FiremanEd wrote: ↑
Mon Sep 23, 2019 11:53 am
Eh, I find it tough to put any sort of guiding principal on it. Every year is different, every draft is different, and every league is different.
One year you draft Kevin White or Devante Parker high, the next you're grabbing Evan Engram and Alvin Kamara late 1st. One year you can move back because you have an anxious buyer for a player who's willing to pay up, the next you're basically forced to make a selection otherwise you're throwing away value.
I definitely thought Abdullah's issue/risk would be related to fumbles. Interestingly, that is not why he failed.
This. Every year is different, and you need to be ready to pounce. Here is my history:
- Had an early and a late. Took Doug Martin at 1.04, Isaiah Pead at 1.11. Rough draft class all around, but good choice early and should have traded back half.
- Had an early and a late. Took Gio at 1.02 (bad pick in retrospect when Bell, and DHop were available) and Kenbrell Thompkins late. Traded Thompkins quickly, but good to have an early pick and should have traded late.
- Sammy at 1.02, Jordan Matthews at 1.4 (I still hate you Chip Kelly!), and kept the 1.09 which turned into Odell Beckham. Good to trade up and grab a late 1st if you see a guy you like falling.
- Amari and Gurley at 1.01 and 1.02, traded my late 1st as part of packages for the early picks. Nobody I'd want late - lesson learned is to be ready to deal late 1sts if you can
- Missed on Treadwell at 1.03, and had traded 1st as a package for that early 1st. Nobody I wanted in the last 1st, good to have traded the late 1st.
- Mike Williams fell to 1.10, Kamara at 1.09. Would have been good to have a late 1st in this draft.
- Traded 2019 1st to get back into 1st at 1.10 to grab Chubb (good call), and grabbed Guice at 1.09. Good to have late 1sts when players fall.
- Nobody in back half that I wanted, so didn't trade back in.
I'm with the above - if you have an early 1st be ready to use it or trade for great value, and if you have a late 1st be ready if someone falls or trade it away for more than this year's value.
DFFL - Luck Dynasty
12 team PPR Contract/Salary league. $331 cap limit. Starting lineup is QB, RB, RB/WR, 2 WR, WR/TE, plus IDP's (2 LB, 2 CB/S, 2 DL).
QB: Rivers ($6 - 2020), Mayfield ($4 - 2022)
RB: Chubb ($5 - 2022), Gurley ($58 - 2020), Mixon ($7 - 2023), Guice ($6 - 2022), MWilliams ($1-2024)
WR: Julio ($75 - 2019), Cooper ($12 - 2021), JuJu SS ($2 - 2023), Diggs ($2 - 2021), Watkins ($15 - 2020), MWilliams ($9 - 2022), Kirk ($2 - 2024), Isabella ($2 - 2025)
2013 and 2017 League Champion
PPR WR & TE Premium (1.2 PPR for WR, 1.5 for TE), 9 total starters, 1 QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 TE, 3 Flex
QB: Mahomes, Mayfield, Carr
RB: Cook, Chubb, Connor, Mattison, Ogunbowale, Richard, Crowell
WR: MThomas, Tyreek, Davis, Sutton, AJBrown, Dorsett, PRichardson, DParker, Doctson, Cain
TE: Dissly, OJHoward, McDonald, Shaheen, Vannett, Fells
2020: 1st (late), 2nd (early), 3rd, 4th