IDP Leagues

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
homer
Role Player
Role Player

IDP Leagues

Postby homer » Thu May 26, 2016 9:03 pm

Are there more owners out there that dislike IDP as much as me. I check out the Help Wanted forum and find a league I might like and BAM they want to play IDP. Why is this a rising item?? Just wondered what others thought, thanks.

Coogan Football
GOAT
GOAT

Re: IDP Leagues

Postby Coogan Football » Thu May 26, 2016 9:20 pm

Because its more in-depth and involves more work and more tweaking....isn't that why we love dynasty???
12 team 6pts all TDs/.5ppr/SFlex/ balanced IDP, scoring est. 2008
Start QB,SF,2RB,3WR,TE,2Flex,3DL,3LB,3DB,2DFlex
3x Champion 2015, 2016, 2017
QB: Brees, Luck, Prescott, McCarron, C.Kelly, Peterman
RB: Elliott, Gurley, Hunt, Kamara, Gordon, Howard, McCaffrey, J.Williams,
WR: Julio, Hopkins, M.Thomas, TY, Watkins, Kupp, C.Davis, Thomas (LA), Carroo, Switzer, Tr. Taylor
TE: Olsen, Engram, Howard, Fleener, Swoope
DL: Watt, Mack, C.Jordan, Bosa, D.Hunter, Clowney, Armstead
LB: Kuechly, Ogletree, Mosley, McKinney, R.Foster, Bucannon, Z.Cunningham, Anzalone, ShaqT,
, Goodson, Pullard,
DB: H.Smith, Vaccaro, B.Jones, Neal, Adoree, K.Joseph, Geathers, M.Maye, J.Jones, D Thompson

Don't be the guy that asks for advice without giving some out yourself
#WhoDat

sloth8u
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby sloth8u » Fri May 27, 2016 1:09 am

For me, I went to idp when I became sick of owners refusing to trade potential and or proven players. If they want to hoard...fine...but let's bring more players into the lineups to even the playing field.

Pretty frustrating watching the same strong teams get over on the same weak teams year after year. While that still happens, idp can make up for that to a certain degree.

Like coogs mentioned aswell, it's also more in depth for those looking for the experience.

bruiser
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby bruiser » Fri May 27, 2016 1:34 am

When I graduated to IDP, there was no turning back. Soon after that, I got my PhD in salaries/contracts and have been teaching since. Just last week my four year old daughter took her own training wheels off!.... you can too!
Just a guy who loves fantasy football - specifically defense.

RavingLunatic
Starter
Starter

Postby RavingLunatic » Fri May 27, 2016 3:24 am

Standard leagues with your usual slot for a K and a DST are fine for more casual leagues and owners. IDP is for more involved owners which tend to be the ones who play in dynasty leagues.

FiremanEd
Legend
Legend

Postby FiremanEd » Fri May 27, 2016 5:19 am

Why would one hate IDP? Can't handle it is all I can think of. Involving the other half of the game only enhances the the experience and knowledge of owners.

Don't get me wrong, thinking 24/7 about WRs is a lot of fun...then sprinkle in some RBBC thoughts, a 'which TE will finally break out', and then thinking about the most important position in football that is near irrelevant in standard leagues is a lot of fun...but...yeah.

(If you can't tell, I think 1QB and Team Defense leagues are far beneath me as a football fan...)

bruiser
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby bruiser » Fri May 27, 2016 5:25 am

FiremanEd wrote:Why would one hate IDP? Can't handle it is all I can think of. Involving the other half of the game only enhances the the experience and knowledge of owners.

Don't get me wrong, thinking 24/7 about WRs is a lot of fun...then sprinkle in some RBBC thoughts, a 'which TE will finally break out', and then thinking about the most important position in football that is near irrelevant in standard leagues is a lot of fun...but...yeah.

(If you can't tell, I think 1QB and Team Defense leagues are far beneath me as a football fan...)
lol, I picked that up. same for me. I still play in one ESPN team defense league, but atleast its 16-teams and heavy weighted on defensive scoring.
Just a guy who loves fantasy football - specifically defense.

