League is trying to screw me

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
Confined1
Role Player
Role Player

League is trying to screw me

Postby Confined1 » Fri Aug 12, 2016 12:37 pm

We've been a full on Dynasty league where you keep the same players every year + rookie draft for over a decade now. Out of the blue, since most teams in my league suck due to mismanagement, want to make it where you have to drop your entire team besides 5 players. I feel like this is bullshit, since I've been building this time for the future for quite some time. Any idea what I should do/Is this bullshit or not?
10 Team PPR Dynasty League

"Run CMC"

QB: Kirk Cousins

RB: Christian McCaffrey

RB: David Montgomery

WR: Keenan Allen

WR: Mike Evans

TE: Travis Kelce

Flex: Stefon Diggs

K: Harrison Butker

D: Vikings

Bench: Mitchell Trubisky, Phillip Lindsay, Devin Singletary, Derrius Guice, Justice Hill, Calvin Ridley, Terry McLaurin, AJ Brown, Dallas Goedert

skip
GOAT
GOAT

Re: League is trying to screw me

Postby skip » Fri Aug 12, 2016 12:40 pm

I have no interest in playing in keeper leagues so I'd just quit.
If you can't leave at least a 20% tip, you can't afford to eat out.

Confined1
Role Player
Role Player

Postby Confined1 » Fri Aug 12, 2016 12:41 pm

skip wrote:I have no interest in playing in keeper leagues so I'd just quit.
Yeah I really don't either, every single team becomes similar in power level and there's really no point in my eyes.

"Run CMC"

Bench: Mitchell Trubisky, Phillip Lindsay, Devin Singletary, Derrius Guice, Justice Hill, Calvin Ridley, Terry McLaurin, AJ Brown, Dallas Goedert

evorzan
All Pro
All Pro

Postby evorzan » Fri Aug 12, 2016 12:41 pm

If that's what they want to do, it probably isn't the right league for you anymore.

Maybe you could talk them into an empire league kind of setup whereby if one team wins 2 years in a row they get a bonus pot that you set aside money into each year and then blow the whole thing up / start over.
Follow me @evorzan on Twitter
Formerly posting as Steveeb

kmbryant09
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby kmbryant09 » Fri Aug 12, 2016 12:49 pm

I would either:

1. Suggest that if they really want to transition the league from Dynasty to Keeper, it should be done over time - a transition plan where you keep something like 12 players this year, 8 players next year, and 5 players beyond that.

2. If that doesn't work, Quit.
10-team/.5 PPR/5 Pts per Passing TD. Start 1QB, 2RB, 3WR, 1TE, 2FLEX (rb/wr/te)
QB: J. Hurts, K. Murray
RB: Bi. Robinson, D. Henry, D. Achane, , J. Cook, Z. Charbonnet, T. Chandler, R. Johnson, K. Mitchell, J.K. Dobbins, T. Allgeier, J. McLaughlin, S. Tucker, T. Bigsby
WR: G. Wilson, B. Aiyuk, J. Waddle, T. Higgins,, Z. Flowers, Di. Johnson, K. Toney, A. Iosivas
TE: K. Pitts, E. Engram, C. Okonkwo, G. Dulcich

GridironGuerilla
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby GridironGuerilla » Fri Aug 12, 2016 12:52 pm

It is absolute crap. But this is how and why leagues dissolve. I'd look for another league to join.
"If on 4th down, the quarterback doesn't complete his pass, they will turn over the ball."

-Booger McFarlland

Confined1
Role Player
Role Player

Postby Confined1 » Fri Aug 12, 2016 12:57 pm

I mean I play with people that don't value the receiver position...I'll post a roster in my league to give you guys an idea of what I'm working against.

Aaron Rodgers
Marcus Mariota
Nick Foles

CJ Anderson
Marshawn Lynch
Spencer Ware
Chris Johnson
Ameer Abdullah
Taiwan Jones
Denard Robinson

TY Hilton
Brandon Marshall
Eric Decker
Michael Crabtree
Davante Adams
Terrance Williams

Jordan Cameron
Vernon Davis

"Run CMC"

Titus Young's Lawyer
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby Titus Young's Lawyer » Fri Aug 12, 2016 1:18 pm

I've made everyone give up in a couple baseball dynasty leagues where I won the title a couple years in a row with a young and elite team. Those were friends league though and it comes with the territory. Sounds like you are too good for your competition and you need move on to tougher opponents. Unless you want to play in the keeper league I would just graciously bow out on top.

ascherb
Starter
Starter

Postby ascherb » Fri Aug 12, 2016 1:35 pm

Keeper leagues blow. Especially the ones where your keeps simply count as your first few picks in the draft without any sort of value attached to them. I'd just leave.
Please give us a visit for awesome FF content:

extrapointff.com

Reljac
Captain
Captain

Postby Reljac » Fri Aug 12, 2016 2:10 pm

If the league members are all looking to move to a 5 team keeper I'd just quit. 5-team keeper leagues suck and make most rookie's worthless. In the end you'd probably still dominate them, but there's no challenge to rostering the top 60 or so players. To me the challenge is in figuring out the next big thing.
12-team Non-PPR QB, 2-RB, 3-WR, TE, K, DEF
QB: Herbert, Tanny
RB: Chubb, Stevenson, AJ Dillion
WR: AJ Brown, M Evans, M Williams, D London, C Olave, Jameson Williams, M Thomas
TE: D Njoku
K: Butker

2023: 1.01, 2.01
2024 early first, late first

Confined1
Role Player
Role Player

Postby Confined1 » Fri Aug 12, 2016 2:11 pm

Thank you guys for confirming some thoughts I had, I appreciate it :)

"Run CMC"

WashingtonFever
Role Player
Role Player

Postby WashingtonFever » Fri Aug 12, 2016 3:10 pm

Honestly, if these are your friends, then suck it up. FF is for additional fun, not to bury friendships and get all up in arms about.

If the "Majority" in any one of my leagues wanted to change it up because of parity or any other reason, if it makes the league happy, then I'm happy, and my friends and I are all happy and we can still discuss FF on an annual basis. Happy league = Fun for all, not one, all.

Obviously if you don't want to join them in this new adventure, then bow out, but if you value the friendships I'd suggest you may want to suck up your pride and join them.

There are also other options, one would be to create rules to increase parity by punishing teams that win the following year other than drafting last. We do this in many baseball leagues for example by instead of it being 100% dynasty, the teams that win, only get to keep 80% of their roster, and that percentage goes up the worst you were to 100% for the losing teams, if they choose to hang onto everyone.
Last edited by WashingtonFever on Fri Aug 12, 2016 3:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Valhalla
Legend
Legend

Postby Valhalla » Fri Aug 12, 2016 3:10 pm

Confined1 wrote:Thank you guys for confirming some thoughts I had, I appreciate it :)
Yeah it's bull. It would piss me off too.

Side note, the team roster you posted, those wrs aren't horrible. They are underrated wrs. Workable strategy IMO. Decker and Marshall have both been top 12 guys the last few years I think. If I remember right the other one was Hilton? Not bad. Not sure why you are picking on that team's wrs. Not sexy at all but good

Jason3123
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Jason3123 » Fri Aug 12, 2016 4:51 pm

Get new friends.

Shoreline Steamers
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby Shoreline Steamers » Fri Aug 12, 2016 5:36 pm

WashingtonFever wrote:Honestly, if these are your friends, then suck it up. FF is for additional fun, not to bury friendships and get all up in arms about.

If the "Majority" in any one of my leagues wanted to change it up because of parity or any other reason, if it makes the league happy, then I'm happy, and my friends and I are all happy and we can still discuss FF on an annual basis. Happy league = Fun for all, not one, all.

Obviously if you don't want to join them in this new adventure, then bow out, but if you value the friendships I'd suggest you may want to suck up your pride and join them.

There are also other options, one would be to create rules to increase parity by punishing teams that win the following year other than drafting last. We do this in many baseball leagues for example by instead of it being 100% dynasty, the teams that win, only get to keep 80% of their roster, and that percentage goes up the worst you were to 100% for the losing teams, if they choose to hang onto everyone.
While I get the point about not letting friendships sour over fantasy football, part of the appeal of dynasty is the ability to build and retain your players. It makes the exercise a little more like the NFL with regard to roster management versus a small number keeper league or a redraft format. I happen to have a team in all three formats to shake things up and some are friend leagues. I don't really know anyone personally in my dynasty league aside from e-mail and an occasional phone call. Still, my dynasty team is by far my favorite, and the one I want to perform well year after year.

If this happened to me (it wouldn't since any rule changes that are approved don't take effect until the following year) I'd either look to adjust my roster for maximum benefit assuming I wanted to stay, or announce my intentions to leave the league over the decision. That's a crumby situation to find yourself in regardless.
14 Team, No-PPR, 20 Man Roster, TD Heavy, TD = 6, FG = 3, Start: QB, 2RB, 2WR, TE, Flex, K, D
QB: L. Jackson, B. Purdy, T. Lance
RB: J. Mixon, N. Chubb, A. Dillon, J. Cook, K. Mitchell, J. McLaughlin, Z. Evans
WR: J. Chase, C. Godwin, D. Johnson, J. Reed, C. Tillman
TE: TJ Hockenson, D. Njoku, B. Jordan

14 Team, .5 PPR, 18 Man Roster, Rush/Rec TD = 6, Pass TD = 4, FG = 3, Start: QB, 2RB, 2WR, TE, Flex, K, D
QB: L. Jackson, T. Tagovailoa
RB: B. Robinson, K. Walker, R. Stevenson, K. Herbertl
WR: C. Olave, T. Higgins, B. Aiyuk, N. Collins, Z. Flowers, M. Mims
TE: K. Pitts, D. Njoku