Jalen Hurts: What's the verdict?

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
mild
Legend
Legend

Re: Jalen Hurts: What's the verdict?

Postby mild » Thu Jan 20, 2022 2:28 pm

Pyro_6138 wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 1:34 pm I don't think Howie saying he's the starter in 2022 is the vote of confidence everyone thinks it is. All it takes is the Eagles falling in love with a projected early 1st QB and Hurts wont be in the picture. Look at the moves they made to go get Wentz or the overdrafting of Hurts I also think I remember him saying the same thing about Wentz before they shipped him out too.
Sure. But what would you like him to say? If you're a Hurts shareholder, then you couldn't ask for anything more. Compare and contrast Howie's statement to Chris Ballard's re: Wentz right now. Confidence in a QB can be read between the lines. In both cases, I think there is smoke to the fire. "He grabbed the bull by the horns and showed us what we needed to see" is a ringing endorsement that Howie does not have to give. He could just say "he's earned a chance to start next year".

To your "projected early 1st QB, and Hurts won't be in the picture" - uhhhh, yeah he will.

Howie's statement is as much about this class and it's lack of a top-end signal caller as it is about Hurts winning the locker room and conducting himself as a consummate pro. They LOVE him over there. Any incoming rookie would have to beat out Hurts, and if he did, it would be reasonable for the Eagles to then explore trading him. There are not 20 better young QB's in the league. The incoming rookies aren't even at the "Zach Wilson" level of prospect, let alone Trevor Lawrence et al.

Remember: there is no bigger Jalen Hurts fan, than Howie Roseman himself - who shocked his own team by drafting him, and then traded away Wentz to roll with him. He's an even bigger fan of Hurts than I am! :lol:

I don't see any rookie as being the threat at this point; it's really just down to the movement of the Vets. They'll be opportunistic if Watson is on the table, no doubt. Who wouldn't be? At this stage, that's the only true threat I see to Hurts once again going fantasy-nuts in 2022.
Pyro_6138 wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 1:34 pm If I'm Hurts regardless of where or what happens I'd be spending the offseason with someone like Jordan Palmer to try and fix my mechanics and read progression.
This this this this this. All of this. And I'm sure he will. He's got a year to prove he belongs in this league, basically. He works damn hard: I'm almost positive he will be grinding this offseason already.

We heard it out of Pittsburgh already: "QB mobility will be prioritised". Like it or not, Gardner Minschew fans or not: Hurts represents the new meta of the league at signal caller, and is a rare athlete at the position. This man just out-rushed Lamar Jackson this season. That's what we were hoping Justin Fields and Trey Lance to be...

Projecting future improvement as a player matures is the biggest "gotcha" that we have in Fantasy; it's super hard to do, and if we knew how to do it we'd all win our leagues every year. Josh Allen represents the biggest case of this, but there are others. One thing I do know? A player can -look- like they've improved a whole lot at QB if their team simply goes all-in on them, and builds the roster and playbook around them. It worked for Lamar - to great effect. Some would argue that Lamar hasn't improved noticeably since that MVP year.

If you're selling Hurts, then fair play, take the bag and run. I'd do it too, if the offer was big enough. But there should be no panic in your decision. I fully expect us to arrive at Week 1 2022 with Hurts as a starter - either in Philly, or elsewhere.

Jigga94
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Jigga94 » Thu Jan 20, 2022 3:59 pm

You can tell it's the fantasy offseason when threads are being filled with skewed stats to argue each side lol. Hurts had 17 more rushing yards while playing 3 more games than Lamar. You can tell yourself he outrushed him but it's pretty negligable. The rushing TD on the other hand is a different story, Hurts was punching them in all year. Is that due to Philly OL being so good? Regardless, he's not the athlete Lamar is at QB. That's obvious. While we are on Lamar, why does Hurts 2nd season get compared to Lamars rookie year all the time? Just curious. They both sat for most of their rookie years and were awful passing statistically. One improved much more than the other but maybe Hurts can take another step forward.