Kcarr
Captain
Captain

Postby Kcarr » Fri May 27, 2016 6:15 am

I feel like most people the deeper we get into this game want a game where relevant positions go beyond rb and wr. This is why you see superflex, TE premium, and deeper and deeper moves toward idp
4th and long: ppr, 10 team, qb, rb, rb, wr, wr, wr, flex, flex, te, k, dl, dl, lb, lb, db, db, dflex, dflex

QB: Kirk Cousins Tyrod Taylor, Jared Goff
RB: Melvin Gordon, Ezekiel Elliot, Theo Riddick, D'Onta Foreman, James Conner, Jamal Williams
WR: Alshon Jeffrey, Amari Cooper, Sammy Watkins, Keenan Allen, Jordan Matthews, Cole Beasley, Robby Anderson, Corey Davis, Breshad Perriman, Eli Rogers
TE: Eric Ebron, , David Njoku, Jack Doyle
K: Will Lutz
DL: Frank Clark, Danielle Hunter
LB: Luke Kuechley, Bobby Wagner, Jordan Hicks, Mark Barron, Darron Lee
DB: Sean Davis, Morgan Burnett,

IR: Clayton Geathers, Quincy Enunwa, Raekwon McMillan

CrimsonKodiak
Starter
Starter

Postby CrimsonKodiak » Fri May 27, 2016 9:01 am

IDP leagues are a great way to extend your passion for the game.

More players on the roster means less chance that one player lights up (Big Ben back to back 6 td games) and your well balanced team gets destroyed. With the right scoring system in place IDP players are just as valuable as WR/RB. (avg scoring ~10 ppg).

More pieces, more trade values, more points, more to keep track of. What's not to love?
DLF Premium league (QB, RB, RB, WR, WR, TE, W/R/T, W/R/T) PPR
QB - Brady, Carr, Hoyer, Lynch
RB - CJA, Miller, Langford, Henry, Vereen, J. Allen, McCluster, Darkwa
WR - Sanders, Woods, Funchess, Jo Brown, Hogan, Ph. Cooper, Heyward-Bey, Wright, Marquess Wilson, Hunter, Goodwin, Fuller
TE - Gronkowski, Ebron, Chandler, Boyle

2017 1,2,3

HawkeyeState
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby HawkeyeState » Fri May 27, 2016 9:32 am

IDP creates more chances for trading.
The more players that can score points and hold value, the more opportunities there are to complete trades.
I will say this, you need to create a league where IDP can stand on it's own against offensive players.
I have 3 IDP leagues and all 3 of them are IDP scoring suppressed. In this scenario, only the elite IDP players are ever traded for anything of note and even though say JJ Watt is the #1 DL, he just can't stand up to offensive players. EXAMPLE: in those 3 leagues in 2014 when Watt really blew it up, he scored 201.2 points (overall player 52), 206.4 points (overall player 49), and 233.4 (overall player 34).
So even mr stud JJ Watt can't crack the top 30 scoring players in those leagues and he had a 20.5 sacks and scored 2 TDs!

My point, if you don't make the IDP scoring strong, then the IDP becomes more hassle than anything else. In these leagues, It's more of a hassle finding guys week to week for injuries/bye weeks/changing depth charts even though they account for only a handful of points week to week.
Team 1
10 TM .5 PPR, 6 pt all TDs 1/2/3/1/2Flex
Newton, Rivers
LF, Chubb, Michel, Kerryon, Hyde, AJones, Royce F, Crowell
Adams, Cooper, Alshon, Watkins, ARob, Fuller, Doctson, Funchess, Gallup, Pettis, Valdez-Scant
Gronk, HHenry, Engram
1.09, 2.09, 3.09, 4.09, 5.09

Team 2
10 TM 1/2/3/1/1Flex 6pt all TDs .25 PPR RB, .5 PPR WR, 1 PPR TE
Wilson, Big Ben
Bell, JConner, MMack, Shady, CThompson, D'Onta Foreman, C Edmonds, B Scarborough
Julio, Nuk, Fuller, Cooks, ARob, Watkins, Cooper, SShepard, CDavis, DJ Chark
Kelce, Olsen, Andrews
1.09, 2.09, 3.09, 4.09, 5.09

Team 3
10 team, 0.5 PPR RBs WRs, 1 PPR TEs, Devy Superflex League
Carr, Goff, Falk
Barkley, Dalvin, Mixon, Michel, Ballage, MDavis, Dixon, Akers*
Hopkins, JuJu, Watkins, Fuller, Agholor, Moncrief, EQSB, Valdez-Scant, CRogers
Eifert, Ebron, JJames, JCook
1.02, 2.02, 2.06, 3.04

