Nick Chubb Thread: Chubb = Stud

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
CGW
Legend
Legend

Re: Chubb value

Postby CGW » Tue Jan 12, 2021 8:20 pm

gogobradyarm wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 5:53 pm TL:DR: Don't sell a RB because he is 25...Adrian Peterson, Frank Gore, Emmitt Smith, Tiki Barber, Curtis Martin, Thomas Jones, etc etc all played well into their 30's!!!! Nick Chubb is that caliber talent!

I recently traded Diggs for Chubb and 2.02. Very excited to have Chubb back as I had watched him and rooted for his come back, during the Georgia days.

While I understand the idea of selling RB in the mid 20's, I don't necessarily agree. If your team is a win now contender, I would not be doing that. If you're not a true contender though, sure, sell away.

I think certain recency bias is at play with RB's falling off, mostly being Gurley, Gordon, David Johnson. The thing with those guys, is the first two had serious knee injuries dating back to college. I believe they both also had micro-fracture surgery, which histrionically reduces NFL longevity (oddly enough Kelce also had this, but is going strong).

Gurley was rumored to have bone on bone, and that sadly ruined his career.

Gordon's to me was never a truly special RB, but an above average do it all back that finally benefited once the Charger's had a serviceable offensive line, and with a good scheme for him. He went to a considerably worse offense in Denver and has suffered.

David Johnson's career was derailed by injuries, the retirement of Carson Palmer, and while he was a great all around player (excellent WR and open field runner), he was never a special between the tackles guy.

When I think of Dalvin Cook, Nick Chubb, and Zeke (all of them are 25), I see 3 guys that are all as good as prime Gurley was as a runner, or better. These guys are also quite good at catching the ball, and may even be developing still as all around players. Zeke is the only one of the 3 that has possibly shown any sign of slowing down, but I 100% believe that is tied to being in a crap offense and being de-motivated. The guy is a bit of a head case, and I think he is just depressed knowing the Cowboys are booty. I fully expect him to bounce back, in a major way in 2021.

My point though is, selling a RB at 25 isn't always bad or isn't always good. Guys like Zeke, Cook, Chubb, are not guys I feel are going to slow down any time soon, and these are guys that are consistently producing at elite levels (some injuries sprinkled in, but no bone on bone or microfracture surgery). It's easy to forget that guys like Adrian Peterson, Frank Gore, Emmitt Smith, Walter Payton, Tiki Barber, Curtis Martin, Thomas Jones, Barry Sanders, etc etc all played well into their 30's!!!!
There will always be the exceptions, as you mentioned. But by age 27 there is a significant drop in % of RB1 seasons. Even more so, the trade value of these assets will drop significantly regardless of production.

Like you said, as a contender you are likely getting more production with these guys on your roster than you will with trade value beyond the mid 20s. For non contenders, get out while the gettin' is good.

gogobradyarm
All Pro
All Pro

Postby gogobradyarm » Tue Jan 12, 2021 9:15 pm

I can't disagree that perceived value can drop on these players after 25. I think that is something to exploit currently. I play dynasty with a 2-3 year window personally, because there is lesser certainty beyond that time period. If you are buying a RB in their age 25 season, and get 25, 26, 27, you're are still getting a prime set of production.
12 Team - PPR - 30man (2 IR) - 6pt PPTD- 1 QB - 2 RB - 2 WR - 1 Flex - 1 TE
QB: Jalen Hurts, Dak Prescott, Anthony Richardson, Aidan O'Connell
RB: McCaffrey, Jacobs, Barkley, Zamir White, Jaleel McLaughlin, Dowdle, Zach Evans, Dobbins
WR: AJB, London, Aiyuk, Diontae Johnson, Rashee Rice, Ridley, McLaurin, Dotson, Rashod Bateman
TE: Mandrews, Pitts, Likely, Otton

2024: 1.01, 1.07
2025: 3x 1st
Champ: 2020, 2021
Year 9 of my league

killer_of_giants
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby killer_of_giants » Wed Jan 13, 2021 3:34 am

Chubb value
the older you get, the more you appreciate the value of a good chubb.