Again, It's nice he had so many rushing stats for fantasy but if his passing doesn't come around and improve on 59% for his career, it won't matter for long and owners will wish they had sold high.

mild
Legend
Legend

Postby mild » Thu Jan 20, 2022 4:14 pm

Jigga94 wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 3:59 pm You can tell it's the fantasy offseason when threads are being filled with skewed stats to argue each side lol. Hurts had 17 more rushing yards while playing 3 more games than Lamar. You can tell yourself he outrushed him but it's pretty negligable. The rushing TD on the other hand is a different story, Hurts was punching them in all year. Is that due to Philly OL being so good? Regardless, he's not the athlete Lamar is at QB. That's obvious. While we are on Lamar, why does Hurts 2nd season get compared to Lamars rookie year all the time? Just curious. They both sat for most of their rookie years and were awful passing statistically. One improved much more than the other but maybe Hurts can take another step forward.

Again, It's nice he had so many rushing stats for fantasy but if his passing doesn't come around and improve on 59% for his career, it won't matter for long and owners will wish they had sold high.
Jalen Hurts won the QB rushing title this year. Sorry about it.

I never said he was a better rusher than Lamar. He's in the conversation, and vastly outpaced every other dual-threat QB that you could care to name. For our purposes, we're just splitting hairs if you're debating it any further than that - he is a -rare athlete- playing the QB position, in a league that has now woken up to rushing QB's in a big way. It needn't be more convoluted than that on the rushing aspect of Hurts' game.

He's Lamar-lite, and I've been consistent on that.

Lamar's rookie year is being invoked because it looked a lot like this. Think of the parallels:
- Rushed like a madman, struggled with throwing
- Started in a throwing offense that was not designed for him, that was then adjusted-on-the-fly to better suit him
- Bombed out in a first round playoff blowout whilst looking overmatched
- Completed passes at a 58% / 59% completion percentage
- Gained the confidence of his GM to build around for the following season
- Was built around in scheme and personnel the following year?
- Took a 5% completion percentage leap throwing the football?
- ... Profit???

I'm just saying. We're on this path. Can he improve? Can they put a team around him to maximise his ceiling? Can they really win with him going forward? Those are the questions. We'll see on the answers.

murphysxm
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby murphysxm » Thu Jan 20, 2022 5:16 pm

mild wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 2:28 pm
If you're selling Hurts, then fair play, take the bag and run. I'd do it too, if the offer was big enough. But there should be no panic in your decision. I fully expect us to arrive at Week 1 2022 with Hurts as a starter - either in Philly, or elsewhere.
I fully expect Deshaun Watson to be the week 1 starter in Philly
I am just a guy sharing some thoughts

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Cameron Giles » Thu Jan 20, 2022 5:19 pm

Unless you can get Rodgers, Russ, or Watson (legal issues cleared), I think staying the course with Hurts for one more year is the best option.

Is the best or second best QB prospect in this class a higher upside play than Hurts going forward? Who knows.

I think you could use each of those 1sts on a player that can make the team better and give yourself a chance at lessening what Hurts needs to do to win games.

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Thu Jan 20, 2022 6:06 pm

murphysxm wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 5:16 pm
mild wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 2:28 pm
I fully expect Deshaun Watson to be the week 1 starter in Philly
Hurts getting traded to Houston would be fantastic? The Mills vs Hurts debate would be a spicy one indeed! Ultimately, you need a really good QB to sniff a Super Bowl, and I can't imagine anyone thinks what Hurts has shown can lead to a SB caliber team. Even with improvement, the improvement would have to be astronomical. We've seen about 20 games, so this isn't like Lamar after year 1. We have a much larger sample size to form an opinion. I think if the Eagles have the chance to get Watson they take it.
"You're a creep. You got caught.." -Dan Patrick

