Why canceling sports seasons is the most selfish thing to do

Politics, world events, under-water basket weaving, everything goes in this forum. Please keep it respectful at all times.
TheNuts
Starter
Starter
Posts: 728
Joined: Wed May 08, 2019 4:56 am

Why canceling sports seasons is the most selfish thing to do

Postby TheNuts » Wed Aug 12, 2020 2:48 am

The one caveat I would agree to is a school wanting to avoid liability, but that can be worked around. Have the players sign an agreement not to sue the school. If a player feels like it's too risky to play, then they do not have to play since the alternative was the season being canceled anyway.

The economic impact on the people who depend on these games cannot be stated enough. Yes we should have a stimulus, but the less government stimulus we spend on people the better off our country will be financially. Not to even mention the impact sitting at home unemployed has on ones mental state. Trust me, I was there sitting at home for months hoping for work. I am not a person who deals with any type of depression, and even I started to feel pretty down.

I also can't buy the argument about not forgiving ourselves if a player died over this. Of course I don't want a single player to die over this or have any lasting impact if they got covid, but this is a dangerous sport as it is. Would football shut down if a player was paralyzed or died on the field? No, it wouldn't, because it has happened before, and the game still goes on. We are taking chances away from these players, which for some of them it's their only way out of the poor situation that they grew up in. You're going to tell me that they wouldn't risk getting out of there because of covid? Also keeping players on the field keeps some of them more out of trouble.
12 team ppr 4 point pass td

Murray, Minshew
Singletary, Lindsay, Samuels, Ty Johnson
Chark, Arob, Woods, Diontae, Nkeal, Lazard, Conley, Cole, Dorsett
Higbee, Jarwin, Dissly
Gould, Patriots

14 team ppr superflex, .2 ppc, WR 25% ppr bonus, TE ppr bonus 75%

Mayfield, Minshew, Trubisky, Foles, Hill
Djohns, Singletary, Fournette, Harris, Armstead, Ogunbawale, Samuels
Julio, Arob, Woods, Sims Jr, Claypool, Duvernay, Isabella, Conley, Tyrell
Waller, Hurst, Jarwin, Boyle

12 team ppr 4 point pass td, superflex, 1.5 TE ppr

Goff, Minshew, Hill, Alllen, Walker
Chubb, Taylor, Henry, Singletary, David Johnson, Damien Harris, Hyde, Boone, Blasingame
Tyreek, Boyd, Diontae, Marvin Jones, Pittman, Nkeal, Duvernay, Sims Jr, Stills
Waller, Higbee, Arnold, Olsen, Parkinson, Sample

20 team ppr 6 point pass td, .05 point per return yard

Matt Ryan
Fournette, Singletary, Harris, Cohen, Duke Johnson, Trey Edmunds
Davante Adams, Tyreek, Sutton, Boyd, Dorsett, Tyrell
Kittle, Jarwin, Oliver

millworkguy
Starter
Starter
Posts: 729
Joined: Wed Jul 13, 2016 6:09 pm
Location: Right here

Re: Why canceling sports seasons is the most selfish thing to do

Postby millworkguy » Wed Aug 12, 2020 3:36 am

I think you need to look at the definition of selfish-

Lacking consideration of others, to be concerned with ones own pleasure.

Cancelling sports isnt about an individual, its about all the athletes, and because they WOULD risk everything to get the opportunity, and that is the best reason why it needs to be cancelled. To keep them ALL safe and get us past covid so everyone can get back to work.

In other words, your argument is all about the athletes being selfish, wanting people to risk their lives so they may get a chance to play nfl football.

Yes, I've been at home for 5 months as well
PPR IDP Contract Cap:
ConF (16 Team)
DAF (16 team)
DW2- Co-Commish (16 Team)

PPR IDP Salary Cap:
Hardcore - LAC (32 team)
T1 - Commish (12 team)
T2 - Commish (16 Team)

TheNuts
Starter
Starter
Posts: 728
Joined: Wed May 08, 2019 4:56 am

Re: Why canceling sports seasons is the most selfish thing to do

Postby TheNuts » Wed Aug 12, 2020 5:01 am

millworkguy wrote:
Wed Aug 12, 2020 3:36 am
I think you need to look at the definition of selfish-

Lacking consideration of others, to be concerned with ones own pleasure.

Cancelling sports isnt about an individual, its about all the athletes, and because they WOULD risk everything to get the opportunity, and that is the best reason why it needs to be cancelled. To keep them ALL safe and get us past covid so everyone can get back to work.

In other words, your argument is all about the athletes being selfish, wanting people to risk their lives so they may get a chance to play nfl football.

Yes, I've been at home for 5 months as well
It is selfish. People want to selfishly feel like they are the guardian angel of everyone. The majority of players, coaches, and fans want the game to be played. But none of that matters? Players aren't being forced to play at all. They can opt out and their decision will be supported.
12 team ppr 4 point pass td

Murray, Minshew
Singletary, Lindsay, Samuels, Ty Johnson
Chark, Arob, Woods, Diontae, Nkeal, Lazard, Conley, Cole, Dorsett
Higbee, Jarwin, Dissly
Gould, Patriots

14 team ppr superflex, .2 ppc, WR 25% ppr bonus, TE ppr bonus 75%

Mayfield, Minshew, Trubisky, Foles, Hill
Djohns, Singletary, Fournette, Harris, Armstead, Ogunbawale, Samuels
Julio, Arob, Woods, Sims Jr, Claypool, Duvernay, Isabella, Conley, Tyrell
Waller, Hurst, Jarwin, Boyle

12 team ppr 4 point pass td, superflex, 1.5 TE ppr

Goff, Minshew, Hill, Alllen, Walker
Chubb, Taylor, Henry, Singletary, David Johnson, Damien Harris, Hyde, Boone, Blasingame
Tyreek, Boyd, Diontae, Marvin Jones, Pittman, Nkeal, Duvernay, Sims Jr, Stills
Waller, Higbee, Arnold, Olsen, Parkinson, Sample

20 team ppr 6 point pass td, .05 point per return yard

Matt Ryan
Fournette, Singletary, Harris, Cohen, Duke Johnson, Trey Edmunds
Davante Adams, Tyreek, Sutton, Boyd, Dorsett, Tyrell
Kittle, Jarwin, Oliver

TheNuts
Starter
Starter
Posts: 728
Joined: Wed May 08, 2019 4:56 am

Re: Why canceling sports seasons is the most selfish thing to do

Postby TheNuts » Wed Aug 12, 2020 5:05 am

It's really disgusting to me that people feel like they need to stop others from taking a risk they are more than willing to take. If you don't want that risk, more power to you. Stay home. This virus isn't going to just disappear unless we literally told everyone to stay home no matter what for a few months. Which of course would do far more damage than the virus could do. So you continue to stay in your home bubble, while those of us who understand life involves risk will continue to go about our lives
12 team ppr 4 point pass td

Murray, Minshew
Singletary, Lindsay, Samuels, Ty Johnson
Chark, Arob, Woods, Diontae, Nkeal, Lazard, Conley, Cole, Dorsett
Higbee, Jarwin, Dissly
Gould, Patriots

14 team ppr superflex, .2 ppc, WR 25% ppr bonus, TE ppr bonus 75%

Mayfield, Minshew, Trubisky, Foles, Hill
Djohns, Singletary, Fournette, Harris, Armstead, Ogunbawale, Samuels
Julio, Arob, Woods, Sims Jr, Claypool, Duvernay, Isabella, Conley, Tyrell
Waller, Hurst, Jarwin, Boyle

12 team ppr 4 point pass td, superflex, 1.5 TE ppr

Goff, Minshew, Hill, Alllen, Walker
Chubb, Taylor, Henry, Singletary, David Johnson, Damien Harris, Hyde, Boone, Blasingame
Tyreek, Boyd, Diontae, Marvin Jones, Pittman, Nkeal, Duvernay, Sims Jr, Stills
Waller, Higbee, Arnold, Olsen, Parkinson, Sample

20 team ppr 6 point pass td, .05 point per return yard

Matt Ryan
Fournette, Singletary, Harris, Cohen, Duke Johnson, Trey Edmunds
Davante Adams, Tyreek, Sutton, Boyd, Dorsett, Tyrell
Kittle, Jarwin, Oliver

millworkguy
Starter
Starter
Posts: 729
Joined: Wed Jul 13, 2016 6:09 pm
Location: Right here

