Goirish374
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Re: Josh Gordon

Postby Goirish374 » Wed Apr 13, 2016 11:19 am

Tsunami wrote:a (kinda) positive marijuana test
and
Tsunami wrote:and now a diluted test from too much water
anyone who doesn't understand why these are the same problem just does not understand the situation.

i don't disagree with your larger point. if he did in fact manage to pass 400 days worth of tests and only chose the very last one right before reinstatement to get risky with then, yes, i agree the error feels more like just being a dumbass--and therefore probably inherently more correctable. well, at least more optimistic anyway.

but lets not pretend he just lost track of how many cases of Evian he was plowing through to stay ahead of his workouts.
Dynasty League Football Premium League Almanac:
2020 Champ: me again! (no, for reals!)
2019 Champ: me!
2018 Champ: Qazxswedcvfrtgbnhyuj
2017 Champ: Irishdoom
2016 Champ: DDT(wakelawyer)
2015 Champ: BigChiefBC

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Cameron Giles » Wed Apr 13, 2016 11:26 am

Tsunami wrote:
Friction wrote:Even if he got reinstated or gets through this latest fiasco, does any logical person really believe he won't mess up again? There is no way he sticks around for long even if he makes it onto the field this year or next. It's sad when people are mentioning ALL he might have to do is stay clean for 60-90 days. If you even have to question the fact a person might not be able to smoke weed for two or three little months, that is all you need to know about their future.
He's not making the same mistake repeatedly. He was suspended for cough syrup, a (kinda) positive marijuana test, a failed alcohol test after he thought the season was over, and now a diluted test from too much water. Meanwhile he reportedly passed 70 tests in the past year. Logic tells me that while he might not get it fully, he is improving, and more likely than not that he can pass 90 days since he did it for 400 twice already.
Stupid NFL. Why would they punish Gordon for just trying to stay healthy and hydrated?

REPTAR
Captain
Captain

Postby REPTAR » Wed Apr 13, 2016 11:34 am

His name was Josh Gordon. His name was Josh Gordon. His name was Josh Gordon.

ArrylT
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby ArrylT » Wed Apr 13, 2016 12:49 pm

Assuming Josh Gordon ever does play again in the NFL, be it this year or next year - I think his value will rebound somewhat. The way I see it, is regardless of whether or not 2013 was a fluke, it still occurred. So everyone knows his upside if all things align. Will everything align? Doubtful. But you do not buy lottery tickets because you expect to win (or at least common sense should dictate you will not), but because you MIGHT win.

Even if you take 2014 as his Floor - lets say a disinterested, semi-healthy Gordon with bad quarterbacking and no real #2 WR or TE - he STILL put up 10 PPG, which is basically good for WR4 status. Considering many leagues use 3 WR and 1-2 flex, that alone makes him usable imo. On a PPG basis Gordon outproduced the following WR in 2014 - Fitzgerald, John Brown, Crabtree, Baldwin & Hurns. Yes they all rebounded or improved in 2015 - but that is not the point - the point is that Gordons 2014 was still better than a lot of other options. So it seems very reasonable to, again assuming he DOES play again, predict he will have a floor of WR3/4 based solely on talent & opportunity. There really are not a lot of players still available in 3rd & 4th rounds that are capable of having that floor and that upside.

Looking at the 2014 season - his first game back Gordon put up 8-120. Then 7-75. Week 14 Brian Hoyer went 13 of 30 for 136 Yrds!! I am not sure exactly how much of that you can put on Gordon. Maybe he should have had more than 2-15, but every WR is going to have an off week especially when their QB went 13-30. The next week Johnny Manziel took over - and proceeded to lay a goose egg against the Bengals and went 10-18 for 80 yards. Gordon still did a 3-48 - which was pretty good considering. Finally Week XVI Hoyer & Manziel combined for 10 of 21 and 166.

Exactly how is Gordon supposed to succeed when your QBs & offensive game calling are doing that to you??? In 3 weeks they threw for LESS than 400 yards!! Eli Manning basically did that in 1 week (32-391-3). I am sorry - bash Gordons 2014 all you want - regardless of whether or not he was fully invested, fully healthy - he still put up WR 4 PPG production and certainly helped you out Weeks 12-13 before Hoyer & Manziel stunk it up.