Yarnith
All Pro
All Pro

Postby Yarnith » Fri Jan 21, 2022 7:17 am

mild wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 4:14 pm
Lamar's rookie year is being invoked because it looked a lot like this. Think of the parallels:
- Rushed like a madman, struggled with throwing
- Started in a throwing offense that was not designed for him, that was then adjusted-on-the-fly to better suit him
- Bombed out in a first round playoff blowout whilst looking overmatched
- Completed passes at a 58% / 59% completion percentage
- Gained the confidence of his GM to build around for the following season
- Was built around in scheme and personnel the following year?
- Took a 5% completion percentage leap throwing the football?
- ... Profit???

I'm just saying. We're on this path. Can he improve? Can they put a team around him to maximise his ceiling? Can they really win with him going forward? Those are the questions. We'll see on the answers.
Keeping in mind that Lamar year 2 was an anomaly where his rookie running prowess had teams over sell on containing him while allowing him easier throws and after year 2 he has declined drastically in each season following. I mean I donno if you wanna hold up the 16td to 13int Lamar as an example of how Hurts could grow as a passer and legit NFL starter? The path you speak of is sketchy and full of rocks to date.

I prefer a Josh Allen path where he can run but makes leaps as a passer independent of his skills as a rusher. This means over the next 10 years as he ages and loses rushing ability he can still maintain being a high end starter. That is something I doubt more and more for Lamar and by your comparison Hurts. I pull for the guy but I rather not be holding that potato when the music stops.
Cavaliers 12 team standard, 1QB, 1RB, 1WR, 2WR/TE, 1flex
QB: J. Allen, S. Howell, Z.Wilson
RB: A. Kamara, J. Taylor, CEH, K. Gainwell, P. Strong
WR: A.J. Brown, A. Cooper, J. Dotson, C. Ridley, E. Moore, W. Robinson, J. Meyers, T. Marshall,
TE: G. Kittle, J. Johnson, J. Woods, H. Henry
'23 1.10, 2.10, 3.10 '24 1, 2, 3
Recent Championships '19,'21,'22

Fosters Home for Imaginary Friends- 1QB, 2RB, 3WR, 1TE, 2Flex
QB: Mahomes, Purdy, Lance
RB: Pierce, Miller, K. Herbert, E. Hull
WR: Chase, Watson, Davis, JSN, Metchie, Pierce, V. Jefferson, Claypool, Thornton, Westbrook-Ikhine
TE: Pitts, Woods, Latu

Anteaters
Legend
Legend

Postby Anteaters » Fri Jan 21, 2022 8:04 am

One thing I think we can all agree on is Hurts is far from being the next Lamar or the next Josh. Right now, I'd be incredibly impressed if Hurts became the next Daniel Jones and managed to be a NFL starter for 3 complete seasons.
TEAM 1:
12 Team ppr w/20 keepers - start 1QB 2RB 3WR 1TE 1FLX 6IDP 1DEF
QB: Tua, Lamar, Levis
RB: Etienne, Pacheco, JavonteWms, JFord, CEH
WR: Lamb, JChase, Waddle, Pickens, MWilliams, Q Johnston
TE: Goedert, Friermuth
DEF: Cowboys, Ravens
IDP:(LB) Bolton, Greenlaw; (DE/DL) ZCollins, BJHill; (S/CB) Pitre, Bates, Witherspoon
2023 & 2022 Champion: 2020 third place: 2019 Champion

TEAM 2:
14 Team 30roster SF/ppr/TEP - QB/RB/WR/TE/5FLX/SF
QB: Tua, CJStroud, Carr, AOC, MWhite, Lock
RB: Etienne, Stevenson, GusE, AJD, Singletary, CEH, Spiller
WR: Amon-Ra, Kirk, Dell, Thielen, Gallup, Ch Jones
TE: Andrews, Waller, Taysom, Smythe, WMallory, JOliver
2023 semifinals loser

StripesOfKC
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby StripesOfKC » Fri Jan 21, 2022 9:20 am

