Personally Know Anyone in the League?

Politics, world events, under-water basket weaving, everything goes in this forum. Please keep it respectful at all times.
blacksheep
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Re: Personally Know Anyone in the League?

Postby blacksheep » Wed Jul 18, 2012 9:53 am

Back in '94, one of the colleges in a town I was a police officer in had a fundraiser and they hired a bunch of us for off-duty security. They invited Roger Staubach, Johnny U., Mike Ditka, Tony Dorsett and Walter Payton. Got to shake hands with all of them and get a group picture of them all, which hangs above my desk still. Talked a bit with Ditka and that guy is all class. Real personable and he let me try on his '85 Super Bowl ring. The guy has hands the size of a baseball glove! The only regret I have is not buying a Bear helmet in an auction that was signed by both Payton and Ditka. I still kick myself considering Payton is my all-time favorite player.

stk119
Role Player
Role Player

Postby stk119 » Tue Jul 31, 2012 6:49 pm

When I was like 8 I lived accross the street from JJ Flannery he played at Syracuse in college then in the NFL 1991 to 1998 for the Houston Oilers, the Dallas Cowboys, and the St. Louis Rams. I emember him lifting in his driveway and then getting a bunch of houston oiler stuff when he got drafted.

At Penn State me and my cousin got caught by Lavar Arrington trying to sneak into a PSU Football party by telling them I was the 2nd string punter.
Team 1
ppr scoring, 8Total Starters: QBs: 1 RBs: 1-4 WRs: 1-4 TEs: 1-4
QB:Bradford/ Fitzpatrick/Romo
RB:Ford, Michael /Gillislee, Mike /Helu, Roy Leshoure, Mikel / Murray, Latavius / Pead, Isaiah / Randle, Joseph /Turbin, Robert / Williams, Ryan /
WR: Bailey, Stedman /Jeffery, Alshon /Johnson, Charles/Kearse, Jermaine/Little, Greg CLE/Mellette, Aaron /Robinson, Aldrick /Rogers, Da'Rick /Streater, Rod /White, Roddy/Maclin, Jeremy
TE: Allen, Dwayne/Fleener, Coby/Green, Ladarius /Kelce, Travis KC

Team 2
QB:Brees /Vick,
RB:Brown Andre/Cunningham, Benny /Ford, Michael /Forte, Matt /Michael, Christine /Moreno, Knowshon
WR:Bailey, Stedman /Childs, Greg /Jennings, Greg/Johnson, Andre /Johnson, Charles/Little, Greg /Marshall, Brandon /Matthews, Rishard /Mellette, Aaron /Quick, Brian/Robinson, Aldrick /Rogers, Da'Rick/Smith, Steve /Thomas, Demaryius
TE: Allen, Dwayne/ Bennett Martellus/Griffin, Ryan/ Kelce,Travis

Steelersfan
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Steelersfan » Tue Jul 31, 2012 9:33 pm

stk119 wrote:When I was like 8 I lived accross the street from JJ Flannery he played at Syracuse in college then in the NFL 1991 to 1998 for the Houston Oilers, the Dallas Cowboys, and the St. Louis Rams. I emember him lifting in his driveway and then getting a bunch of houston oiler stuff when he got drafted.

At Penn State me and my cousin got caught by Lavar Arrington trying to sneak into a PSU Football party by telling them I was the 2nd string punter.
:lol:

Jimi Hendrix
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Jimi Hendrix » Thu Aug 02, 2012 6:30 pm

I'm not best buds with any of these guys but I work the team meals for Wake Forest football as a banquet captain and have gotten to know guys like OL-Joe Looney who was drafted this year by San Fran, wr-Givens who was drafted by STL. and lb- Wilbur drafted by Cowboys this year and Curry a couple of years ago
DLF Charter- Carolina Crosstown Traffic
DLF Charter II- Carolina Cozmik Vibes
DLF IDP Invitational--Stone Free
DLF IDP Invitational II--Lazy Lightnin (15 Champions)
DLF United -- Carolina Experience (17 Champs)
Lead Dog--Bad Company
FAAFFL--Purple Haze (99,08 Champions)
RnRFFL--Crosstown Traffic (2000, 02, 04, 10, 17, 18,19 Champions)
Gridiron Elite Dynasty League--Appalachian Mountaineers

