jenkins.math
All Pro
All Pro

Re: My over-valued rookie RB for 2021? Javonte Williams

Postby jenkins.math » Mon Apr 12, 2021 7:20 am

Bronco Billy wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 6:01 am
jenkins.math wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 5:41 am
Bronco Billy wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 4:51 am

I’m obviously a Williams proponent, but I have Harris close behind. I like his all-around versatility as much as Williams’. I’m guessing some people ding Harris because of age, but I’m not one of them.

My main concern with Harris is some uncertainty when he’s not surrounded by a team that is physically superior across the board like ‘Bama was. I watch the Harris’ lesser performances like the ‘20 A&M game and I see a lot of hesitation when Harris is not presented with a clear open gap in the line. Williams looks to be much more capable of creating something when there is little to nothing there. If Harris’ hesitation when presented with skinny seams carries over, that’s almost a death sentence for his being a 3 down RBs in the bigs.

Right now Harris and Williams are the only guys in this draft that I see with legit 3 down capability and are situation-proof. I’m pretty sure another 1 or 2 will show up, but my guess is it will be guys that come out of nowhere and adapt almost perfectly to the pro game.
The fact that Williams had another 1000 yard rusher on his own team this year that nobody thinks is a special prospect doesn't concern you? Or when UNC finally played a good team Javonte averaged 2.5 yards per carry in that game (for the record Harris averged 8.9 against that same Note Dame squad)?

UNC played a horrible schedule this year. Trying to compare what Harris did in the SEC to Williams and his soft ACC schedule isn't a fair comparison.
Carter being a good RB doesn’t affect my opinion on Williams. Why would it?

The SEC was’t all that defensively. Alabama overwhelmed all of their opponents badly. You really want to make an apples to apples comparison from what Harris had around him vs Williams and compare a common opponent? C’mon, be serious. And NC’s O line wasn’t anywhere near what Harris had to run behind. Watch their play against even average Ds.

When I’m evaluating players I watch what they do as individuals in the situations they are placed. I pay careful attention to how they play when they have their less productive days to see how they reacted in tough situations, since that’s what they’ll see at the next level even though the talent level is much more evenly matched in the NFL. I don’t see how you’re going to gain anything really meaningful if your basis of analysis is to primarily compare conferences.

I’ll stand by what I see. If I’m wrong I’ll own it and hopefully learn from it. So yes, I see Williams as being a superior RB to Harris right now. Even though Harris played in the SEC and Williams played in the ACC.
UNC was superior to most of their opponents though also, which is the same thing you are dinging Harris and Alabama for. Sure Alabama has the best collection of talent overall, but the SEC has the best collection of talent for any conference in general. Williams only had 2 games of 100+ yards against teams with winning records. UNC and Williams feasted on inferior opponents, just like you're claiming Bama did (which I don't disagree with on Bama). Yet you hold that against Harris but ignore that for Williams. Just be consistent with it.

JTLoh
Role Player
Role Player

Postby JTLoh » Mon Apr 12, 2021 7:24 am

Bronco Billy wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 11:18 am You want overrated? You should have picked Entienne. IMO.
I hope he goes somewhere good. CEH 2.0 IMHO.
CONTENTION 2
QB - D.Prescott, J.Hurts
RB - J.Jacobs, C-Patt, JRob, BRob, D.Pierce, TDP, H.Haskins
WR - Ceedee, J.Jefferson, JuJu, A.Pierce, Meyers, NWI
TE - M.Andrews, Brevin, J.Woods, L.Thomas
Defense: Cowboys/Viks

CELEBRITY DEATHMATCH
QB - Mahomes, Cousins, Love, Mond, Rush, M.White, Strong
RB - C-Patt, Singletary, K.Herbert, Foreman, Hubbard, Lindsay
WR - Lockett, Hollywood, OBJ, Golladay, AJG, Hardman, Meyers, Osborn, ISM
TE - Kelsey, Ertz, G.Everett, Bryant
Taxi - BRob, TDP, Ingram, A.Smith, K.Phillips, Metchie, Shakir, Tolbert, Thorton, J.Woods, S.Thompson

