Mike Evans - The Dislike Is Real for this Perennial WR1 - Discussion Thread

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Re: Is Mike Evans a Buy low or sell high?

Postby Cameron Giles » Thu May 05, 2016 7:25 am

Evans has the 7th most yards for a WR in his first two years. His talent is already apparent. Winston threw 9 touchdowns to wide receivers last season, a number that's virtually a lock to increase going forward. Evans had some drop issues, but there's no way he's on the short stick of touchdowns long-term. The yardage will be there and even if he has about 8 touchdowns, he's in the WR1 mix.

I don't really think he's a buy low, but I could see selling if you feel you can get a receiver who's as good and an additional asset.

Unicorn92
Role Player
Role Player

Postby Unicorn92 » Thu May 05, 2016 8:18 am

Buy low but I doubt someone will sell him low
I play in an idp dynasty keeper league 10 teams with 1 qb start in a ppr league 2 en 2 wr 1te 1 flex. This is a roster of 35 players and a ts of 5 players in mfl and this is a ppr league

Roster

QB: D. Jones, B. Mayfield
RB: S.Barkley, M.Breida, T. Cohen D.Johnson, J. Williams, B. Scarborough
WR: B.Cooks, C.Goodwin, K. Allen, T.Lockett, C. Kirk, M. Williams, D. Westbrook, A. Miller
TE: C. Herndon, R. Griffin, I. Thomas
K C.Boswell
DL M. Davenport, F. Clark, S. Hubbard,
LB M. D. Jones, L. Vander Esch, R. Evans, M. Milano, H. Landry, J. Baker
DB: B.Baker, J. Bates, J. Peppers

Practice squad: P. Williams, T. Rapp, C. Ferrell, E. Oliver, B. Cashman

KU Sucks
Captain
Captain

Postby KU Sucks » Thu May 05, 2016 8:32 am

I haven't seen him moved in any of my leagues; the league I do have him in it, it would take somebody to "over pay" to get him out of me since Calvin retired on me.

theone
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby theone » Thu May 05, 2016 9:33 am

Similar thoughts as other people. He does not qualify as either. Buyers are expecting a discount based on last season but sellers who invested heavily with top 10 startup capital (he was the #2 overall in one of my startups last year) are not selling low.
I think we have a decent idea of what Evans is based on his work so far. A high TD upside, deep ball player with limited route running and separation skills and inconsistent hands who will be inconsistent week to week. His seasonal ceiling is probably something like ARob last year while his floor is somewhere around a DJax type season.

nathanq42
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby nathanq42 » Thu May 05, 2016 11:52 am

As an Evans owner I think this thread is bang on. I've had people come up to me with garbage offers because they want to catch him before he blows up again. And I'm not going to sell for less than what I think he will do (go out and beastify everyone)

So basically if you want to buy you have to bite the bullet, saddle up, and pay full price if not an overpay. And if you are looking to sell, don't sell short
12 Team 1 ppr .1 points per carry
Garbage
QB Jalen Hurts
RB A-train, D'Onta Foreman,Jahmyr Gibbs, JK Dobbins, Rashaad Penny, AJ Dillon, Jerrick McKinnon, Joshua Kelley, TDP, Chase Edmonds, JRob, Zamir White
WR CeeDee Lamb, Justin Jefferson, DJ Moore, Hollywood Brown, Brandin Cooks, Odell Beckham Junior, Marvin Jones, Braxton Berrios, Richie James
TE Dalton Kincaid, Foster Moreau
+2 Flex
1.02, 1.06

KU Sucks
Captain
Captain

Postby KU Sucks » Thu May 05, 2016 12:57 pm

nathanq42 wrote:As an Evans owner I think this thread is bang on. I've had people come up to me with garbage offers because they want to catch him before he blows up again. And I'm not going to sell for less than what I think he will do (go out and beastify everyone)

So basically if you want to buy you have to bite the bullet, saddle up, and pay full price if not an overpay. And if you are looking to sell, don't sell short
Yep, this.

Jason3123
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Jason3123 » Thu May 05, 2016 2:39 pm

Buy low, mid or high.

dipANDglide
All Pro
All Pro

Postby dipANDglide » Thu May 05, 2016 3:18 pm

For some reason I thought his ADP dropped into the 9-12 range(9th in March. 7th in April). I thought maybe there'd have been some trades, and I wanted to get peoples opinion on buying/selling. It sounds like people aren't selling and his value is creeping back up.

