young on a team that's going to have throw a lot with a decent if not amazing set of weapons to throw to.

BUT...even then, I'll admit that I've been shopping him in two leagues to shore up other areas. So it seems that I'm not immune to not fully valuing him. But the common response from the other side of the trade offers is that they want no part of him. The DLF rankings have him at QB27, behind guys like Cousins, Teddy, Goff, Wentz, Lynch and Taylor, all of whom have spotty to no track record, and I'll bet no one who owns those QBs would take Cutler and his years of solid production in return straight up unless they had a need.

It can't simply be "character" - it's not like he beaten his kid until he bleeds or hit his girlfriend or has been caught stealing, like many other fully rostered fantasy stalwarts. Why don't we think higher of Smokin' Jay?
"I like reading the predictions of the morons on here and cashing in by doing the opposite. Especially Dookmariot." - Lotto4Life

"Because of (the Raiders), there's the no-clothesline rule, the no-hitting-out-of-bounds rule, the no-fumbling-forward-in-the-last-two-minutes rule, the no-throwing-helmets rule and the no-Stickum rule. So you see, we're not all bad." - Ted "The Mad Stork" Hendricks

AZK
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Re: No love for Smokin' Jay?

Postby AZK » Wed Sep 14, 2016 6:08 am

The Torrey Smith of QB's. Own him in only one league, a best ball superflex and he's yet to be plugged into my lineup on his big weeks.
Ainslie-Rachlin Law, "Our decisions... are guided by the perceived values at the moment of the decision - not by the potential final value."

49ersFaithful80
All Pro
All Pro

Postby 49ersFaithful80 » Wed Sep 14, 2016 8:08 am

For some reason people see Jay's version of "resting bitch face" and just assume he has a bad attitude. Meanwhile all of his teammates have said the opposite.

He's a solid QB2, it's a shame he's got one of the most ridiculously conservative head coaches in John Fox or he'd have more upside.

AZK
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby AZK » Wed Sep 14, 2016 9:05 am

I can only imagine how many turnovers he would have with an aggressive coach.
Ainslie-Rachlin Law, "Our decisions... are guided by the perceived values at the moment of the decision - not by the potential final value."

Plank
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Plank » Wed Sep 14, 2016 9:25 am

I swear I've seen him throw an INT on purpose to get off the field (in frustration) in the face of a unyielding pass rush ..

I expected the Bears OL to be that bad again, but the signing of Sitton has really helped, its a band aid patch for this year as Sitton was let go in view of starting to decline, but his presence alone may really make Cutler useful this year ..

I also will never forget the things Dilfer/Young were analyzing about him a few years ago, that how he has tremendous tools to work with and that he "could" be the best QB in the League .. you could tell how frustrated they were with explaining it that he would never reach his potential. My take away from that analysis was that he is a gifted player that doesn't have the work ethic or maybe even the desire to be truly great..
@PlankMelody

maxhyde
GOAT
GOAT

Postby maxhyde » Wed Sep 14, 2016 1:07 pm

Obviously it is only 1 week but hard to see the Bears being able to give him time.
Always liked Cutler more than most in fantasy but given the poor QB play in week 1 its hard to see paying much for any of those backend options. I mean you probably pay more for Cutler than Gabbert at this time but how much better is he really as a fantasy option given the rushing we saw from Gabbert? They both faced pretty solid defenses (or so we think)
I can't get a sniff for Cutler in any leagues. I traded Kaep in August for more than my Cutler offers have been in a 16 team 1QB league.
DLF HOF League 16 team PPR
QB: Brees, Bradford, Lock(3.07)
RB: David Johnson, Penny, Sanders(1.07), Montgomery(1.06), Love(2.07) Bernard, MLynch, Morris, TJLogan, Joe Williams, Shaun Wilson
WR: Jeffery,Cooper, Josh Gordon, Dede Westbrook, Cam Meredith, Brice Butler, Chester Rogers, Lockett, Switzer, Malone, Cain (IR)
TE: Gronk, Swaim, Maxx Williams

CrimsonKodiak
Starter
Starter

Postby CrimsonKodiak » Wed Sep 14, 2016 2:23 pm

As Bears fan who doesn't like drafting QB's early at all; I always end up getting stuck with Cutler, and I'm OK with it.

If fantasy and real life football only counted points for the first half, Cutler would be one of the best QB's in the league. but I've seen it for countless years now, in the second half when things derail, things go VERY VERY bad for Cutler. If he starts the second half with an INT he is probably going to go for another 4 more. There is something about him that cannot pick himself up and comeback from a bad play.