ALL THE MARBLES
QB - TB12, J.Hurts, Stafford
RB - Ekeler, Zeke, C-Patt, Mack, Rhamondre, BRob, R.White, Foreman
WR - AJ Brown, London, Watson, A.Pierce, Burks, OBJ, Golladay, Amon-Ra, Marshall
TE - Gronk, T.Higbee, D.Arnold, Ebron
Defense: Bills/Saints

Bronco Billy
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Bronco Billy » Mon Apr 12, 2021 7:38 am

jenkins.math wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 7:20 am
Bronco Billy wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 6:01 am

The fact that Williams had another 1000 yard rusher on his own team this year that nobody thinks is a special prospect doesn't concern you? Or when UNC finally played a good team Javonte averaged 2.5 yards per carry in that game (for the record Harris averged 8.9 against that same Note Dame squad)?

UNC played a horrible schedule this year. Trying to compare what Harris did in the SEC to Williams and his soft ACC schedule isn't a fair comparison.
Carter being a good RB doesn’t affect my opinion on Williams. Why would it?

The SEC was’t all that defensively. Alabama overwhelmed all of their opponents badly. You really want to make an apples to apples comparison from what Harris had around him vs Williams and compare a common opponent? C’mon, be serious. And NC’s O line wasn’t anywhere near what Harris had to run behind. Watch their play against even average Ds.

When I’m evaluating players I watch what they do as individuals in the situations they are placed. I pay careful attention to how they play when they have their less productive days to see how they reacted in tough situations, since that’s what they’ll see at the next level even though the talent level is much more evenly matched in the NFL. I don’t see how you’re going to gain anything really meaningful if your basis of analysis is to primarily compare conferences.

I’ll stand by what I see. If I’m wrong I’ll own it and hopefully learn from it. So yes, I see Williams as being a superior RB to Harris right now. Even though Harris played in the SEC and Williams played in the ACC.
UNC was superior to most of their opponents though also, which is the same thing you are dinging Harris and Alabama for. Sure Alabama has the best collection of talent overall, but the SEC has the best collection of talent for any conference in general. Williams only had 2 games of 100+ yards against teams with winning records. UNC and Williams feasted on inferior opponents, just like you're claiming Bama did (which I don't disagree with on Bama). Yet you hold that against Harris but ignore that for Williams. Just be consistent with it.
We’re going to have to agree to disagree, because I can’t see any way to parallel the dominance in supporting cast that ‘Bama had over its opponents with a similar dominance by NC, much less to use that in comparing Harris’ abilities to Williams.

ETA:

pff’s ranking of the NC line (notice the comment about their performance against ND):
102. NORTH CAROLINA

The Tar Heels' offensive line hadn’t been anything special leading up to their Week 13 contest against Notre Dame, but against the Irish this past week they went from average-at-best to full-blown liability. They posted the second-worst PFF grade we have recorded in a single game this season by a Power 5 offensive line. The unit on average allowed the UNC ball-carrier to be contacted behind the line of scrimmage, and it gave up an FBS-high 50% pressure rate. North Carolina now ranks third-to-last in the ACC in offensive line PFF grade.
Last edited by Bronco Billy on Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

ArrylT
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby ArrylT » Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:15 am

honcho55 wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 3:07 pm As a bit of an aside, I’d like to ask folks who love Williams a question. I see people having him ahead of Harris, but also a full tier ahead of him too. I’d like to politely request some explanation there.
I’m obviously a Williams proponent, but I have Harris close behind. I like his all-around versatility as much as Williams’. I’m guessing some people ding Harris because of age, but I’m not one of them.

My main concern with Harris is some uncertainty when he’s not surrounded by a team that is physically superior across the board like ‘Bama was. I watch the Harris’ lesser performances like the ‘20 A&M game and I see a lot of hesitation when Harris is not presented with a clear open gap in the line. Williams looks to be much more capable of creating something when there is little to nothing there. If Harris’ hesitation when presented with skinny seams carries over, that’s almost a death sentence for his being a 3 down RBs in the bigs.

