Sammie Coates

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
HereForTheComments
Captain
Captain

Sammie Coates

Postby HereForTheComments » Mon Aug 01, 2016 6:01 am

I haven't really seen much from these forums on this guy. I mean, I see his name thrown around in other threads, but I am curious what everyone's feelings are on him. He seems like a Martavis Bryant clone, so you would believe he should be able to just step in and fill Bryant's position. I am also hearing really good things out of camp on him.

I really never paid much attention to him, last year, so I am curious what his red flags are and why he appears to be JAG in these forums.
Team 1: 10th Year: 10 Team, PPR
2014: 3rd, 2015: 2nd, 2016: League Champion, 2017: 7th, 2018: 3rd, 2019: 5th, 2020: League Champion, 2021: 4th, 2022: 5th

QB: Aaron Rodgers Matthew Stafford, Brock Purdy
RB: Tony Pollard, Cam Akers, Ezekiel Elliott, Javonte Williams, Kyren Williams, Chuba Hubbard
WR: CeeDee Lamb, Amon-Ra St. Brown, Allen Lazard , Michael Gallup, Donavan Peoples-Jones, Tyler Boyd, Romeo Doubs, Corey Davis, Marvin Jones, VDS
TE: Dalton Shultz, Mike Gesicki

2019 picks: 1.1, 2.3, 3.5
2024 picks:
Round 1: (1)
Round 2: (1)
Round 3: (1)

joeday
GOAT
GOAT

Re: Sammie Coates

Postby joeday » Mon Aug 01, 2016 6:26 am

I think since he didnt do anything until the Broncos game last year he is kind of forgotten. That said, the Steelers have an amazing track record of finding great WR talent late in the draft so when they take someone I always pay attention.
BERLIN BOMBERS (0 – 0)
1996 | 2005 | 2012 | 2013 | 2014 | 2017 – πŸ†
1999 | 2000 | 2019 | 2020 – πŸ₯ˆ

14 team | 4 keepers | non ppr | est. 1996
QB –
RB – Christian McCaffrey | Josh Jacobs
WR – AJ Brown | CeeDee Lamb
TE –

ROCKY MOUNTAIN MASTODONS (0 – 0)
2011 | 2013 | 2015 | 2016 | 2017 | 2018 | 2020 – πŸ†
2008 | 2012 | 2014 | 2019 – πŸ₯ˆ

12 team | 10 keepers | non ppr | est. 2001
QB – Joe Burrow
RB – Tony Pollard | Kenneth Walker III | Rhamondre Stevenson
WR – Justin Jefferson | Stefon Diggs | DK Metcalf | Tee Higgins | Jameson Williams
TE – Trey McBride

Overall 2024 Regular Season Record: 0 – 0

kmbryant09
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby kmbryant09 » Mon Aug 01, 2016 6:50 am

He's a guy that's very high on my Sleeper list heading into 2016.

I think people forget that during college he was generally regarded as an elite prospect. He's an elite athlete (89th percentile in height-adjusted speed score and 97th percentile in burst score) that fell a bit in the draft because of a disappointing last season at Auburn. The 2 best NFL comparisons that I've seen are Torrey Smith and Martavis Bryant. I won't go as far as to say that he should be able to replicate Bryant's success, but he at least profiles for the part.

As for last season, Sammie & the Pittsburgh staff will tell you that he wasn't 100% focused and wasn't in great shape. It's also no surprise that a 3rd round rookie couldn't crack the starting lineup with A. Brown / M. Bryant / M. Wheaton in town. While he flashed in the playoffs, what has me really excited is the glowing reports out of camp. I know, I know, take them all with a grain of salt. But by all accounts, Coates has re-committed himself, is in tremendous shape, and seems to be making a lot of plays. I see no reason why he can't be the #3 target in Pittsburgh and even unseat M. Wheaton for the #2 role (Wheaton is in a contract year, I'm guessing he's not in Pittsburgh's long-term plans).

