"CJ Anderson is unproven"

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
balaberda
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Re:

Postby balaberda » Sat Aug 08, 2015 8:30 am

Anybody who thinks CJ is going to stick past this year is naive. there has to be real fear from owners that he won't stick.

I think he is good but just look at the track record of "starting rb" for that team. I already have Thompson stashed because all it takes is a small injury and I now have a starting RB. Gone are the days that I trade for a starting RB with upside.

I will overpay for a starter late in the season and just stash guys. Its next guy up in my mind with RB's

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Re:

Postby FantasyFreak » Sat Aug 08, 2015 9:24 am

balaberda wrote:Anybody who thinks CJ is going to stick past this year is naive. there has to be real fear from owners that he won't stick.

I think he is good but just look at the track record of "starting rb" for that team. I already have Thompson stashed because all it takes is a small injury and I now have a starting RB. Gone are the days that I trade for a starting RB with upside.

I will overpay for a starter late in the season and just stash guys. Its next guy up in my mind with RB's
Really? So there is zero chance that the best RB on the Broncos current roster sticks? I am an owner, I got him in a package deal, and he was pretty much handed to me. I don't have any fear that he "won't stick". If he does, it is basically a bonus for me, but to say that people are naive for thinking he might be the starter for over 1 year is pretty arrogant. By the way, although I have Thompson on one of my teams, your statement is pretty presumptuous. If Anderson gets hurt, what proof exactly do you have that Thompson is going to be the starter over Ball or Hillman?
"You're a creep. You got caught.." -Dan Patrick

heyfeefellskee
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Re: Re:

Postby heyfeefellskee » Sat Aug 08, 2015 9:35 am

FantasyFreak wrote:
balaberda wrote:Anybody who thinks CJ is going to stick past this year is naive. there has to be real fear from owners that he won't stick.

Really? So there is zero chance that the best RB on the Broncos current roster sticks? I am an owner, I got him in a package deal, and he was pretty much handed to me. I don't have any fear that he "won't stick". If he does, it is basically a bonus for me, but to say that people are naive for thinking he might be the starter for over 1 year is pretty arrogant. By the way, although I have Thompson on one of my teams, your statement is pretty presumptuous. If Anderson gets hurt, what proof exactly do you have that Thompson is going to be the starter over Ball or Hillman?
I have hope for Thompson, but as far as I know he's still competing for the 2nd Rb spot behind CJA... if he doesn't get it, my WW investment will be moot.

doktor
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Re:

Postby doktor » Sat Aug 08, 2015 9:44 am

Without taking any sides here (those who know me know which side I am on...);

There have been almost as many CJA threads across these and many other boards as CJA had yards last season. The arguments on each side have been documented to death. At this point anything else is really just speculation.

Let's get this season going!

balaberda
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby balaberda » Sat Aug 08, 2015 9:50 am

FantasyFreak wrote:

I am basing this off of the past few years. There is a serious trend going on right now and I feel like it will continue that is all. This team has shown that it hasn't been very loyal to RB's so I would be worried.

doktor
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby doktor » Sat Aug 08, 2015 10:56 am

balaberda wrote:I am basing this off of the past few years. There is a serious trend going on right now and I feel like it will continue that is all. This team has shown that it hasn't been very loyal to RB's so I would be worried.
You mean the period when they had a different head coach? Who had a completely different philosophy? The guy they replaced with Kubiak? Is that the period you're using as a reference?

Seems to me that is more a reason to be concerned about Forte than CJA as that's where that coach now works. But if you want a period of recent, multiple-year history to use as reference for CJA then perhaps take a look at Kubiak's use of Foster in HOU. There you have a coach who found his best RB, didn't care that he was undrafted, and used him as a workhorse for many years. And was pretty good at it.

ericanadian
Legend
Legend

Postby ericanadian » Sat Aug 08, 2015 12:45 pm

doktor wrote:
balaberda wrote:I am basing this off of the past few years. There is a serious trend going on right now and I feel like it will continue that is all. This team has shown that it hasn't been very loyal to RB's so I would be worried.
You mean the period when they had a different head coach? Who had a completely different philosophy? The guy they replaced with Kubiak? Is that the period you're using as a reference?