Right now Harris and Williams are the only guys in this draft that I see with legit 3 down capability and are situation-proof. I’m pretty sure another 1 or 2 will show up, but my guess is it will be guys that come out of nowhere and adapt almost perfectly to the pro game.

Comments like this are a good example of bad process. There actually are fantasy analysts that are quite high on Carter.

If you feel Carter is no one special - not going to disagree or disrespect your opinion. But pretending to speak for the DLF community or the fantasy community as a whole with absolute comments like that doesnt end well. You do not know the thoughts and nor do you have the ability to speak on their behalf. :thumbdown: :thumbdown:

Here is one DLF forum member excited about Carter

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=213022&p=1962342&hi ... r#p1962342

and another

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=212322&p=1953723&hi ... r#p1953723

Here is a fantasy analyst who really likes Carter

https://www.audacy.com/929thegame/sport ... -nfl-draft

Here is speculation Carter could be a mid Round (3-4) target by the Jets

https://thejetpress.com/2021/04/02/ny-j ... el-carter/

Carter profiles favorably to Brian Westbrook, and in the right situation could perhaps be a better version of Miles Sanders (the guy everyone wants to be the next Westbrook).

Please put more thought into your posts - because the lack of effort & thought really shows through, which in turn makes it less likely people will consider you seriously.
Please speak to clarion contrarion before considering the use of vetos..

jenkins.math
All Pro
All Pro

Postby jenkins.math » Mon Apr 12, 2021 9:31 am

ArrylT wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:15 am

Comments like this are a good example of bad process. There actually are fantasy analysts that are quite high on Carter.

If you feel Carter is no one special - not going to disagree or disrespect your opinion. But pretending to speak for the DLF community or the fantasy community as a whole with absolute comments like that doesnt end well. You do not know the thoughts and nor do you have the ability to speak on their behalf. :thumbdown: :thumbdown:

and another

Carter profiles favorably to Brian Westbrook, and in the right situation could perhaps be a better version of Miles Sanders (the guy everyone wants to be the next Westbrook).

Please put more thought into your posts - because the lack of effort & thought really shows through, which in turn makes it less likely people will consider you seriously.
A lot to digest here, but here goes. There is always "someone" that likes a prospect. There are people in this world that get aroused by getting kicked in the testicles, but if I said "nobody wants to get kicked in the nuts" are you really going to call me out for bad process because I didn't put an asterisk by that or acknowledge someone out there might like it? I don't think anybody, oh sorry let me re-phrase for you so you don't get your feelings hurt...I think most people that looked at my post didn't take that as myself speaking for the DLF or scouting community. Nowhere have I ever claimed to be some sort of authority or spokesmen of the people. This is a message board where everyone (am I allowed to say everyone?) voices their takes and I read them as that individual's take regardless of the grammar they used. I have never read a single post and thought "man, I can't believe __________ is speaking for me". The fact you would think that is asinine and speaks to a large problem in our society today and that you are appear to be looking to be offended by something.

If you really want to get technical on things, I said that "nobody thinks he is a special prospect". You linked someone calling him RB4 in this class, another saying he could be a steal like Philip Lyndsay (who I haven't heard anybody call him special, but I also haven't spoken to the 7+ billion inhabitants here on the planet, so please don't take my word as gospel here), and the podcast link says he has "elite vision" but doesn't go so far as to name him a special prospect. The last article talks about him being a round 3 or 4 target and that is supposed to make me rethink my stance? Great players come from those rounds all the time, but none of those guys are considered "special prospects" unless they have some type of off field red flags. I'm not sure how any of what you posted disproves my original statement that got you up in arms.

Your last sentence is such an arrogant stance to take and you have quickly reminded me why I quit reading and responding to your posts before your hiatus. Get off the high horse, relax, and worry about yourself.