Last year, Bryant's 16-game pace was 73 / 1100 / 9 - and 2 of his 11 games were with Landry Jones @ QB. If Coates pans out, I could easily see him exploding for 65 / 900 / 7 - which would be a fringe WR 2 / 3.
10-team/.5 PPR/5 Pts per Passing TD. Start 1QB, 2RB, 3WR, 1TE, 2FLEX (rb/wr/te)
QB: J. Hurts, K. Murray
RB: Bi. Robinson, D. Henry, D. Achane, , J. Cook, Z. Charbonnet, T. Chandler, R. Johnson, K. Mitchell, J.K. Dobbins, T. Allgeier, J. McLaughlin, S. Tucker, T. Bigsby
WR: G. Wilson, B. Aiyuk, J. Waddle, T. Higgins,, Z. Flowers, Di. Johnson, K. Toney, A. Iosivas
TE: K. Pitts, E. Engram, C. Okonkwo, G. Dulcich

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Cameron Giles » Mon Aug 01, 2016 7:12 am

I have a hard time getting behind Coates. He's a really good athlete and has great speed, but he has so many mental lapses on the field. Maybe he's fixed that.

Friction
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Friction » Mon Aug 01, 2016 9:19 am

He may not be hyped on these forums, but he sure is in all my leagues. He went pretty high in every rookie/FA draft of mine, and those were a month ago. Not saying that is a horrible pick in this year's class. I think he will be ok, but Wheaton also had hype last year, for the Bryant suspension portion at least, and he flopped. We got AB, Bell and/or Williams, And Green all ahead of him possibly. I like the Pitt offense a lot, but when both backs are healthy and on the field, he could be fifth or fourth at best in the pecking order.
Valhalla's Father
12 Team 1PPR 1QB/1-3RB/1-3 WR/1TE/1DST
QB:Brady
RB: Barkley, Chubb, Jacobs, Henry, Mack, Etienne
WR: Nuk, Thielen, Cooks, Diontae, Pittman, Gallup
TE: Henry

steelman
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby steelman » Mon Aug 01, 2016 9:49 am

I drafted Coates a year ago and have been sitting on him since.

evorzan
All Pro
All Pro

Postby evorzan » Mon Aug 01, 2016 10:09 am

My problem with Coates is that he's fairly raw and he's getting an opportunity now, in my estimation before he is polished enough to really capitalize. I'm buying the forgotten, nearly free DHB at much lower prices to get a horse in the Pitt WR race.
Follow me @evorzan on Twitter
Formerly posting as Steveeb

HereForTheComments
Captain
Captain

Postby HereForTheComments » Mon Aug 01, 2016 10:18 am

Ok, so from reading what most of you have been saying so far, his red flags are all above the shoulders.

I have been debating on snagging him in my rookie/free agent draft with my 2.8 pick.... it seems he could drop that far with everyone focused on the shiny new toys and the lack of attention everyone is giving him. I'm trying to decide on Coates, Sanu, Janis, Hunter Henry, or one of those rookie rbs that should be available (ie Washington, Perkins, Smallwood).
2014: 3rd, 2015: 2nd, 2016: League Champion, 2017: 7th, 2018: 3rd, 2019: 5th, 2020: League Champion, 2021: 4th, 2022: 5th

RB: Tony Pollard, Cam Akers, Ezekiel Elliott, Javonte Williams, Kyren Williams, Chuba Hubbard
WR: CeeDee Lamb, Amon-Ra St. Brown, Allen Lazard , Michael Gallup, Donavan Peoples-Jones, Tyler Boyd, Romeo Doubs, Corey Davis, Marvin Jones, VDS

2024 picks:

Friction
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Friction » Mon Aug 01, 2016 12:17 pm

He didn't fall to 2.8 in any of my drafts. Went as high as 1.10 I believe and the lowest was mid second. Just a heads up.
Valhalla's Father
12 Team 1PPR 1QB/1-3RB/1-3 WR/1TE/1DST
QB:Brady
RB: Barkley, Chubb, Jacobs, Henry, Mack, Etienne
WR: Nuk, Thielen, Cooks, Diontae, Pittman, Gallup
TE: Henry

HereForTheComments
Captain
Captain

Postby HereForTheComments » Mon Aug 01, 2016 12:18 pm

Friction wrote:He didn't fall to 2.8 in any of my drafts. Went as high as 1.10 I believe and the lowest was mid second. Just a heads up.
Interesting.... thank you

2024 picks:

kmbryant09
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby kmbryant09 » Wed Aug 03, 2016 5:56 pm

A couple more blurbs on Coates over the past few days, and all of them have been raving about him.

