Excel question?

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
terryb24
Role Player
Role Player

Excel question?

Postby terryb24 » Sun Jun 12, 2016 3:20 pm

Hey guys,

I know excel is pretty popular in the dynasty community and i was wondering if any of you guys have used excel to track trades in your leagues. Im the commish of my family league and we have 14 teams. Trading happens pretty frequently and i want to keep track to make sure there aren't any mistakes in the future. What i want to do is to be able to sort trades by teams that made them but i had two different columns for teams. Might be a dumb question but can you "connect" two columns to sort together? One last thing, if you use excel to track trades could you send your document to me so i can see how others have done it?

Thank you!
14 team league: TD ONLY: TD- 7 points, FGs- 3 Points and XP- 1 Point
QB- Carson Wentz, Ryan Tannehill, Jay Cutler, Brock Osweiler, Teddy Bridgewater
RB- Tevin Coleman, Spencer Ware, Jonathan Stewart, Matt Forte
WR- Brandin Cooks, Jarvis Landry, Jordan Matthews, Sterling Shepard, John Brown, Mike Wallace
TE- Coby Fleener
K- Dustin Hopkins, Matt Prater
2017- 3rd overall, 4th overall, 8th overall, 9th overall, 10th overall, 12th overall, 13th overall, 17th overall, 21st overall, 25th overall, and 31st overall.
2018- 3 firsts, 3 seconds, 1 third.
2019- 2 firsts.

skip
GOAT
GOAT

Re: Excel question?

Postby skip » Sun Jun 12, 2016 3:27 pm

May I ask why you need to do this at all? What site didn't support this already?
If you can't leave at least a 20% tip, you can't afford to eat out.

terryb24
Role Player
Role Player

Postby terryb24 » Sun Jun 12, 2016 3:52 pm

skip wrote:May I ask why you need to do this at all? What site didn't support this already?
We use flea flicker but never did trades on the site. Since we never tracked trades, dating back to 2009, i wanted to record all the trades we've made since 2012 when we joined fleaflcker. Our trades are posted on the message board but its tough to search through all the messages to look at trades for any reason.
WR- Brandin Cooks, Jarvis Landry, Jordan Matthews, Sterling Shepard, John Brown, Mike Wallace
TE- Coby Fleener
2017- 3rd overall, 4th overall, 8th overall, 9th overall, 10th overall, 12th overall, 13th overall, 17th overall, 21st overall, 25th overall, and 31st overall.
2019- 2 firsts.

IBall2
All Pro
All Pro

Postby IBall2 » Sun Jun 12, 2016 7:05 pm

In our offseason, our commish records all trades in excel but he just manually moves players from team to team. We don't really have an ongoing list of what trades happened.

I'm not sure I understand your question about connecting 2 columns and sorting them together. Might need some more information or better description of what you're trying to do.

Phantom Knight
Combine Attendee
Combine Attendee

Postby Phantom Knight » Sun Jun 12, 2016 7:14 pm

To sort, first use the mouse to select *all* columns that have data. One way to do so is with the shift key depressed click on the letter label at the top of each desired column.

You would want a column for each item that you might want to sort by. I personally would have a column for:

- date
- team 1
- player(s)/pick(s)/etc sent from team 1
- team 2
- player(s)/pick(s)/etc sent from team 2

However this leaves you without an easy way to see all trades for a given team since sometimes a team would in the first column and other times in the second. If that is something you wanted, I or someone else could help you after seeing an actual sample of your data.

terryb24
Role Player
Role Player

Postby terryb24 » Sun Jun 12, 2016 7:20 pm

Phantom Knight wrote:To sort, first use the mouse to select *all* columns. One way to do so is with the shift key depressed click on the letter label at the top of each column.

You would want a column for each item that you might want to sort by. I personally would have a column for:

- date
- team 1
- team 2

However this leaves you without an easy way to see all trades for a given team since sometimes a team would in the first column and other times in the second. If that is something you wanted, I or someone else could help you after seeing an actual sample of your data.
Thats what i started with and thats the exact problem i ran into. I was wondering if there is a way to connect Team 1 and Team 2 Columns so when i sort it to a specific team both sides come up. Its a confusing question but i appreciate all the help
TE- Coby Fleener
2019- 2 firsts.

terryb24
Role Player
Role Player

Postby terryb24 » Sun Jun 12, 2016 7:30 pm

IBall2 wrote:In our offseason, our commish records all trades in excel but he just manually moves players from team to team. We don't really have an ongoing list of what trades happened.