ArrylT
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby ArrylT » Mon Apr 12, 2021 10:11 am

jenkins.math wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 9:31 am

and another

A lot to digest here, but here goes. There is always "someone" that likes a prospect. There are people in this world that get aroused by getting kicked in the testicles, but if I said "nobody wants to get kicked in the nuts" are you really going to call me out for bad process because I didn't put an asterisk by that or acknowledge someone out there might like it? I don't think anybody, oh sorry let me re-phrase for you so you don't get your feelings hurt...I think most people that looked at my post didn't take that as myself speaking for the DLF or scouting community. Nowhere have I ever claimed to be some sort of authority or spokesmen of the people. This is a message board where everyone (am I allowed to say everyone?) voices their takes and I read them as that individual's take regardless of the grammar they used. I have never read a single post and thought "man, I can't believe __________ is speaking for me". The fact you would think that is asinine and speaks to a large problem in our society today and that you are appear to be looking to be offended by something.

If you really want to get technical on things, I said that "nobody thinks he is a special prospect". You linked someone calling him RB4 in this class, another saying he could be a steal like Philip Lyndsay (who I haven't heard anybody call him special, but I also haven't spoken to the 7+ billion inhabitants here on the planet, so please don't take my word as gospel here), and the podcast link says he has "elite vision" but doesn't go so far as to name him a special prospect. The last article talks about him being a round 3 or 4 target and that is supposed to make me rethink my stance? Great players come from those rounds all the time, but none of those guys are considered "special prospects" unless they have some type of off field red flags. I'm not sure how any of what you posted disproves my original statement that got you up in arms.

Your last sentence is such an arrogant stance to take and you have quickly reminded me why I quit reading and responding to your posts before your hiatus. Get off the high horse, relax, and worry about yourself.
It seems like you decided to move the goalposts and rather than admit that you were wrong to say something obviously incorrect and unfactual you decided to play the "everyone understands exactly what I said" card which is another facet of the my argument is right because I claimed everyone is on my side stance, which was apparent from the "no one thinks michael carter is special". It is pretty common amongst bullys to do that. They drape themselves in this mantle to make their arguments look stronger.

As soon as anyone points out that what a person said is incorrect they decide to dissect it and find a way to attack that person. I wont respond to those comments but the fact that you decided to make it personal is just another indication of bullyism.

Basically I have seen 4 things from you

1 - you make absolute statements that have no factual basis

2 - when called on these statements you change the argument

3 - when frustrated you resolve to personal commentary & make remarks about the poster

4 - you make assumption about other people and claim it as fact

I urge you to avoid this behaviour in the future as it is more a reflection upon yourself than anyone else that you may be trying to paint as the "bad guy".

Like I said I have absolutely no wish to disagree or argue with you should you believe that Michael Carter is no one of note. Anyways thanks for your response & I hope you have a good day. :)
Please speak to clarion contrarion before considering the use of vetos..

jenkins.math
All Pro
All Pro

Postby jenkins.math » Mon Apr 12, 2021 10:44 am

ArrylT wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 10:11 am
jenkins.math wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 9:31 am

and another

It seems like you decided to move the goalposts and rather than admit that you were wrong to say something obviously incorrect and unfactual you decided to play the "everyone understands exactly what I said" card which is another facet of the my argument is right because I claimed everyone is on my side stance, which was apparent from the "no one thinks michael carter is special". It is pretty common amongst bullys to do that. They drape themselves in this mantle to make their arguments look stronger.

As soon as anyone points out that what a person said is incorrect they decide to dissect it and find a way to attack that person. I wont respond to those comments but the fact that you decided to make it personal is just another indication of bullyism.

Basically I have seen 4 things from you

1 - you make absolute statements that have no factual basis

2 - when called on these statements you change the argument

3 - when frustrated you resolve to personal commentary & make remarks about the poster

4 - you make assumption about other people and claim it as fact

I urge you to avoid this behaviour in the future as it is more a reflection upon yourself than anyone else that you may be trying to paint as the "bad guy".