I'm surprised more people aren't talking about him, seeing as he may wind up with the inside track on being the #2 option in Pittsburgh while filling in for M. Bryant - we know how opprtunistic and productive that spot can be...
10-team/.5 PPR/5 Pts per Passing TD. Start 1QB, 2RB, 3WR, 1TE, 2FLEX (rb/wr/te)
QB: J. Hurts, K. Murray
RB: Bi. Robinson, D. Henry, D. Achane, , J. Cook, Z. Charbonnet, T. Chandler, R. Johnson, K. Mitchell, J.K. Dobbins, T. Allgeier, J. McLaughlin, S. Tucker, T. Bigsby
WR: G. Wilson, B. Aiyuk, J. Waddle, T. Higgins,, Z. Flowers, Di. Johnson, K. Toney, A. Iosivas
TE: K. Pitts, E. Engram, C. Okonkwo, G. Dulcich

HawkeyeState
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby HawkeyeState » Wed Aug 03, 2016 7:48 pm

I like him a ton. Even if you don't think he's that great, he's better than Wheaton or any other WR not named AB that can play in 2016.
He continuously has been the WR2 in 2 WR sets with Wheaton almost exclusively in the slot.
He's also been very explosive and making plays per all their beat writers.

I was all over this guy this offseason but I wish I had more shares. He has a Martavis level ceiling with their pass volume this year
Team 1
10 TM .5 PPR, 6 pt all TDs 1/2/3/1/2Flex
Newton, Rivers
LF, Chubb, Michel, Kerryon, Hyde, AJones, Royce F, Crowell
Adams, Cooper, Alshon, Watkins, ARob, Fuller, Doctson, Funchess, Gallup, Pettis, Valdez-Scant
Gronk, HHenry, Engram
1.09, 2.09, 3.09, 4.09, 5.09

Team 2
10 TM 1/2/3/1/1Flex 6pt all TDs .25 PPR RB, .5 PPR WR, 1 PPR TE
Wilson, Big Ben
Bell, JConner, MMack, Shady, CThompson, D'Onta Foreman, C Edmonds, B Scarborough
Julio, Nuk, Fuller, Cooks, ARob, Watkins, Cooper, SShepard, CDavis, DJ Chark
Kelce, Olsen, Andrews

Team 3
10 team, 0.5 PPR RBs WRs, 1 PPR TEs, Devy Superflex League
Carr, Goff, Falk
Barkley, Dalvin, Mixon, Michel, Ballage, MDavis, Dixon, Akers*
Hopkins, JuJu, Watkins, Fuller, Agholor, Moncrief, EQSB, Valdez-Scant, CRogers
Eifert, Ebron, JJames, JCook
1.02, 2.02, 2.06, 3.04

Played against David Johnson in HS, he was a stud back then too

Tsunami
All Pro
All Pro

Postby Tsunami » Wed Aug 03, 2016 9:07 pm

I think between Coates and Wheaton there is huge 2016 potential. The question is which one, and will they be able to beat out Martavis Bryant if he makes a return. That's too many questions for me to invest heavily if I could get Torrey Smith or Tavon Austin instead. But there is the potential for a huge increase in value, though I see the production shared between those two.

HawkeyeState
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby HawkeyeState » Thu Aug 04, 2016 8:08 pm

Tsunami wrote:I think between Coates and Wheaton there is huge 2016 potential. The question is which one, and will they be able to beat out Martavis Bryant if he makes a return. That's too many questions for me to invest heavily if I could get Torrey Smith or Tavon Austin instead. But there is the potential for a huge increase in value, though I see the production shared between those two.
Granted it's early, but Coates has consistently been the #2 in front of Wheaton, and it adds up when you think about it. Wheaton is a smaller quicker slot receiver type and Coates is that bigger faster stronger all around WR.
Also, are we sure Martavis can stay clean? Are we sure he can come back in 2017 and be the #2 no matter what? What if Coates (or Wheaton) completely balls out in 2016? Big Ben has said recently he's very disappointed in Martavis, and a guy like Ben, his trust and how he feels about his guys is very important.
Torrey Smith? The guy that has been a underperformer his whole career? Tavon Austin, the guy who is nothing more than a gadget player and if he isn't getting plays specifically made for him he's a non-factor?
I don't know man, when I can grab Coates for an early 2nd type value and if he blows up (like I believe he can/will) and I can flip that to a mid-1st value post 2016, I'll take that bet.