I'm not sure I understand your question about connecting 2 columns and sorting them together. Might need some more information or better description of what you're trying to do.
Yeah sorry about such a vague description. My question is, Say i had two columns one labeled Team 1 and the other Team 2. I have team names in each of those columns with the players they traded in those particular deals. If i wanted to filter it to a certain team i would run into trouble because they may have been in another column. Is there any way you could filter it in two columns at the same time, so if i wanted to filter to a team they would show up in both columns?
TE- Coby Fleener
2019- 2 firsts.

TheChicken
Captain
Captain

Postby TheChicken » Mon Jun 13, 2016 1:01 am

Advanced Filters are your friend. Too 'complex' for me to explain in a forum post. Try this link for help with advanced filters and hopefully you'll understand how to construct the correct criteria for your requirements (you want multiple line criteria which will effectively give you an OR operator).

http://www.officetooltips.com/excel/tip ... ering.html
99 problems but your 10 team league ain't one!

Goirish374
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Goirish374 » Mon Jun 13, 2016 2:40 am

wait, a family league that trades?!?

can i marry in?
Dynasty League Football Premium League Almanac:
2020 Champ: me again! (no, for reals!)
2019 Champ: me!
2018 Champ: Qazxswedcvfrtgbnhyuj
2017 Champ: Irishdoom
2016 Champ: DDT(wakelawyer)
2015 Champ: BigChiefBC

pokerface40
All Pro
All Pro

Postby pokerface40 » Mon Jun 13, 2016 2:57 am

Switch to MFL

CrimsonKodiak
Starter
Starter

Postby CrimsonKodiak » Mon Jun 13, 2016 1:21 pm

terryb24 wrote:
Phantom Knight wrote:To sort, first use the mouse to select *all* columns. One way to do so is with the shift key depressed click on the letter label at the top of each column.

- date
- team 1
- team 2

Thats what i started with and thats the exact problem i ran into. I was wondering if there is a way to connect Team 1 and Team 2 Columns so when i sort it to a specific team both sides come up. Its a confusing question but i appreciate all the help
Once all the data is in, formulate as a table. Highlight all columns and data you have then select HOME>FORMAT AS TABLE>MY TABLE HAS HEADERS
now you can select the header and list alphabetically or just select the owner you wish to see in whichever column you want to see it in.

I prefer Pivot Tables (it's cleaner and looks better), but I suspect that the answer you are looking for is satisfied in the above.

Let me know if you want any additional excel formatting tips
DLF Premium league (QB, RB, RB, WR, WR, TE, W/R/T, W/R/T) PPR
QB - Brady, Carr, Hoyer, Lynch
RB - CJA, Miller, Langford, Henry, Vereen, J. Allen, McCluster, Darkwa
WR - Sanders, Woods, Funchess, Jo Brown, Hogan, Ph. Cooper, Heyward-Bey, Wright, Marquess Wilson, Hunter, Goodwin, Fuller
TE - Gronkowski, Ebron, Chandler, Boyle

2017 1,2,3

tomfin2000
Starter
Starter

Postby tomfin2000 » Mon Jun 13, 2016 4:58 pm

CrimsonKodiak wrote:I prefer Pivot Tables (it's cleaner and looks better), but I suspect that the answer you are looking for is satisfied in the above.
Seconded. If you're going to work with multiple rows and columns of data in Excel on a regular basis, pivot tables are a powerful tool, and you can learn the basics relatively quickly.

bonscott
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby bonscott » Mon Jun 13, 2016 6:09 pm

pokerface40 wrote:Switch to MFL
I'd normally agree with this. :D

But I do have a question on Fleaflicker then...it's often held up as a reasonable alternative to MFL, but it can't track trades? Or is the OP simply not using it for trades? If so then I don't understand...use the Flea website for all trades going forward and make a Google doc to have a history of past trades. Why keep doing it by hand if the web site can do it for you.

terryb24
Role Player
Role Player

Postby terryb24 » Mon Jun 13, 2016 6:26 pm

Goirish374 wrote:wait, a family league that trades?!?

can i marry in?
I don't even want to post some of the trades made. No collusion but we have some old school fantasy owners and new school owners. QBs are valued very very highly for some reason too. We have probably made 50 trades since the season ended.
TE- Coby Fleener
2019- 2 firsts.

terryb24
Role Player
Role Player

Postby terryb24 » Mon Jun 13, 2016 6:27 pm

tomfin2000 wrote:
CrimsonKodiak wrote:I prefer Pivot Tables (it's cleaner and looks better), but I suspect that the answer you are looking for is satisfied in the above.
Seconded. If you're going to work with multiple rows and columns of data in Excel on a regular basis, pivot tables are a powerful tool, and you can learn the basics relatively quickly.
Thank you both! I will try this out now.
TE- Coby Fleener
2019- 2 firsts.