Dealing with QB hoarders

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
Jecked
Starter
Starter

Re: Dealing with QB hoarders

Postby Jecked » Sat Aug 15, 2015 3:13 am

I had a similar situation that played out over the whole offseason, was good fun honestly.

Went into the offseason with RG3 and Alex Smith as my two QB's and people in my league smelt blood. During the Off season there were 3 teams with one more aggressive constantly offering me trades for Cobb, Sanders, Hilton and Nelson for QB's. I kept turning them down but they still came back with one basically telling telling me how dumb i was for not accepting the deals because i had Griffin and Smith.

This carried on during the draft when another two teams got involved, first one guy (Call him team A) offered me Brady for my 8th pick and Davante Adams which i turned down and i got the why are you not accepting this trade you have crap QB's message. I made an Offer of Sanders for the 9th pick owner (call him team B) as i was high on Agoholor who was available but he wanted Cobb or Nelson which i turned. He eventually said he would trade Sanders for the 9th pick so i put the offer through but got no reply. He instead (who has Matt Ryan and Romo) traded the 9th pick, a third rounder and Roddy White to the guy who offered me Brady (team A) for Brady and Blount. He never tells me he was accepting another deal.

I'm pretty sure he made that trade as part of a plan to get Cobb as he immediately offered me Brady for Cobb probably thinking i was desperate at QB so he would have better chance of getting Cobb but i turned him down. We then have a long back and fourth where he offers me all 3 of his QB's for Sanders Cobb and Nelson which i turn down. He (team B) must have realised his plan was not going to work and he now has too many QB's so trades Matt Ryan and 6th for Roddy white for a 4th back to Team A the guy he traded for Brady with who initially tried to trade me Brady.

I get on with the draft and pick up both Sam Bradford and Mark Sanchez so i'm content with this although roster space is tight and eventually i won't be able to hold both as i will need to pick up a defense and kicker, but i was not done getting offers.

I draft Justin Hardy and Team A who now has Ryan and Cutler offers me deals for Cutler that involve Hardy as part of the deal, not bad offers but i'm just not interested in Cutler. I say i will do a deal with Ryan but that doesn't happen.

After the draft Team A makes a deal where he gets Brees as part of a deal and i now get offers for Brees and Cutler involving Cobb, Hardy, Duke Johnson and Perriman plus picks but i turn them down but make it clear that i would deal for Ryan but won't overpay for a QB.

Eventually me and Team A settle on a deal where i get Matt Ryan and Max Williams for Martellus Bennett, Justin Hardy and a 3rd round pick which i was happy with.

And i ended up trading Emmanuel Sanders for a future first to Team B, could end being a bad trade but i have Hilton, Cobb and Nelson and i like my young WR's in Davante Adams, Latimer, Moncrief, Perriman and Rueben Randle so thought it was a decent deal to make as i would have had to drop someone for nothing.

Pac_Eddy
Legend
Legend

Postby Pac_Eddy » Sat Aug 15, 2015 8:09 am

Jecked wrote:...Eventually me and Team A settle on a deal where i get Matt Ryan and Max Williams for Martellus Bennett, Justin Hardy and a 3rd round pick which i was happy with.
This is quite a story of patience and sticking to your player values. Well done.

@hailtoyourvictor, keep us posted on how your QB search goes. Interesting topic.
Not all that counts can be counted. Not all that can be counted counts.

hailtoyourvictor
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby hailtoyourvictor » Sat Aug 15, 2015 8:12 am

Yeah, that was a very cool story. I'll try to be as patient as you. There's no point in losing a lot of value if it isn't a trade that is going to put me over the top.

The GM
Captain
Captain

Postby The GM » Sat Aug 15, 2015 12:24 pm

hailtoyourvictor wrote:Yeah, that was a very cool story. I'll try to be as patient as you. There's no point in losing a lot of value if it isn't a trade that is going to put me over the top.
Exactly. Even though it does not happen a lot QB's do show up. Several options have been listed in this thread and in rookie drafts QB's usually do not go high.

tdorbust
Role Player
Role Player

Postby tdorbust » Sat Aug 15, 2015 1:24 pm

I sure as heck would not let Brady go for Wallace in any circumstance even if I was short a starting WR.

Wallace is 29 (about to hit that 30 wall), plays for a team that is run first (even more now with AP back), and has a very young QB who could still fall on his face like Freeman did in TB.

Brady on the other hand possibly has another 2-3+ years as a top 10 QB and could even come back into stride as a top 5 QB. I really dont see why someone would trade him.