CGW
Legend
Legend

Postby CGW » Wed Jan 13, 2021 8:05 am

gogobradyarm wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 9:15 pm I can't disagree that perceived value can drop on these players after 25. I think that is something to exploit currently. I play dynasty with a 2-3 year window personally, because there is lesser certainty beyond that time period. If you are buying a RB in their age 25 season, and get 25, 26, 27, you're are still getting a prime set of production.
At ages 25, 26, and 27 you are correct...plenty of production in the mid 20s (actually 24-27 is peak) so for contenders they are great targets. However, I've seen over and over and over again in my leagues where guys hold the stud RB into his late 20s and will never get any asset back. It sounds like we agree in theory - contenders hold/buy in the 24-27 window while non contenders should be selling.

Seventy5
Legend
Legend

Postby Seventy5 » Wed Jan 13, 2021 2:45 pm

CGW wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 8:05 am
gogobradyarm wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 9:15 pm I can't disagree that perceived value can drop on these players after 25. I think that is something to exploit currently. I play dynasty with a 2-3 year window personally, because there is lesser certainty beyond that time period. If you are buying a RB in their age 25 season, and get 25, 26, 27, you're are still getting a prime set of production.
At ages 25, 26, and 27 you are correct...plenty of production in the mid 20s (actually 24-27 is peak) so for contenders they are great targets. However, I've seen over and over and over again in my leagues where guys hold the stud RB into his late 20s and will never get any asset back. It sounds like we agree in theory - contenders hold/buy in the 24-27 window while non contenders should be selling.
I can sometimes be guilty of this, as I tend to focus on accumulating as much roster value as possible while viewing players like stocks for trade, but, at the end of the day... we play to win, and the production you get out of those age 25-26-27-28 years is of value. Focusing too much on eventually getting an asset back or cashing out at peak values often hold teams back from ever winning. I've seen THAT happen over and over and over again in my leagues.

Production > pretty looking rosters with potential. The trick is finding the right balance and not letting your rosters pendulum swing too far in either direction (unless you are in a full rebuild).

Chubb isn't flashy, but he's the type of player you can invest in and trust he's going to stay out of trouble, show up prepared, and you'll get his best every Sunday. Looking at him from a developmental standpoint, he checks all the physical/technical/tactical/mental boxes, and those are the kind of age 25-27 year old players I'd happily hold or trade for. Set them in your lineup, forget it, and they'll handle business more often than not.

Someone like Zeek, who I think will still be productive for a few more years, doesn't instill as much confidence when looking at his profile as a whole... so I'll pass on acquiring him, and would trade away if I owned. Not saying he won't be productive into his age 29-33 years, but I wouldn't take that bet.

There is a good chance the ride off into the sunset with a player and person like Chubb will be longer than stat box/statistical scouts and dynasty GMs think.
DLF HOF League | 16 Team 1PPR 1QB-2WR-2RB-1TE-2FL:
QB: Deshaun Watson | Stafford | Purdy | Hooker
RB: Saquon Barkley |DeVon Achane | Deuce
RB: Alvin Kamara | Joe Mixon / Chase Brown | Tucker
WR: Tyreek Hill | Rashee Rice | Tank Dell
WR: Stefon Diggs | DeVonta Smith | MWilliams | Claypool | C Austin
TE: Higbee | Likely | Chig Okonkwo | Strange
2023: 1, 2, 2, 3, 3, 3

DLF Premium League | 16 Team 1PPR 1QB-2WR-2RB-1TE-2FL:
QB: Joe Burrow | Mayfield | Hooker
RB: Saquon Barkley | Tank Bigsby | Deuce
RB: Alvin Kamara | Aaron Jones | JK Dobbins | Sean Tucker
WR: Ja'Marr Chase | Christian Watson | Hyatt | Shenault
WR: Keenan Allen | Marquise Brown | Calvin Ridley | Addison | Claypool | C Jones | Shakir
TE: Sam LaPorta | Strange | Jonnu
2023: 1, 2, 2, 2, 2, 2