Captainzach1
Starter
Starter

Postby Captainzach1 » Fri Aug 03, 2012 8:02 pm

Andy Muse was going door to door for his church the other night and came by my house. His brother is Mike Muse, who was an assistant basketball coach at Wake Forest when Skip Prosser was there. It's not NFL but it's close maybe?
12 team dynasty ppr salary
1 Qb, 2 RB, 3 wr, 1 te, 1 flex, 3 dl, 3 lb, 3 DB
qb- Andrew Luck
rb- Foster, McCoy, Tate, Ryan Mathews, Bryce Brown, Jstew
wr-Roddy, Steve Johnson, TY Hilton, Doug Baldwin, Josh Gordon, Brazil, Devier Posey, Benjamin, Jon Baldwin, Joe Morgan
te- Greg Olsen, Chandler
Dl- Morgan, JPP,Jordan, McClellin, Groves
lb- DJ smith,Burfict, Weatherspoon, Bishop, Kendricks, Carter
db- Brown, McClain, Jenkins
1.05, 1.09, 3.07, 5.08

Captainzach1
Starter
Starter

Postby Captainzach1 » Fri Aug 03, 2012 8:05 pm

Oh and my neighbor's good friend coached Adrian Wilson in high school at high point andrews high school. Again close enough?

Angelo Crowell went to the high school that I currently work at in Winston Salem.
qb- Andrew Luck
wr-Roddy, Steve Johnson, TY Hilton, Doug Baldwin, Josh Gordon, Brazil, Devier Posey, Benjamin, Jon Baldwin, Joe Morgan
te- Greg Olsen, Chandler
1.05, 1.09, 3.07, 5.08

Captainzach1
Starter
Starter

Postby Captainzach1 » Fri Aug 03, 2012 8:06 pm

Jimi Hendrix wrote:I'm not best buds with any of these guys but I work the team meals for Wake Forest football as a banquet captain and have gotten to know guys like OL-Joe Looney who was drafted this year by San Fran, wr-Givens who was drafted by STL. and lb- Wilbur drafted by Cowboys this year and Curry a couple of years ago

One of my friends that I work with, his mom has an office in Deacon Tower, not sure about your connection with WF.
qb- Andrew Luck
te- Greg Olsen, Chandler
1.05, 1.09, 3.07, 5.08

jefeberan
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby jefeberan » Sun Sep 23, 2012 10:16 am

This is a cool thread...

Direct NFL connections:
- Played pick-up basketball a bunch of times against Nick Foles. We're both 6'5", about 250, so we guarded each other every time. He was the better athlete. I was the better basketball player.
- Took a class with former Giants safety Michael Johnson and worked on a couple of group projects with him. Not the sharpest tool in the shed but a really nice guy. He got a Super Bowl ring in his rookie year as a STARTER against the undefeated Patriots. Not quite sure why he's out of the league now.
- Coming out of HS, I turned down a scholarship to play football at USD. Had I taken it, my coach would have been fired during my hypothetical freshmen season and then replaced by Jim Harbaugh. I could have played for Jim Freakin' Harbaugh. Sigh...c'est la vie, I guess.

One degree of separation:
- My brother-in-law is from Lima, OH and played in HS against Ben Rapelsberger.
- My aunt went to HS with Merril Hoge.
- A good friend of mine is Tedy Bruschi's cousin.

Other sports connections:
- Current Mariners closer Tom Wilhelmsen was a buddy of mine in HS.
- Went to HS with 2012 PGA US Open runner-up Michael Thompson.
Follow me on Twitter @FFJeffB

A few fantasy football maxims to keep in mind:
1. Price is what you pay, value is what you get. Know the difference.
2. Bench players don't win weekly match-ups.
3. When making a big decision, trusting your own instincts is usually the best policy.
4. Winning with players you do like >>> Winning with players you don't like > Losing with players you do like >>> Losing with players you don't like
5. Father Time is undefeated.

