Unpopular Opinion: You will waste your premium 1st round pick on Kyle Pitts.

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
Ice
Legend
Legend

Re: Unpopular Opinion: You will waste your premium 1st round pick on Kyle Pitts.

Postby Ice » Wed Oct 27, 2021 9:57 am

At some point it should be obvious to all that the thread title is a complete joke.

We are 6-7 games into what appears to be long and outstanding careers for Pitts and Chase. YTD both are playing at Unicorn levels.

Claiming otherwise is straight up foolish. The reality is both are fortunate to date but I highly doubt their respective rookie seasons will even be their best.

Owning shares of Pitts, Chase, or Harris should make any dynasty owner ecstatic! How they were drafted is a personal preference but arguing which is better today is simply a style argument based on how one looks at top tier rookie picks based on team need or position value.

Anyone watching film of these three pre-draft could see the talent. All 3 were low risk fantasy picks at 1.1.

I had Pitts 1 and Chase 2. I guess in 10 years we will see which would have been the better pick once we get to reflect back on career numbers.
The Clock is Running and there are no Timeouts

PR0v3
Captain
Captain

Re: Unpopular Opinion: You will waste your premium 1st round pick on Kyle Pitts.

Postby PR0v3 » Wed Oct 27, 2021 10:58 am

Ice wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 9:57 am At some point it should be obvious to all that the thread title is a complete joke.

We are 6-7 games into what appears to be long and outstanding careers for Pitts and Chase. YTD both are playing at Unicorn levels.

Claiming otherwise is straight up foolish. The reality is both are fortunate to date but I highly doubt their respective rookie seasons will even be their best.

Owning shares of Pitts, Chase, or Harris should make any dynasty owner ecstatic! How they were drafted is a personal preference but arguing which is better today is simply a style argument based on how one looks at top tier rookie picks based on team need or position value.

Anyone watching film of these three pre-draft could see the talent. All 3 were low risk fantasy picks at 1.1.

I had Pitts 1 and Chase 2. I guess in 10 years we will see which would have been the better pick once we get to reflect back on career numbers.
Yep. I got mocked when I said Pitts had dynasty startup 1.01 overall potential. At this point he's a virtual lock to be a top 10 pick in startups next year, and he still has tons of room to grow.

He was/is a Calvin Johnson/Julio Jones level WR prospect that is listed on the internet as a TE. He has the potential to more valuable than any WR in fantasy football history, and WRs go 1.01 overall all the time. We will likely never see a prospect of his caliber, for fantasy football purposes, again.

Like the discussion on the last page was saying, those who were not in on Pitts need to seriously reevaluate their process. He was as can't-miss a WR prospect as it gets.
12 Team .5 PPR - 1 QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 TE, 1 WR/RB 20 man rosters, 5 man taxi est. 2018
QB: Dak, Pickett
RB: CMC, Taylor, Gibson, Dillon, Akers, Penny
WR: JJeff, Hollywood, Olave, Toney, Aiyuk, Jeudy, C. Davis, Boyd, C. Samuel,
TE: Njoku, Gesicki
2023 picks: 1.x, 2.x, 3.x, 4.x

mild
Legend
Legend

Kyle Pitts.

Postby mild » Wed Oct 27, 2021 1:37 pm

Anteaters wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 9:57 am I know a guy who saved nothing for his retirement and things were looking bleak. Then he hit a $200K lottery ticket and things are looking better. Now he tells everyone that the best retirement plan is to buy lottery tickets.
Good lord man, get this straw man argument out of the Kyle Pitts thread. It is as bleak as it is disingenuous.

A lottery ticket has flattened odds - one is as good as the next. One does not call "the greatest TE prospect I've ever scouted" or "the highest drafted TE in history" and then compare him to the Hunter Henry's and OJ Howards of the world as if they're the same thing.

There were signifiers that he was great, there were risks that had people talking, there was a clear price-point that you had to meet, and you looked at that risk combination to outcome possibility and decided the juice wasn't worth the squeeze. That's fine... now take your L.

It's done. He's really good. The juice was worth the squeeze.

YouMightDieTryin
MVP
MVP

Postby YouMightDieTryin » Wed Oct 27, 2021 2:51 pm

I'm just sorry i didn't waste a 1st round pick on Pitts. :(

Ended up trading my 1.04 for Sutton, 2022 1st, 2022 2nd. Only agreed on the trade as I knew Pitts would go 1.03 leaving me with ETN (who I truly didn't want) so my choice was sealed.
10-Team Dynasty League QB/RB/RB/WR/WR/WR/FLEX (23 man rosters + 2 IR + 2 Taxi, non-PPR scoring)
QB: Herbert, Goff
RB: Bijan, JT, Saquon, J.Cook, K.Hunt, Foreman, Z.White, McKinnon, S.Tucker
WR: G.Wilson, Olave, Jeudy, Pittman, J.Williams, OBJ, N. Brown, JuJu,
TE: Chig, Conklin, L. Thomas
Taxi: M.Mims, Ro. Johnson
'24: (4) 1sts, 2nd, (2) 3rds, 4th
'25: (2) 1sts, 2nd, 3rd, 4th

Jrblaha
Captain
Captain

Postby Jrblaha » Wed Oct 27, 2021 3:19 pm

PR0v3 wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 10:58 am
Ice wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 9:57 am At some point it should be obvious to all that the thread title is a complete joke.

We will likely never see a prospect of his caliber, for fantasy football purposes, again.
It’s more likely there will be a prospect of his caliber, for fantasy football purposes, again (than not again). I guess I don’t know how old you are, or how long football will last, but I’d be shocked if I never see another prospect this good before I die. One could argue he hasn’t even been the best prospect of this draft class so far. But he has been great lately 👌 and I hope he keeps it up, he’s fun to watch
12 team. PPR. QB pass td = 6
Starters: QB(1) FLEX (RB/WR/TE)(2) RB(2) WR(3) TE(1)

QB: AR, DJones
RB: Gibby, Charb, KMiller, Akers
WR: Chase, Lamb, G Wilson, Tank Dell, Burks, Mimsy, Tutu, W Robinson, Tucker, Wicks, RBell
TE: DNjoku, Hunter Henry

Draft Picks: 2024: 1.2, 1.5, 1.11. 2025: 1st Round (2) 2nd Round (1), 2026: 1st Round (1) 2nd Round (2)

mild
Legend
Legend

Postby mild » Wed Oct 27, 2021 3:37 pm

Jrblaha wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 3:19 pm It’s more likely there will be a prospect of his caliber, for fantasy football purposes, again (than not again). I guess I don’t know how old you are, or how long football will last, but I’d be shocked if I never see another prospect this good before I die. One could argue he hasn’t even been the best prospect of this draft class so far. But he has been great lately 👌 and I hope he keeps it up, he’s fun to watch
To be fair, we don't know how old you are. You might be in TERRIBLE health! You might even get hit by a bus sometime soon! :lol:

We can at least agree, even if he's not the best prospect in this class - he's in tremendous company this year. Special talent, special player.

PR0v3
Captain
Captain

Postby PR0v3 » Wed Oct 27, 2021 3:51 pm

Jrblaha wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 3:19 pm

We will likely never see a prospect of his caliber, for fantasy football purposes, again.
It’s more likely there will be a prospect of his caliber, for fantasy football purposes, again (than not again). I guess I don’t know how old you are, or how long football will last, but I’d be shocked if I never see another prospect this good before I die. One could argue he hasn’t even been the best prospect of this draft class so far. But he has been great lately 👌 and I hope he keeps it up, he’s fun to watch
I've been playing fantasy football for 20 years now, there has never been a prospect like Kyle Pitts. There have been Julio Jones and Calvin Johnsons, but those guys were, as we know, listed as WRs. Pitts was the same caliber receiving prospect but listed as a TE.

The odds of another Pitts/Julio/Calvin type prospect coming along in the next X years and also being listed as a TE are incredibly slim. There will be more like him, of course, but in all likelihood they will be WRs.

In fantasy football history, Pitts is one of a kind. He's Calvin Johnson in your TE slot, we've never seen that before and I doubt we will again in the next 20 years, at a minimum.
12 Team .5 PPR - 1 QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 TE, 1 WR/RB 20 man rosters, 5 man taxi est. 2018
QB: Dak, Pickett
RB: CMC, Taylor, Gibson, Dillon, Akers, Penny
WR: JJeff, Hollywood, Olave, Toney, Aiyuk, Jeudy, C. Davis, Boyd, C. Samuel,
TE: Njoku, Gesicki
2023 picks: 1.x, 2.x, 3.x, 4.x

qazxswedcvfrtgbnhyuj
Captain
Captain

Postby qazxswedcvfrtgbnhyuj » Wed Oct 27, 2021 5:09 pm

Just figured I'd share some offers for Pitts that were declined in a few of my non TE-Premium leagues this week. The time to buy - if there ever was one since the draft - has officially passed with that monster of a game.

1. Pitts for Gibson and a 2nd
2. Pitts for Lamb
3. Pitts for Hockenson, R Moore and T Marshall (16 teamer, where depth is pretty important)
4. Pitts for Barkley

Not taking one side or the other on these, just stating that at least in a few of my leagues he has entered top 5 overall player status, and while he may have been difficult to trade for 2 weeks ago, it has become basically impossible at this point..

Jrblaha
Captain
Captain

Postby Jrblaha » Wed Oct 27, 2021 5:18 pm

mild wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 3:37 pm
Jrblaha wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 3:19 pm It’s more likely there will be a prospect of his caliber, for fantasy football purposes, again (than not again). I guess I don’t know how old you are, or how long football will last, but I’d be shocked if I never see another prospect this good before I die. One could argue he hasn’t even been the best prospect of this draft class so far. But he has been great lately 👌 and I hope he keeps it up, he’s fun to watch
To be fair, we don't know how old you are. You might be in TERRIBLE health! You might even get hit by a bus sometime soon! :lol:

We can at least agree, even if he's not the best prospect in this class - he's in tremendous company this year. Special talent, special player.
Haha, completely agree on all points. I’m in my 30s, but plan on living past 100. Taking multiple busses out along the way :)

WR: Chase, Lamb, G Wilson, Tank Dell, Burks, Mimsy, Tutu, W Robinson, Tucker, Wicks, RBell

Draft Picks: 2024: 1.2, 1.5, 1.11. 2025: 1st Round (2) 2nd Round (1), 2026: 1st Round (1) 2nd Round (2)

Jrblaha
Captain
Captain

Postby Jrblaha » Wed Oct 27, 2021 5:22 pm

PR0v3 wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 3:51 pm
Jrblaha wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 3:19 pm

I've been playing fantasy football for 20 years now, there has never been a prospect like Kyle Pitts. There have been Julio Jones and Calvin Johnsons, but those guys were, as we know, listed as WRs. Pitts was the same caliber receiving prospect but listed as a TE.

The odds of another Pitts/Julio/Calvin type prospect coming along in the next X years and also being listed as a TE are incredibly slim. There will be more like him, of course, but in all likelihood they will be WRs.

In fantasy football history, Pitts is one of a kind. He's Calvin Johnson in your TE slot, we've never seen that before and I doubt we will again in the next 20 years, at a minimum.
I think it’s gonna become more common to see crazy elite receiving options listed at TE. 20 years is pretty different than never seeing something again imo. But I will say, I think Pitts seems special. But I think we’ll see that type of special again

DynastyKing23
Role Player
Role Player

Postby DynastyKing23 » Wed Oct 27, 2021 6:14 pm

My personal opinion on Pitts was always he's as can't miss as they get for a prospect. Blue chip, skies the limit, position defining kind of prospect that you strive for with your 1st round pick. I constantly found myself thinking, if he was listed as a WR instead of a TE he would be taken top 5 across most leagues with no questions asked. Depending how you graded them out it would have either been chase or Pitts as the WR1 and WR2 with Smith, waddle, etc all following in some sort of order. He was a Calvin Johnson comparison prospect and good enough that he would've shot up the boards with no one saying look at the history of 1st round WR, they all let you down and you can buy them cheaper in a year or two. Draft RB instead and save yourself the headache.

But he's not a WR, he's listed at TE. Which makes us all compare him to the history of the position and ask all those questions and have all those reservations. You needed to grade him based on his physical attributes and profile and see past the TE designation. The fact that he's listed as a TE just means he's even more of a Unicorn and position defining prospect as you now have that WR1 production coming from your TE slot while others are struggling to predict which guy in the TE wasteland will give them 10 pts and which will give them 5 for the week. If he was listed as a WR you'd still love to have him as your WR1 but it'd be easier to take chase or najee over him due to the nature of the RB position and the amount of WRs that can put up good numbers every week. As a TE I don't think I'd give him up for either.

Going into the season I saw the TEs ranked as kelce and waller, then pitts. And that's as a rookie with 2 guys getting long in the tooth. Kittle is no longer elite, maybe borderline but not elite. Then you have a list of guys you hope can make the jump but it's still a struggle with fant, Hock, etc.
12 team PPR 1QB, 2RB, 2WR, 1TE, 2 FLEX

QB- Burrow, Murray, Stafford, G Smith
RB- CMC, Taylor, Swift, Jacobs, B Hall, Gibbs, A Jones, Najee
WR- Kupp, AJB, ARSB, K Allen, Pittman, London, Puka, Dell
TE- Kelce, Hockenson, Pitts

Picks

2024 2nd, (2)3rd, 5th
2025 1st, (2)3rd, 5th
2025 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th

McCafsteez
All Pro
All Pro

Postby McCafsteez » Wed Oct 27, 2021 8:12 pm

DynastyKing23 wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 6:14 pm My personal opinion on Pitts was always he's as can't miss as they get for a prospect. Blue chip, skies the limit, position defining kind of prospect that you strive for with your 1st round pick. I constantly found myself thinking, if he was listed as a WR instead of a TE he would be taken top 5 across most leagues with no questions asked. Depending how you graded them out it would have either been chase or Pitts as the WR1 and WR2 with Smith, waddle, etc all following in some sort of order. He was a Calvin Johnson comparison prospect and good enough that he would've shot up the boards with no one saying look at the history of 1st round WR, they all let you down and you can buy them cheaper in a year or two. Draft RB instead and save yourself the headache.

But he's not a WR, he's listed at TE. Which makes us all compare him to the history of the position and ask all those questions and have all those reservations. You needed to grade him based on his physical attributes and profile and see past the TE designation. The fact that he's listed as a TE just means he's even more of a Unicorn and position defining prospect as you now have that WR1 production coming from your TE slot while others are struggling to predict which guy in the TE wasteland will give them 10 pts and which will give them 5 for the week. If he was listed as a WR you'd still love to have him as your WR1 but it'd be easier to take chase or najee over him due to the nature of the RB position and the amount of WRs that can put up good numbers every week. As a TE I don't think I'd give him up for either.

Going into the season I saw the TEs ranked as kelce and waller, then pitts. And that's as a rookie with 2 guys getting long in the tooth. Kittle is no longer elite, maybe borderline but not elite. Then you have a list of guys you hope can make the jump but it's still a struggle with fant, Hock, etc.
This is a great piece. Perhaps I was too short sighted and was primarily focused on the TE designation. It was also incredibly important for him to land on a franchise that knows how to utilize him. I’ll admit, he does look great, but this single TE example still doesn’t sway my belief that TEs are historically difficult to predict in FF. I’m leaning into believing more and more into Pitts which I am sure you guys are ecstatic about :whistle: :lol:

On a side note, not sure I will ever change the name of this thread. Whether you are on one side or the other, this has been a wild ride and we all know it will continue with great replies!
The Other Woman Dynasty League - 12 Team PPR (QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, TE, 2 Flex)
QB: Herbert, Lance, Stafford
RB: Bijan, Hall, Cook, Chubb, Mattison
WR: Adams, Hill, Hopkins, Robinson
TE: Waller, Engram
-
You’re in this for Life - 12 Team 0.5 PPR
(QB, 1 RB, 1 WR, TE, 3 Flex)

QB: Fields, Young, Richardson, Smith
RB: Bijan, Gibbs, A. Jones
WR: Metcalf, JSN, Addison, Q. Johnston, Mingo, Rice
TE: Kincaid, Mayer, Gesicki
2024 Picks - (x3) 1sts
-
Dynasty Addiction - 12 Team PPR /SF (QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, TE, 2 Flex, SF)
QB: Lawrence, Fields
RB: Bijan, Dobbins, Etienne, Walker
WR: AJ Brown, Godwin, Bateman
TE: Kittle

Anteaters
Legend
Legend

Postby Anteaters » Thu Oct 28, 2021 2:26 am

YouMightDieTryin wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 2:51 pm I'm just sorry i didn't waste a 1st round pick on Pitts. :(
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Me too.
I'm glad I chose Chase over Pitts, but I had a chance to get Pitts with my next 1st and I took ETN instead. I think I would have been satisfied with ETN had he not been injured, but when I think of the haul I might be able to get by trading Pitts now I want to cry.
TEAM 1:
12 Team ppr w/20 keepers - start 1QB 2RB 3WR 1TE 1FLX 6IDP 1DEF
QB: Tua, Lamar, Levis
RB: Etienne, Pacheco, JavonteWms, JFord, CEH
WR: Lamb, JChase, Waddle, Pickens, Tre Tucker, Q Johnston
TE: Goedert, Friermuth
DEF: Cowboys, Ravens
IDP:(LB) Bolton, Greenlaw; (DE/DL) ZCollins, BJHill; (S/CB) Pitre, Bates, Witherspoon
IR: Mike Williams (WR), Joey Bosa (DL)
2023 & 2022 Champion: 2020 third place: 2019 Champion

TEAM 2:
14 Team 30roster SF/ppr/TEP - QB/RB/WR/TE/5FLX/SF
QB: Tua, CJStroud, Carr, AOC, MWhite, Lock
RB: Etienne, Stevenson, GusE, AJD, Singletary, CEH, Spiller
WR: Amon-Ra, Kirk, Dell, Thielen, Gallup, Ch Jones
TE: Andrews, Waller, Taysom, Smythe, WMallory, JOliver
2023 semifinals loser

RheinlandChief
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby RheinlandChief » Thu Oct 28, 2021 5:45 am

Got him with my 1.10 pick in the draft. I'm not sorry for anything 8-)

Sorry should be my League-mate, who took Sermon with his 1.9 :lol:
16-team Dynasty, 40 Roster, Half-PPR + IDP (QB, 2RB, 2WR, TE, W/R/T, W/R, DEF, K, IDP, 2DL, 2LB, 2DB)
QB: Mahomes
RB: Achane, Warren, Spears, McLaughlin, Brown,
WR: DJM, Jeudy, London, Pickens, Downs, Meyers, W. Robinson, Samuel, Tucker
TE: LaPorta, Pitts, Okonkwo, Otton
K: McLaughlin
DEF: Patriots, Bengals
DL: Garrett, Crosby, Hutchinson, Chase Young, J. Bosa, Tuipulotu
LB: Parsons, Bolton, Lloyd, Campbell, Byron Young
DB: Winfield, Pitre, Hufanga, Bland

Picks 2024: 1st, 2x 3rd, 2x 4th, 5th, 6th

Jigga94
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Jigga94 » Thu Oct 28, 2021 6:19 am

RheinlandChief wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 5:45 am Got him with my 1.10 pick in the draft. I'm not sorry for anything 8-)

Sorry should be my League-mate, who took Sermon with his 1.9 :lol:
There was never a reason for him to fall that far unless you don't have a TE starting requirement. Congrats