In the end the OP is going to be the clear cut winner in any trade here. A QB upgrade to Brady is going to drastically increase his chances of winning while Wallace is really not going to do much. A better offer would be a combo of WRs for a QB. The OP keeps asking how people work with QB hoarders and everyone keeps saying look elsewhere... The other issue is that the QBs all have a question mark but if they are answered they could bust out to be a QB1 moving forward.
Go Pack Go!

hailtoyourvictor
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby hailtoyourvictor » Sat Aug 15, 2015 1:41 pm

packseasontix wrote:I sure as heck would not let Brady go for Wallace in any circumstance even if I was short a starting WR.

Wallace is 29 (about to hit that 30 wall), plays for a team that is run first (even more now with AP back), and has a very young QB who could still fall on his face like Freeman did in TB.

Brady on the other hand possibly has another 2-3+ years as a top 10 QB and could even come back into stride as a top 5 QB. I really dont see why someone would trade him.

In the end the OP is going to be the clear cut winner in any trade here. A QB upgrade to Brady is going to drastically increase his chances of winning while Wallace is really not going to do much. A better offer would be a combo of WRs for a QB. The OP keeps asking how people work with QB hoarders and everyone keeps saying look elsewhere... The other issue is that the QBs all have a question mark but if they are answered they could bust out to be a QB1 moving forward.
Have you read the thread? I assume you have because you cite the good advice others have given. I'm confused though, because you continue to act like my issue with the hoarder was him not accepting Wallace for Brady. No. The issue was the he wouldn't give up Kaepernick for anything less than Julio Jones to a different owner and then wanted Demayrius Thomas from me for Brady. Even Gisele Bundchen wouldn't trade Demayrius Thomas for Tom Brady.

That being said:
Wallace was the #16 WR in a league that starts 36 WR.
Brady was the #9 QB in a league that starts 12 QB.
Wallace is going at least 2 rounds ahead of Brady per Dynasty League Football and Dynasty Football Warehouse ADP.
Brady is 38 years old and is going to miss over 25% of the 2015 fantasy football season.

When an owner with 5 QBs posts on the league message board that he needs a WR and wants to give up a QB, a starting offer of Wallace for Brady is far from as insulting as you are implying it is. I have no problem with anyone saying that Brady is more valuable than Wallace, but please stop acting like it was some terrible offer.

Typhus
Role Player
Role Player

Postby Typhus » Sat Aug 15, 2015 1:50 pm

50 man roster is the problem, probably already mentioned, but I didnt have the time to go through this entire thread.
With that many roster spots, owners can totally drain the waiver wire, and play defense.
I think the commish fell short on this oversight.

The GM
Captain
Captain

Postby The GM » Sat Aug 15, 2015 1:52 pm

hailtoyourvictor wrote: Have you read the thread? I assume you have because you cite the good advice others have given. I'm confused though, because you continue to act like my issue with the hoarder was him not accepting Wallace for Brady. No. The issue was the he wouldn't give up Kaepernick for anything less than Julio Jones to a different owner and then wanted Demayrius Thomas from me for Brady. Even Gisele Bundchen wouldn't trade Demayrius Thomas for Tom Brady.

That being said:
Wallace was the #16 WR in a league that starts 36 WR.
Brady was the #9 QB in a league that starts 12 QB.
Wallace is going at least 2 rounds ahead of Brady per Dynasty League Football and Dynasty Football Warehouse ADP.
Brady is 38 years old and is going to miss over 25% of the 2015 fantasy football season.

When an owner with 5 QBs posts on the league message board that he needs a WR and wants to give up a QB, a starting offer of Wallace for Brady is far from as insulting as you are implying it is. I have no problem with anyone saying that Brady is more valuable than Wallace, but please stop acting like it was some terrible offer.
I have read the thread and agree with his assessment. The fact that you post Wallace stats further confirms it. Guess what? Those stats do not matter. Since then Wallace has changed teams and has had rumors of quitting on his team multiple times come out.

Just because you think it is a good trade does not mean that it is. You have received good advice in this thread but you have also been rude and I think if you came at me and started telling me about why I should do a trade I would only deal with you for a premium.

hailtoyourvictor
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby hailtoyourvictor » Sat Aug 15, 2015 2:28 pm

When did I come after someone telling them why they should do a trade? You keep forgetting that he was the one that came out publicly looking for a WR. I simply offered a WR2/3 for a low end, 38 year old, QB1 in a start 1 QB league. Startup ADP tells us that the offer isn't insulting, despite you and the packer fan insisting that it was. There are a handful of respectable posters on here that are saying Wallace > Brady and then several others saying that Wallace < Brady. It's not like there is this consensus opinion that a Wallace for Brady offer is off base, let alone insulting like you claim it is.

But, for the umpteenth time: I have NO issue with that trade being rejected. I never said I did and I never tried to tell that owner why he should do it. The issue comes from his asking price to give up a QB being ridiculous (Julio Jones for Kaepernick to a different owner, Demayrius Thomas for Brady to me).

voiceofunreason
MVP
MVP

Postby voiceofunreason » Sat Aug 15, 2015 9:30 pm

M-Dub wrote:By my count, six of the 12 teams in this league have five or more QBs, including the OP. If it's not uncommon to carry five QBs, you can't blame this guy for carrying five viable ones. The problem isn't with the "hoarder," it's with the ridiculous roster sizes.
There's different ways to play. None of my leagues have rosters that big but there's no starters on waivers in any of them. It's dynasty, not redraft. You have to plan for the future and build your team, not pick somebody up off waivers because he has a good matchup that week. I like a variety of leagues but I don't see a problem with basically eliminating waivers.

M-Dub
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby M-Dub » Sat Aug 15, 2015 9:56 pm

voiceofunreason wrote:
M-Dub wrote:By my count, six of the 12 teams in this league have five or more QBs, including the OP. If it's not uncommon to carry five QBs, you can't blame this guy for carrying five viable ones. The problem isn't with the "hoarder," it's with the ridiculous roster sizes.
There's different ways to play. None of my leagues have rosters that big but there's no starters on waivers in any of them. It's dynasty, not redraft. You have to plan for the future and build your team, not pick somebody up off waivers because he has a good matchup that week. I like a variety of leagues but I don't see a problem with basically eliminating waivers.
Maybe I should've put the word "problem" in quotation marks too, but my point stands. It seems disingenuous to refer to this guy as a "hoarder" just because his five QBs are better as a group than everyone else's four or five QBs. I think one dude even had eight QBs. Heh.

You are right that there are different ways to play. I personally prefer a game with shallower rosters that rewards research and keen roster management, versus a league with deep rosters that rewards hoarding veterans and cornering the market on certain positions. But different strokes for different folks. I was just pointing out that the OP's frustrations are misdirected.
Both are 12-team 1QB PPR dynasties

🦬PRIME🦬
QB: Hurts, Howell
RB: Mixon, Jones, Sanders, Dobbins, Akers, Roschon, Dowdle, Kelley
WR: Nuk, Godwin, Cooper, Lockett, Flowers, Chark, Collins, Hollins, Tillman, Tolbert
TE: Hockenson, Chig, Trautman
Taxi: Willis, Z. White, M. Mims, T. Palmer

Hull Awaits
$450 cap, 60 contract years

QB: Lawrence $5/3, Richardson $5/5, Minshew $1/0, Jones $1/0, Heinicke $1/0, Tyrod $1/0
RB: Achane $4/4, Warren $2/4, Roschon $7/5, Dillon $4/1, Hubbard $2/1, Kelley $1/0
WR: Nuk $78/1, MT $25/1, M. Williams $1/0, JSN $21/5, Reed $4/5, Rice $4/5, M. Wilson $2/5
TE: Thomas $1/0, Hill $1/0, Parham $1/0

danes1212
Role Player
Role Player

Postby danes1212 » Sat Aug 15, 2015 10:58 pm

I don't have time to read all the responses, but from the few I've read I agree. Definitely stick with what you got, draft QB, and maybe pick up mark Sanchez now if available.

hailtoyourvictor
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby hailtoyourvictor » Sun Aug 16, 2015 1:24 am

M-Dub wrote:
voiceofunreason wrote:

Maybe I should've put the word "problem" in quotation marks too, but my point stands. It seems disingenuous to refer to this guy as a "hoarder" just because his five QBs are better as a group than everyone else's four or five QBs. I think one dude even had eight QBs. Heh.

You are right that there are different ways to play. I personally prefer a game with shallower rosters that rewards research and keen roster management, versus a league with deep rosters that rewards hoarding veterans and cornering the market on certain positions. But different strokes for different folks. I was just pointing out that the OP's frustrations are misdirected.
No one is referring to the guy as a hoarder "just because his five QBs are better as a group" than others. The hoarding is because he has set unrealistic asking prices for these QBs. When you have 5 starting QBs in a 1 QB league and you won't give Colin Kaepernick up for anything less than Julio Jones (or Brady for Demayrius Thomas), you are hoarding.

Again: It's not "just because his five QBs are better as a group", so please stop saying that as if that is what I've implied.

M-Dub
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby M-Dub » Sun Aug 16, 2015 9:55 am

hailtoyourvictor wrote:No one is referring to the guy as a hoarder "just because his five QBs are better as a group" than others. The hoarding is because he has set unrealistic asking prices for these QBs. When you have 5 starting QBs in a 1 QB league and you won't give Colin Kaepernick up for anything less than Julio Jones (or Brady for Demayrius Thomas), you are hoarding.

Again: It's not "just because his five QBs are better as a group", so please stop saying that as if that is what I've implied.
Maybe we're just arguing semantics here, but when I watch a TV show about hoarders, they don't just hoard a reasonable amount of valuable stuff, they hoard a ridiculous amount of mostly worthless stuff. By the commonly accepted definition, this guy isn't a hoarder. If anyone, it's the dude with eight QBs.

Regarding your point in bold, why should any of us assume that's the case? We're nearly seven pages deep in this thread and the only offers you've posted involving this guy are:

Kaep for Julio (ridiculous)
DT for Brady (ridiculous)
Wallace for Brady (not ridiculous, but as many others have pointed out, probably a slight undersell when you have the market cornered to such a degree)

Have you or anyone else actually tried negotiating with him? If so, I certainly haven't read anything in here about those attempts. There's a difference between an (admittedly lopsided) opening offer and not taking anything less than that. But it seems like you were so offended by his opening offer that you just gave up and started a thread to vent about it.
Both are 12-team 1QB PPR dynasties

🦬PRIME🦬
QB: Hurts, Howell
RB: Mixon, Jones, Sanders, Dobbins, Akers, Roschon, Dowdle, Kelley
WR: Nuk, Godwin, Cooper, Lockett, Flowers, Chark, Collins, Hollins, Tillman, Tolbert
TE: Hockenson, Chig, Trautman
Taxi: Willis, Z. White, M. Mims, T. Palmer

Hull Awaits
$450 cap, 60 contract years

QB: Lawrence $5/3, Richardson $5/5, Minshew $1/0, Jones $1/0, Heinicke $1/0, Tyrod $1/0
RB: Achane $4/4, Warren $2/4, Roschon $7/5, Dillon $4/1, Hubbard $2/1, Kelley $1/0
WR: Nuk $78/1, MT $25/1, M. Williams $1/0, JSN $21/5, Reed $4/5, Rice $4/5, M. Wilson $2/5
TE: Thomas $1/0, Hill $1/0, Parham $1/0

Mephistopheles
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Mephistopheles » Sun Aug 16, 2015 11:32 am

M-Dub wrote:
hailtoyourvictor wrote:No one is referring to the guy as a hoarder "just because his five QBs are better as a group" than others. The hoarding is because he has set unrealistic asking prices for these QBs. When you have 5 starting QBs in a 1 QB league and you won't give Colin Kaepernick up for anything less than Julio Jones (or Brady for Demayrius Thomas), you are hoarding.

Maybe we're just arguing semantics here, but when I watch a TV show about hoarders, they don't just hoard a reasonable amount of valuable stuff, they hoard a ridiculous amount of mostly worthless stuff. By the commonly accepted definition, this guy isn't a hoarder. If anyone, it's the dude with eight QBs.

Regarding your point in bold, why should any of us assume that's the case? We're nearly seven pages deep in this thread and the only offers you've posted involving this guy are:

Kaep for Julio (ridiculous)
DT for Brady (ridiculous)
Wallace for Brady (not ridiculous, but as many others have pointed out, probably a slight undersell when you have the market cornered to such a degree)

Have you or anyone else actually tried negotiating with him? If so, I certainly haven't read anything in here about those attempts. There's a difference between an (admittedly lopsided) opening offer and not taking anything less than that. But it seems like you were so offended by his opening offer that you just gave up and started a thread to vent about it.

Unless I'm reading something wrong, the OP did counter with the (more than reasonable) Wallace/Brady offer. And with the WR's that guy has, he should have snap accepted that counter. He's looking at Dwayne Bowe and Kenny Britt as his WR2 and 3 behind Kelvin Benjamin. He isn't going to get a better offer for a 40 y.o. QB who's going to miss 1/4 of the season. But that's his loss and his own stupidity, not the OP's.

In a 4 pt per pass TD league, I wouldn't even give Wallace to get a QB on his team, let alone Brady. Matt Ryan, maybe. And I would certainly never trade an elite level player like Julio or DT for a QB except as part of a package, maybe. But it would have to be a package where I got a hell of a lot more than the QB.

To the OP, I would roll with Bortles and Palmer, maybe swing a deal for a 3rd for Eli or Flacco or Romo or pick up Tyrod Taylor. You can stream two of those guys and Grayson gives you a lotto ticket for the future.
PSA - Haggling is NOT the same as negotiating.