Megatron Question

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
slaughterrt
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Megatron Question

Postby slaughterrt » Wed Apr 06, 2016 9:34 am

Just curious if anyone is still looking to trade for or trade away Megatron? No doubt the majority of his value is gone, but was wondering if anyone still held out hope for a comeback in 2017? I own Calvin in a 16 teamer, and I dunno if I should hold or drop him for a prospect. Benches are somewhat deep enough that there aren't too many good guys on WW, but eventually rookie draft will take place and then who knows?

Does Calvin have any trade value at all (aka take what you can get)? Or are people just holding and hoping? Or is he completely droppable at this point?

HawkeyeState
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Re: Megatron Question

Postby HawkeyeState » Wed Apr 06, 2016 9:36 am

Don't know for sure.
But I would think he has zero trade value.
He's worth more as a speculative WW add for someone or just outright hold.
If there aren't any good options on the WW just hold him I would think.
Team 1
10 TM .5 PPR, 6 pt all TDs 1/2/3/1/2Flex
Newton, Rivers
LF, Chubb, Michel, Kerryon, Hyde, AJones, Royce F, Crowell
Adams, Cooper, Alshon, Watkins, ARob, Fuller, Doctson, Funchess, Gallup, Pettis, Valdez-Scant
Gronk, HHenry, Engram
1.09, 2.09, 3.09, 4.09, 5.09

Team 2
10 TM 1/2/3/1/1Flex 6pt all TDs .25 PPR RB, .5 PPR WR, 1 PPR TE
Wilson, Big Ben
Bell, JConner, MMack, Shady, CThompson, D'Onta Foreman, C Edmonds, B Scarborough
Julio, Nuk, Fuller, Cooks, ARob, Watkins, Cooper, SShepard, CDavis, DJ Chark
Kelce, Olsen, Andrews

Team 3
10 team, 0.5 PPR RBs WRs, 1 PPR TEs, Devy Superflex League
Carr, Goff, Falk
Barkley, Dalvin, Mixon, Michel, Ballage, MDavis, Dixon, Akers*
Hopkins, JuJu, Watkins, Fuller, Agholor, Moncrief, EQSB, Valdez-Scant, CRogers
Eifert, Ebron, JJames, JCook
1.02, 2.02, 2.06, 3.04

Played against David Johnson in HS, he was a stud back then too

heyfeefellskee
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby heyfeefellskee » Wed Apr 06, 2016 9:53 am

He doesn't have zero value, but whatever the smallest increment is above zero, that's it. He's not coming back, so if you can get $1 of blind bidding money, or the last pick of your draft, I'd just do it. Otherwise, he's gone.

thriftyrocker
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby thriftyrocker » Wed Apr 06, 2016 11:39 am

I think the chance he comes back next year are nonzero. Between 5 and 20%. If he can put up 2 great (maybe not elite) years after that, then he's worth as much as a mid/late 2nd. If you look at late March ADP data he goes between rookie 22 and 23, which is pretty pretty high. If you are looking to put up trade bait, I would ask for a 3rd. I wouldn't accept a 4th unless you are of the mindset you're just cutting him by September anyway.

I am looking to acquire. I would try not to trade a pick for him, instead offer youth on my roster I don't believe in anymore. I would probably accept giving a 4th for him if it magically showed up in my inbox. If it was a 3rd I'd have to think about it.

Roster size varies this question. If it's a shallow league, like 12x20, I wouldn't give anything for him. Just wait for him to be dropped, try to time it right with a November pickup if I have space. But in a deep league I would pay a low cost.

Phaded
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Phaded » Wed Apr 06, 2016 11:43 am

heyfeefellskee wrote:He doesn't have zero value, but whatever the smallest increment is above zero, that's it. He's not coming back, so if you can get $1 of blind bidding money, or the last pick of your draft, I'd just do it. Otherwise, he's gone.
This about sums it up..

And only in deep leagues at that.

slaughterrt
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby slaughterrt » Wed Apr 06, 2016 11:44 am

JTLoh wrote:
slaughterrt wrote:Benches are somewhat deep enough that there aren't too many good guys on WW.....
This goes to my point in the other thread. This league has enough roster spots where you are considering holding or trading a retired player to another team where they will have to stash them away for a year to see if he plays in 2017? Come on.

To be on topic, if you can get anything at all for him, DO IT. If you can't, cut him and take someone else. He wasn't good his final year and if he comes back in 2017 do you really think he will put up Megatron stats again?
To your first point, I'm not considering keeping just any old retired player. This is Calvin Johnson we are talking about. Consensus number one startup pick not long ago. He is 30 years old. 30. He's not 40. He's not 35. He is 30. I am 30. Lol. He is not old in terms of NFL WRs.