Played against David Johnson in HS, he was a stud back then too

ArrylT
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby ArrylT » Fri May 27, 2016 10:29 am

HawkeyeState wrote:IDP creates more chances for trading.
The more players that can score points and hold value, the more opportunities there are to complete trades.
I will say this, you need to create a league where IDP can stand on it's own against offensive players.
I have 3 IDP leagues and all 3 of them are IDP scoring suppressed. In this scenario, only the elite IDP players are ever traded for anything of note and even though say JJ Watt is the #1 DL, he just can't stand up to offensive players. EXAMPLE: in those 3 leagues in 2014 when Watt really blew it up, he scored 201.2 points (overall player 52), 206.4 points (overall player 49), and 233.4 (overall player 34).
So even mr stud JJ Watt can't crack the top 30 scoring players in those leagues and he had a 20.5 sacks and scored 2 TDs!

My point, if you don't make the IDP scoring strong, then the IDP becomes more hassle than anything else. In these leagues, It's more of a hassle finding guys week to week for injuries/bye weeks/changing depth charts even though they account for only a handful of points week to week.

I agree but I also disagree. I agree that you want to make IDP scorong strong so that they are worth it for owners to trade/acquire. But I disagree that (a) it is much of a hassle to find replacements or that (b) IDP players can ever have the same value that offensive guys can have, at least not without using certain scoring categories, or overly valuing plays like sacks or INTs.

Why?

Because the difference between the top IDP and the average IDP is almost never going to be anywhere near that of that of the top RB/WR/TE and the baseline.

Here is the highest scoring IDP in 4 different IDP leagues I am in based on PPG (where possible)

(A)
1 - Kuechly 14.45 ppg
12 - J. Hicks 12.34 ppg
64 - M. Burnett 9.02 ppg

(B)
1 - A. Ogletree 19.25 ppg
12 - S. Lee 15.92 ppg
64 - D. Whitner 11.5 ppg

(C)

1 - D. Lavonte 189 TP (works out to 11.8 ppg for 16 games(
12 - M. Smith 143 TP (8.9 ppg)
64 - F. Cox 106 TP (6.6 ppg)

(D)

1 - R. Jones 175 TP (10.93)
12 - C. Graham 138 TP (8.63)
64 - A. Williamson 98 TP (6.12)

As you can see in 4 different leagues with four different IDP scoring settings, the same thing occurs - the difference between the 12th & the 64th best IDP is pretty much less than or equal to the difference of the 1st & 12th. In other words if you do not have an elite IDP, you are just as likely to be able to stream IDP production and ergo adding IDP to your dynasty will not really make it that much harder or challenging (imho). Having played with IDP dynasty leagues for over 15 years, experience has time and time again taught me this lesson.

Apart from a large handful of IDP, whose dynasty value can change more frequently in value than RB, there arent that many IDP worth keeping from year to year - the variance in their production, and the likelyhood of getting equal production from FA (even in 16 team leagues with 8-10 IDP starters) is just too high. But thats just my opinion.
Please speak to clarion contrarion before considering the use of vetos..

homer
Role Player
Role Player

Postby homer » Fri May 27, 2016 7:20 pm

Thanks you all for the input, Maybe one day I will try the IDP. I never play Dynasty until about 5 years ago and love it. I never play Auction until last year and love it.

Thedude30
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Thedude30 » Fri May 27, 2016 10:08 pm

I won't play in any dynasty leagues that aren't IDP. It's so much better, adds another layer of enjoyment.

FiremanEd
Legend
Legend

Postby FiremanEd » Fri May 27, 2016 10:21 pm

I legit have to ask - what is not to like? I can only legitimately believe it is people afraid to try the unknown. I don't want to hear the 'I don't have enough time' from anyone who spends time on a fantasy football forum...that just isn't a real excuse. I challenge people to venture out and learn the other half of football. It is pretty great. Just like I challenge people to Superflex...because you know, having the QB as an afterthought is just silly. WR isn't the be all, end all of football...

Prospector
Role Player
Role Player

Postby Prospector » Sat May 28, 2016 3:15 pm

I only play IDP now. Many more angles and news to digest. The fact that teams can win on defense sometimes in some leagues adds such a fun dimension. You may end up enjoying it.