Its frustrating and I cannot wait until the bears move on from Cutler, which looking at how much the bears have invested in him is going to be in 2021. :wall:
DLF Premium league (QB, RB, RB, WR, WR, TE, W/R/T, W/R/T) PPR
QB - Brady, Carr, Hoyer, Lynch
RB - CJA, Miller, Langford, Henry, Vereen, J. Allen, McCluster, Darkwa
WR - Sanders, Woods, Funchess, Jo Brown, Hogan, Ph. Cooper, Heyward-Bey, Wright, Marquess Wilson, Hunter, Goodwin, Fuller
TE - Gronkowski, Ebron, Chandler, Boyle

2017 1,2,3

slaughterrt
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby slaughterrt » Wed Sep 14, 2016 3:01 pm

I acquired him for a good price in my 2QB league after Teddy went down. I have no problem having him as my 2nd starter behind Matt Ryan. Since then, I have acquired Stafford and will likely be starting the Matts, but I love having Cutler as my bye week/injury guy.

It's gold Jerry. Gold.

Factory of Sadness
Starter
Starter

Postby Factory of Sadness » Thu Sep 15, 2016 4:50 am

I think Cutler's a good QB. The Bears O-Line sucks and he really only has Jeffrey to throw to right now. I wouldn't be at all surprised if he was a decent asset by mid-season if White comes on. Whenever I see or hear the guy interviewed I get the impression that he doesn't give a single bleep about the media and if you add that to his natural facial expression and that bullshit about a guy who got killed in college every week and got the snot beat out of him behind the Bears excuse for a line somehow being a coward because he couldn't go in a playoff game, you get the narrative that he's a jerk. He's always struck me as funny and kind of refreshing amongst all the vanilla bullshit the QBs are forced to serve up. Great arm, mobile and accurate. I'd agree that he doesn't cope well when things go badly though.

49ersFaithful80
All Pro
All Pro

Postby 49ersFaithful80 » Fri Sep 16, 2016 3:09 pm

CrimsonKodiak wrote:As Bears fan who doesn't like drafting QB's early at all; I always end up getting stuck with Cutler, and I'm OK with it.

If fantasy and real life football only counted points for the first half, Cutler would be one of the best QB's in the league. but I've seen it for countless years now, in the second half when things derail, things go VERY VERY bad for Cutler. If he starts the second half with an INT he is probably going to go for another 4 more. There is something about him that cannot pick himself up and comeback from a bad play.

Its frustrating and I cannot wait until the bears move on from Cutler, which looking at how much the bears have invested in him is going to be in 2021. :wall:

I would have to disagree with you here, when the games on the line Cutler actually tends to deliver a lot of the time. Believe it or not he's #20 All-time in 4th Quarter come-back victories. There's only a handful of active QB's with more than him. He has 21 4th Quarter come-back victories.

Ironically Tony Romo is #14 All-time haha.

bruiser
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby bruiser » Fri Sep 16, 2016 5:16 pm

49erfaithful, thanks for this nugget. It illustrates a parallel that few see between undervalued QBs. Cutler has so many variables lined up in his favor, that I am buying everywhere this year. Get him for free while you can.
Just a guy who loves fantasy football - specifically defense.

Jason
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Jason » Mon Sep 19, 2016 2:58 am

I feel like Cutler is the modern day Drew Bledsoe. Rocket arm and so much potential but he just doesn't love the game enough. Chicago needs to start looking for their Tom Brady.

Valhalla
Legend
Legend

Postby Valhalla » Mon Sep 19, 2016 6:13 am

Jason wrote:Chicago needs to start looking for their Tom Brady.
Oh, cool! Are those guys common now? Four time Super Bowl champ, every year playoff qbs floating around out there? I'd like one for the Vikings, too. I'd also like the Vikes to draft another Moss and a Deion next draft, too.

I think cutler is good enough to win playoff games with. I am glad the Bears can't seem to get a team around him. Easier for the Vikings when it's lately just the packers to contend with.

Jason
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Jason » Mon Sep 19, 2016 8:45 am

Valhalla wrote:
Jason wrote:Chicago needs to start looking for their Tom Brady.
Oh, cool! Are those guys common now? Four time Super Bowl champ, every year playoff qbs floating around out there? I'd like one for the Vikings, too. I'd also like the Vikes to draft another Moss and a Deion next draft, too.

I think cutler is good enough to win playoff games with. I am glad the Bears can't seem to get a team around him. Easier for the Vikings when it's lately just the packers to contend with.
I was comparing him to Drew Bledsoe, which was why I said Tom Brady. The jist of the statement was they need to find their new franchise QB. Geez.

TommyL31
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby TommyL31 » Mon Sep 19, 2016 10:36 am

I think him getting benched for Jimmy Clausen was a shot across the bow for his value because people saw his job as potentially at risk. I had to look back to realize how brief a time that lasted but still it's out there.
"whiners kill more leagues than incompetent trades" - clarion contrarion

DFFL - Flea Flickers, 12 team PPR dynasty
Legends of the Gridiron - Boss Hawgs, 12 team PPR Superflex Salary Cap league
USFL - Memphis Showboats, 12 team PPR Superflex Tiered Salary Cap League