I was watching some tape on him and thought he looked clunky and not smooth running routes/catching the ball. Some of that is a function of being 6'5" I guess. Do any of you feel that way about him? Has he survived on volume? Hasn't conditioning been an issue?

Thanks for the opinions. I'm trying to find some direction with him.

nathanq42
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby nathanq42 » Thu May 05, 2016 5:04 pm

dipANDglide wrote:For some reason I thought his ADP dropped into the 9-12 range(9th in March. 7th in April). I thought maybe there'd have been some trades, and I wanted to get peoples opinion on buying/selling. It sounds like people aren't selling and his value is creeping back up.

I was watching some tape on him and thought he looked clunky and not smooth running routes/catching the ball. Some of that is a function of being 6'5" I guess. Do any of you feel that way about him? Has he survived on volume? Hasn't conditioning been an issue?

Thanks for the opinions. I'm trying to find some direction with him.
I think it is a lack of experience. The guy is 22, and has already played two years in the NFL. Insane right? So I guess he still has yet to pick up the nuances and fluidity that a guy like AB has. That goes for both route runny and catching. With that said, he can only go up really, the more experience he gets, the more time and work he puts in the better he gets. I think we have seen his basement (as in this past season is below his floor) I'd say his floor moving forward is a mix of this last season and his rookie season. Something like 70/1100/8 maybe? Also consider last year was his first year with a rookie qb. Sky is the limit baby
12 Team 1 ppr .1 points per carry
Garbage
QB Jalen Hurts
RB A-train, D'Onta Foreman,Jahmyr Gibbs, JK Dobbins, Rashaad Penny, AJ Dillon, Jerrick McKinnon, Joshua Kelley, TDP, Chase Edmonds, JRob, Zamir White
WR CeeDee Lamb, Justin Jefferson, DJ Moore, Hollywood Brown, Brandin Cooks, Odell Beckham Junior, Marvin Jones, Braxton Berrios, Richie James
TE Dalton Kincaid, Foster Moreau
+2 Flex
1.02, 1.06

djeternal2
Captain
Captain

Postby djeternal2 » Thu May 05, 2016 5:25 pm

Unless he increases his catch % he'll be dependent on TDs to boost his production. Last yr his catch % actually went down from 55% to 50%. The only reason his #s still looked respectable is due to volume as he was the 10th highest targeted WR last yr with 148.
10 tm ppr 1 QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, 2 Flex, TE, K, TDEF (Yr 6)
QB - Ryan, Wentz
RB - Gurley, A Jones, Cohen, Kerryon, Dam Williams, Duke, I Smith, Armstead, T Carson
WR - AJG, Watkins, ARob, A. Cooper, K Allen, M Williams, Godwin, Callaway, JJAW
TE - Gesicki, I Smith, Herndon, Eifert, Sternberger, Dissly

10 tm TE prem 1 QB, 2 RB, 3 WR, 1 TE, 1 Flex, K, 2 DB, 2 DL, 2 LB (Yr 5)
QB - Mahomes, Mayfield, Wentz,
RB - Zeke, Chubb, Kerryon, Duke, Edmonds, B Hill
WR - Nuk, AJG, ARob, JJS, Samuel, MVS, T Smith, D Hamilton, Gallup, K Johnson
TE - Njoku, Eifert, Herndon, I Smith, I Thomas, Moreau
DL - Watt, K Clark, Q Williams
LB - D Jones, D Bush
DB - K Neal, Bell

DLF Early Birds - 16 tm SF (1 QB, 2 RB, 3 WR, 1 TE, 2 Flex, 1 SF
QB - A Rodgers, Darnold, Rosen, M Rudolph, Luck
RB - Damian Williams, J Howard, Duke, AP, Gore
WR - Julio, Golladay, Kirk, Stills, Manny Sanders, N Harry
TE - Jarwin, Gesicki, Boyle, Sprinkle

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Cameron Giles » Thu May 05, 2016 5:47 pm

djeternal2 wrote:Unless he increases his catch % he'll be dependent on TDs to boost his production. Last yr his catch % actually went down from 55% to 50%. The only reason his #s still looked respectable is due to volume as he was the 10th highest targeted WR last yr with 148.
Every big-time WR is dependent on volume though. Players like Antonio, Julio and OBJ are spoon-fed targets. He can do more with the targets he's given, which is kind of the scary part. He went 74/1206 with what he got and essentially missed two games.