Amoo
Captain
Captain

Postby Amoo » Wed Sep 26, 2012 9:58 pm

Back in high school I played against Jake Long. He played for Lapeer East and I for Linden. I played on the D Line and we clashed heads on plenty of occasions. I've always thought it was cool that I played directly against the 1st overall pick back in high school. That's me directly below him on the defensive team in the link.

http://docs.newsbank.com/openurl?ctx_ve ... 79A3BDA420

Puchicas
Starter
Starter

Postby Puchicas » Sun Nov 11, 2012 6:16 pm

I went to middle school and high school and played football and baseball with NFL 1st Round Bust Leodis McKelvin. He was always a nice guy, but I really only considered him an above-average athlete compared to some of the other guys I played with. I know he blossomed at Troy, and drew a lot of attention in his last season there.

When I was in 10th grade, I was a back-up OL (played all 5 spots), weighing about 180. We were playing on the road in Valdosta and our starting tackle got hurt. Our offensive line coach looked dead at me and said "Get in there!" Then, immediately, he must have seen fear in my eyes, because he said "nevermind" and sent in an 11th grader. The guy I would have had to block? Jay Ratliff.

But at the time, I don't think it would've been as bad as having to block Gerald Anderson (UGA) and Donnie Carter (FSU) on the scout team every day. After that season, I decided to "focus on baseball".
Year 2 | 12-Team | 1QB, 2RB, 2WR, 1TE, 2Flex(RB, WR or TE) | 1/2 PPR

QB TLawrence, KPickett, MRyan
RB McCaffrey, Dobbs, KWalker, Penny, Michel, Evans, JJackson
WR Chase, Samuel, Sutton, EMoore, Aiyuk, Mooney, Tolbert
TE Kittle, Jonnu, OJHoward, Trautman

'23 Picks: 1, 2, 3, etc.

Note: Empire league (Consecutive championships wins prize pool and league resets)

jlasaf2007
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby jlasaf2007 » Fri Feb 08, 2013 11:48 am

A friend of mine at work lived next door to J.J. Watt's family before moving down to Indiana. Their families are still good friends and keep in contact (I believe they went to the Texans/Colts game together this year), and he hears some stories about the personalities of some of the big-name guys in the league.

Tony Dungy was speaking at a Youth For Christ event in Ft. Wayne, IN. He donates his time, and the organizers of the event didn't think it right to make him pay for his own airfare. Long story short, my father-in-law donated the services of his company's jet to transport Mr. Dungy back and forth. My brother-in-law escourted him (about 2 hour legs each way), and I believe they still have some corresponence occassionally.
Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by age eighteen. -Albert Einstein

"I am sending you out like sheep among wolves. Therefore be as shrewd as snakes and as innocent as doves." -Matthew 10:16

Niceguy
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Niceguy » Mon Feb 11, 2013 6:51 pm

This is a cool thread. I've got a few decent ones...

I went to college and had a handful of classes with the younger sister of Tiki and Ronde Barber. Their younger brother went to my high school and was friends with my younger brother.

My best friend went to high school with Jeremy Shockey in Ada, Oklahoma.

One of my family's good friends was the neighbor of Kyle Kosier in Dallas while he was still with the Cowboys.

Other sports:

John Starks son, also named John, went to my high school.

In my graduating class of about 100 students one of my classmates was Kelenna Azabuike, who played basketball at Kentucky and now plays in the NBA. His most notable time in the NBA has been playing with the Golden State Warriors a few years ago.