Seems to me that is more a reason to be concerned about Forte than CJA as that's where that coach now works. But if you want a period of recent, multiple-year history to use as reference for CJA then perhaps take a look at Kubiak's use of Foster in HOU. There you have a coach who found his best RB, didn't care that he was undrafted, and used him as a workhorse for many years. And was pretty good at it.
It's not like Foster just showed up and was instantly the lead back. Slaton couldn't hold on to the ball and then got hurt, Moats was mediocre and Chris Brown was awful, and then Tate got hurt in camp. I don't think having "Undrafted" in common is of any benefit to Anderson. Anderson needs to stay healthy and show he can get it done for a full season. He hasn't done that yet, so yes, he's a risk.
All I Der Is Win - 16 Team IDP League (Pass TD 6pts)

QB - Stafford, Stroud, Tune
RB - Swift, Hall, Penny, Bigsby, Ford
WR - Pittman, Olave, Di. Johnson, G. Wilson, J. Williams, Metchie, Robinson, M. Wilson
TE - Okonkwo, Schoonmaker
LB - Brooks, R. Smith, Phillips
DL - Crosby, Allen, Simmons
DB - D. James, Baker, Delpit
K - Just a stupid kicker

Coogan Football
GOAT
GOAT

Re:

Postby Coogan Football » Sat Aug 08, 2015 1:11 pm

FWIW, the Saints had Duexe McCallister the year they signed Pierre Thomas as an UDFA (Lance Moore same year) and kept them around for a long time and the key starters for a good 5 years straight. UDFA can come in and wins jobs, it happens alot. Marques Colstin was the 252nd player drafted when he came out.

What I'm trying to say is draft pedigree might matter but at the end of the day the coach is gonna play the better player/fit. His own job is on the line to win, he's gonna field the best team possible, not just players they drafted high.
12 team 6pts all TDs/.5ppr/SFlex/ balanced IDP, scoring est. 2008
Start QB,SF,2RB,3WR,TE,2Flex,3DL,3LB,3DB,2DFlex
3x Champion 2015, 2016, 2017
QB: Brees, Luck, Prescott, McCarron, C.Kelly, Peterman
RB: Elliott, Gurley, Hunt, Kamara, Gordon, Howard, McCaffrey, J.Williams,
WR: Julio, Hopkins, M.Thomas, TY, Watkins, Kupp, C.Davis, Thomas (LA), Carroo, Switzer, Tr. Taylor
TE: Olsen, Engram, Howard, Fleener, Swoope
DL: Watt, Mack, C.Jordan, Bosa, D.Hunter, Clowney, Armstead
LB: Kuechly, Ogletree, Mosley, McKinney, R.Foster, Bucannon, Z.Cunningham, Anzalone, ShaqT,
, Goodson, Pullard,
DB: H.Smith, Vaccaro, B.Jones, Neal, Adoree, K.Joseph, Geathers, M.Maye, J.Jones, D Thompson

Don't be the guy that asks for advice without giving some out yourself
#WhoDat

flashgordon12
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Re:

Postby flashgordon12 » Sat Aug 08, 2015 2:00 pm

I don't understand why people don't think CJA is "special". Is it because he was an UDFA? What I see is a unique center of balance that allows him to wreck trhough defenses and slip through arm tackles on a consistent basis. Too me, his talent is special. But I guess haters gon' hate.
Flash in the Pan: 12 team PPR (1QB, 2RB, 3WR, 1TE, 1 RB/WR/TE, 1DEF) 25 man rosters

QB- Andrew Luck, Josh Allen
RB- MGIII, Mixon, Cohen, Devonta Freeman
WR- AB, Odell Beckham Jr., Josh Gordon, Tyler Boyd, Marqise Lee, Sutton, MVS
TE- Gronk, Higbee
DEF- Denver

Coogan Football
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Coogan Football » Sat Aug 08, 2015 2:07 pm

flashgordon12 wrote:I don't understand why people don't think CJA is "special". Is it because he was an UDFA? What I see is a unique center of balance that allows him to wreck trhough defenses and slip through arm tackles on a consistent basis. Too me, his talent is special. But I guess haters gon' hate.
You have the best avatar ever........
12 team 6pts all TDs/.5ppr/SFlex/ balanced IDP, scoring est. 2008
Start QB,SF,2RB,3WR,TE,2Flex,3DL,3LB,3DB,2DFlex
3x Champion 2015, 2016, 2017
QB: Brees, Luck, Prescott, McCarron, C.Kelly, Peterman
RB: Elliott, Gurley, Hunt, Kamara, Gordon, Howard, McCaffrey, J.Williams,
WR: Julio, Hopkins, M.Thomas, TY, Watkins, Kupp, C.Davis, Thomas (LA), Carroo, Switzer, Tr. Taylor
TE: Olsen, Engram, Howard, Fleener, Swoope
DL: Watt, Mack, C.Jordan, Bosa, D.Hunter, Clowney, Armstead
LB: Kuechly, Ogletree, Mosley, McKinney, R.Foster, Bucannon, Z.Cunningham, Anzalone, ShaqT,
, Goodson, Pullard,
DB: H.Smith, Vaccaro, B.Jones, Neal, Adoree, K.Joseph, Geathers, M.Maye, J.Jones, D Thompson

Don't be the guy that asks for advice without giving some out yourself
#WhoDat

Tsunami
All Pro
All Pro

Postby Tsunami » Sat Aug 08, 2015 5:12 pm

flashgordon12 wrote:I don't understand why people don't think CJA is "special". Is it because he was an UDFA? What I see is a unique center of balance that allows him to wreck trhough defenses and slip through arm tackles on a consistent basis. Too me, his talent is special. But I guess haters gon' hate.
I'm with this, his talent is special. He significantly outplayed Montee Ball who was the 3rd RB chosen in 2013. I don't know if it is.. Jamaal Charles special, but it is at least good enough to be a starter. But I'm not 100% sure of this, and I don't know that he can hold up for a full season, which makes him risky but with upside. He's not quite "proven" yet.

NOT, however, more risky than a rookie RB like Gurley or Gordon.

JJDubya
MVP
MVP

Re:

Postby JJDubya » Sat Aug 08, 2015 9:29 pm

Pros:
Given the opportunity, he made the most of it.
He is part of an offense that, although in decline from what it was in 2013 (and likely 2014), is still likely a top 6 offense in the league.
His head coach's system breeds RB1s.
He's healthy. He's in better shape.

Cons:
Small sample size
Poor pedigree and relatively unproven.
Wore down at end of season.
Didn't fare well against top Defenses (I guess they wouldn't be good otherwise).
Broncos backs have been unpredictable past couple of year.
Why's he trying to hide his real name? Shady if you ask me.

Looking above, sure there's some risk. There's plenty of risk with a lot of RBs. He doesn't fumble. He can pound it into the ez. He has great burst for a guy his size. He can catch. He can pass protect. I'm sorry, but the good far outweighs the bad. Tre Mason? Absurd.

M-Dub
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby M-Dub » Sun Aug 09, 2015 12:49 am

JJDubya wrote:Pros:
He is part of an offense that, although in decline from what it was in 2013 (and likely 2014), is still likely a top 6 offense in the league.

Cons:
Small sample size
Didn't fare well against top Defenses (I guess they wouldn't be good otherwise).

Looking above, sure there's some risk. There's plenty of risk with a lot of RBs. He doesn't fumble. He can pound it into the ez. He has great burst for a guy his size. He can catch. He can pass protect. I'm sorry, but the good far outweighs the bad. Tre Mason? Absurd.
I don't mean to nitpick, but what do you mean by poor pedigree? That godawful Cal pedigree that has produced schlubs like Marshawn Lynch, Justin Forsett and Shane Vereen in recent years?
Both are 12-team 1QB PPR dynasties

🦬PRIME🦬
QB: Hurts, Howell
RB: Mixon, Jones, Sanders, Dobbins, Akers, Roschon, Dowdle, Kelley
WR: Nuk, Godwin, Cooper, Lockett, Flowers, Chark, Collins, Hollins, Tillman, Tolbert
TE: Hockenson, Chig, Trautman
Taxi: Willis, Z. White, M. Mims, T. Palmer

Hull Awaits
$450 cap, 60 contract years

QB: Lawrence $5/3, Richardson $5/5, Minshew $1/0, Jones $1/0, Heinicke $1/0, Tyrod $1/0
RB: Achane $4/4, Warren $2/4, Roschon $7/5, Dillon $4/1, Hubbard $2/1, Kelley $1/0
WR: Nuk $78/1, MT $25/1, M. Williams $1/0, JSN $21/5, Reed $4/5, Rice $4/5, M. Wilson $2/5
TE: Thomas $1/0, Hill $1/0, Parham $1/0

ppm
Role Player
Role Player

Re:

Postby ppm » Sun Aug 09, 2015 1:47 am

Perhaps he's not truly "special" but I'd say he's at least a quality starter with every-down workhorse ability. Very much like Ray Rice at his best.

Maybe the UDFA stink will wear off once he has a pair of RB1 seasons to his name by the time he turns 25.

JJDubya
MVP
MVP

Postby JJDubya » Sun Aug 09, 2015 6:09 am

M-Dub wrote:
JJDubya wrote:Pros:

Cons:
Small sample size

I don't mean to nitpick, but what do you mean by poor pedigree? That godawful Cal pedigree that has produced schlubs like Marshawn Lynch, Justin Forsett and Shane Vereen in recent years?
Poor choice of words is all. It's not about where he went to school, but what he did while he was there. First year was Under 600 combined yards, second year was under 1000. Didn't exactly light it up.