Tua Tagovailoa

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
Pullo Vision
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Tua Tagovailoa

Postby Pullo Vision » Thu Jan 14, 2021 6:23 am

Couldn't find a Tua-specific thread.

Lately, Tua's getting tied to Watson, but curious on thoughts about him specifically- player development, recovery from injury, long term prospects, whatever.

I liked Chan Gailey getting hired as the OC. While the offense put up numbers, it seemed uninspiring. Now, he's gone.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2021/01/03/dolph ... dont-panic

"The immediate reaction to Sunday’s performance [week 17] doesn’t consider a notably conservative game plan that has dogged Tagovailoa this year, along with at least 11 dropped or fumbled balls (as The Miami Herald noted Sunday)."
League #1- 14 tm ppr, 1Q, 2R, 3W, 1T, 1 R/W/T, 1K
1 DT, 2 DE, 2 LB, 1 CB, 1 S, 1 flex

League #2- 12 team PPR, 1 Q, 1R, 3W, 1T, 1 R/W/T, 1 R/T, 1 Def

Mjvb5
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Re: Tua Tagovailoa

Postby Mjvb5 » Thu Jan 14, 2021 7:03 am

Dolphins fan here so take it as you will

He had in the grand scheme of things an okay to good rookie year. It just gets viewed so poorly bc

A. He was a rookie on a team that was borderline playoffs with a perfectly capable vet leading to him being benched in tight games. Fwiw most teams with rookie qbs win at most 8ish games and are well outta the playoffs.
B. Herbert and burrow were legitimately that amazing. Those rookies years are two of the best ever and they came in the same year.

As a player he showed several traits you'd like to see, good touch, pocket presence, mobility, seemed recovered. And some bad, middling deep ball and velocity, didn't like to take risks, good punked by D schemes sometimes, did not wanna throw people open. Very very standard rookie issues.

Not enough to really change his value from last year, but due to A LOT of qbs having there values tank off injuries, poor play or age he moved up in overall qb ranks.

abloom
Legend
Legend

Postby abloom » Thu Jan 14, 2021 7:07 am

I think most of the "disappointment" with Tua due to the exceptional years by Burrow, Herbert, and the flash in the pan that was Hurts. Tua was coming off a major hip injury with no preseason. In games that I saw with him he seemed to have poise and confidence in the pocket. I think he will continue to develop nicely and expect to see a very different sophomore season.

Being tied to a trade for Watson, I think how I feel about the trade really depends on what the actual trade would be. If he stays put in Miami I have a feeling that Miami will use their draft capital to surround him with some more talent (WR and RB) and continue to build his line. If he is traded to Houston, I think it depends on how much else is sent with him. I think the current Houston weapons are better than Miami, but houston also needs a better o-line.
Dynasty Team #1:
12 team, 1 ppr (1.5 te), 1Q,2R,2W,1T,2F,1D,1K

Q: Wentz,Tannehill,Hill
R: CMC,Taylor,Robinson,Fournette
W: Evans,Edelman,Cobb,Davis,Mooney,Lazard
T: Goedert(IR),Henry
D: NE,BAL
K: Bullock

2021 Picks: 1.02,2.05,4.02,5.02,6.02,7.02
---
Dynasty Team #2: 2020 Champion
12 team, 1ppr (1.5 te), 1Q,2R,2W,1T,1SF,1F,1D,1K

Q: Wilson, Murray, Cousins, Trubisky, Smith, Dalton
R: Cook, Dobbins, Swift, Monty, Mattison
W: Nuk, Godwin, Metcalf, K Allen, Edwards, AB, Sutton(IR)
T: Kelce
K: Tucker
D: PIT

2021 picks: 1.05,1.12,4.06,4.12,5.12,6.12,7.07
---
DLF advice forum league:
14 team, SF, 1PPR (2PPR for TE), 1Q,2R,3W,1T,1SF,2F

Q: Mahomes ,Tua, Mullens, Love, Flacco, Hoyer, Rypien, Bethard
R: Michel, Moss, Hyde, Bernard, Richard, Darrel Williams, Damien Williams, C Thompson
W: Juju, Cooper, Allen, Sanders, D Moore
T: Schultz, Doyle, Asiasi, Thomas

2021 Picks: 1.04,1.11,1.12,2.04,3.04,4.04,4.06,4.10

joeday
GOAT
GOAT

Postby joeday » Thu Jan 14, 2021 8:18 am

I had Tua on my bench down the stretch in one of my main leagues because I was looking for a young QB to keep on my team and the thing I noticed was the play calling being super conservative. He also was a rookie with Jakeem Grant and Lynn Bowden to throw to while Herbert had Keenan, Burrow had Boyd and Higgins and AJG. Give him some weapons and an OC who would like to see him succeed and I think he could be great. If the Dolphins take Chase or Smith at 1.3 and Parker can stay healthy, maybe he will excel.
BERLIN BOMBERS
1996 | 2005 | 2012 | 2013 | 2014 | 2017 – 🏆
1999 | 2000 | 2019 | 2020 – 🥈

14 teams | 4 keepers | non ppr | est. 1996
Projected 2021 Keepers
QB – Kyler Murray
RB – Christian McCaffrey
WR – Calvin Ridley | DJ Moore
TE –

ROCKY MOUNTAIN MASTODONS
2011 | 2013 | 2015 | 2016 | 2017 | 2018 | 2020 – 🏆
2008 | 2012 | 2014 | 2019 – 🥈
12 teams | 10 keepers | non ppr | est. 2001
2020 Championship Lineup
QB – Tom Brady
RB – Derrick Henry | Dalvin Cook
WR – DeAndre Hopkins | Davante Adams | Calvin Ridley
TE – Darren Waller
K – Jason Sanders
D/ST – Baltimore Ravens

Joe Day's Dynasty|Keeper|Redraft Leagues

Ice
MVP
MVP

Postby Ice » Thu Jan 14, 2021 8:39 am

Tua will probably be a pretty good QB in the NFL. The Watson talk may make many nervous but that is because Watson is fantastic and probably the 2nd most valuable QB overall in the NFL. Miami would be crazy not to offer Tua and both 1sts for Watson. Not sure that would even be enough. Watson just came off an incredible year on a horrid team.

Tua on the other hand just came off a rookie year with obviously a pretty restricted playbook. It is a legitimate concern he couldn't keep Fitz on the bench. He simply may not have learned the scheme very fast.

Herbert and Burrow were/are way further along in their development. That was obvious on game day.
Last edited by Ice on Thu Jan 14, 2021 9:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
The clock is running and there are no timeouts

CGW
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby CGW » Thu Jan 14, 2021 8:50 am

A real off season will benefit him greatly. As much sense as it makes for Miami to go after Watson, I just dont see it happening. Recent reports from insiders have cooled on the idea as well.

I assume miami will be attempting to surround him with some weapons and protection. I would love to see a downfield threat with some speed to pair with Parker and Williams.

Yarnith
Captain
Captain

Postby Yarnith » Thu Jan 14, 2021 9:39 am

Gailey has never handled young QB's well. Most notable guy he worked with? Kordell Stewart. Remember Christian Hackenberg? Yeah that is Chan Gailey. He was a common concern before the draft for most of us because he really has never worked with anyone not a multi-year vet successfully.

As another Dophins fan I gotta say I highly doubt Miami uses 1.3 on offense. Tua has what coaches believe are good WR weapons. Parker X, Preston Z and Grant(4.38 40 btw) in slot. They Resigned Parker, Preston outright played into the Z spot and Grant has made big money sign vet Wilson sitting out an afterthought. Add in Gesicki, Smythe duo on the oft used 2te sets and the coaches are actually happy there.

*edited a dumb mistake*
Last edited by Yarnith on Thu Jan 14, 2021 10:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
12 team standard, 1QB, 1RB, 1WR, 2WR/TE, 1flex

QB: J. Allen, J. Goff, D. Haskins

RB: A. Kamara, J. Taylor, CE,H, Ty Johnson, B. Love, D. Guice, R. Calais, D. Washington

WR: A.J. Brown, C. Ridley, J. Smith-Schuster, A. Cooper, R. Woods, D. Slayton, P. Williams, H. Ruggs, D. Mims, T. Smith, KJ Hamler

TE: G. Kittle, H. Henry

2021 1.12 , 3.8, 3.12, 4.9, 4.12

bjd5211
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby bjd5211 » Thu Jan 14, 2021 9:55 am

Yarnith wrote:
Thu Jan 14, 2021 9:39 am
Providing they don't trade it 1.3 is gonna be James Williams 6-5 218lbs of DB. Someone has to cover the likes of Kelce, Kittle or Waller and that someone is not on the Dolphins roster.
Who? The only Defensive players who are going to be in consideration at 1.03 are LB Micah Parsons, CB Patrick Surtain and maybe DE Gregory Rousseau.

Yarnith
Captain
Captain

Postby Yarnith » Thu Jan 14, 2021 10:05 am

bjd5211 wrote:
Thu Jan 14, 2021 9:55 am
Yarnith wrote:
Providing they don't trade it 1.3 is gonna be James Williams 6-5 218lbs of DB. Someone has to cover the likes of Kelce, Kittle or Waller and that someone is not on the Dolphins roster.
Who? The only Defensive players who are going to be in consideration at 1.03 are LB Micah Parsons, CB Patrick Surtain and maybe DE Gregory Rousseau.
I was looking at the wrong list, my mistake sorry.
12 team standard, 1QB, 1RB, 1WR, 2WR/TE, 1flex

QB: J. Allen, J. Goff, D. Haskins

RB: A. Kamara, J. Taylor, CE,H, Ty Johnson, B. Love, D. Guice, R. Calais, D. Washington

WR: A.J. Brown, C. Ridley, J. Smith-Schuster, A. Cooper, R. Woods, D. Slayton, P. Williams, H. Ruggs, D. Mims, T. Smith, KJ Hamler

TE: G. Kittle, H. Henry

2021 1.12 , 3.8, 3.12, 4.9, 4.12

Dynasty DeLorean
Legend
Legend

Postby Dynasty DeLorean » Fri Jan 15, 2021 2:02 am

The only thing I’m concerned about is arm strength. He looked like he had a critically weak arm. That’s just watching the highlights though. Maybe someone who has watched a lot of the games can chime in here.

cantguardjake
Role Player
Role Player

Postby cantguardjake » Fri Jan 15, 2021 4:16 am

Dynasty DeLorean wrote:
Fri Jan 15, 2021 2:02 am
The only thing I’m concerned about is arm strength. He looked like he had a critically weak arm. That’s just watching the highlights though. Maybe someone who has watched a lot of the games can chime in here.
He had a weak arm in college before the injury, let alone after.

There’s plenty of data showing him having the weakest velocities of recent high draftees, and apparently he only completed one pass of 50
yards downfield his entire college career - there was plenty of red flags on his arm pre draft.

killer_of_giants
All Pro
All Pro

Postby killer_of_giants » Fri Jan 15, 2021 5:53 am

Yarnith wrote:
As another Dophins fan I gotta say I highly doubt Miami uses 1.3 on offense.
you mean "skill" players? i think sewell to the fins (if they don't trade down) is as good a bet as it gets.

anyway, any concern on some tua's teammates being unimpressed with him?

Dynasty DeLorean
Legend
Legend

Postby Dynasty DeLorean » Fri Jan 15, 2021 6:33 am

cantguardjake wrote:
Fri Jan 15, 2021 4:16 am
Dynasty DeLorean wrote:

There’s plenty of data showing him having the weakest velocities of recent high draftees, and apparently he only completed one pass of 50
yards downfield his entire college career - there was plenty of red flags on his arm pre draft.
Interesting. I feel like that wasn't talked up a lot during the draft process. I know people didn't think he had a cannon, but... don't think people were saying he had a wet noodle either.

Pac_Eddy
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Pac_Eddy » Fri Jan 15, 2021 7:10 am

These arm strength comments made me go watch some Tua plays. I don't see weak or underpowered throws. I can see why some may say that though.

I can see how they're more catchable than some Lamar Jackson throws, who I think lacks any touch. Jackson sometimes throws a 90 mph fastball resulting in an incomplete short pass. I didn't see any real deep shots from Tua either, so maybe there's something to that.
Not all that counts can be counted. Not all that can be counted counts.

Ice
MVP
MVP

Postby Ice » Fri Jan 15, 2021 9:23 am

Dynasty DeLorean wrote:
Fri Jan 15, 2021 6:33 am
cantguardjake wrote:
Fri Jan 15, 2021 4:16 am
Dynasty DeLorean wrote:

Interesting. I feel like that wasn't talked up a lot during the draft process. I know people didn't think he had a cannon, but... don't think people were saying he had a wet noodle either.
West Coast type offenses helps weaker arm QB's, Tua's arm is average but I expect to see more WC principles in the future. His arm is obviously weak when compared to the great arms like Allen, Herbert, Mahomes when it comes to exit velocity.
The clock is running and there are no timeouts