Again I am not saying he is going to repeat 2013. I am not even saying he will return & play again - I am simply noting that based on his talent & past production, IF he gets on the field, and all it cost you was a 3rd or 4th round pick and a roster spot, you are likely getting AT WORST WR 3-4 production, and upside of WR1-2.
Please speak to clarion contrarion before considering the use of vetos..

HawkeyeState
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby HawkeyeState » Wed Apr 13, 2016 1:07 pm

He will always have that upside of that one season that will keep his dynasty value pulse alive until he either returns to the NFL or is banned for life.
Team 1
10 TM .5 PPR, 6 pt all TDs 1/2/3/1/2Flex
Newton, Rivers
LF, Chubb, Michel, Kerryon, Hyde, AJones, Royce F, Crowell
Adams, Cooper, Alshon, Watkins, ARob, Fuller, Doctson, Funchess, Gallup, Pettis, Valdez-Scant
Gronk, HHenry, Engram
1.09, 2.09, 3.09, 4.09, 5.09

Team 2
10 TM 1/2/3/1/1Flex 6pt all TDs .25 PPR RB, .5 PPR WR, 1 PPR TE
Wilson, Big Ben
Bell, JConner, MMack, Shady, CThompson, D'Onta Foreman, C Edmonds, B Scarborough
Julio, Nuk, Fuller, Cooks, ARob, Watkins, Cooper, SShepard, CDavis, DJ Chark
Kelce, Olsen, Andrews
1.09, 2.09, 3.09, 4.09, 5.09

Team 3
10 team, 0.5 PPR RBs WRs, 1 PPR TEs, Devy Superflex League
Carr, Goff, Falk
Barkley, Dalvin, Mixon, Michel, Ballage, MDavis, Dixon, Akers*
Hopkins, JuJu, Watkins, Fuller, Agholor, Moncrief, EQSB, Valdez-Scant, CRogers
Eifert, Ebron, JJames, JCook
1.02, 2.02, 2.06, 3.04

Played against David Johnson in HS, he was a stud back then too

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Wed Apr 13, 2016 1:31 pm

REPTAR wrote:His name was Josh Gordon. His name was Josh Gordon. His name was Josh Gordon.
Hahaha! Nice reference. :thumbup:
"You're a creep. You got caught.." -Dan Patrick

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Wed Apr 13, 2016 1:34 pm

ArrylT wrote:Assuming Josh Gordon ever does play again in the NFL, be it this year or next year - I think his value will rebound somewhat. The way I see it, is regardless of whether or not 2013 was a fluke, it still occurred. So everyone knows his upside if all things align. Will everything align? Doubtful. But you do not buy lottery tickets because you expect to win (or at least common sense should dictate you will not), but because you MIGHT win.

Even if you take 2014 as his Floor - lets say a disinterested, semi-healthy Gordon with bad quarterbacking and no real #2 WR or TE - he STILL put up 10 PPG, which is basically good for WR4 status. Considering many leagues use 3 WR and 1-2 flex, that alone makes him usable imo. On a PPG basis Gordon outproduced the following WR in 2014 - Fitzgerald, John Brown, Crabtree, Baldwin & Hurns. Yes they all rebounded or improved in 2015 - but that is not the point - the point is that Gordons 2014 was still better than a lot of other options. So it seems very reasonable to, again assuming he DOES play again, predict he will have a floor of WR3/4 based solely on talent & opportunity. There really are not a lot of players still available in 3rd & 4th rounds that are capable of having that floor and that upside.

Looking at the 2014 season - his first game back Gordon put up 8-120. Then 7-75. Week 14 Brian Hoyer went 13 of 30 for 136 Yrds!! I am not sure exactly how much of that you can put on Gordon. Maybe he should have had more than 2-15, but every WR is going to have an off week especially when their QB went 13-30. The next week Johnny Manziel took over - and proceeded to lay a goose egg against the Bengals and went 10-18 for 80 yards. Gordon still did a 3-48 - which was pretty good considering. Finally Week XVI Hoyer & Manziel combined for 10 of 21 and 166.