Maybe what's best though is I paid far less than an early 2nd for my coates shares
Team 1
10 TM .5 PPR, 6 pt all TDs 1/2/3/1/2Flex
Newton, Rivers
LF, Chubb, Michel, Kerryon, Hyde, AJones, Royce F, Crowell
Adams, Cooper, Alshon, Watkins, ARob, Fuller, Doctson, Funchess, Gallup, Pettis, Valdez-Scant
Gronk, HHenry, Engram

Team 2
10 TM 1/2/3/1/1Flex 6pt all TDs .25 PPR RB, .5 PPR WR, 1 PPR TE
Wilson, Big Ben
Bell, JConner, MMack, Shady, CThompson, D'Onta Foreman, C Edmonds, B Scarborough
Julio, Nuk, Fuller, Cooks, ARob, Watkins, Cooper, SShepard, CDavis, DJ Chark
Kelce, Olsen, Andrews

Team 3
10 team, 0.5 PPR RBs WRs, 1 PPR TEs, Devy Superflex League
Carr, Goff, Falk
Barkley, Dalvin, Mixon, Michel, Ballage, MDavis, Dixon, Akers*
Hopkins, JuJu, Watkins, Fuller, Agholor, Moncrief, EQSB, Valdez-Scant, CRogers
Eifert, Ebron, JJames, JCook
1.02, 2.02, 2.06, 3.04

Played against David Johnson in HS, he was a stud back then too

Defender
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Defender » Sat Aug 06, 2016 1:18 pm

HawkeyeState wrote:
Tsunami wrote:I think between Coates and Wheaton there is huge 2016 potential. The question is which one, and will they be able to beat out Martavis Bryant if he makes a return. That's too many questions for me to invest heavily if I could get Torrey Smith or Tavon Austin instead. But there is the potential for a huge increase in value, though I see the production shared between those two.
Granted it's early, but Coates has consistently been the #2 in front of Wheaton, and it adds up when you think about it. Wheaton is a smaller quicker slot receiver type and Coates is that bigger faster stronger all around WR.
Also, are we sure Martavis can stay clean? Are we sure he can come back in 2017 and be the #2 no matter what? What if Coates (or Wheaton) completely balls out in 2016? Big Ben has said recently he's very disappointed in Martavis, and a guy like Ben, his trust and how he feels about his guys is very important.
Torrey Smith? The guy that has been a underperformer his whole career? Tavon Austin, the guy who is nothing more than a gadget player and if he isn't getting plays specifically made for him he's a non-factor?
I don't know man, when I can grab Coates for an early 2nd type value and if he blows up (like I believe he can/will) and I can flip that to a mid-1st value post 2016, I'll take that bet.

Maybe what's best though is I paid far less than an early 2nd for my coates shares
The thing about Wheaton is this: 2015 is his contract year.

If he has a break-out year, he will price himself out of a new PIT contract. In this scenario, Pittsburgh's 2017 WR depth chart would be AB, (maybe Martavis, and that's a big maybe), Coates, DHB, rookie/practice squad guy, etc.

If Wheaton has an okay or 'sub-par' year, the Steelers will likely try to resign him. But if he does have a year like that, that means there should be plenty of opportunity for Coates to display his skills. In this scenario, the Steeler 2017 WR depth chart would likely be AB, (maybe Martavis), Coates, Wheaton, DHB, etc. If Martavis comes back, I would expect one of the following personnel groups for 3-WR sets:
1. AB & Martavis on the outside, Wheaton in slot.
2. Martavis & Coates on the outside, AB in slot.
If Martavis doesn't return, Coates will remain on the field in 3-WR sets, and likely 2-WR sets as well.

The way I see it, if you believe in Coates and his skill/talent, then there is only a 20% chance (given the scenarios above) that Coates gets relegated to a back role in 2017. I am 100% onboard the Coates hype train.
The standard is the standard.