Jalen Hurts: What's the verdict?

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
YouMightDieTryin
MVP
MVP

Re: Jalen Hurts: What's the verdict?

Postby YouMightDieTryin » Wed Jan 19, 2022 10:02 am

Eagles GM Howie Roseman says Jalen Hurts is the team's starting QB entering 2022

No real surprise here. The leash has to be short for him though? Do they bring in a veteran or take a QB in this draft as backup? I realize the overall talent level might not be better, but bringing in an accurate QB might be the competition/help he needs?
10-Team Dynasty League QB/RB/RB/WR/WR/WR/FLEX (23 man rosters + 2 IR + 2 Taxi, non-PPR scoring)
QB: Herbert, Goff
RB: Bijan, JT, Saquon, J.Cook, K.Hunt, Foreman, Z.White, McKinnon, S.Tucker
WR: G.Wilson, Olave, Jeudy, Pittman, J.Williams, OBJ, N. Brown, JuJu,
TE: Chig, Conklin, L. Thomas
Taxi: M.Mims, Ro. Johnson
'24: (4) 1sts, 2nd, (2) 3rds, 4th
'25: (2) 1sts, 2nd, 3rd, 4th

abloom
GOAT
GOAT

Postby abloom » Wed Jan 19, 2022 10:05 am

YouMightDieTryin wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 10:02 am Eagles GM Howie Roseman says Jalen Hurts is the team's starting QB entering 2022

No real surprise here. The leash has to be short for him though? Do they bring in a veteran or take a QB in this draft as backup? I realize the overall talent level might not be better, but bringing in an accurate QB might be the competition/help he needs?
That means absolutely nothing until preseason or even the regular season except that with their current roster he's getting the first shot.

Are you telling me if Houston offered philly Watson for a 2022 7th round pick they wouldnlt jump on it?
Team #1: 2nd place
12 team, 1 ppr (1.5 te), 1Q,2R,2W,1T,2F,1D,1K

Q: Kyler, AR
R: JT, CMC, Barkley, chandler
W: Evans, Chase, Mooney, Collins, Dell, Pickens
T: Kelce, Goedert
D: nyj
K: Sanders

Team #2: back to back champion
12 team, 1ppr (1.5 te), 1Q,2R,2W,1T,1SF,1F,1D,1K

Q: R Wilson, Murray, Watson
R: Swift, Walker, gus bus
W: Puka, Metcalf, Dell, Cooper, DJM, K Allen
T: Kelce, Pitts
K: Tucker
D: CLE

Team #3: back to back champion
14 team, SF, 1PPR (2PPR for TE), 1Q,2R,3W,1T,1SF,2F

Q: Mahomes, Rodgers, Watson, Heinicke, walker
R: Mostert, walker, a Jones, Wilson, Charb, Z White, McLaughlin, freeman, d Williams, Reynolds,
W: Waddle, A St Brown, K Allen, Cooper, Nuk, Juju
T: Kelce, Schultz, Thomas, Ferguson

Team #4 3rd
https://www49.myfantasyleague.com/2024/ ... =0004&O=01

Team #5 4th
https://www45.myfantasyleague.com/2024/ ... =07&F=0009

Team #6 orphan
https://www46.myfantasyleague.com/2024/ ... =0013&O=07

YouMightDieTryin
MVP
MVP

Postby YouMightDieTryin » Wed Jan 19, 2022 10:10 am

abloom wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 10:05 am
YouMightDieTryin wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 10:02 am Eagles GM Howie Roseman says Jalen Hurts is the team's starting QB entering 2022

That means absolutely nothing until preseason or even the regular season except that with their current roster he's getting the first shot.

Are you telling me if Houston offered philly Watson for a 2022 7th round pick they wouldnlt jump on it?
No trade like that would ever happen...BoB isn't GM anymore!

I agree they bring in competition and Roseman is just trying to smokescreen, but what kind of competition are we realistically looking at? I do think the window to sell is now and if you wait you'll be holding the bag.

abloom
GOAT
GOAT

Postby abloom » Wed Jan 19, 2022 11:15 am

YouMightDieTryin wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 10:10 am

I agree they bring in competition and Roseman is just trying to smokescreen, but what kind of competition are we realistically looking at? I do think the window to sell is now and if you wait you'll be holding the bag.
Of course that trade wouldnlt happen, but the point is that calling hurts the starter is only the truth as long as he is the best QB on the roster.

There are several QBs that could be available including but not limited to: Watson, Jimmy G, Wilson. Additionally rookie QBs are on the table for the eagles.

I agree I would sell hurts now (actually I would of sold him last off season lol).

R: Mostert, walker, a Jones, Wilson, Charb, Z White, McLaughlin, freeman, d Williams, Reynolds,

Team #4 3rd

Team #5 4th

Team #6 orphan

Ruggenater
All Pro
All Pro

Postby Ruggenater » Wed Jan 19, 2022 1:37 pm

Even if you want to trade him, you can’t say anything except “he’s the starter” right now or else you lose all leverage. It’s a meaningless statement, even though I do think the Eagles will give Hurts another year.
12 Team Superflex - PPR, 0.25 PPC - QB/2RB/3WR/TE/Flex/Superflex
QB: L Jackson, Tagovailoa, Rodgers, Pickett, Tannehill
RB: Swift, Pacheco, Sanders, Hubbard, Spears, Dillon, Herbert, McLaughlin, Chandler, Dowdle
WR: DeVonta, Waddle, Aiyuk, Nacua, McLaurin, Hopkins, M Williams, Mingo, Wan’Dale, Hyatt
TE: Kelce, Okonkwo, Schoonmaker

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Wed Jan 19, 2022 1:48 pm

Ruggenater wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 1:37 pm Even if you want to trade him, you can’t say anything except “he’s the starter” right now or else you lose all leverage. It’s a meaningless statement, even though I do think the Eagles will give Hurts another year.
Exactly. What is he supposed to say to the media(if he was looking to deal him)? "We don't think Jalen has what it takes to be a long term starter, so we are going to look to move on from him." Leaves presser.

Picks up phone: "Hey (random GM). Jalen Hurts is on the block, what say you send us your first next year for him?"

Not sure that's the best way to try and create value for a player you are looking to move. He'd say what he said regardless of whether they truly believe he's earned it, and whether or not they believe in him.
"You're a creep. You got caught.." -Dan Patrick

stoneghost28
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby stoneghost28 » Wed Jan 19, 2022 3:00 pm

But what's a reasonable price. In 1 QB it's utterly pointless to sell because the return is so negligable, in 2QB, I imagine people are wise to the fact that buying stock in him going forward is like buying Drew Lock stock in '19. yeah Lock could hit, but odds were, he probably wouldn't (at the time I put him as a 35 to 40/60-65 league average starter guy). I tend to think the same with Hurts, but I'm not positive, maybe a better analogy is Tyrod Taylor value once he became a usable starter in his fifth year...Hurts is kinda like that to me, he's a guy who could bounce around and lock down a bridge starter roll all over the place if the Eagles goes sideways on him, but he also could just become irrelevant in the way RGIII became or Jake Locker.

I have some shares in 1QB, I think around 3, and 1 2QB share I traded up in the 4th round of the rookie draft 18 months ago to ease my Wentz anxieties, but I'm not even sure he's worth moving. At what point in terms of compensation does he become worth trading? Especially considering that when he starts, he basically is giving you a top 8 caliber performance at the position (and at times this year, top 4). I don't know if I want to just unload the shares of a QB who can do that, even if he's just a spot starter bouncing around the league by '22 or '23.

Any idea on what reasonable compensation would be in 1QB and 2QB?

Jigga94
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Jigga94 » Wed Jan 19, 2022 4:30 pm

stoneghost28 wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 3:00 pm

But what's a reasonable price. In 1 QB it's utterly pointless to sell because the return is so negligable, in 2QB, I imagine people are wise to the fact that buying stock in him going forward is like buying Drew Lock stock in '19. yeah Lock could hit, but odds were, he probably wouldn't (at the time I put him as a 35 to 40/60-65 league average starter guy). I tend to think the same with Hurts, but I'm not positive, maybe a better analogy is Tyrod Taylor value once he became a usable starter in his fifth year...Hurts is kinda like that to me, he's a guy who could bounce around and lock down a bridge starter roll all over the place if the Eagles goes sideways on him, but he also could just become irrelevant in the way RGIII became or Jake Locker.

I have some shares in 1QB, I think around 3, and 1 2QB share I traded up in the 4th round of the rookie draft 18 months ago to ease my Wentz anxieties, but I'm not even sure he's worth moving. At what point in terms of compensation does he become worth trading? Especially considering that when he starts, he basically is giving you a top 8 caliber performance at the position (and at times this year, top 4). I don't know if I want to just unload the shares of a QB who can do that, even if he's just a spot starter bouncing around the league by '22 or '23.

Any idea on what reasonable compensation would be in 1QB and 2QB?
I think in 2 QB owners would need (at least) an early-mid 1st to be able to draft a top RB to compare to the value Hurts provides.

Also, I get what you are getting at with the Drew Lock comparison as a hyped up QB coming into the next season, but there's literally 0 comparison. Lock was alllll hype and it was about 99% based on his offense around him. Locks best year from there was QB23. Hurts however just finished as QB9 and his offense could use a bit of improvement. They should give him another WR to compliment Devonta/Goedert. I wouldn't be surprised at all if they drafted a RB to compete with Sanders moving forward, unless they think Kenny is that guy.

I'm not sold Hurts is ever the long term answer and I'm not looking to buy high, but there's plenty of room for improvement

mild
Legend
Legend

Postby mild » Thu Jan 20, 2022 3:50 am

Everyone here seems pretty sure they don't want to be holding the bag. It's great.

https://youtu.be/_RQsQNDCW7E?t=3096

Here's the actual Ian Rapoport report, word for word, and then some reasonable, well thought out, sharp analysis from Hayden Winks and Josh Norris.

I won't belabour this thread too much more, I've had a great time hanging and posting with y'all. You know where I stand, I needn't keep repeating myself. For this offseason, all I'll say is this:

I can recall another top-5 athlete who happened to play QB in recent times, who also had a very tough time in his first playoff game. I can remember that offseason feeling a whole lot like this one. I can remember his team going all-in on his play-style that offseason, and actually building around him, both in system and with draft capital.

That man went on to win Fantasy MVP, NFL MVP, and broke Michael Vick's rushing record. If you drafted him that year, you probably won your league.

I'm just saying... we've stood here before. It's feeling -very- very familiar.

abloom
GOAT
GOAT

Postby abloom » Thu Jan 20, 2022 6:47 am

mild wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 3:50 am Everyone here seems pretty sure they don't want to be holding the bag. It's great.

https://youtu.be/_RQsQNDCW7E?t=3096

Here's the actual Ian Rapoport report, word for word, and then some reasonable, well thought out, sharp analysis from Hayden Winks and Josh Norris.

I won't belabour this thread too much more, I've had a great time hanging and posting with y'all. You know where I stand, I needn't keep repeating myself. For this offseason, all I'll say is this:

I can recall another top-5 athlete who happened to play QB in recent times, who also had a very tough time in his first playoff game. I can remember that offseason feeling a whole lot like this one. I can remember his team going all-in on his play-style that offseason, and actually building around him, both in system and with draft capital.

That man went on to win Fantasy MVP, NFL MVP, and broke Michael Vick's rushing record. If you drafted him that year, you probably won your league.

I'm just saying... we've stood here before. It's feeling -very- very familiar.
RG3 didn't do that.... Oh you mean the other one

Team #4 3rd

Team #5 4th

Team #6 orphan

dynastyninja
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby dynastyninja » Thu Jan 20, 2022 7:08 am

I think Hurts owners should be happy. Job security next year is huge for him. I don't know if I believe in the guy long term, but I'm also not inclined to doubt him. Mental makeup is there. He's Tim Tebow but better.

Space Cowboy
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Space Cowboy » Thu Jan 20, 2022 8:23 am

He's consistently late on his reads. Long term meh but his rushing will keep him afloat for a while.

Ice
Legend
Legend

Postby Ice » Thu Jan 20, 2022 9:32 am

Space Cowboy wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 8:23 am He's consistently late on his reads. Long term meh but his rushing will keep him afloat for a while.
Being late on reads along with serious deep ball accuracy will ultimately be his undoing if he doesn't improve. I agree his rushing may help him for a season but at the end of the day if a QB can't throw it on time with solid accuracy they won't survive in the NFL as a starting QB.
The Clock is Running and there are no Timeouts

Pyro_6138
Starter
Starter

Postby Pyro_6138 » Thu Jan 20, 2022 1:34 pm

I don't think Howie saying he's the starter in 2022 is the vote of confidence everyone thinks it is. All it takes is the Eagles falling in love with a projected early 1st QB and Hurts wont be in the picture. Look at the moves they made to go get Wentz or the overdrafting of Hurts I also think I remember him saying the same thing about Wentz before they shipped him out too.

If I'm Hurts regardless of where or what happens I'd be spending the offseason with someone like Jordan Palmer to try and fix my mechanics and read progression.
10 team .5pt PPR 1 QB, 2 RB, 2WR, 1TE, FLEX, 4DL, 4LB, 4DB

QB- Josh Allen, Garoppalo, Wentz, Pickett
RB- Swift, Josh Jacobs, CEH, Breece, Penny, Pacheco, Josh Kelley, Drake, Keontay Ingram, Hubbard
WR- Godwin, DJM, Cooks, Aiyuk Jeudy, Juju, Reynolds, Pickens,
TE- Andrews, Ertz, Jordan
DL- Leonard Williams, Payne, Ojulari, Franklin-Myers, Tuitt, Greenard,
LB- Shaq Thompson, Anthony Walker, Myles Jack, JOK, Kirksey, Oweh, Ernest Jones, Kyzir White
DB - Jessie Bates, Micah Hyde, Jalen Thompson, Quandre Diggs, Moehrig, Kareem Jackson, Gardner-Johnson

10 Team 4 Keepers IDP, 2QB, 2RB, 2WR, TE, 2WR/TE, 2IDP Flex, 2DL, 3LB 2DB

QB - Mayfield, Carr, Zach Wilson
RB - Chubb, Najee Harris, Ronald Jones, Michel
WR - Hopkins, OBJ, Claypool, Pittman, Sutton, Chase, Rondale Moore
TE - Kittle, Higbee
DL/ LB - Bosa, Shaq Barrett, Reddick, Chubb, Jabril Peppers, Landry, Jaelan Phillips
DB - Byard, Bates, Horn

AussieMate
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby AussieMate » Thu Jan 20, 2022 2:20 pm

I don't see it with Hurts, from all reports he's a great guy so I'm more than happy to cheer him on but I'm on the side of him being a backup in the future.