Exactly how is Gordon supposed to succeed when your QBs & offensive game calling are doing that to you??? In 3 weeks they threw for LESS than 400 yards!! Eli Manning basically did that in 1 week (32-391-3). I am sorry - bash Gordons 2014 all you want - regardless of whether or not he was fully invested, fully healthy - he still put up WR 4 PPG production and certainly helped you out Weeks 12-13 before Hoyer & Manziel stunk it up.

Again I am not saying he is going to repeat 2013. I am not even saying he will return & play again - I am simply noting that based on his talent & past production, IF he gets on the field, and all it cost you was a 3rd or 4th round pick and a roster spot, you are likely getting AT WORST WR 3-4 production, and upside of WR1-2.
You do mean A WR3-4, and not THE WR3-4, right? Because if you are saying the worst possible scenario is he finishes as the WR4 if he plays, well, that's just ridiculous.
"You're a creep. You got caught.." -Dan Patrick

Tsunami
All Pro
All Pro

Postby Tsunami » Wed Apr 13, 2016 1:35 pm

Shoreline Steamers wrote:
Tsunami wrote:He's not making the same mistake repeatedly. He was suspended for cough syrup, a (kinda) positive marijuana test, a failed alcohol test after he thought the season was over, and now a diluted test from too much water. Meanwhile he reportedly passed 70 tests in the past year. Logic tells me that while he might not get it fully, he is improving, and more likely than not that he can pass 90 days since he did it for 400 twice already.
I'd just like to point out Tsunami that when an individual fails a drug test due to "too much water" it's because they're trying to mask/hide something. The league would have notified Gordon of his appointment to be tested, and he showed up with a ton of liquid in his system. It's not rational to think that he was just re-hydrating after an intense Instagram workout. He knew he'd fail the test, tried to dilute his urine to pass, and went too far. Additionally, there was marijuana detected in his sample though obviously below the threshold to trigger a "positive" test due to the dilution.

Either Josh Gordon is a second-hand smoke magnet, or he's not playing by the rules. I don't trust him to do so moving forward, but respect your stance if you do.
I have googled the diluted tests and I'm not convinced that it can't or doesn't happen by accident. There are a number of other NFL players who have had diluted test, including Charles Rogers, Zach Mettenberger, Telvin Smith, Christian Jones, Timmy Jernigan, DT Anthony Johnson, Seantrel Henderson, Torrie Cox, etc.

I understand that when you have a player with a long history of marijuana use that the knee-jerk reaction is to assume the worst, but I remain open minded for a few reasons: First, I understand that marijuana isn't considered a chemically addictive substance. If he was recurrently testing positive for heroin I would have sold him by now. Second, I think if it was obvious to the NFL that (1) he had been using marijuana, and (2) he tried to purposefully dilute the test, then they wouldn't be saying he might still be reinstated in a couple months. It seems like they are leaning towards leniency when they really don't have to, and this makes me optimistic.

AZK
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby AZK » Wed Apr 13, 2016 1:53 pm

Tsunami wrote:There are a number of other NFL players who have had diluted test, including Charles Rogers, Zach Mettenberger, Telvin Smith, Christian Jones, Timmy Jernigan, DT Anthony Johnson, Seantrel Henderson, Torrie Cox, etc.
Ha didn't the majority of those guys have question marks about their off-field drug related activities in college. Not a great choice of examples for diluted pee tests there.
Ainslie-Rachlin Law, "Our decisions... are guided by the perceived values at the moment of the decision - not by the potential final value."

zjdlmt
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby zjdlmt » Wed Apr 13, 2016 5:18 pm

Friction
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Friction » Wed Apr 13, 2016 5:28 pm

Has he tried the secnd hand smoke BS that some athletes have attempted to use in the past? That one always gives me a laugh. You can hot box a car for hours and still pass a piss test. Contact high my bleep. That's almost a big of a myth as MN nice is.
Valhalla's Father
12 Team 1PPR 1QB/1-3RB/1-3 WR/1TE/1DST
QB:Brady
RB: Barkley, Chubb, Jacobs, Henry, Mack, Etienne
WR: Nuk, Thielen, Cooks, Diontae, Pittman, Gallup
TE: Henry

rock-hammerson
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby rock-hammerson » Wed Apr 13, 2016 5:59 pm

Does this guy ever staaaaaap!!! He's been in the headlines for all the wrong reasons in a very pivotal time period for himself.
10 team ppr 32 man rosters when season starts. 1QB- 2RB- 3WR- 1TE- 2Flex and k/def
QB- Luck, Winston, Glennon
RB- Gurley, Lynch, J. Howard, Gore, Rawls, Prosise, CJ Anderson, J. Williams(BUF), Lasco, DJ Foster, M. Brown, Perkins
WR- OBJ, Hopkins, Evans, Michael Thomas, Pryor, Gordon, Snead, Latimer, Mitchell, Spruce, Turner, K. Bell, Billingsly, Carter, Campanaro
TE- Gronkowski, Rudolph, M. Williams, Swoope, Gathers
K- Gostkowski
DST- Carolina

DrNoish
All Pro
All Pro

Postby DrNoish » Wed Apr 13, 2016 6:38 pm

Tsunami wrote:
Shoreline Steamers wrote:
Tsunami wrote:He's not making the same mistake repeatedly. He was suspended for cough syrup, a (kinda) positive marijuana test, a failed alcohol test after he thought the season was over, and now a diluted test from too much water. Meanwhile he reportedly passed 70 tests in the past year. Logic tells me that while he might not get it fully, he is improving, and more likely than not that he can pass 90 days since he did it for 400 twice already.
I'd just like to point out Tsunami that when an individual fails a drug test due to "too much water" it's because they're trying to mask/hide something. The league would have notified Gordon of his appointment to be tested, and he showed up with a ton of liquid in his system. It's not rational to think that he was just re-hydrating after an intense Instagram workout. He knew he'd fail the test, tried to dilute his urine to pass, and went too far. Additionally, there was marijuana detected in his sample though obviously below the threshold to trigger a "positive" test due to the dilution.

Either Josh Gordon is a second-hand smoke magnet, or he's not playing by the rules. I don't trust him to do so moving forward, but respect your stance if you do.
I have googled the diluted tests and I'm not convinced that it can't or doesn't happen by accident. There are a number of other NFL players who have had diluted test, including Charles Rogers, Zach Mettenberger, Telvin Smith, Christian Jones, Timmy Jernigan, DT Anthony Johnson, Seantrel Henderson, Torrie Cox, etc.
What about the trace amounts of marijuana that was in the test? The big news was it was diluted, but even with that it had traces of marijuana. We know it entered his system.
12 Team PPR 1QB - 1RB - 1WR - 2RB/WR - 1TE

KUPP the Balls
QB- Herbert, Hurts, Newton
RB- Montgomery, RoJo, Lindsay, Michel, Gurley, Vaughn, Foreman
WR- Lamb, Hopkins, Beckham, Metcalf, Cooks
TE- Kelce, Ertz
Picks 1.11, 2.04, 2022 1st

Phaded
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Phaded » Wed Apr 13, 2016 6:53 pm

Watching the diluted test get defended is hilarious, I'm sorry but it is.

If it was just water there would have been NO trace amounts of weed.

Just a pothead trying to pass his piss test by drinking a ton of water and obviously not succeeding. He clearly was worried he would not pass but likely did not know about the diluted sample rule and screwed himself.

We are talking about a player who has documented drug issues for nearly six years (and counting).

slaughterrt
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby slaughterrt » Wed Apr 13, 2016 7:04 pm

DrNoish wrote:What about the trace amounts of marijuana that was in the test? The big news was it was diluted, but even with that it had traces of marijuana. We know it entered his system.
Duh...he was obviously framed by mean old Mr. Goodell. Joshy boy was just heading back home from donating his time to a soup kitchen when three black Cadillacs blocked him in. Roger and his thug buddies HELD Joshy boy down and MADE him inhale.

Roger: You gotta inhale sometime Josh, and when you do, I WILL WIN AGAIN!

Josh: NOOOOOOOO

(Johnny Manziel slowly creeps out of Goodell's Cadillac and walks over to Josh)
Johnny: Now we can be roommates FOREVER!

Josh: NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO