Personally Know Anyone in the League?

Politics, world events, under-water basket weaving, everything goes in this forum. Please keep it respectful at all times.
BeRanDone
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Personally Know Anyone in the League?

Postby BeRanDone » Mon Mar 05, 2012 2:48 pm

Just thought about this after seeing Fred Davis mentioned so many times in the forums lately.

Fred Davis - He's originally from the same city (Toledo, OH) that I'm originally from. We're the same age. He was supposed to go to high school and play basketball where I did (Central Catholic), but couldn't get the money together to attend private school. He ended up being a stud WR at Rogers High School, but was also very good at track. We were rivals in the 110m hurdles and battled at all the city meets. Boy, was I glad to see him graduate early to enroll at USC because that left me alone at the top of the boy's rankings my senior year :) I then went onto tear my hamstring in my 3rd meet, which derailed any chance of me getting an athletic scholarship.

Dane Sanzenbacher - From the same city as Fred and I and actually went to my high school. He's a couple years younger than me, but we ran track together for 2 years. He was an excellent football player that led the team to its' first state championship in a long time. Great 400 meter runner as well as a decent 800 meter guy. All around stand up guy that excelled in the classroom too.

You guys personally know any current players in the league?

blacksheep
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Re: Personally Know Anyone in the League?

Postby blacksheep » Tue Mar 06, 2012 10:38 am

Marc Mariani (WR/KR-Titans) is from Havre, Montana, where I currently live. Met him few times as he's friends with some people I'm friends with. Good guy. He was nice enough to autograph his jersey for my nephew.

bigcsr67
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby bigcsr67 » Wed Mar 07, 2012 11:08 am

I was Tony Romos Right Gaurd in college. I dont know anyone else personally, but have met a ton of guys, and have played against many current and former pros as well.

BeRanDone
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby BeRanDone » Wed Mar 07, 2012 1:50 pm

bigcsr67 wrote:I was Tony Romos Right Gaurd in college. I dont know anyone else personally, but have met a ton of guys, and have played against many current and former pros as well.
Very nice!

yankdog
Role Player
Role Player

Postby yankdog » Sun Mar 11, 2012 5:34 am

BeRanDone wrote:
bigcsr67 wrote:I was Tony Romos Right Gaurd in college. I dont know anyone else personally, but have met a ton of guys, and have played against many current and former pros as well.
Very nice!

I dated Jessica Simp....oh no that wasn't me. Seriously BeRanDone that is super cool.
Team A: 12 Team PPR, 24 Player Roster, Start 2-3RBs, 3-4WRs, 1TE
QB: Arod, Ryan, Fitz
RB: Lynch, AP, Ridley, Gerhart, Redman, Pierce
WR: AJ, Jordy, Little, Collie, Meachem, T. Young,D. Baldwin
TE: Davis
K: Kasay
Def: SF

Team B: 12 Team PPR, 24 Player Roster, Start 2-4RBs, 2-4WRs, 1-3TEs
QB: Peyton Manning, Luck and Colt McCoy
RB: Ogbonnaya, Martin, Turbin, Gray, Herron
WRs: Decker, Hankerson, Benn, Doucet, HIll, Wright, Broyles,Jenkins
TE: Rudolph, LaDarius Green
K: Hanson
Def: Bengals

DynastyKing
Captain
Captain

Postby DynastyKing » Thu Mar 15, 2012 11:25 am

Rob Ninkovich from the Pats roomed on the same floor as a bunch of my buddies my freshman year at Purdue. Real genuine, down to Earth guy.

I also used to hang out/party with our starting LB at the time, George Hall, who never made it in the NFL but did introduce me to his buddy Uche Nwaneri, who starts for JAX.
12 Team|Non-PPR|16 man rosters|9 Keepers|$250 cap|QB, 2-4 RB, 2-4 WR, 1-2 TE
Salaries increase 20%/year in perpetuity

QB: A. Luck $22, RGIII $1
RB: T. Richardson $46, M. Ingram $21, A. Blue $1
WR: AJ Green $15, J. Jones $6, J. Maclin $9, Mi. Floyd $14, TY Hilton $3
TE: J. Reed $2

Rookies: C. Hyde $2, J. Hill $4, T. Mason $4, I. Crowell $1

melish1631
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby melish1631 » Sat Mar 17, 2012 6:26 am

Well, I know Willie Colon of the Steelers (through my co-worker) and he gets us Steelers tickets for the Ravens game...does that count?
DLF IDP Invitational (Commish)
IDP Smallville
IDP Big Play

meineymoe
Charter Member
Charter Member

Postby meineymoe » Sat Mar 17, 2012 9:10 am

as soon as we get to the second degree of familiarity (remember Six degrees of Kevin Bacon?), I've got a ton!

-oo-

BeRanDone
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby BeRanDone » Sat Mar 17, 2012 3:50 pm

meineymoe wrote:as soon as we get to the second degree of familiarity (remember Six degrees of Kevin Bacon?), I've got a ton!

-oo-
Exactly! Let's open it up to that.

I know a guy that knows Bruce Gradkowski. Was at Gradkowski's wedding last summer and got to talk extensively to Zach Miller, who happened to be the Raiders team rep in regards to the lockout. He also met Lance Moore at the same wedding, who showed up with a girl people thought was a Kardashian. Lance was SUPER embarrassed after introducing her to some people, only to get her name wrong in front of everyone. I have a feeling that happens to Lance a lot. :lol:

I ran a meet against Ted Ginn, who was in the lane right next to me. We were neck and neck... until the gun went off and he shot out of a cannon. My Lord was he fast.