I spent an evening hanging out with AJ de la Garza who plays for the LA Galaxy.
Last edited by Niceguy on Tue Feb 12, 2013 1:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
8 Team PPR: Start 2 QB, 2 RB, 3 WR, 1 TE, 2 RB/WR/TE, 1 K, 2 DL, 2 LB, 2 DB, 2 IDP Flex
Initial season 2011 - Champs 2011|2013|2019|2021 - Runner up 2020|2022
QB: Lamar, Dak, Herbert, Jordan Love, Bryce Young
RB: Chubb, Swift, Mixon, Montgomery, Pacheco, Brian Robinson, Rachaad White, Tyjae, Miles Sanders, Deuce Vaughn,
WR: Ja'Marr Chase, AJ Brown, Pittman, Kupp, Deebo, DJ Moore, Christian Watson, Godwin, QJ, Rashee Rice
TE: Kelce, Taysom
K:
EDR/IL: TJW, Parsons
LB: Zaire, K Murray, Okereke, Quay, Lloyd, Hicks
DB: Whitehead,

10 Team PPR league: Start 1 QB, 2 RB, 3 WR, 1 TE, 1 RB/WR, 1 Superflex, 1 D/ST
Initial Season: 2013 - Champs 2014|2016 - Runner up 2022
QB: Dak, Anthony Richardson, Geno Smith, Trey Lance
RB: Achane, Brian Robinson, Chuba, James Conner, Pierce, Akers
WR: Tyreek, AJ Brown, Pittman, DK Metcalf, Nacua, Godwin, JuJu, Kyle Philips, Tillman
TE: Kittle, McBride, Michael Mayer, Musgrave, Ertz
D/ST: Green Bay

meineymoe
Charter Member
Charter Member

Postby meineymoe » Tue Feb 12, 2013 12:46 pm

My brother played high school football with Chad Cascadden, who walked on for the Badgers and played for the Jets and Patriots back in the '90s, and a friend of ours got on the ESPN draft show because he was in a clip getting mowed over by Jim Leonhard. Otherwise, not a lot of exposure here in northwest Wisconsin.

-oo-

Jimi Hendrix
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Jimi Hendrix » Thu Mar 28, 2013 6:59 pm

Captainzach1 wrote:
Jimi Hendrix wrote:I'm not best buds with any of these guys but I work the team meals for Wake Forest football as a banquet captain and have gotten to know guys like OL-Joe Looney who was drafted this year by San Fran, wr-Givens who was drafted by STL. and lb- Wilbur drafted by Cowboys this year and Curry a couple of years ago

One of my friends that I work with, his mom has an office in Deacon Tower, not sure about your connection with WF.
team meals are not at the Deacon tower :wink: . The team stays at a hotel about 5 minutes from the stadium. They check in on friday night when we feed them a late night deli buffet around 9pm, then depending on game time Saturday feed them breakfast, lunch and pregame meals. I get my game tickets from coach Faircloth or as the players call him " Big Daddy"
Last edited by Jimi Hendrix on Tue Apr 02, 2013 3:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DLF Charter- Carolina Crosstown Traffic
DLF Charter II- Carolina Cozmik Vibes
DLF IDP Invitational--Stone Free
DLF IDP Invitational II--Lazy Lightnin (15 Champions)
DLF United -- Carolina Experience (17 Champs)
Lead Dog--Bad Company
FAAFFL--Purple Haze (99,08 Champions)
RnRFFL--Crosstown Traffic (2000, 02, 04, 10, 17, 18,19 Champions)
Gridiron Elite Dynasty League--Appalachian Mountaineers

pack4ever22
All Pro
All Pro

Postby pack4ever22 » Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:14 pm

This is an awesome thread, great read. Nothing major but i got a couple of stories, met Chad Clifton and Mark Tauscher on a radio show. My high school weight room manager was friends with tony canedeo, hall of fame rb for the packers. This is a 85 year old man whos had half his joints replaced and still lifts every day, he always has a lot of good stories too. And my roomate went to highschool with Joel Stave qb for the badgers, doubt he'll make it to the nfl, but who knows. Apparently he's a great guy, my roomate says that it was always his goal to beat stave in one athletic event, eventually he did, apparently stave isn't a good swimmer.