waiting for trade offers while on the clock.

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
UtterSurety
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

waiting for trade offers while on the clock.

Postby UtterSurety » Mon Jun 06, 2016 10:05 am

I would like to get opinions on an owners getting on the clock then sending an email to every owner that the current pick is on the block.

Personally, I think it kinda disrespectful to the other owners because it slows the drafts progress.

If I want to trade for pick I start negotiations before the pick I am targeting is on the block. So If my pick is up in 2 or 3 picks and I'm looking to trade, I would send a league message on that I am looking to trade before my pick comes up.

Phaded
GOAT
GOAT

Re: waiting for trade offers while on the clock.

Postby Phaded » Mon Jun 06, 2016 10:09 am

I see no problem with it.

The person probably has an allotted time to make their pick, what they want to do during their time is up to them.

Sometimes you won't know until you're on the clock if you like anyone there or not - alternatively, someone else may like someone and be willing to trade up for them.

UtterSurety
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby UtterSurety » Mon Jun 06, 2016 10:09 am

Please reply whether or not it is ok to sit on your pick that is on the clock waiting for trade offers. If so how long is too long. Also I'd like to know how long your rookie draft took and how many rounds, teams etc your league has.

Thanks

Shoreline Steamers
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby Shoreline Steamers » Mon Jun 06, 2016 10:11 am

There's nothing wrong with it at all. I'm assuming that your league has a draft clock, and as long as an owner wraps up his/her business prior to the clock expiring then there's no issue. You may not like it, but that doesn't mean there's anything wrong with an owner trying to take advantage of "draft fever" to maximize their return on assets (draft picks).

What if an owner is targeting a specific player with their upcoming pick and needs to wait and see if said player is available? You can't always know that 2 or 3 picks in advance. I think the draft is one of the most fun and exciting time of the fantasy season, and I'm always surprised at how many owners seem to want it to end as quickly as possible.
14 Team, No-PPR, 20 Man Roster, TD Heavy, TD = 6, FG = 3, Start: QB, 2RB, 2WR, TE, Flex, K, D
QB: L. Jackson, B. Purdy, T. Lance
RB: J. Mixon, N. Chubb, A. Dillon, J. Cook, K. Mitchell, J. McLaughlin, Z. Evans
WR: J. Chase, C. Godwin, D. Johnson, J. Reed, C. Tillman
TE: TJ Hockenson, D. Njoku, B. Jordan

14 Team, .5 PPR, 18 Man Roster, Rush/Rec TD = 6, Pass TD = 4, FG = 3, Start: QB, 2RB, 2WR, TE, Flex, K, D
QB: L. Jackson, T. Tagovailoa
RB: B. Robinson, K. Walker, R. Stevenson, K. Herbertl
WR: C. Olave, T. Higgins, B. Aiyuk, N. Collins, Z. Flowers, M. Mims
TE: K. Pitts, D. Njoku

Shoreline Steamers
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby Shoreline Steamers » Mon Jun 06, 2016 10:16 am

CaptainSimcoe wrote:Please reply whether or not it is ok to sit on your pick that is on the clock waiting for trade offers. If so how long is too long. Also I'd like to know how long your rookie draft took and how many rounds, teams etc your league has.

Thanks
Yes it is OK to sit on your pick waiting for trade offers. How long? As long as league bylaws allow. If you don't like the amount of time allowed in your league propose a change to the bylaws. Our draft is slated for 6 rounds, but usually sometime in round 3 teams start opting out of the draft if they can't trade their remaining picks. Teams that are rebuilding often use 5-6 picks to replace players on their roster and are often times the only ones picking in the later rounds.

Our drafts usually last between 3-4 hours, and it's always a good time.
14 Team, No-PPR, 20 Man Roster, TD Heavy, TD = 6, FG = 3, Start: QB, 2RB, 2WR, TE, Flex, K, D
QB: L. Jackson, B. Purdy, T. Lance
RB: J. Mixon, N. Chubb, A. Dillon, J. Cook, K. Mitchell, J. McLaughlin, Z. Evans
WR: J. Chase, C. Godwin, D. Johnson, J. Reed, C. Tillman
TE: TJ Hockenson, D. Njoku, B. Jordan