Vcize
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Vcize » Fri Jan 15, 2021 12:26 pm

dynastyninja wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 11:53 am
Blueboy wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 11:51 am If Chubb is actually going for an early second there's no reason for anyone, even in a deep rebuild, to sell. That's a ludicrous price.
Mizelle's ADP has him at #14 and the 9th running back off the board. Not the gospel, but a useful measure.
Yeah and I mean I'm not sure I see anything wrong with that.

He's an awesome talent but he'll be entering his age 26 season with a career high finish of RB8 in PPG. And that was this year with everything going perfectly in Cleveland. The offensive line was one of the best in the league, the defense was good, the team was good, and there were very few negative game scripts that favored Hunt.

If Cleveland as a team fades next year, which is entirely reasonable (we see it with a huge bucket of playoff teams every year) then where does that leave him? Last year when the Browns weren't good Chubb was RB23 in PPG in the 8 games Hunt played.

So we have a guy sitting at RB9 who's best PPG finish when everything went perfectly was RB8, and who was RB23 PPG when everything didn't go perfectly and Hunt was around.

It's hard to reconcile because he's so good as a player, but as a fantasy asset as long as Hunt is around top 3 upside is hard to see, and the downside is plentiful if the Browns play more like the Browns and get into a bunch of negative game scripts that favor Hunt more. Tack the 26 year old age on top in an era where everyone starts getting scared when their RBs hit that age and it's not difficult to see why he lands around the RB9 area in value. It's a shame Hunt is there because Chubb is probably the most talented runner in the league.
12 Team FFPC TE Premium
QB: Herbert, Brady
RB: Barkley, Mixon, Jav Williams, Pierce, Drake
WR: Jefferson, AJ Brown, Metcalf, Hopkins, Peoples-Jones
TE: Kittle, Goedert

dynastyninja
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby dynastyninja » Fri Jan 15, 2021 12:41 pm

Vcize wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 12:26 pm
dynastyninja wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 11:53 am
Blueboy wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 11:51 am If Chubb is actually going for an early second there's no reason for anyone, even in a deep rebuild, to sell. That's a ludicrous price.
Mizelle's ADP has him at #14 and the 9th running back off the board. Not the gospel, but a useful measure.
Yeah and I mean I'm not sure I see anything wrong with that.

He's an awesome talent but he'll be entering his age 26 season with a career high finish of RB8 in PPG. And that was this year with everything going perfectly in Cleveland. The offensive line was one of the best in the league, the defense was good, the team was good, and there were very few negative game scripts that favored Hunt.

If Cleveland as a team fades next year, which is entirely reasonable (we see it with a huge bucket of playoff teams every year) then where does that leave him? Last year when the Browns weren't good Chubb was RB23 in PPG in the 8 games Hunt played.

So we have a guy sitting at RB9 who's best PPG finish when everything went perfectly was RB8, and who was RB23 PPG when everything didn't go perfectly and Hunt was around.

It's hard to reconcile because he's so good as a player, but as a fantasy asset as long as Hunt is around top 3 upside is hard to see, and the downside is plentiful if the Browns play more like the Browns and get into a bunch of negative game scripts that favor Hunt more. Tack the 26 year old age on top in an era where everyone starts getting scared when their RBs hit that age and it's not difficult to see why he lands around the RB9 area in value. It's a shame Hunt is there because Chubb is probably the most talented runner in the league.
I think I mostly agree with everything you're saying. If Chubb can sniff 20 carries/game, he's an RB1, and I think the Browns will continue to give him close to that. I'm not taking him 1.01 in a startup, but I like his current price.

Blueboy
All Pro
All Pro

Postby Blueboy » Fri Jan 15, 2021 1:57 pm

Disregard my incredulity, for some reason I thought Chubb's value was being equated to a 2nd round rookie pick, not startup value. That's a fair spot for him, though in non-Superflex I'm strongly considering him at the end of the 1st.