Like I said I have absolutely no wish to disagree or argue with you should you believe that Michael Carter is no one of note. Anyways thanks for your response & I hope you have a good day. :)
So you read all that and said "yeah, this guy is a bully"? :lol: :lol: A difference of opinion doesn't make one a bully, but that does get misconstrued at times.

1) If you took my statement as me speaking for the DLF community, my bad. Wasn't my intent, but you are the only poster I have ever seen call anybody out for a statement like that. I expect to see you policing everyone for consistency if this is the route we are going around here. For the record, I really hope it isn't, but you have certainly charted a course for yourself.

2) I responded to you precisely, mentioning every single link you provided. How is that changing the argument? I even re-quoted my original statement about Carter to make sure we were all on the same page. If I make a comment that you disagree with, and you respond with a rebuttal, it is on you making the rebuttal to provide the evidence. Again, I don't see anything you provided that refutes "nobody thinks Carter is a special prospect". Which in its literal sense, should be very easy, because all you need is 1 singular individual to disprove the word "nobody". Again though, that wasn't my point and I think you know that. Just like you really didn't care about discussing that point, you wanted to come after me.

3 & 4) You call me frustrated, which would be an assumption, yet you are upset about assumptions made on others? That's quite the conundrum wouldn't you say? I'm not frustrated, but if you are wanting to throw stones, make sure you house is in order. Any frustrations assumes (ahhh, that word again that you don't like) this takes a large part of my life and is super important to me. While I enjoy it, it is pretty far down the list of my priorities. Seeing as how you called me out for lack of time making posts, that would kind of put an assumption out there that I don't quite value that as much as you, thus my lack of frustration... See how logic works on this?

Here is the reality: it isn't about Carter. You wanted to come after me, and now you label me a bully when you get some push back. I've never called a poster out on here, until responding to you. I've never had an issue with anybody other than difference of opinions, until today. I mentioned not liking your posts before your hiatus, but I never came at you for that. I just glossed over your posts and moved on. Until today. Sometimes personalities don't mesh and that is totally ok. This is one of those times. Have a good one. :wave:

Bronco Billy
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Bronco Billy » Mon Apr 12, 2021 11:39 am

Can we link this thread and send it off to Goodell to see if it convinces him to move the draft to this coming weekend?

JoshGordonsDealer
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby JoshGordonsDealer » Mon Apr 12, 2021 12:27 pm

Bronco Billy wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 11:39 am Can we link this thread and send it off to Goodell to see if it convinces him to move the draft to this coming weekend?
:pray:

stoneghost28
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby stoneghost28 » Mon Apr 12, 2021 4:56 pm

honcho55 wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 3:07 pm As a bit of an aside, I’d like to ask folks who love Williams a question. I see people having him ahead of Harris, but also a full tier ahead of him too. I’d like to politely request some explanation there.
For me, it would be the RB age cliff, Harris is an overage prospect at a position where it becomes hard to flip players within basically 2-3 years of his current age. I work very hard to flip RB's before age 26 and reboot at the position with good classes. I still have shares of elite '17 RB's and it's murderously difficult to trade almost any of them. Zeke is now coal in a lot of peoples hands (though he'll probably be quite valuable at the deadline again if we can tie his struggles to Dak's injury) too. So why wouldn't Najee, a RB whose coming out this year, and yet older than all the elite young RB's from last years class, suffer some downgrades for that? I'd still draft him over Williams, pending landing spot, but I'd be looking to flip him in year 1 assuming he breaks out.

FiremanEd
Legend
Legend

Postby FiremanEd » Mon Apr 12, 2021 6:05 pm

ArrylT wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:15 amIf you feel Carter is no one special - not going to disagree or disrespect your opinion. But pretending to speak for the DLF community or the fantasy community as a whole with absolute comments like that doesnt end well. You do not know the thoughts and nor do you have the ability to speak on their behalf. :thumbdown: :thumbdown:

I’m embarrassed for you. Please do better.

killer_of_giants
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby killer_of_giants » Tue Apr 13, 2021 2:48 am

williams is just another montgomery, maybe a bit better (i like his power more). can do a bit of this and a bit of that, but has nothing special going for him (some will say "contact balance", that's good, but when that's your best trait, it generally means "slow": montgomery and singletary have great contact balance).

and since i started with comparisons, etienne is just a rashaad penny (hopefully for him without the injuries), which i think is good, and harris is the jets' matt forte.

Orenthal Shames
Legend
Legend

Postby Orenthal Shames » Tue Apr 13, 2021 4:25 am

FiremanEd wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 6:05 pm
ArrylT wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:15 amIf you feel Carter is no one special - not going to disagree or disrespect your opinion. But pretending to speak for the DLF community or the fantasy community as a whole with absolute comments like that doesnt end well. You do not know the thoughts and nor do you have the ability to speak on their behalf. :thumbdown: :thumbdown:

I’m embarrassed for you. Please do better.
Dude, took the words right out of my mouth/fingers.
16 team league
1 QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 TE, 2 Flex (RB/WR/TE)
26 upman rosters - full point ppr
2015, 17, 18, 19, 20 Champs

QB: Watson, Flacco
RB: Bijan, Gibbs, McLaughlin
WR: Olave, Addison, Flowers, Rice, Downs, Mims, Douglas, Tillman
TE: Kittle, Chig, Woods
24 Picks: 1.08, 1.14, 2nd x2

MEuRaH
Legend
Legend

Postby MEuRaH » Tue Apr 13, 2021 4:38 am

killer_of_giants wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 2:48 am williams is just another montgomery, maybe a bit better (i like his power more). can do a bit of this and a bit of that, but has nothing special going for him (some will say "contact balance", that's good, but when that's your best trait, it generally means "slow": montgomery and singletary have great contact balance).
This is awesome that you mentioned this. One of the first names I thought of when watching Williams was Montgomery, except more power, and maybe less lateral quickness and smaller burst. Literally the same thought you had. I then thought a better version of Jamaal Williams.

He's definitely in that vicinity for me.
ULTIMATE RB GURUs
2021 RB Injury Guru: abloom "Akers will suffer an ACL injury in the preseason and does not play during the season."
2021 RB Guru: qazxswedcvfrtgbnhyuj & McCafsteez -- Winners of the Antonio Gibson Wager!

REAL RB GURUs:
CubfanAA - Anteaters - Ice - JJRules - TheNuts - jtk1234 - Bronco Billy - YouMightDieTryin - hockeyBjj - honcho55 - murphysxm - Patsfan86 - jman3134

yinzername
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby yinzername » Tue Apr 13, 2021 5:21 am

killer_of_giants wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 2:48 am williams is just another montgomery, maybe a bit better (i like his power more). can do a bit of this and a bit of that, but has nothing special going for him (some will say "contact balance", that's good, but when that's your best trait, it generally means "slow": montgomery and singletary have great contact balance).

and since i started with comparisons, etienne is just a rashaad penny (hopefully for him without the injuries), which i think is good, and harris is the jets' matt forte.
Is this a knock? Robinson finished RB4 in my league and only about as low as RB6 most anywhere u look..on the Bears. Put JWills in the right context and I’m eating up those chances
SF - PPR - 12t - start10
Notable Assets in Rebuild
QB: Mahomes - Levis - Rudolph
RB: K Mitchell - J McLaughlin - C Rodriguez - Z Evans
WR: AJB - M Pittman- R Doubs - E Moore - Shaheed - C Tillman- A Iosivas
TE: MAndrews - Kraft
'24: 1.1, 1.7, 2.1, 2.6, 2.10, 3.1, 4.2, 4.7
‘25: 1 1st, 2 2nds, 2 3rds

1st YEAR START-UP
SF - PPR - 12t - start10
QB: TLaw - Purdy - Goff
RB: Chubb - D Montgomery - D Singletary - A Mattison - K Miller - R Freeman - J Hill
WR: CeeDee - Diggs - Aiyuk - Godwin - J Reed - E Moore - A Pierce - C Tillman
TE: Kittle - Kincaid