Banned, suspended or free agent players.

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
larrywr400
Combine Attendee
Combine Attendee

Banned, suspended or free agent players.

Postby larrywr400 » Wed Jul 06, 2016 4:11 pm

How does your league handle Banned,suspended, imprisoned or questionably retired players who are under multi year contracts? Do you allow team owner to drop player without penalty? Examples. Lynch before it was official. Aaron Hernandez. Joseph Randle (What is his staus anyway???).

Thanks in advance. Larry

Chocolate Droppa
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Re: Banned, suspended or free agent players.

Postby Chocolate Droppa » Wed Jul 06, 2016 5:03 pm

Each league is going to be different but I had Josh Gordon on IR for two seasons. Also had Hernandez on ice until it was clear his dream team wasn't as good as OJs. I abuse IR in my league because we can and its one of the reasons I like my league. We don't have to suffer through the dumb things players do.

Tsunami
All Pro
All Pro

Postby Tsunami » Wed Jul 06, 2016 5:13 pm

I joined a new contract start-up this year with a rule that gives a refund if a player "dies or retires". I asked for clarification and was told that if they go to prison or quit without officially retiring you're just out of luck. Personally I think that is rather harsh, as there's no way to control for a prison term or career-ending injury, and the NFL team certainly isn't paying those players. It seems to me if you make these dead cap rules too strict you might as well just be in a redraft league, as it discourages long contracts.

Personally I think it would be fair to give a full refund for death, official retirement, or multi-year prison sentence, and I would favor a discount for IR or lengthy suspension. For career-threatening injuries (a la David Wilson) or an unmotivated Joseph Randle/Johnny Manziel situation I'm not sure how you could judge them fairly without the benefit of hindsight so it would be difficult to make a fair rule, but I would favor a discount for them as well. I don't like rules that discourage risk-taking.

captain howdy
All Pro
All Pro

Postby captain howdy » Wed Jul 06, 2016 5:16 pm

Tsunami wrote:I joined a new contract start-up this year with a rule that gives a refund if a player "dies or retires". I asked for clarification and was told that if they go to prison or quit without officially retiring you're just out of luck. Personally I think that is rather harsh, as there's no way to control for a prison term or career-ending injury, and the NFL team certainly isn't paying those players. It seems to me if you make these dead cap rules too strict you might as well just be in a redraft league, as it discourages long contracts.

Personally I think it would be fair to give a full refund for death, official retirement, or multi-year prison sentence, and I would favor a discount for IR or lengthy suspension. For career-threatening injuries (a la David Wilson) or an unmotivated Joseph Randle/Johnny Manziel situation I'm not sure how you could judge them fairly without the benefit of hindsight so it would be difficult to make a fair rule, but I would favor a discount for them as well. I don't like rules that discourage risk-taking.
But for the Randle and Manziel types...isn't there smoke on those guys before the fire...and is not the risk built into their price.

if it isnt, shouldn't it be?

skip
GOAT
GOAT

Postby skip » Wed Jul 06, 2016 5:20 pm

I don't participate in any contact leagues but if I did, I would expect one of two things:
a). You are stuck with the player until contract completion or
b). There is an established penalty for any contract already in place so the circumstances don't matter.

As for the use of IR all of my leagues use the same rule. Only players on the NFL IR are eligible.

When an owner signs a player to a contract, they need to take everything into account and bear the burden of something unexpected happens.
If you can't leave at least a 20% tip, you can't afford to eat out.

moishetreats
Legend
Legend

Postby moishetreats » Wed Jul 06, 2016 8:19 pm

I commish a contract league. For me, it's easy and obvious: you sign a guy to a contract, and the contract is binding, no exceptions.

Even with that, I have added a provision to the rules to alleviate some contract issues: Each off-season, an owner may drop up to one player from his roster for half of what it would normally cost as a dead cap hit. That allows for an "out" for a banned, suspended, or unsigned player while still maintaining the integrity of the contract system. Finally, it's simple and neat -- no need to debate about retirements, suspensions, etc.
10 tms 27 plrs PPR
Start: 2QB 2RB 3WR 2TE 2Flex / best ball

QB: Herbert, Love, Rodgers, G Smith, Stidham, T Taylor, Hall
RB: McCaffrey, Mixon, Pacheco, Montgomery, Z White, Allgeier, Dillon
WR: Hill, St. Brown, Kupp, Allen, Lockett, B Johnson
TE: Kelce, Kmet, Kraft, Okonkwo, Dulcich, Tremble

2024: 2.09, 3.07, 3.08, 3.10, 4.08
2025: 2nd (x2), 4th, 5th (x2)
2026: 1st, 2nd (x2), 3rd, 4th, 5th

12 tms 22 active plyrs. Salary Cap $300 PPR
Start: 1QB 2RB 3WR 1TE 1SF 1Flex / best ball

QB: Lawrence (contract through 2026), Love ('24), Rodgers ('24), Stidham ('25), Lock ('25)
RB: Bijan Robinson ('25), Pollard ('27), Dillon ('24), Rodriguez ('24), Spiller ('24)
WR: G Wilson ('26), AJ Brown ('26), DJ Montgomery ('25)
TE: --
2024 Cap Spent: $186

IR: --
TAXI SQUAD (4 max): --

TommyL31
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby TommyL31 » Thu Jul 07, 2016 4:28 am

Injured go on the IR which comes with salary cap relief, retired players are free drops once it's official or everyone in the league acknowledges he's retired. Suspended, you're out of luck. Hold him if you like him or cut him and let someone else take the risk.
"whiners kill more leagues than incompetent trades" - clarion contrarion

DFFL - Flea Flickers, 12 team PPR dynasty
Legends of the Gridiron - Boss Hawgs, 12 team PPR Superflex Salary Cap league
USFL - Memphis Showboats, 12 team PPR Superflex Tiered Salary Cap League

bonscott
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby bonscott » Thu Jul 07, 2016 6:08 am

Any contract league I'm in if a player officially retires you can apply to have the rest of their contract nullified with only the current year cap hit applying if you drop them. Otherwise you just need to suck it up if a guy goes to prison or just quits. I wouldn't want to play any other way.

Death_From_Above
Role Player
Role Player

Postby Death_From_Above » Thu Jul 07, 2016 6:25 am

One of my contract leagues just voted in a Suspended list and PUP list to be used this season and going forward. They operate just as an IR list would, place a player that meets the criteria on them and then they must come off when they no longer meet that criteria.

So contract and roster space relief is given but it costs a price to place them on these lists.

maxhyde
GOAT
GOAT

Postby maxhyde » Thu Jul 07, 2016 9:28 am

TommyL31 wrote:Injured go on the IR which comes with salary cap relief, retired players are free drops once it's official or everyone in the league acknowledges he's retired. Suspended, you're out of luck. Hold him if you like him or cut him and let someone else take the risk.
This is how all my cap/contract leagues handle it...no freebies except for retirement.
Lynch has yet to officially retire if I am correct? He would not be a free drop in my league until he officially retires through the NFL but Calvin would be as it is assumed he has filed the paperwork
DLF HOF League 16 team PPR
QB: Brees, Bradford, Lock(3.07)
RB: David Johnson, Penny, Sanders(1.07), Montgomery(1.06), Love(2.07) Bernard, MLynch, Morris, TJLogan, Joe Williams, Shaun Wilson
WR: Jeffery,Cooper, Josh Gordon, Dede Westbrook, Cam Meredith, Brice Butler, Chester Rogers, Lockett, Switzer, Malone, Cain (IR)
TE: Gronk, Swaim, Maxx Williams