"bum", "garbage", and "sucks"

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
kwade7575
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

"bum", "garbage", and "sucks"

Postby kwade7575 » Tue Aug 11, 2015 4:41 pm

I have trouble understanding how professional athletes are referred to as bums or garbage by the average fan. I mean I certainly let it slip in frustration too, so I am just as bad as everyone else. It just seems to me that even Mark Sanchez at his lowest moment with his butt fumble is STILL a better football player in that moment than you or I could ever dream of being. The nature of fantasy football is to, of course, assess and analyze players but I think more appropriate words can be used in our analysis. Not trying to be preachy, as I do this too, I am just was curious if anyone else has any thoughts or notices the hypocrisy in brutal critiques of players.
The Vaders 10-team .5PPR QB/RB/WR/WR/TE/Superflex/Flex/Flex
QB - C.Wentz, A. Luck
RB - S. Michel, N. Chubb, R. Jones, D.Murray, S.Ware, B.Powell, Du.Johnson
WR - D.Hopkins, S.Watkins, A.Cooper, M.Lee, D. Parker
TE - Z.Ertz, J. Reed

Saskatchewan Roughriders 16-team .5PPR QB/RB/RB/WR/WR/FLEX/FLEX/FLEX/DEF/K Orphan 2016
QB - Mitchell Trubisky
RB - L.Fournette, Brian Hill
WR - M.Thomas, J.Doctson, Corey Davis, L.Treadwell, J.Crowder, M.Lee, Zay Jones
TE - Z.Ertz
2018 picks 1,1,2,3

Dynasty DeLorean
Degenerate
Degenerate

Re: "bum", "garbage", and "sucks"

Postby Dynasty DeLorean » Tue Aug 11, 2015 4:42 pm

If you're having trouble understanding these things then you don't understand context.

DLF3000
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby DLF3000 » Tue Aug 11, 2015 6:27 pm

Darkness wrote:If you're having trouble understanding these things then you don't understand context.
This - those (very mild negative) terms are relative to their peers, certainly not regular people. I think that's how most people use them - at least, that's how I use them.

If we can call the best players "beasts, monsters, heros, studs" and so on and no one bats an eyelash, why can't we call them the opposite? Now that's hypocrisy.
35 Team Dyn PPR, 3 x Copy SF start 2TE Super Prem (TE 2 PPR, 8pt TD), 6 pt/non-TE TD, 1pt/20 yds pass (300 +3pt), 1pt/10 yds rush/rec (100 +3pt)

Start 12: 1QB 1SFLX 2RB 4WR 2TE 2FLX | 30 Active Roster, unlim Taxi, 3 IR/Out (+) | est. '21 | playoffs '21, '22

QB - J Allen, T Lawrence ...
RB - A Ekeler, S Barkley, J Cook, I Pacheco ...
WR - AJ Brown, C Ridley, G Pickens, C Sutton ...
TE - D Njoku, D Knox ...
® 2024 - | 2025 -

doktor
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby doktor » Tue Aug 11, 2015 6:54 pm

We should flip the name calling in reverse. You know, just for awhile, see how it goes.
Henceforth, Andrew Luck is the bum of all bums, and E.J.Manuel is nothing but an elite stud who beasts the bench on a weekly basis!!!

TomBobAnderson
All Pro
All Pro

Postby TomBobAnderson » Tue Aug 11, 2015 7:45 pm

False. I'm better than Mark Sanchez.

whatadai
Captain
Captain

Postby whatadai » Tue Aug 11, 2015 8:06 pm

kwade7575 wrote:...Mark Sanchez...is STILL a better football player...
WHOA WHOA WHOA. CALM IT THERE! Just like I wouldn't call myself a football player, I wouldn't call that bum, Mark Sanchez, one either.:D
10 Team .5 PPR Salary Cap Dynasty (Starters in Bold)
HC: B. Belichick, D. Quinn
QB: A. Rodgers, D. Carr, N. Foles
HB: L. McCoy, A. Foster, T. Mason, B. Sankey, I. Crowell, C. Ivory, S. Ridley
WR: D. Bryant, D. Thomas, D. Hopkins, A. Cooper, A. Robinson, V. Cruz, T. Smith, C. Johnson, B. Quick, J. Gordon
TE: R. Gronkowski
PK: N. Novak, D. Carpenter
PN: J. Hekker
DT: G. Atkins, S. Marks
DE: R. Quinn, O. Vernon, C. Johnson, J. Hughes, V. Beasley, J. Smith
LB: J. Mayo, B. Cushing, J. Freeman, C. Barwin, V. Rey, B. Orakpo, A. Okafor, D. Washington
CB: J. McCourty, A. Verner, B. Browner
S: E. Weddle, T. McDonald, T. Gipson, D. Bucannon
OL: T. Armstead, S. Vollmer, K. Holmes, T. Frederick, M. Unger, J. Asamoah, J. Sitton, A. Smith, J. Troutman, M. Yanda, L. Warford

PS: RB J. Allen, WR P. Dorsett, WR K. Bell, WR B. Coleman, DE J. Sheard, DE D. Fowler, DE L. Webster, LB S. Anthony

operwapitsai
MVP
MVP

Postby operwapitsai » Tue Aug 11, 2015 8:31 pm

My man, it is all relative

The worst player on an NFL team = garbage/bum/sucks
The best player = god/supernatural/idol

We are not comparing these players to ourselves, no no no. We compare them to EACH OTHER!

I can confidently say, DeAndre Hopkins is not a very good athlete. But now listen. The circumstances that I am saying that under, is only within the NFL level.

Hopkins is an ELITE athlete, when put up against the rest of the world. He is probably in the 99.8 percentile of athletic ability. However, within NFL standards he is average at best, most likely worse.

We are not comparing these players against the general public, we are comparing them against their peers, these men are near superhuman and we realize that, almost to the point (if not totally to the point) of defining their abilities as video game like.

P.S. this is not a hit against Hopkins he is just an example....please spare me
TEAM 1
12 Team - 35 Roster - .5 PPR - IDP(bp) - 1QB 2RB 3WR 1TE 1FX - 2DL 2LB 2DB 1FX

QB: J. Allen, D. Watson
RB: T. Gurley, JK Dobbins, M. Ingram, M. Brown, G. Edwards, F. Gore
WR: J. Jefferson, J. Landry, M. Brown, AJ Green, J. Washington
TE: E. Engram, E. Ebron

TEAM 2
12 Team - 26 Roster - .5 PPR - 1QB 2RB 2WR 1TE 1FX

QB: J. Herbert, J. Allen
RB: M. Gordon, R. Jones, AJ Dillon, J. McKinnon
WR: K. Allen, B. Cooks, A. Robinson, C. Samuel, J. Jeudy, CD Lamb, D. Johnson
TE: Gronk, Irv Smith, J. Graham

TEAM 3
12 Team - 35 Roster - .5 PPR - IDP(bp) - 1QB 2RB 3WR 1TE 1SF - 2DL 2LB 2DB

QB: A. Rodgers, J. Garoppolo, J. Love
RB: D. Cook, L. Fournette, P. Lindsay, M. Davis, L. Murray
WR: C. Ridley, DJ Moore, T. McLaurin, NC Lamb, K. Cupp, M. Williams, M. Brown
TE: H. Henrey, T. Higbee

JJDubya
MVP
MVP

Postby JJDubya » Tue Aug 11, 2015 8:42 pm

Title of the thread sums the question up rather succinctly.

kwade7575
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby kwade7575 » Tue Aug 11, 2015 9:00 pm

DLF3000 wrote:
Darkness wrote:If you're having trouble understanding these things then you don't understand context.
This - those (very mild negative) terms are relative to their peers, certainly not regular people. I think that's how most people use them - at least, that's how I use them.

If we can call the best players "beasts, monsters, heros, studs" and so on and no one bats an eyelash, why can't we call them the opposite? Now that's hypocrisy.

Calling players beasts, monsters, etc... IS in comparison to normal people just as much as it is with their peers. We commonly call supreme athletes freaks of nature. That is comparison to everyone, not just their peers. That is why i don't bat an eyelash at those terms. When you see Calvin Johnson leap among a crowd and come down with the ball I am sure you are just as likely to compare that incredible athleticism with yourself as a benchmark, as much as you are to compare it to Ryan Broyles athleticism. That is because our own athleticism is easier to compare to since we are familiar with it and it makes that demonstration of athleticism more personable, real, and all the more incredible.

It appears I am in the minority on this. It just seems to me that the justification that it is ok to be so critical of professional athletes because it is within the context of comparing them to their peers is what contributes to this culture of sports fandom where fans think they have the pedigree and/or are qualified to judge players and coaches that are so far beyond the average fan's knowledge or skill set.

However, I realize that maybe I am just being oversensitive about this lol Maybe I just feel bad thinking about Geno Smith crying himself to sleep tonight after he reads a bunch of tweets of keyboard warriors calling him a bum and a failure after he got rocked haha It is also probably the teacher mentality in me that tries to promote respect and niceness among everyone
QB - C.Wentz, A. Luck
TE - Z.Ertz, J. Reed

Saskatchewan Roughriders 16-team .5PPR QB/RB/RB/WR/WR/FLEX/FLEX/FLEX/DEF/K Orphan 2016
QB - Mitchell Trubisky
TE - Z.Ertz
2018 picks 1,1,2,3

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Tue Aug 11, 2015 9:16 pm

Who posted this? He sucks! What a bum! This piece of garbage is wasting my time with such an inane post. :ewink:
"You're a creep. You got caught.." -Dan Patrick

kwade7575
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby kwade7575 » Tue Aug 11, 2015 9:37 pm

FantasyFreak wrote:Who posted this? He sucks! What a bum! This piece of garbage is wasting my time with such an inane post. :ewink:
:clap:
QB - C.Wentz, A. Luck
TE - Z.Ertz, J. Reed

QB - Mitchell Trubisky
TE - Z.Ertz
2018 picks 1,1,2,3

M-Dub
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby M-Dub » Wed Aug 12, 2015 1:50 am

I don't have a problem with any of those terms. I even think some of the censorship around here is a little heavy-handed. I mean, is "sh-t" really such an offensive word that if you type it on a message board it should be replaced with "bleep"? I think we're (mostly) all adults here, right?

The only thing that bothers me is when people use the word "raped" as a synonym for being on the wrong end of a lopsided trade. That makes me cringe a little.
Both are 12-team 1QB PPR dynasties

🦬PRIME🦬
QB: Hurts, Howell
RB: Mixon, Jones, Sanders, Dobbins, Akers, Roschon, Dowdle, Kelley
WR: Nuk, Godwin, Cooper, Lockett, Flowers, Chark, Collins, Hollins, Tillman, Tolbert
TE: Hockenson, Chig, Trautman
Taxi: Willis, Z. White, M. Mims, T. Palmer

Hull Awaits
$450 cap, 60 contract years

QB: Lawrence $5/3, Richardson $5/5, Minshew $1/0, Jones $1/0, Heinicke $1/0, Tyrod $1/0
RB: Achane $4/4, Warren $2/4, Roschon $7/5, Dillon $4/1, Hubbard $2/1, Kelley $1/0
WR: Nuk $78/1, MT $25/1, M. Williams $1/0, JSN $21/5, Reed $4/5, Rice $4/5, M. Wilson $2/5
TE: Thomas $1/0, Hill $1/0, Parham $1/0

clarion contrarion
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby clarion contrarion » Wed Aug 12, 2015 2:03 am

I laugh when fantasy managers use terms like that but if someone questions their strategy or methods they flip out and cry like cub scouts . The poor NFL players are way better at their jobs than 95% of fantasy managers are at being fantasy managers . I rarely if ever rip a player although I frequently point out playing weaknesses or guys to avoid . Even then when I do that other managers take offense when you disagree with their godlike opinions.
keyboard king kongs is what I ccall those folks.
.....this has been a public service announcement from forum superstar clarion contrarion
QB luck- driskell
WR ant brown evans c davis golladay godwin gordon j washington doctson watson lazard patrick henderson
RB mixon cohen chubb aaron jones hunt malcolm brown
TE eifert howard njoku
K tucker DEF pittsburgh chicago
2012 , 2014 2015 2016 2017 & 2018 ACDL Champion 5 IN A ROW 6 in 7 years- now that is dynasty!
2013 ACDL runner up
2013 2014 2017 & 2018 (Undefeated 15-0 ) WORILDS OF HURT CHAMPION
2010 2014 & 2015 7 Rings for Steeltown CHAMPION 2011 & 2013 7 rings runner up
2018 Experts Dynasty League Champion
there is no after football
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.
— Leonardo da Vinci

ninotoreS
Legend
Legend

Postby ninotoreS » Wed Aug 12, 2015 3:09 am

The OP is simply making the point that sports fan are reflexively underappreciative of pro athletic talent relative to common reality.

And he's right, obviously.

It really isn't constructive or especially rational to use terms like 'bum' and 'garbage', except in the very rare cases it can be objectively justified, usually from a character / work ethic angle or something similar.

I mean, I do it on occasion. But I shouldn't. It's not a mature manner to characterize an analysis.

edit: lol I see a certain instance of comical inability to accurately self-examine in this thread
Last edited by ninotoreS on Wed Aug 12, 2015 6:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit. It’s the only way to be sure."
- Sun Tzu, 469 BCE

Lotto4Life
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby Lotto4Life » Wed Aug 12, 2015 3:37 am

M-Dub wrote:I even think some of the censorship around here is a little heavy-handed. I mean, is "sh-t" really such an offensive word that if you type it on a message board it should be replaced with "bleep"? I think we're (mostly) all adults here, right?
I actually like that feature for a couple of reasons. Sometimes when something is censored with a bleep on television, it really cracks me up for some reason. I also like trying to figure out what word they used - it's not always obvious.