Re: Why canceling sports seasons is the most selfish thing to do

Postby millworkguy » Wed Aug 12, 2020 5:10 am

TheNuts wrote:
Wed Aug 12, 2020 5:05 am
It's really disgusting to me that people feel like they need to stop others from taking a risk they are more than willing to take. If you don't want that risk, more power to you. Stay home. This virus isn't going to just disappear unless we literally told everyone to stay home no matter what for a few months. Which of course would do far more damage than the virus could do. So you continue to stay in your home bubble, while those of us who understand life involves risk will continue to go about our lives

That's a 180 turn from your "selfish" rant that you started with. Of course life involves risk, much of it we can protect ourselves from (seatbelts, not smoking , healthy lifestyle, condoms) they dont have a safe football model yet, do they?

A few other risks society stops you from :
-Drinking and driving
-Wear a seatbelt/helmet on a motorcycle in some states
-Hard hats on construction sites
-lower speed limit where road construction is occurring
-no standing on a plane during takeoff
-smoking crack

Do you object to all of those as well?
PPR IDP Contract Cap:
ConF (16 Team)
DAF (16 team)
DW2- Co-Commish (16 Team)

PPR IDP Salary Cap:
Hardcore - LAC (32 team)
T1 - Commish (12 team)
T2 - Commish (16 Team)

millworkguy
Starter
Starter
Posts: 729
Joined: Wed Jul 13, 2016 6:09 pm
Location: Right here

Re: Why canceling sports seasons is the most selfish thing to do

Postby millworkguy » Wed Aug 12, 2020 5:33 am

TheNuts wrote:
Wed Aug 12, 2020 5:01 am
millworkguy wrote:
Wed Aug 12, 2020 3:36 am
I think you need to look at the definition of selfish-

Lacking consideration of others, to be concerned with ones own pleasure.

Cancelling sports isnt about an individual, its about all the athletes, and because they WOULD risk everything to get the opportunity, and that is the best reason why it needs to be cancelled. To keep them ALL safe and get us past covid so everyone can get back to work.

In other words, your argument is all about the athletes being selfish, wanting people to risk their lives so they may get a chance to play nfl football.

Yes, I've been at home for 5 months as well
It is selfish. People want to selfishly feel like they are the guardian angel of everyone. The majority of players, coaches, and fans want the game to be played. But none of that matters? Players aren't being forced to play at all. They can opt out and their decision will be supported.
Please cite your source "the majority of players, coaches want the game"

You do realize that there is 893 college football programs (across all levels) with 105 players allowed on each team. Include another 15 coaches and 7 officials for each game you have almost 110,000 people required so that 192 will be drafted (0.2% if players). Being selfish is expecting 109,808 people to risk their lives for those who get drafted.
PPR IDP Contract Cap:
ConF (16 Team)
DAF (16 team)
DW2- Co-Commish (16 Team)

PPR IDP Salary Cap:
Hardcore - LAC (32 team)
T1 - Commish (12 team)
T2 - Commish (16 Team)

abloom
Legend
Legend
Posts: 5057
Joined: Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:33 am

Re: Why canceling sports seasons is the most selfish thing to do

Postby abloom » Wed Aug 12, 2020 6:41 am

you are just incorrect. It is in fact the exactly opposite of selfish its selfless.

Every single sport owner/college/university is going to be losing a ton of money by canceling the season. However they realize that by doing so, they are preventing a critical avenue for Covid19 spread. Covid19 may not have significant risk or lasting impacts (thought his is still being researched) on younger/healthier people such as athletes, however it is just as infectious. Replacing in person learning with online learning, eliminating sporting events, and general social distancing and mask wearing, greatly reduces the infection rate of Covid19 and in the end will result in saving a large amount of lives.
The economic impact on the people who depend on these games cannot be stated enough. Yes we should have a stimulus, but the less government stimulus we spend on people the better off our country will be financially. Not to even mention the impact sitting at home unemployed has on ones mental state.
It is not the responsibility of individuals/institutions to provide for people, it is the responsibility of the government to ensure that it's population is safe and able to thrive. Just because all too often governments do not help all of the people it should, does not mean that that responsibility suddenly shifts to individuals/institutions.
I also can't buy the argument about not forgiving ourselves if a player died over this. Of course I don't want a single player to die over this or have any lasting impact if they got covid, but this is a dangerous sport as it is. Would football shut down if a player was paralyzed or died on the field?
Its not about just the player, its about everyone. Football would shut down if suddenly everyone was getting paralyzed, fortunately we already have precautions in place (helmets, pads, rules, etc) to significantly decrease the rate of paralysis and death. Furthermore, elderly and immunocompromised people are not at greater risk of becoming paralyzed because a player plays football, they are however at greater risk of dying from Covid19 due to players playing football.
Trust me, I was there sitting at home for months hoping for work. I am not a person who deals with any type of depression, and even I started to feel pretty down.
For someone bashing an entity for being "selfish" you seem to be very concerned about your own well being when staying home.
You're going to tell me that they wouldn't risk getting out of there because of covid? Also keeping players on the field keeps some of them more out of trouble.
Again you're saying that the players should be selfish because it benefits them.
It's really disgusting to me that people feel like they need to stop others from taking a risk they are more than willing to take. If you don't want that risk, more power to you. Stay home. This virus isn't going to just disappear unless we literally told everyone to stay home no matter what for a few months. Which of course would do far more damage than the virus could do. So you continue to stay in your home bubble, while those of us who understand life involves risk will continue to go about our lives
We do this all the time in society. Drunk driving is illegal. Purchasing alcohol under the age of 21 is illegal. Illegal drugs are... well... illegal. You get fined/license suspended for driving more than the speed limit. These are just a few obvious things. With Covid19 this is compounded further by people not being properly informed about the virulence, infectiousness, symptoms, and severity of the virus.

While in general, I'm all for you can take your own risks, that ability to make those choices stop when it affects other people. The more people who do not properly social distance, wear masks, and quarantine when appropriate, the more people will die and its not necessarily those who are making the choice to not not do those things.
Dynasty Team #1: 5-1 (2nd place)
2019 2nd Place
12 team, 1 ppr (1.5 te), 1Q,2R,2W,1T,2F,1D,1K

Q: Wentz,Tannehill
R: CMC(IR),Taylor,Robinson,Fournette,Burkhead,Hill,Peterson,Armstead(IR)
W: OBJ,Evans,Edelman,Cobb,D.Moore,MVS,Cole
T: Goedert(IR),Henry,Dissly
D: NE,BAL
K: Zurlein

2021 Picks: 1,4,5,6,7
---
Dynasty Team #2: 6-0 (1st place)
2019 3rd place
12 team, 1ppr (1.5 te), 1Q,2R,2W,1T,1SF,1F,1D,1K

Q: Wilson, Murray, Cousins, K Allen, Trubisky
R: Cook, Dobbins, Swift, Monty, Ingram, Michel(IR), Mattison
W: Nuk, Godwin, Metcalf, Edwards, Fulgham, Harry, Sutton(IR)
T: Kelce
K: Boswell
D: PIT

2021 picks: 1,1,2,3,4,5,6,7
---
DLF advice forum league: 1-5 (12th place)
14 team, SF, 1PPR (2PPR for TE), 1Q,2R,3W,1T,1SF,2F

Q: Mahomes ,Tua, Mullens, Love, Flacco, Hoyer, Rypien, Bethard
R: Michel, Moss, Hyde, Bernard, Richard, Darrel Williams, Damien Williams, C Thompson
W: Juju, Cooper, Allen, Sanders, D Moore
T: Schultz, Doyle, Asiasi, Thomas

2021 Picks: 1,1,1,2,3,4

TheNuts
Starter
Starter
Posts: 728
Joined: Wed May 08, 2019 4:56 am

Re: Why canceling sports seasons is the most selfish thing to do

Postby TheNuts » Wed Aug 12, 2020 7:28 am

abloom wrote:
Wed Aug 12, 2020 6:41 am
you are just incorrect. It is in fact the exactly opposite of selfish its selfless.

Every single sport owner/college/university is going to be losing a ton of money by canceling the season. However they realize that by doing so, they are preventing a critical avenue for Covid19 spread. Covid19 may not have significant risk or lasting impacts (thought his is still being researched) on younger/healthier people such as athletes, however it is just as infectious. Replacing in person learning with online learning, eliminating sporting events, and general social distancing and mask wearing, greatly reduces the infection rate of Covid19 and in the end will result in saving a large amount of lives.
The economic impact on the people who depend on these games cannot be stated enough. Yes we should have a stimulus, but the less government stimulus we spend on people the better off our country will be financially. Not to even mention the impact sitting at home unemployed has on ones mental state.
It is not the responsibility of individuals/institutions to provide for people, it is the responsibility of the government to ensure that it's population is safe and able to thrive. Just because all too often governments do not help all of the people it should, does not mean that that responsibility suddenly shifts to individuals/institutions.
I also can't buy the argument about not forgiving ourselves if a player died over this. Of course I don't want a single player to die over this or have any lasting impact if they got covid, but this is a dangerous sport as it is. Would football shut down if a player was paralyzed or died on the field?
Its not about just the player, its about everyone. Football would shut down if suddenly everyone was getting paralyzed, fortunately we already have precautions in place (helmets, pads, rules, etc) to significantly decrease the rate of paralysis and death. Furthermore, elderly and immunocompromised people are not at greater risk of becoming paralyzed because a player plays football, they are however at greater risk of dying from Covid19 due to players playing football.
Trust me, I was there sitting at home for months hoping for work. I am not a person who deals with any type of depression, and even I started to feel pretty down.
For someone bashing an entity for being "selfish" you seem to be very concerned about your own well being when staying home.
You're going to tell me that they wouldn't risk getting out of there because of covid? Also keeping players on the field keeps some of them more out of trouble.
Again you're saying that the players should be selfish because it benefits them.
It's really disgusting to me that people feel like they need to stop others from taking a risk they are more than willing to take. If you don't want that risk, more power to you. Stay home. This virus isn't going to just disappear unless we literally told everyone to stay home no matter what for a few months. Which of course would do far more damage than the virus could do. So you continue to stay in your home bubble, while those of us who understand life involves risk will continue to go about our lives
We do this all the time in society. Drunk driving is illegal. Purchasing alcohol under the age of 21 is illegal. Illegal drugs are... well... illegal. You get fined/license suspended for driving more than the speed limit. These are just a few obvious things. With Covid19 this is compounded further by people not being properly informed about the virulence, infectiousness, symptoms, and severity of the virus.

While in general, I'm all for you can take your own risks, that ability to make those choices stop when it affects other people. The more people who do not properly social distance, wear masks, and quarantine when appropriate, the more people will die and its not necessarily those who are making the choice to not not do those things.
Not being informed? What a joke. I am informed and I see the numbers. I see all of it. The economic impact. The impact on people's health. I barely even watch college football and will not be impacted if they canceled. I also don't see a negative impact on cancelation on my football leagues. If anything it allows more days for the NFL, which would benefit me personally.

You act like players are being forced to play, or almost don't even want to play football. If only a small percent of players get drafted, why are there so many people even playing football then? Your argument holds zero water.

I was just stating how it affected me to sit home, which less jobs because of a pussified country means more people sitting home. I'm not even someone who deals with depression and it started to really affect me. You can't count the different ways shutting down something like football negatively affects so many people. The peple like you are way too narrow minded to be trusted with any decision. You are a danger to this country
12 team ppr 4 point pass td

Murray, Minshew
Singletary, Lindsay, Samuels, Ty Johnson
Chark, Arob, Woods, Diontae, Nkeal, Lazard, Conley, Cole, Dorsett
Higbee, Jarwin, Dissly
Gould, Patriots

14 team ppr superflex, .2 ppc, WR 25% ppr bonus, TE ppr bonus 75%

Mayfield, Minshew, Trubisky, Foles, Hill
Djohns, Singletary, Fournette, Harris, Armstead, Ogunbawale, Samuels
Julio, Arob, Woods, Sims Jr, Claypool, Duvernay, Isabella, Conley, Tyrell
Waller, Hurst, Jarwin, Boyle

12 team ppr 4 point pass td, superflex, 1.5 TE ppr

Goff, Minshew, Hill, Alllen, Walker
Chubb, Taylor, Henry, Singletary, David Johnson, Damien Harris, Hyde, Boone, Blasingame
Tyreek, Boyd, Diontae, Marvin Jones, