The Deshaun Watson Discussion Thread

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Re: Is it time to panic with Deshaun Watson yet?

Postby FantasyFreak » Wed Oct 27, 2021 6:10 am

abloom wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 5:01 am
FantasyFreak wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 8:46 pm
BlackOmega wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 5:06 pm sounds like he's a heartbeat from being a Dolphin and if he is traded before the deadline could play this year as the league is claiming they don't have enough info to put him on the exempt list. Which makes sense as it seems clear the league will do everything they can to avoid taking any action until there is some sort of clarity over the legal situation
https://twitter.com/flasportsbuzz/statu ... gr%5Etweet

This guy (27 years with the Miami Herald) claiming they want the legal issues resolved before consummating the deal, so not so sure. Could be something that will be pushed to the off season.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/desh ... -resolved/

Here, too.

I wonder if the civil gets settled out of court (which Watson doesn't want), if they'd make the deal, or wait for the criminal, if it's still active, I never heard the cases were closed, so not sure. Either way, far from a done deal it seems.
If this all gets settled it will cost Miami more. Right now they can get a discount in exchange for a little risk. They may view it worth it. Miami just wants to make sure that if they make the trade, Watson isn't suddenly going to be on the commissioners exempt list.

But that's not what they are saying, they are saying they want his cases settled. I don't blame them either. Regardless of what the league has said about his current situation, the reports are Miami wants his court stuff settled. Watson will end up on the exempt list at some point, or suspended, it just might be next year. They have to know that's almost guaranteed at some point.
"You're a creep. You got caught.." -Dan Patrick

Orenthal Shames
Legend
Legend

Postby Orenthal Shames » Wed Oct 27, 2021 7:30 am

abloom wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 5:48 am
Orenthal Shames wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 5:45 am
abloom wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 5:01 am

If this all gets settled it will cost Miami more. Right now they can get a discount in exchange for a little risk. They may view it worth it. Miami just wants to make sure that if they make the trade, Watson isn't suddenly going to be on the commissioners exempt list. It's previously been discussed that the reason he's not on it now is because Houston is content with paying him and having him sit and Watson is content to sit and get paid.

The commissioner is avoiding making any moves right now because if he doesn't do anything he can't be blamed for making the wrong move and he can just wait.

If Watson is traded and going to play it puts more pressure on the commish and Miami wants to make certain that Watson won't end up on the commissioner exempt list because of it.

Additionally let's be clear, there is no way the legal process will be concluded by the time the trade deadline approaches. Even if the civil complaints were settled there is still the criminal complaints which won't begin until 2022. Further by putting this requirement on Watson to make the trade work, gives leverage to the accusers. And again let's not forget, Watson is still being paid. He can sit, get paid, and have his day in court or he can shell out money, play, and be labeled (rightly or wrongly) as a sexual predator.
I don't disagree, but i'd bet the criminal complaints get dropped once the civil suits are settled.
Maybe but not necessarily. Once criminal complaints are settled it's up to the DA/police on whether or not to proceed. And I know you said you don't disagree so this isn't directed at you, but let's remember Watson has had ample time to settle this. He has chosen not to.
I don't pretend to be an expert in the legality of the matter. Nobody can know for sure except those involved directly. Almost nothing would shock me either way, but if I were to lay odds, I would lean towards everything being settled at some point. The majority of the accusers in the criminal cases are also plaintiffs in the civil cases, all but 2. There's also been rumors of FBI investigations on extortion as well.
16 team league
1 QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 TE, 2 Flex (RB/WR/TE)
26 upman rosters - full point ppr
2015, 17, 18, 19, 20 Champs

QB: Watson, Flacco Stidham
RB: Bijan, Gibbs, McLaughlin
WR: Olave, Addison, Flowers, Rice, Sutton, Downs, Mims, Tillman
TE: Kittle, Goedert, Chig, Woods
24 Picks: 1.06

abloom
GOAT
GOAT

Postby abloom » Wed Oct 27, 2021 7:45 am

Orenthal Shames wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 7:30 am
Orenthal Shames wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 5:45 am

I don't disagree, but i'd bet the criminal complaints get dropped once the civil suits are settled.
Maybe but not necessarily. Once criminal complaints are settled it's up to the DA/police on whether or not to proceed. And I know you said you don't disagree so this isn't directed at you, but let's remember Watson has had ample time to settle this. He has chosen not to.
I don't pretend to be an expert in the legality of the matter. Nobody can know for sure except those involved directly. Almost nothing would shock me either way, but if I were to lay odds, I would lean towards everything being settled at some point. The majority of the accusers in the criminal cases are also plaintiffs in the civil cases, all but 2. There's also been rumors of FBI investigations on extortion as well.
Whoops I said "once complaints are settled" meant to say "once complaints are filed". Criminal complaints are followed through by the police and DA. It's up to them to pursue the case. They have to weigh the likelihood of a conviction among other things. In order to convict they need witnesses. If the witnesses are no longer willing to testify or if the DA believes that their testimony will be less persuasive after a civil settlement then they can choose to not pursue charges.

However just because a civil suit is settled it does not automatically mean that the criminal charges are simply dropped.
Team #1: 2nd place
12 team, 1 ppr (1.5 te), 1Q,2R,2W,1T,2F,1D,1K

Q: Kyler, AR
R: JT, CMC, Barkley, chandler
W: Evans, Chase, Mooney, Collins, Dell, Pickens
T: Kelce, Goedert
D: nyj
K: Sanders

Team #2: back to back champion
12 team, 1ppr (1.5 te), 1Q,2R,2W,1T,1SF,1F,1D,1K

Q: R Wilson, Murray, Watson
R: Swift, Walker, gus bus
W: Puka, Metcalf, Dell, Cooper, DJM, K Allen
T: Kelce, Pitts
K: Tucker
D: CLE

Team #3: back to back champion
14 team, SF, 1PPR (2PPR for TE), 1Q,2R,3W,1T,1SF,2F

Q: Mahomes, Rodgers, Watson, Heinicke, walker
R: Mostert, walker, a Jones, Wilson, Charb, Z White, McLaughlin, freeman, d Williams, Reynolds,
W: Waddle, A St Brown, K Allen, Cooper, Nuk, Juju
T: Kelce, Schultz, Thomas, Ferguson

Team #4 3rd
https://www49.myfantasyleague.com/2024/ ... =0004&O=01

Team #5 4th
https://www45.myfantasyleague.com/2024/ ... =07&F=0009

Team #6 orphan
https://www46.myfantasyleague.com/2024/ ... =0013&O=07

Orenthal Shames
Legend
Legend

Postby Orenthal Shames » Wed Oct 27, 2021 8:00 am

abloom wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 7:45 am

Whoops I said "once complaints are settled" meant to say "once complaints are filed". Criminal complaints are followed through by the police and DA. It's up to them to pursue the case. They have to weigh the likelihood of a conviction among other things. In order to convict they need witnesses. If the witnesses are no longer willing to testify or if the DA believes that their testimony will be less persuasive after a civil settlement then they can choose to not pursue charges.

However just because a civil suit is settled it does not automatically mean that the criminal charges are simply dropped.
Not at all. I'm saying that I'd imagine those pursuing criminal cases would likely drop them if they get what they want in the civil ones as part of the agreement, whether under the table or not.
16 team league

abloom
GOAT
GOAT

Postby abloom » Wed Oct 27, 2021 9:30 am

Orenthal Shames wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 8:00 am

Not at all. I'm saying that I'd imagine those pursuing criminal cases would likely drop them if they get what they want in the civil ones as part of the agreement, whether under the table or not.

Right but what I'm saying is that accusers cannot choose to drop criminal charges. Pressing charges isn't a thing like you see in movies or tv.
Team #1: 2nd place
12 team, 1 ppr (1.5 te), 1Q,2R,2W,1T,2F,1D,1K

Q: Kyler, AR
R: JT, CMC, Barkley, chandler
W: Evans, Chase, Mooney, Collins, Dell, Pickens
T: Kelce, Goedert
D: nyj
K: Sanders

Team #2: back to back champion
12 team, 1ppr (1.5 te), 1Q,2R,2W,1T,1SF,1F,1D,1K

Q: R Wilson, Murray, Watson
R: Swift, Walker, gus bus
W: Puka, Metcalf, Dell, Cooper, DJM, K Allen
T: Kelce, Pitts
K: Tucker
D: CLE

Team #3: back to back champion
14 team, SF, 1PPR (2PPR for TE), 1Q,2R,3W,1T,1SF,2F

Q: Mahomes, Rodgers, Watson, Heinicke, walker
R: Mostert, walker, a Jones, Wilson, Charb, Z White, McLaughlin, freeman, d Williams, Reynolds,
W: Waddle, A St Brown, K Allen, Cooper, Nuk, Juju
T: Kelce, Schultz, Thomas, Ferguson

Team #4 3rd
https://www49.myfantasyleague.com/2024/ ... =0004&O=01

Team #5 4th
https://www45.myfantasyleague.com/2024/ ... =07&F=0009

Team #6 orphan
https://www46.myfantasyleague.com/2024/ ... =0013&O=07

Anteaters
Legend
Legend

Postby Anteaters » Wed Oct 27, 2021 9:45 am

Orenthal Shames wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 8:00 am those pursuing criminal cases would likely drop them if they get what they want in the civil ones as part of the agreement, whether under the table or not.
Some may drop the criminal case. Many may. It is also possible that for some of the plaintiffs, what they want cannot be achieved in only a civil case. If what they want includes a criminal prosecution, those plaintiffs will continue to pursue a criminal case.

A lot of outsiders are assuming all of the women want only money. It's possible some want justice.
Last edited by Anteaters on Wed Oct 27, 2021 9:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
TEAM 1:
12 Team ppr w/20 keepers - start 1QB 2RB 3WR 1TE 1FLX 6IDP 1DEF
QB: Tua, Lamar, Levis
RB: Etienne, Pacheco, JavonteWms, JFord, CEH
WR: Lamb, JChase, Waddle, Pickens, MWilliams, Q Johnston
TE: Goedert, Friermuth
DEF: Cowboys, Ravens
IDP:(LB) Bolton, Greenlaw; (DE/DL) ZCollins, BJHill; (S/CB) Pitre, Bates, Witherspoon
2023 & 2022 Champion: 2020 third place: 2019 Champion

TEAM 2:
14 Team 30roster SF/ppr/TEP - QB/RB/WR/TE/5FLX/SF
QB: Tua, CJStroud, Carr, AOC, MWhite, Lock
RB: Etienne, Stevenson, GusE, AJD, Singletary, CEH, Spiller
WR: Amon-Ra, Kirk, Dell, Thielen, Gallup, Ch Jones
TE: Andrews, Waller, Taysom, Smythe, WMallory, JOliver
2023 semifinals loser

NWABCS
Captain
Captain

Postby NWABCS » Wed Oct 27, 2021 9:46 am

So we don't have a trade in place... or we do... but we don't...
Attachments
josinadeshaun.jpg
josinadeshaun.jpg (58.09 KiB) Viewed 473 times
12 team
1/2 PPR
Start: 1QB, 2RB, 1 R/W/T, 3W/T, 1SF, 1K, 1 DEF

QB: Mahomes, Burrow, Lawrence
RB: Bijan Robinson, J. Taylor, Etienne, B. Hall, Roschon Johnson, Najee
WR/TE: J. Jefferson, D. Samuel, AJ Brown, DJ Moore, J. Chase, Waddle, Nico Collins, Rashee Rice
K: Butker
DEF: Bills
2024 picks: 1.11, 3.04
2025 picks: 1st, two 2nds

12 team
1/2 ppr
Start: 1QB, 2RB, 1R/W/T, 3 W/T, 1SF

QB: Mahomes, Josh Allen, Aidan O'Connell, Mason Rudolph
RB: Javonte Williams, Barkley, Etienne, J. Warren, D. Foreman, K. Herbert, N. Harris, Chris Rodriguez
WR/TE: D. Adams, DJ Moore, DK Metcalf, Waddle, Pittman, Drake London, ARSB, Mark Andrews
2024 picks: 1.04, 2.01, 2.12, 3.05, 3.11, 4.04, 4.09, 5.05, 5.07
2025 picks: two 2nds

Orenthal Shames
Legend
Legend

Postby Orenthal Shames » Wed Oct 27, 2021 10:04 am

abloom wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 9:30 am
Orenthal Shames wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 8:00 am

Right but what I'm saying is that accusers cannot choose to drop criminal charges. Pressing charges isn't a thing like you see in movies or tv.
Appreciate the clarification! I guess my terminology was wrong. Swap in drop complaints for no longer willing to testify then I suppose, or whatever the equivalent would be.
16 team league

Ice
Legend
Legend

Postby Ice » Wed Oct 27, 2021 10:27 am

So there seems to be a lot of talk of Criminal Cases but there are none to date. The Houston Police I am sure have spoken to all relevant parties months ago at this point and the FBI was also involved but that may have been an extortion attempt.

There is nothing to drop and if criminal charges are ever filed it won't be by individuals.

Teams would be foolish to trade for him at this point. Teams do foolish things a lot but still, trading for him would look next level stupid at this point.
The Clock is Running and there are no Timeouts

Orenthal Shames
Legend
Legend

Postby Orenthal Shames » Wed Oct 27, 2021 11:24 am

Ice wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 10:27 am So there seems to be a lot of talk of Criminal Cases but there are none to date. The Houston Police I am sure have spoken to all relevant parties months ago at this point and the FBI was also involved but that may have been an extortion attempt.

There is nothing to drop and if criminal charges are ever filed it won't be by individuals.

Teams would be foolish to trade for him at this point. Teams do foolish things a lot but still, trading for him would look next level stupid at this point.
Unless nothing major materializes and they get an elite, young QB at a discount, then they look genius.
16 team league

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Wed Oct 27, 2021 11:44 am

Ice wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 10:27 am So there seems to be a lot of talk of Criminal Cases but there are none to date. The Houston Police I am sure have spoken to all relevant parties months ago at this point and the FBI was also involved but that may have been an extortion attempt.

I'd be very surprised if someone does right now. More likely to me is this off season, but you never know. With the Dolphins, it's not like they are vying for a playoff spot, so no rush. I bet they wish they had their first right now, and Devonta Smith, instead of Waddle. That trade is looking awful right now, even worse than it looked at the time.
"You're a creep. You got caught.." -Dan Patrick

burntfire
Role Player
Role Player

Postby burntfire » Wed Oct 27, 2021 1:13 pm

The trade isn't happening before the deadline. I expect him to move closer to the draft.
14 Team Super Flex, 1 PPR
QB, 3WR, 2RB, 1TE, 1 Flex, 1 SFlex, 3 IR

QB: Davis Mills, Kenny Pickett, Sam Darnold, Matt Corral
WR: Chris Godwin, A.J Brown, D.K. Metcalf, Jerry Jeudy, Jalen Reagor, Allen Lazard, K.J. Osborn, Skyy Moore, Tutu Atwell, Greg Dortch
RB: Josh Jacobs, Khalil Herbert, Tyson Chandler, Ronald Jones, K Gainwell
TE: Robert Tonyan, David Njoku, Jonnu Smith, Gerald Everett, Jelani Woods
2023: 1.05, 1.08
2024: 1

mild
Legend
Legend

Postby mild » Wed Oct 27, 2021 3:15 pm

burntfire wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 1:13 pm The trade isn't happening before the deadline. I expect him to move closer to the draft.
Source? Lol.

It's up in the air. I'm holding him in 2 redrafts on the off-chance they pull the trigger.

The fact that the Dolphins line is "we want his legal status resolved" (when we know that's very hard to do before Tuesday, if not impossible) and the Texans line is "they still haven't met our price" means that they are haggling over the deal. Both are leaking these stories in order to try and make the other side blink - but there's clear smoke and fire here.

I'm sure the Texans would love to get off this sorry story asap rather than continue to have it drag out. I think the Dolphins are desperate enough to "pave over" their Tua/Herbert misstep and set a plan in place for 2022 that they might just do it, and scoop him as a distressed asset - convincing themselves it's worth the gamble to get the talent, considering he's just turned 26.

I mean, Mike Vick played again after going to prison...

burntfire
Role Player
Role Player

Postby burntfire » Wed Oct 27, 2021 4:07 pm

mild wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 3:15 pm
burntfire wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 1:13 pm The trade isn't happening before the deadline. I expect him to move closer to the draft.
Source? Lol.

It's up in the air. I'm holding him in 2 redrafts on the off-chance they pull the trigger.

The fact that the Dolphins line is "we want his legal status resolved" (when we know that's very hard to do before Tuesday, if not impossible) and the Texans line is "they still haven't met our price" means that they are haggling over the deal. Both are leaking these stories in order to try and make the other side blink - but there's clear smoke and fire here.

I'm sure the Texans would love to get off this sorry story asap rather than continue to have it drag out. I think the Dolphins are desperate enough to "pave over" their Tua/Herbert misstep and set a plan in place for 2022 that they might just do it, and scoop him as a distressed asset - convincing themselves it's worth the gamble to get the talent, considering he's just turned 26.

I mean, Mike Vick played again after going to prison...
I'm from Houston and know when certain reports come from certain reporters what camp is sending it out. I 100% believe this is the Watson camp saying that a deal should happen etc etc especially when it comes from McClain.

That being said, the new GM seems pretty sharp and I don't believe he'll ship Watson out without a ton of pieces. The longshot here is McNair selling the team and Watson actually stays since he and McNair apparently despise each other. (Hey I can dream)

What's hilarious is Watson wants to go to Miami who would have theoretically just traded away their future to obtain him. Going from one dumpster fire to one with no future for the next 3+ years.
14 Team Super Flex, 1 PPR
QB, 3WR, 2RB, 1TE, 1 Flex, 1 SFlex, 3 IR

QB: Davis Mills, Kenny Pickett, Sam Darnold, Matt Corral
WR: Chris Godwin, A.J Brown, D.K. Metcalf, Jerry Jeudy, Jalen Reagor, Allen Lazard, K.J. Osborn, Skyy Moore, Tutu Atwell, Greg Dortch
RB: Josh Jacobs, Khalil Herbert, Tyson Chandler, Ronald Jones, K Gainwell
TE: Robert Tonyan, David Njoku, Jonnu Smith, Gerald Everett, Jelani Woods
2023: 1.05, 1.08
2024: 1

Anteaters
Legend
Legend

Postby Anteaters » Thu Oct 28, 2021 3:17 am

Ice wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 10:27 amTeams would be foolish to trade for him at this point. Teams do foolish things a lot but still, trading for him would look next level stupid at this point.
I agree. As a Dolphins fan, I'm terrified the rumors are true. Of all the possible veteran QB acquisitions, I think I'd rather have anyone else rather than waste 1sts 2nds and quality players on getting Watson. Miami's last big Free Agent QB Decision was Brees OR Culpepper, and that went about as terrible as it could have. The decision should be Russ or Aaron or just keep Tua. Hell, I'd rather take a chance on Trubinsky than give up what it would take to acquire Watson in trade.

If he's coming as a free agent (or very cheap), sure, I'm on board. If we have to give up multiple 1sts and/or 2nds and players, I don't want him until his legal troubles (and possible NFL suspension) are over.
TEAM 1:
12 Team ppr w/20 keepers - start 1QB 2RB 3WR 1TE 1FLX 6IDP 1DEF
QB: Tua, Lamar, Levis
RB: Etienne, Pacheco, JavonteWms, JFord, CEH
WR: Lamb, JChase, Waddle, Pickens, MWilliams, Q Johnston
TE: Goedert, Friermuth
DEF: Cowboys, Ravens
IDP:(LB) Bolton, Greenlaw; (DE/DL) ZCollins, BJHill; (S/CB) Pitre, Bates, Witherspoon
2023 & 2022 Champion: 2020 third place: 2019 Champion

TEAM 2:
14 Team 30roster SF/ppr/TEP - QB/RB/WR/TE/5FLX/SF
QB: Tua, CJStroud, Carr, AOC, MWhite, Lock
RB: Etienne, Stevenson, GusE, AJD, Singletary, CEH, Spiller
WR: Amon-Ra, Kirk, Dell, Thielen, Gallup, Ch Jones
TE: Andrews, Waller, Taysom, Smythe, WMallory, JOliver
2023 semifinals loser