Why do beat reporters appear to be wrong about everything?

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
Dynasty DeLorean
Degenerate
Degenerate

Why do beat reporters appear to be wrong about everything?

Postby Dynasty DeLorean » Wed Sep 16, 2015 2:55 pm

I'm being a little facetious, but shouldn't these people be the most plugged in? Some of their calls are hilariously bad. Like how they would be "shocked" if Hoyer didn't start game 2. Or how Andre Williams was going to take Rashad Jennings starting job. All sorts of wacky things.

Telperion
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Re: Why do beat reporters appear to be wrong about everythin

Postby Telperion » Wed Sep 16, 2015 3:01 pm

If you remember that the primary goal of all news media is to generate traffic which drives advertising revenue, there's little incentive to be accurate.
- Don't waste your time on late round NFL draft picks: Success rates by NFL draft round and speed.
- Team(s): Team 1

ericanadian
Legend
Legend

Postby ericanadian » Wed Sep 16, 2015 3:17 pm

There's more incentive to be outrageous than accurate.
All I Der Is Win - 16 Team IDP League (Pass TD 6pts)

QB - Stafford, Stroud, Tune
RB - Swift, Hall, Penny, Bigsby, Ford
WR - Pittman, Olave, Di. Johnson, G. Wilson, J. Williams, Metchie, Robinson, M. Wilson
TE - Okonkwo, Schoonmaker
LB - Brooks, R. Smith, Phillips
DL - Crosby, Allen, Simmons
DB - D. James, Baker, Delpit
K - Just a stupid kicker

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Cameron Giles » Wed Sep 16, 2015 3:31 pm

It's easy. Coaches do not reveal their gameplan to reporters, yet websites like Rotoworld frequently pretend in their blurbs that they do. Reporters are guessing just like the rest of us, except they're in position to make a more sophisticated guess. It's still a guess either way and those predictions can come with a hidden bias, since we have no idea what each reporter thinks of a player.

thebeast
Legend
Legend

Postby thebeast » Wed Sep 16, 2015 3:31 pm

Clicks and followers are king. If you call it before it happens people remember that and follow you despite all the misses.

Dynasty DeLorean
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Dynasty DeLorean » Wed Sep 16, 2015 3:43 pm

Telperion wrote:If you remember that the primary goal of all news media is to generate traffic which drives advertising revenue, there's little incentive to be accurate.
Yeah I guess sometimes I forget that.

snitchinsider
Role Player
Role Player

Postby snitchinsider » Thu Sep 17, 2015 6:48 pm

Because people can be good at their job or bad at their job. Some just report facts. Few watch college game tape and scout out players, because that's not their job, their job is often to just regurgitate information given to them or inferred from practices.
Hopkins elitist.
Abdullah apologist.
Ajayi truther.
Bortles drum banger.

Phaded
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Phaded » Thu Sep 17, 2015 7:03 pm

ericanadian wrote:There's more incentive to be outrageous than accurate.
And this is why I don't trust the word of beat reporters.

Kierke
Rookie
Rookie

Postby Kierke » Thu Sep 17, 2015 7:12 pm

Also, beat reporters jobs are dependent upon their access to staff and players. Therefore, they are incentivized to say whatever it is they're told by the staff/players.

ninotoreS
Legend
Legend

Postby ninotoreS » Mon Sep 21, 2015 9:40 pm

This is one gripe thread I'll join in with.

The locally based reporters for like half of the NFL's teams seem to be no more clued in than the average internet random. Noticed this for years. It bugs me a lot.

I've come to the conclusion that the journalism profession, particularly when it comes to entertainment (i.e. I include sports in this category), has a really low competency floor. Communications isn't a very challenging college major, and unfortunately it shows.
"I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit. It’s the only way to be sure."
- Sun Tzu, 469 BCE

Rye300
Role Player
Role Player

Postby Rye300 » Tue Sep 22, 2015 7:54 am

Depends on the beat reporter for me. When Jim Wyatt was the beat reporter for the Titans he always have great info and blurbs. Usually was spot on. Some just aren't as good as others, that's life.
14 Team, Year 2 (4pt Pass TD/-2 INT, Non-PPR. 5 pts. sack, INT. 4 pts. Forced fumble. 2pts. Fumble Recovery. 1.2 pts. Solo tackle, 0.5 assisted tackle)

2013 & 2014 - Division Champ
2013 - Runner-Up
2014 - Champion

1 QB, 1 RB, 2 WR, 1 TE, 1 RB/WR, 1 WR/TE, 2 DB, 2 DL, 2 LB, 2 DB/DL/LB.

QB: Russ Wilson, Foles, Mettenberger, Murray
RB: Hill, Marshawn, Tre Mason, McFadden, Turbin, Gurley, Gordon, Cobb
WR: Watkins, Beckham, Benjamin, Boldin, John Brown, Albert Wilson, Josh Gordon, DGB, Lockett, Greene, Nicks
TE: Delanie Walker, Ebron
DB: Chancellor, Honey Badger, Sherman, Vaccaro, McDougland
DL: Ansah, JPP, Casey
LB: Kuechly, Mack, Mosley, Zach Brown/b], Ford, Foster, Dawson, Mauga

45 Man Pre-Season Rosters. 40 Man In-Season Rosters. 32 Keepers.

2015 Picks
1.01, 1.08, 2.11, 2.13, 3.5

HereForTheComments
Captain
Captain

Postby HereForTheComments » Tue Sep 22, 2015 2:59 pm

I think it just depends on the team and how open they are to the public. I am sure being the beat reporter for the Cowboys is pretty easy since Jerry Jones loves to talk. On the flipside, I would hate to be the beat reporter for the Patriots..... that is a true guessing game lol
Team 1: 10th Year: 10 Team, PPR
2014: 3rd, 2015: 2nd, 2016: League Champion, 2017: 7th, 2018: 3rd, 2019: 5th, 2020: League Champion, 2021: 4th, 2022: 5th

QB: Aaron Rodgers Matthew Stafford, Brock Purdy
RB: Tony Pollard, Cam Akers, Ezekiel Elliott, Javonte Williams, Kyren Williams, Chuba Hubbard
WR: CeeDee Lamb, Amon-Ra St. Brown, Allen Lazard , Michael Gallup, Donavan Peoples-Jones, Tyler Boyd, Romeo Doubs, Corey Davis, Marvin Jones, VDS
TE: Dalton Shultz, Mike Gesicki

2019 picks: 1.1, 2.3, 3.5
2024 picks:
Round 1: (1)
Round 2: (1)
Round 3: (1)

dynastyninja
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby dynastyninja » Tue Sep 22, 2015 3:24 pm

Journalism as a whole has declined. When I was younger (don't worry about how long ago that was) a journalist's primary job was to present the facts in an accurate way through thorough fact checking.

Nowadays there is a much heavier focus on opinion and speed. Whatever gets people watching. First Take is a perfect example of what has happened to journalism. People only want outrageous statements that they can tweet and agree or disagree with.

Is Trent Richardson the worst running back ever? Obviously not, but First Take is glad whoever it is said that. That generated a lot of buzz for them and made them more money.