To your second point about him not being good his final season. He put up 88 catches for 1200+ yards and 9 TDs. To say that he didn't put up good numbers his final year is ludicrous.

Nearly any other player in this situation would be an easy cut. But this is a 30 year old WR who put up very very respectable numbers last year.

KU Sucks
Captain
Captain

Postby KU Sucks » Wed Apr 06, 2016 11:49 am

I cut him last month in the one league I had him, but a guy in another league still has him and Lynch on the block. If I was losing both off the same team, I would holding as long as possible too............. :crazy:

heyfeefellskee
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby heyfeefellskee » Wed Apr 06, 2016 11:49 am

slaughterrt wrote:
JTLoh wrote:
slaughterrt wrote:Benches are somewhat deep enough that there aren't too many good guys on WW.....
This goes to my point in the other thread. This league has enough roster spots where you are considering holding or trading a retired player to another team where they will have to stash them away for a year to see if he plays in 2017? Come on.

To be on topic, if you can get anything at all for him, DO IT. If you can't, cut him and take someone else. He wasn't good his final year and if he comes back in 2017 do you really think he will put up Megatron stats again?
To your first point, I'm not considering keeping just any old retired player. This is Calvin Johnson we are talking about. Consensus number one startup pick not long ago. He is 30 years old. 30. He's not 40. He's not 35. He is 30. I am 30. Lol. He is not old in terms of NFL WRs.

To your second point about him not being good his final season. He put up 88 catches for 1200+ yards and 9 TDs. To say that he didn't put up good numbers his final year is ludicrous.

Nearly any other player in this situation would be an easy cut. But this is a 30 year old WR who put up very very respectable numbers last year.
This is all true. But you're missing the point: he's retired. What he did last year is almost a moot point.

Tsunami
All Pro
All Pro

Postby Tsunami » Wed Apr 06, 2016 11:50 am

I wouldn't be totally shocked if he came back after a year or two. But the thing that matters to me is that his value isn't going to be higher in December than it is now. So trade or cut him and pick him back up then.

thriftyrocker
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby thriftyrocker » Wed Apr 06, 2016 12:14 pm

heyfeefellskee wrote: This is all true. But you're missing the point: he's retired. What he did last year is almost a moot point.
Plenty of examples of all world players attempting comebacks after a year+ off - Moss, Deion, Tiki. The problem is they were in their mid/late 30s when they did that. If Calvin is in his early 30s when he attempts a comeback, he could have as much upside as guys we will spend 1sts on this year.

Shoreline Steamers
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby Shoreline Steamers » Wed Apr 06, 2016 1:02 pm

thriftyrocker wrote:
heyfeefellskee wrote: This is all true. But you're missing the point: he's retired. What he did last year is almost a moot point.
Plenty of examples of all world players attempting comebacks after a year+ off - Moss, Deion, Tiki. The problem is they were in their mid/late 30s when they did that. If Calvin is in his early 30s when he attempts a comeback, he could have as much upside as guys we will spend 1sts on this year.
It's a fair point Thrifty, but I think his ankles will tell you he's played his last snap. Trending in the NFL is players looking to get out relatively healthy while they're still somewhat young to preserve some quality of life after they're finished playing. Calvin doesn't need the money, has nothing to prove, and has been beat-up season after season.

While we'd all love to see him on the field running routes to help our fantasy teams, I believe him when he says he's done. And if you're holding a roster spot for him, you're just handcuffing yourself from adding another player who might actually accrue NFL stats moving forward. Calvin Johnson isn't that player, and the examples you cite are from the pre-CTE era. Players are more aware than ever that football isn't good for your health, and that's the primary reason Johnson retired.
14 Team, No-PPR, 20 Man Roster, TD Heavy, TD = 6, FG = 3, Start: QB, 2RB, 2WR, TE, Flex, K, D
QB: L. Jackson, B. Purdy, T. Lance
RB: J. Mixon, N. Chubb, A. Dillon, J. Cook, K. Mitchell, J. McLaughlin, Z. Evans
WR: J. Chase, C. Godwin, D. Johnson, J. Reed, C. Tillman
TE: TJ Hockenson, D. Njoku, B. Jordan

14 Team, .5 PPR, 18 Man Roster, Rush/Rec TD = 6, Pass TD = 4, FG = 3, Start: QB, 2RB, 2WR, TE, Flex, K, D
QB: L. Jackson, T. Tagovailoa
RB: B. Robinson, K. Walker, R. Stevenson, K. Herbertl
WR: C. Olave, T. Higgins, B. Aiyuk, N. Collins, Z. Flowers, M. Mims
TE: K. Pitts, D. Njoku

HawkeyeState
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby HawkeyeState » Wed Apr 06, 2016 1:51 pm

If he legitimately takes a season off and unretires what can we realistically expect from him?
He can workout and stay in shape all he wants, but the reality is there is a big difference between in shape and football shape.
I would know from personal experience AND it's why so many players get hamstring/soft tissue injuries early in training camps. Because the stress on your body placed during 2 a days and NFL level practices day in and day out cannot be replicated in training.

Now couple this fact with the fact that he will be 31 in September and your really playing this tricky game of at what point does his athleticism really just fall of a cliff. It was declining IMO this past season. Now add another year on him and take away the football this fall and your talking about the odds being strongly against him.

If your taking the 1-2 year retirement then un-retire, now your looking at 32 year old Calvin and another season without football and another year of father time acting on his body.

The truth is that he's retired. Move on from it.
If you have deep rosters or literally there is not a soul on the WW better, hold him, hope for some kind of buzz or some poor bloke to think he's coming back and trade Calvin to that guy for $1 WW or the last pick in the rookie draft. Literally anything. He's not worth a roster spot. Literally a empty roster spot that you don't even replace a player with is more valuable than him at this point
Team 1
10 TM .5 PPR, 6 pt all TDs 1/2/3/1/2Flex
Newton, Rivers
LF, Chubb, Michel, Kerryon, Hyde, AJones, Royce F, Crowell
Adams, Cooper, Alshon, Watkins, ARob, Fuller, Doctson, Funchess, Gallup, Pettis, Valdez-Scant
Gronk, HHenry, Engram

Team 2
10 TM 1/2/3/1/1Flex 6pt all TDs .25 PPR RB, .5 PPR WR, 1 PPR TE
Wilson, Big Ben
Bell, JConner, MMack, Shady, CThompson, D'Onta Foreman, C Edmonds, B Scarborough
Julio, Nuk, Fuller, Cooks, ARob, Watkins, Cooper, SShepard, CDavis, DJ Chark
Kelce, Olsen, Andrews

Team 3
10 team, 0.5 PPR RBs WRs, 1 PPR TEs, Devy Superflex League
Carr, Goff, Falk
Barkley, Dalvin, Mixon, Michel, Ballage, MDavis, Dixon, Akers*
Hopkins, JuJu, Watkins, Fuller, Agholor, Moncrief, EQSB, Valdez-Scant, CRogers
Eifert, Ebron, JJames, JCook
1.02, 2.02, 2.06, 3.04

Played against David Johnson in HS, he was a stud back then too

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Cameron Giles » Wed Apr 06, 2016 3:49 pm

I'd just drop him and move on, but I'm sure there are plenty of people who just have to get that 3rd round pick if there's a chance he comes back.

clarion contrarion
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby clarion contrarion » Wed Apr 06, 2016 3:56 pm

KU Sucks wrote:I cut him last month in the one league I had him, but a guy in another league still has him and Lynch on the block. If I was losing both off the same team, I would holding as long as possible too............. :crazy:
I am in the same boat plus have Jgordo on that squad and it really is a hardship keeping 3 dead spots , I will have to make a call at cutdown day. Put up commissioners exempt list to a vote and it was a landslide against I abstained as commish and only peson that voted for it was the martavius owner .
.....this has been a public service announcement from forum superstar clarion contrarion
QB luck- driskell
WR ant brown evans c davis golladay godwin gordon j washington doctson watson lazard patrick henderson
RB mixon cohen chubb aaron jones hunt malcolm brown
TE eifert howard njoku
K tucker DEF pittsburgh chicago
2012 , 2014 2015 2016 2017 & 2018 ACDL Champion 5 IN A ROW 6 in 7 years- now that is dynasty!
2013 ACDL runner up
2013 2014 2017 & 2018 (Undefeated 15-0 ) WORILDS OF HURT CHAMPION
2010 2014 & 2015 7 Rings for Steeltown CHAMPION 2011 & 2013 7 rings runner up
2018 Experts Dynasty League Champion
there is no after football
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.
— Leonardo da Vinci

DynoScout
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby DynoScout » Wed Apr 06, 2016 5:23 pm

I'll attempt to take a flier on him with a cheap contract in my salary cap league. 27 roster spots.
If I can get him for 1-5% of my free agency budget I'm willing to gamble a roster spot on him.