Anteaters wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 8:04 am One thing I think we can all agree on is Hurts is far from being the next Lamar or the next Josh. Right now, I'd be incredibly impressed if Hurts became the next Daniel Jones and managed to be a NFL starter for 3 complete seasons.
This

Betting on outliers of leaps is never smart

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Fri Jan 21, 2022 1:25 pm

Anteaters wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 8:04 am One thing I think we can all agree on is Hurts is far from being the next Lamar or the next Josh. Right now, I'd be incredibly impressed if Hurts became the next Daniel Jones and managed to be a NFL starter for 3 complete seasons.
Yep.

remedy29
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby remedy29 » Fri Jan 21, 2022 7:36 pm

You're saying that Jalen Hurts play to date is not more impressive than Daniel Jones? Hurts QBR is 9-10 with 35 total TDs, with a 1 playoff appearance in 1 season. Jones QBR is 12-25 with 50 total TDs.

There is a lot of bad QB play in the NFL, Hurts on average has not been one of them. Plus, he only has 1 starting season under his belt. Not bad for a developmental player.

The hate in Hurts is a bit much.

If you want to discuss bad QB play, why not discuss Kyler Murray? I knew the dude was small, but I didn't realize he was capable of performing a disappearing act in the playoffs. Impressive if you ask me.

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Fri Jan 21, 2022 9:56 pm

remedy29 wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 7:36 pm
You're saying that Jalen Hurts play to date is not more impressive than Daniel Jones? Hurts QBR is 9-10 with 35 total TDs, with a 1 playoff appearance in 1 season. Jones QBR is 12-25 with 50 total TDs.

There is a lot of bad QB play in the NFL, Hurts on average has not been one of them. Plus, he only has 1 starting season under his belt. Not bad for a developmental player.

The hate in Hurts is a bit much.

If you want to discuss bad QB play, why not discuss Kyler Murray? I knew the dude was small, but I didn't realize he was capable of performing a disappearing act in the playoffs. Impressive if you ask me.
No, he's saying he'd be impressed if Hurts turned out to be a 3 year starter with his skill set (or lack thereof) like Jones did. It's sort of an indictment on Jones. So would I. If Hurts starts for 3 years, I'd be surprised. He's not very good. Agreed on Kyler, he stunk it up in the playoffs, but he's a much better player than Hurts is, it's really not very close.

halfbaked88
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby halfbaked88 » Sat Jan 22, 2022 8:02 am

Nick Siriani's supportive comments about Hurts to me are more about preserving the locker room and being a sports professional. If PHI does draft a QB it's a skill that will be crucial as Philly navigates yet another QB controversy.

Post season, I am more impressed with Siriani as a Head Coach than Hurts as a QB. Part of that is how much a dufus he was in the beginning behind a microphone. But he has improved with that. And especially the win-loss record 'with' a QB like Hurts shows he can evaluate and make the adjustments necessary to compete in the NFL.

The situation basically revolves around what direction Nick Siriani wants to go? That is a question that we will never receive a genuine answer publicly. There is no quote or sound byte you can muster that will ever accurately determine what the Eagles are going to do in 2022. Between now and the draft it is ALL coach speak.

And that is how it is in dynasty. Sometimes the only thing that truly reveals what a team is doing is paying attention to draft capital, salaries, and roster adds/drops.

If you have somebody in your league that swears Hurts is the guy in 2022 I think you better start exploring the trade option and take advantage of that false certainty.

You're not just solely basing a decision on Hurts performance and stats this season. You're really making the claim that you can read Nick Siriani's mind and know precisely what he's going to do with this team. That's a hard thing to do if you have any risk adverse approach to fantasy football.

Finfansteve
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Finfansteve » Sat Jan 22, 2022 8:32 am

stoneghost28 wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 3:00 pm
YouMightDieTryin wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 10:10 am
abloom wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 10:05 am

That means absolutely nothing until preseason or even the regular season except that with their current roster he's getting the first shot.