I agree with the sentiments both Vcize and dynastyninja have offered, Chubb is easily in the mix as the most talented RB in the league. I'm willing to pay up for that talent especially if it's at a slight discount, even if the situation isn't ideal.

12-team SF, PPR, TE premium, 0.25 PPCarry
1QB 2RB 2WR 1TE 1SF 4Flex
QB: Mahomes, Fields, Love
RB: Bijan, ETN, Pollard, Achane, Herbert
WR: Kupp, Hill, Metcalf, Ridley, Jeudy, D.J. M, Burks, Hollywood, Wan'Dale
TE: Kyle Pitts, Goedert

osubuckeyeman
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Nick Chubb's extension and Fantasy value.

Postby osubuckeyeman » Sat Jul 10, 2021 4:45 pm

Nick Chubb's extension and fantasy value.

https://youtu.be/CdOkn8NHyNY

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Nick Chubb Extension

Postby FantasyFreak » Sat Jul 31, 2021 4:35 pm

"You're a creep. You got caught.." -Dan Patrick

YouMightDieTryin
MVP
MVP

Re: Nick Chubb Extension

Postby YouMightDieTryin » Sat Jul 31, 2021 5:27 pm

He's going in!
10-Team Dynasty League QB/RB/RB/WR/WR/WR/FLEX (23 man rosters + 2 IR + 2 Taxi, non-PPR scoring)
QB: Herbert, Goff
RB: Bijan, JT, Saquon, J.Cook, K.Hunt, Foreman, Z.White, McKinnon, S.Tucker
WR: G.Wilson, Olave, Jeudy, Pittman, J.Williams, OBJ, N. Brown, JuJu,
TE: Chig, Conklin, L. Thomas
Taxi: M.Mims, Ro. Johnson
'24: (4) 1sts, 2nd, (2) 3rds, 4th
'25: (2) 1sts, 2nd, 3rd, 4th

Shoreline Steamers
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby Shoreline Steamers » Sat Jul 31, 2021 5:33 pm

Good for him, he deserved to get paid. $20mil guaranteed isn't too shabby.
14 Team, No-PPR, 20 Man Roster, TD Heavy, TD = 6, FG = 3, Start: QB, 2RB, 2WR, TE, Flex, K, D
QB: L. Jackson, B. Purdy, T. Lance
RB: J. Mixon, N. Chubb, A. Dillon, J. Cook, K. Mitchell, J. McLaughlin, Z. Evans
WR: J. Chase, C. Godwin, D. Johnson, J. Reed, C. Tillman
TE: TJ Hockenson, D. Njoku, B. Jordan

14 Team, .5 PPR, 18 Man Roster, Rush/Rec TD = 6, Pass TD = 4, FG = 3, Start: QB, 2RB, 2WR, TE, Flex, K, D
QB: L. Jackson, T. Tagovailoa
RB: B. Robinson, K. Walker, R. Stevenson, K. Herbertl
WR: C. Olave, T. Higgins, B. Aiyuk, N. Collins, Z. Flowers, M. Mims
TE: K. Pitts, D. Njoku

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Sat Jul 31, 2021 5:41 pm

YouMightDieTryin wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 5:27 pm He's going in!
I just realized I posted about Chubb and extension as back to back words. Cue the jokes. :lol:
"You're a creep. You got caught.." -Dan Patrick

Valhalla
Legend
Legend

Postby Valhalla » Sat Jul 31, 2021 7:55 pm

Not an overly lengthy extension, but it has some girth. Overall it’s pretty solid.

mild
Legend
Legend

Postby mild » Sat Jul 31, 2021 8:14 pm

FantasyFreak wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 5:41 pm
YouMightDieTryin wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 5:27 pm He's going in!
I just realized I posted about Chubb and extension as back to back words. Cue the jokes. :lol:
FantasyFreak!!! You're back!!

I legitimately missed you :lol: