Help! Last minute league change!

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
Bot101
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Re: Help! Last minute league change!

Postby Bot101 » Mon Aug 24, 2015 6:17 pm

Interesting point. I have 6 WRs in its top tier, 2 RBs in its top tier, and Gronk all alone in tier 1 for TEs. That is some food for thought for sure lol.

Ray Finkle
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Ray Finkle » Mon Aug 24, 2015 6:32 pm

YMaster wrote:My strategy was based off what I have read and listened to about dynasty strategy, acquire the most depth at the most important positions of WR and RB. Dont take a QB or TE early unless its Gronk, and I had Julio ranked #1 overall on my board. Gronk is #6 or #7. As far as QB goes, unless they get drafted incredibly early, I was targeting Rivers, Romo, E. Manning in the 7-9 rounds. For TEs I typically went after a proven vet (Walker) and an upside guy who has breakout potential (Eifert).

You really don't want to apply all the full on dynasty strategies and rankings you find here to your keeper league. A 7 keeper league is much closer to a redraft than a dynasty in my opinion. Getting longevity out of every pick isn't as important. You will find yourself turning over your roster quicker than you think. This draft will be the last time you see a RB worth a damn or a Gronk for a long time. Every RB and the top 5 TEs will be kept every season. I promise you will be able to pull decent WR out of your draft every year. You can't go wrong with Gronk, Julio or Leveon for that matter but after that I would try to not get caught up in going all youth and WR like most dynasty strategy suggests.

Bot101
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby Bot101 » Mon Aug 24, 2015 6:50 pm

@Ray Finkle, thats pretty much why I made this thread. Ive spent 3 months diving into as much dynasty strategy and player knowledge as I could. I felt extremely prepared, but majority vote changed my league from a dynasty to a keep 7 league. I am disappointed partly cause I spent so much time getting ready for a dynasty draft.

qazxswedcvfrtgbnhyuj
Captain
Captain

Postby qazxswedcvfrtgbnhyuj » Mon Aug 24, 2015 8:44 pm

Tsunami wrote:
YMaster wrote:I will try and trade out of my 1.01 spot. But I think it might be difficult. Most people want to pick in the middle or end of the first round.
No no no take Gronkowski!
I'm with Tsunami here.
The person that won my keeper league 2 years in a row now and has been very competitive since we started was lucky enough to draft Gronk when we started and then followed that with Le'veon Bell a few years later. The combination of those 2 has been nearly unbeatable the last two season, and he's dominated despite having to rely on non-stud WRs the likes of Edelman, Boldin or Smith (not terrible by any means, but he didn't draft his WRs as high as his RBs/TE is my point).

I feel the positional advantage of Gronk is too good to pass up on in a league like that, but having said that, I wouldn't be surprised if he'd be available in the mid to late first if most of your leaguemates are new to keeper leagues. So maybe trading back a tiny bit would have some merit?

Bot101
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby Bot101 » Mon Aug 24, 2015 10:37 pm

So no one will trade any of their first second or third round picks at all lol. As a matter of fact, I have an entry for the "Insulting trade offers" thread. Someone offered me his 3rd this year and 1st next year for my 1.01 this year :lol:

Someone did offer me his 4.09 and 5.02 for my 3.01. I dont think I will accept that, what do you guys think?

Tsunami
All Pro
All Pro

Postby Tsunami » Tue Aug 25, 2015 7:23 am

YMaster wrote:So no one will trade any of their first second or third round picks at all lol. As a matter of fact, I have an entry for the "Insulting trade offers" thread. Someone offered me his 3rd this year and 1st next year for my 1.01 this year :lol:

Someone did offer me his 4.09 and 5.02 for my 3.01. I dont think I will accept that, what do you guys think?
In a keeper league you never want to trade down. Depth is always nice but you can't keep them all next year, it doesn't help you in the long run.

Bot101
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby Bot101 » Tue Aug 25, 2015 3:29 pm

Well I did trade down, but not far. I traded my 1.01, 6.10, and 9.01 for the 1.03, 4.07 and 18th rnd pick. The reason I traded back was because I think I can get Gronk or Julio later, while picking up some extra earlier round picks.

Someone just now offered me his 1.09 and 3.09 for my 1.03 and 5.01. Should I take that or refuse it? I am leaning towards refusing it. The 3.09 looks nice, and I can use it to acquire more top end talent, but its at the back of the 3rd round, and I would be trading way back in the 1st. Thoughts on this trade and the one I made earlier?

qazxswedcvfrtgbnhyuj
Captain
Captain

Postby qazxswedcvfrtgbnhyuj » Tue Aug 25, 2015 4:50 pm

I'd stick with my 1.03 at this point and assure getting who I want, unless I was very certain I knew what the rest of the people were picking and that I could get my guy at 1.09.

Bot101
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby Bot101 » Tue Aug 25, 2015 4:52 pm

qazxswedcvfrtgbnhyuj wrote:I'd stick with my 1.03 at this point and assure getting who I want, unless I was very certain I knew what the rest of the people were picking and that I could get my guy at 1.09.

You think I made a good trade with my 1.01 going back to 1.03?

qazxswedcvfrtgbnhyuj
Captain
Captain

Postby qazxswedcvfrtgbnhyuj » Tue Aug 25, 2015 4:59 pm

While I generally agre with Tsunami that not trading down is the way to go in keeper leagues, I think going from 1.01 to 1.03 is totally fine, especially since you don't seem to think that Gronk + Julio will be the first 2 picks, meaning you can still get your guy.

As for the trade itself, I don't know if you should have had to drop a full 9 rounds in the mid/late part of the draft, but overall I like the jump by 2 full rounds early for basically no cost in the first (if you still get Gronk/Julio).

Good luck - Let us know how it goes!

Bot101
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby Bot101 » Tue Aug 25, 2015 5:14 pm

qazxswedcvfrtgbnhyuj wrote:While I generally agre with Tsunami that not trading down is the way to go in keeper leagues, I think going from 1.01 to 1.03 is totally fine, especially since you don't seem to think that Gronk + Julio will be the first 2 picks, meaning you can still get your guy.

As for the trade itself, I don't know if you should have had to drop a full 9 rounds in the mid/late part of the draft, but overall I like the jump by 2 full rounds early for basically no cost in the first (if you still get Gronk/Julio).

Im not sure I understand what you mean by that? Sorry :oops:

Telperion
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby Telperion » Tue Aug 25, 2015 6:04 pm

In a keeper league a good strategy is to go studs and duds. Load up on your starting line-up then fill your bench with rookies and fliers.
- Don't waste your time on late round NFL draft picks: Success rates by NFL draft round and speed.
- Team(s): Team 1

Tsunami
All Pro
All Pro

Postby Tsunami » Tue Aug 25, 2015 7:23 pm

Trading a 6th + 9th for a 4th is a good idea. If you happen to miss out on Gronk and Julio then it wasn't so good, but the first two will probably be Bell and Lacy. That will give you a good idea of how your league is going to go, and you can adjust accordingly. I still recommend Gronk. I wouldn't do the trade down to 1.09 just because I like Gronk so much more than the other choices, but if you want a WR that would put you in a good position. If the worst happens and you don't get who you want that kind of deal looks like good value. Let us know how the first round turns out.

qazxswedcvfrtgbnhyuj
Captain
Captain

Postby qazxswedcvfrtgbnhyuj » Tue Aug 25, 2015 7:32 pm

YMaster wrote:
qazxswedcvfrtgbnhyuj wrote:While I generally agre with Tsunami that not trading down is the way to go in keeper leagues, I think going from 1.01 to 1.03 is totally fine, especially since you don't seem to think that Gronk + Julio will be the first 2 picks, meaning you can still get your guy.

Im not sure I understand what you mean by that? Sorry :oops:
I meant that in general I like the trade, because it gave you a big step up in a part of the draft that still matters greatly (6th to 4th), but that if I were in the same situation I would have hoped to not have to drop quite as far back in the later round (9th to 18th, which is a big drop) to make the deal. I still think you did fine though, because the early rounds matter most in a 7 keeper startup draft.

qazxswedcvfrtgbnhyuj
Captain
Captain

Postby qazxswedcvfrtgbnhyuj » Tue Aug 25, 2015 7:34 pm

Tsunami wrote:Trading a 6th + 9th for a 4th is a good idea. If you happen to miss out on Gronk and Julio then it wasn't so good, but the first two will probably be Bell and Lacy. That will give you a good idea of how your league is going to go, and you can adjust accordingly. I still recommend Gronk. I wouldn't do the trade down to 1.09 just because I like Gronk so much more than the other choices, but if you want a WR that would put you in a good position. If the worst happens and you don't get who you want that kind of deal looks like good value. Let us know how the first round turns out.
Agree with everything just said here. If the young RBs go 1 and 2, and you don't particularly care which of the top few WRs you get, dropping to 1.09 is fine. I'd stick with Gronk as well though.