14 Team, .5 PPR, 18 Man Roster, Rush/Rec TD = 6, Pass TD = 4, FG = 3, Start: QB, 2RB, 2WR, TE, Flex, K, D
QB: L. Jackson, T. Tagovailoa
RB: B. Robinson, K. Walker, R. Stevenson, K. Herbertl
WR: C. Olave, T. Higgins, B. Aiyuk, N. Collins, Z. Flowers, M. Mims
TE: K. Pitts, D. Njoku

Valhalla
Legend
Legend

Postby Valhalla » Mon Jun 06, 2016 10:23 am

I don't get the issue. If it's a big issue to a lot of the guys in the league, set a time limit.
A lot of times, you are set on a player until you are on the clock. Then suddenly trade offers start rolling in. If the offers are intriguing, you have to think about it. If it wasn't presented to date, how are they supposed to snap accept or decline a close offer? Give them time. Let the draft play out. Trades during the draft make the draft more interesting.

FiremanEd
Legend
Legend

Postby FiremanEd » Mon Jun 06, 2016 10:26 am

It is perfectly okay for someone to use the full amount of time the league allows for a pick. Do I like when people do that? No, not unless it is me wanting to trade up and therefore am happy I got the chance to before he picked.

Every year I'm so anxious for the draft, as are the other owners, and everyone wants to be on the clock to either get their guy or work the board. Then in a blink of an eye the draft is over and you're back to offseason...bored. Why not enjoy the moment? Let people maximize their value and play the game. You want to race, but the longer it goes the more intrigue there is.

My draft is 5 rounds, 12 picks per round. We start the draft Sunday morning after the NFL Draft ends, but don't start the timer until two weeks later. Before then people can make their picks as they see fit if they wish, and they always do. Sometimes it is 2 minutes, sometimes it is 2 days. Everyone is always anxious for their pick or to see who goes, but so long as they don't go past their time, why is it a faux pas?

joeday
GOAT
GOAT

Postby joeday » Mon Jun 06, 2016 10:33 am

PhadedCN wrote:I see no problem with it.

The person probably has an allotted time to make their pick, what they want to do during their time is up to them.

Sometimes you won't know until you're on the clock if you like anyone there or not - alternatively, someone else may like someone and be willing to trade up for them.
this, exactly.

The exception to this is when it is like the end of the 3rd round and you sit there for like 4 hours waiting for trade offers that most likely will never come lol
BERLIN BOMBERS (0 – 0)
1996 | 2005 | 2012 | 2013 | 2014 | 2017 – πŸ†
1999 | 2000 | 2019 | 2020 – πŸ₯ˆ

14 team | 4 keepers | non ppr | est. 1996
QB –
RB – Christian McCaffrey | Josh Jacobs
WR – AJ Brown | CeeDee Lamb
TE –

ROCKY MOUNTAIN MASTODONS (0 – 0)
2011 | 2013 | 2015 | 2016 | 2017 | 2018 | 2020 – πŸ†
2008 | 2012 | 2014 | 2019 – πŸ₯ˆ

12 team | 10 keepers | non ppr | est. 2001
QB – Joe Burrow
RB – Tony Pollard | Kenneth Walker III | Rhamondre Stevenson
WR – Justin Jefferson | Stefon Diggs | DK Metcalf | Tee Higgins | Jameson Williams
TE – Trey McBride

Overall 2024 Regular Season Record: 0 – 0

FiremanEd
Legend
Legend

Postby FiremanEd » Mon Jun 06, 2016 10:34 am

I've found those mid rounds to be the hottest since everyone has someone they like and start to get paranoid since it gets wide open and the costs aren't as significant. 3rd round seemed like a hotbed for activity this year for me. Was entertaining.

bonscott
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby bonscott » Mon Jun 06, 2016 10:36 am

Ummmm, that's kinda the whole point. I'm on the clock, I can trade my pick. If the timer is 12 hours then I have 12 hours to field offers and then either take an offer or draft. Let me emphasize....*this is totally normal* and is healthy for the league since teams are looking to trade. Just this year the guy on the clock for the 4.11 pick was trying to trade it. I got with him with an hour left on the clock (12 hour timer) and we worked a trade out that moved me into that pick about 2 minutes before it expired.

12 team rookie draft, 12 hour timer suspended overnight, 4 rounds took about 4 days.

And why should I have to make a trade *before* my pick. I won't know until my pick is up if a player I'm targeting will actually be there or not. If not then I'll try and trade or I'll draft my guy. OR someone else wants to move into that pick and gives me an offer I can't refuse to trade out of it. It's all part of the fun.

It's barely June. Chill out and have fun. If someone uses up all their timer that it totally fine. Don't get ants in your pants because you don't want to bother with trading.

bonscott
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby bonscott » Mon Jun 06, 2016 10:39 am

FiremanEd wrote:I've found those mid rounds to be the hottest since everyone has someone they like and start to get paranoid since it gets wide open and the costs aren't as significant. 3rd round seemed like a hotbed for activity this year for me. Was entertaining.
Yep, same this year as well. Tons of trades in the 3rd and 4th round. There usually is anyway because there is always a market. Even in this years draft there are always guys there other teams want and plenty of teams willing to trade out for future year picks.

BelichekYourSelf
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby BelichekYourSelf » Mon Jun 06, 2016 11:07 am

CaptainSimcoe wrote:Please reply whether or not it is ok to sit on your pick that is on the clock waiting for trade offers. If so how long is too long. Also I'd like to know how long your rookie draft took and how many rounds, teams etc your league has.

Thanks
It is perfectly acceptable to wait the entire allotted time to make the pick and is not disrespectful at all. If you don't want to "slow the draft down" then lower the time allowed between picks.
12 Team. Roster 22, 4 TS. PPR, TE Prem (1.75). Start 1 QB, 5 flex (2 RB Max), 1 Def, 1 K
QB P. Mahomes, J. Goff, B Zappe (TS)
RB S. Barkley, N. Chubb, R. Stevenson, T. Pollard, J. Cook, K. Herbert, A. Mattison, E. Mitchell
WR AJ Brown, DK Metcalf, C. Kupp, A. Cooper, D. Hopkins, DJ Moore, B. Aiyuk, R. Doubs, K. Boutte (TS), C. Tillman (TS), M. Wilson (TS)
TE M. Andrews
Def Patriots, Ravens

wingnutty
Starter
Starter

Postby wingnutty » Mon Jun 06, 2016 11:13 am

I hate how some members of a league think that a draft must proceed and be finalized in 2-3 days :wall: Umm, have a little patience people...we have, what, 100 days until the season starts...what is your rush?!

If your league has a drat timer (most all of them do), then set it and leave players alone and let them trade or draft. You don't see NFL teams RUNNING to the podium to make their picks, no, most times they sit back for a bit and field offers. Most of the time offers are fully dependent upon who is left and cannot be fielded ahead of time.

To sum it up: Chill out and let people draft within the confines of the rules. If you want a 5 minute draft clock, then set it, otherwise shut up about it and have some patience.

The Hams
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby The Hams » Mon Jun 06, 2016 11:16 am

i think it kind of depends..i have been in drafts where people say fielding offers for pick..and they will pick within an hour..and its like they are online and communicating..i have no issue.. i have also had drafts where the guy says..pick on the block..and comes back 5 hours later..has no offers..leaves again...that - i cant stand..if you are going to field offers...be online..if not pick.. but there is no real rush otherwise..as long as ur not taking all day to pick..i have no issue with someone saying looking to trade

MEuRaH
Legend
Legend

Postby MEuRaH » Mon Jun 06, 2016 11:19 am

I think it's a little lame to throw it on the block and try to let the offers come to you instead of being proactive and making them to other people.

I am always proactive myself, and I never hold the draft up. I get embarrassed if I do. I did own the 1.10, 1.11, and 1.12 in a draft a month ago. There were only 9 guys I liked in the draft, but I couldn't trade anything away yet on the off chance that those guys might fall to me. However, when the 9th guy was taken at 1.09, I then started fielding offers and making several more. I got a deal done in less than a half hour, and I was proactive that whole time. If I hadn't started making those trade offers, I'm not 100% sure that an offer would have reached out to me or not.

Point is, I both agree and disagree. Yes, 12 hours is the rule, but that doesn't mean you should sit back and wait for them to roll in. If you really want to trade your pick and you are on the clock, you should be trying your hardest to trade the pick away by making offers.
ULTIMATE RB GURUs
2021 RB Injury Guru: abloom "Akers will suffer an ACL injury in the preseason and does not play during the season."
2021 RB Guru: qazxswedcvfrtgbnhyuj & McCafsteez -- Winners of the Antonio Gibson Wager!

REAL RB GURUs:
CubfanAA - Anteaters - Ice - JJRules - TheNuts - jtk1234 - Bronco Billy - YouMightDieTryin - hockeyBjj - honcho55 - murphysxm - Patsfan86 - jman3134