I know a different set of guys that went to high school with Lance Moore and ended up meeing Pierre Thomas because of it.

My best friend was invited to Bengals mini-camp for a workout, only to turned away after they found a minor fracture in his ankle. In his short time there, he spoke with Carson Palmer and Chris Perry.

I'm sure I have more but can't think of them right now...

blacksheep
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby blacksheep » Sun Mar 18, 2012 7:36 am

BeRanDone wrote:

I ran a meet against Ted Ginn, who was in the lane right next to me. We were neck and neck... until the gun went off and he shot out of a cannon. My Lord was he fast.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

SpaderDude
Captain
Captain

Postby SpaderDude » Mon Mar 19, 2012 10:40 am

Dwayne Hendricks, defensive tackle for the New York Giants, was activated from the practice squad and played some this year. He went to my highschool (Millville, New Jersey). Never knew him. I graduated eleven years before him.

Not football, but pretty cool. My freshman highschool football coach (Millville, NJ), Jeff Trout, is father of one of the top prospects in all of baseball, Mike Trout. He's an outfielder for the Angels. He was brought up and played last year. My brother played pick-up basketball with him a few weeks ago before spring training. Mike was something like 2 years old running around the practice field when I was in school.

I work with some people that knew Boston College's RB William Green. Lots of talent, but became a bust for the Browns.

Work with another guy who went to highschool with Joe Flacco at Audubon highschool. He said his arm was amazing even in HS.

My head football coach's son, Bob Surace, was an assistant to the head line coach of the Cincinatti Bengals during Palmer, Johnson, and Housh's hayday. Now, he's the head football coach at Princeton. Ended up getting an autographed football from Marvin Lewis to raffle off at a charity event.
Team1

10 Team Dynasty, Roster-30, (must contain 2K & 2Def.) Starters: 1QB, 2RB, 3WR, 1TE, 1K, 1D

Stafford, Eli, Rivers
Forte, TRich, D. Wilson, Stewart, Mark Ingram, J. Bell, Christine Michael, Mike James, Tolbert
Calvin, AJG, Julio, Antonio Brown, Gordon, Da'Rick, Streater
Tony G, Finley, Housler, L. Green, Gresham

5, 2014 First Rounders

Team2

12 team, 30-man rosters, 1ppr. Starters: 1QB, 2RB, 3WR, 1TE, 1Flex (RB/WR/TE), 1K, 1D

Brees, Big Ben
Forte, TRich, D. Wilson, Ingram, Stewart, C. Michael, Franklin, D. Brown, Helu, B. Rainey, CJ Anderson, Tolbert
Calvin, Nicks, Gordon, Stills, Toon, M. Wilson, Drew Davis, Da'Rick
Gronk, Daniels, G. Graham, Celek

joeday
GOAT
GOAT

Postby joeday » Mon Apr 16, 2012 11:25 pm

Hail to Pitt! Had a class with Shady McCoy and another with basketball player Aaron Gray. I did a group project with shady when he was a freshman...I wanted to ask for an autograph so bad but felt awkward! lol

My roommate went to HS with Marques Colston.
BERLIN BOMBERS (0 – 0)
1996 | 2005 | 2012 | 2013 | 2014 | 2017 – πŸ†
1999 | 2000 | 2019 | 2020 – πŸ₯ˆ

14 team | 4 keepers | non ppr | est. 1996
QB –
RB – Christian McCaffrey | Josh Jacobs
WR – AJ Brown | CeeDee Lamb
TE –

ROCKY MOUNTAIN MASTODONS (0 – 0)
2011 | 2013 | 2015 | 2016 | 2017 | 2018 | 2020 – πŸ†
2008 | 2012 | 2014 | 2019 – πŸ₯ˆ

12 team | 10 keepers | non ppr | est. 2001
QB – Joe Burrow
RB – Tony Pollard | Kenneth Walker III | Rhamondre Stevenson
WR – Justin Jefferson | Stefon Diggs | DK Metcalf | Tee Higgins | Jameson Williams
TE – Trey McBride

Overall 2024 Regular Season Record: 0 – 0

BeRanDone
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby BeRanDone » Tue Apr 17, 2012 8:56 am

joeday wrote:Hail to Pitt! Had a class with Shady McCoy and another with basketball player Aaron Gray. I did a group project with shady when he was a freshman...I wanted to ask for an autograph so bad but felt awkward! lol
That's hilarious! :lol:

general mills
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby general mills » Tue Apr 17, 2012 9:44 am

Growing up I moved almost every year so I ended up going to 4 different high schools. My senior year I had a class with Eric Barton who was a LBer for the Jets and Browns.

My wedding photographer did Chris Cooleys wedding so I got to see a lot of their photos!

ekassor
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby ekassor » Tue Apr 17, 2012 10:10 am

My mother's friend knew Johnny Unitas from some business involvement. He was a huge Colts fans, but hates them for leaving. He said he and his friends found out Irsay was moving the Colts in the middle of the night and they went down to the stadium hitting the trucks with baseball bats as they were pulling away. He's still bitter about it to this day.