djeternal2
Captain
Captain

Postby djeternal2 » Thu May 05, 2016 6:03 pm

Cameron Giles wrote:
djeternal2 wrote:Unless he increases his catch % he'll be dependent on TDs to boost his production. Last yr his catch % actually went down from 55% to 50%. The only reason his #s still looked respectable is due to volume as he was the 10th highest targeted WR last yr with 148.
Every big-time WR is dependent on volume though. Players like Antonio, Julio and OBJ are spoon-fed targets. He can do more with the targets he's given, which is kind of the scary part. He went 74/1206 with what he got and essentially missed two games.
Correct they are dependent on volume which Evans is getting in spades. My point is unless the catch % increases instead of decreasing he will be dependent on High TD volume to push him into the top 10 WR which is where quite a few ppl have him. I had this same discussion with a leaguemate earlier tonight. He thought I was nuts because I'm not that high on Evans (I have him 15-20 range). At his current rate if he gets 10+TD which is something no one can count on (just ask the ARob detractors) then he gets into the top 10 WRs. If he gets 5 or fewer like his 3 last yr then he slides to the 18-22 range.
10 tm ppr 1 QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, 2 Flex, TE, K, TDEF (Yr 6)
QB - Ryan, Wentz
RB - Gurley, A Jones, Cohen, Kerryon, Dam Williams, Duke, I Smith, Armstead, T Carson
WR - AJG, Watkins, ARob, A. Cooper, K Allen, M Williams, Godwin, Callaway, JJAW
TE - Gesicki, I Smith, Herndon, Eifert, Sternberger, Dissly

10 tm TE prem 1 QB, 2 RB, 3 WR, 1 TE, 1 Flex, K, 2 DB, 2 DL, 2 LB (Yr 5)
QB - Mahomes, Mayfield, Wentz,
RB - Zeke, Chubb, Kerryon, Duke, Edmonds, B Hill
WR - Nuk, AJG, ARob, JJS, Samuel, MVS, T Smith, D Hamilton, Gallup, K Johnson
TE - Njoku, Eifert, Herndon, I Smith, I Thomas, Moreau
DL - Watt, K Clark, Q Williams
LB - D Jones, D Bush
DB - K Neal, Bell

DLF Early Birds - 16 tm SF (1 QB, 2 RB, 3 WR, 1 TE, 2 Flex, 1 SF
QB - A Rodgers, Darnold, Rosen, M Rudolph, Luck
RB - Damian Williams, J Howard, Duke, AP, Gore
WR - Julio, Golladay, Kirk, Stills, Manny Sanders, N Harry
TE - Jarwin, Gesicki, Boyle, Sprinkle

roofy61
Role Player
Role Player

Postby roofy61 » Thu May 05, 2016 6:18 pm

i have Evans and was offered koa misi, aqib talib and the 1.09 for Evans and my 1.06!!! can't believe i didn't jump on that one!

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Cameron Giles » Thu May 05, 2016 6:46 pm

djeternal2 wrote: Correct they are dependent on volume which Evans is getting in spades. My point is unless the catch % increases instead of decreasing he will be dependent on High TD volume to push him into the top 10 WR which is where quite a few ppl have him. I had this same discussion with a leaguemate earlier tonight. He thought I was nuts because I'm not that high on Evans (I have him 15-20 range). At his current rate if he gets 10+TD which is something no one can count on (just ask the ARob detractors) then he gets into the top 10 WRs. If he gets 5 or fewer like his 3 last yr then he slides to the 18-22 range.
Evans finished WR23 overall. He missed 1 game to start the season and played as a decoy with 0 points in the next game. If you take those two games out, Evans was WR16 from Week 3 to Week 17.

Now, if you look at Evans numbers after Tampa's bye week, from Week 7 to 17, he was WR11. He did that wthout a huge touchdown total.

The whole TD conversation is reasonable if you're looking at a player who doesn't have the talent to post big TD numbers. Ted Ginn probably isn't going to sniff 10 TD's again. But when you're looking at a player of Evans size, deep play ability and red zone dominance, you tend to think 3 touchdowns is a flukey number.

Telperion
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby Telperion » Fri May 06, 2016 4:30 am

He had a rookie QB, Lovie Smith, and a soft tissue injury. What more did people want from him?

He's every bit the stud everybody thought he'd be.

Sent from my LG-H811 using Tapatalk
- Don't waste your time on late round NFL draft picks: Success rates by NFL draft round and speed.
- Team(s): Team 1