Are you telling me if Houston offered philly Watson for a 2022 7th round pick they wouldnlt jump on it?
No trade like that would ever happen...BoB isn't GM anymore!

I agree they bring in competition and Roseman is just trying to smokescreen, but what kind of competition are we realistically looking at? I do think the window to sell is now and if you wait you'll be holding the bag.
But what's a reasonable price. In 1 QB it's utterly pointless to sell because the return is so negligable, in 2QB, I imagine people are wise to the fact that buying stock in him going forward is like buying Drew Lock stock in '19. yeah Lock could hit, but odds were, he probably wouldn't (at the time I put him as a 35 to 40/60-65 league average starter guy). I tend to think the same with Hurts, but I'm not positive, maybe a better analogy is Tyrod Taylor value once he became a usable starter in his fifth year...Hurts is kinda like that to me, he's a guy who could bounce around and lock down a bridge starter roll all over the place if the Eagles goes sideways on him, but he also could just become irrelevant in the way RGIII became or Jake Locker.

I have some shares in 1QB, I think around 3, and 1 2QB share I traded up in the 4th round of the rookie draft 18 months ago to ease my Wentz anxieties, but I'm not even sure he's worth moving. At what point in terms of compensation does he become worth trading? Especially considering that when he starts, he basically is giving you a top 8 caliber performance at the position (and at times this year, top 4). I don't know if I want to just unload the shares of a QB who can do that, even if he's just a spot starter bouncing around the league by '22 or '23.

Any idea on what reasonable compensation would be in 1QB and 2QB?
In my start 1QB league I thought I’d need him later in the year but still traded him right before Halloween for what should be a top 5 pick in the 2023 draft. I think he’s serviceable to the eagles but I wouldn’t be surprised if they looked to at the very least take some playing time from him at some point or outright replaced him via trade or draft
Qb: Hurts, geno Smith
Rb: JT, Gibbs, Montgomery, Roschon, Z. White, Ty Chandler
Wr: AJB, JJ, Chase, waddle, G Wilson
TE: Pitts, Kincaid, Likely, Njoku

2024 1.01, 1.04, 1.05
10 team
9 players kept yearly
Non PPR
Not super flex
Start 1/1/2/1/2 flex
1 point per first down
All tds 6 points

abloom
GOAT
GOAT

Postby abloom » Sat Jan 22, 2022 10:40 am

According to the Bucs, hurts cant read defenses.
Team #1: 2nd place
12 team, 1 ppr (1.5 te), 1Q,2R,2W,1T,2F,1D,1K

Q: Kyler, AR
R: JT, CMC, Barkley, chandler
W: Evans, Chase, Mooney, Collins, Dell, Pickens
T: Kelce, Goedert
D: nyj
K: Sanders

Team #2: back to back champion
12 team, 1ppr (1.5 te), 1Q,2R,2W,1T,1SF,1F,1D,1K

Q: R Wilson, Murray, Watson
R: Swift, Walker, gus bus
W: Puka, Metcalf, Dell, Cooper, DJM, K Allen
T: Kelce, Pitts
K: Tucker
D: CLE

Team #3: back to back champion
14 team, SF, 1PPR (2PPR for TE), 1Q,2R,3W,1T,1SF,2F

Q: Mahomes, Rodgers, Watson, Heinicke, walker
R: Mostert, walker, a Jones, Wilson, Charb, Z White, McLaughlin, freeman, d Williams, Reynolds,
W: Waddle, A St Brown, K Allen, Cooper, Nuk, Juju
T: Kelce, Schultz, Thomas, Ferguson

Team #4 3rd
https://www49.myfantasyleague.com/2024/ ... =0004&O=01

Team #5 4th
https://www45.myfantasyleague.com/2024/ ... =07&F=0009

Team #6 orphan
https://www46.myfantasyleague.com/2024/ ... =0013&O=07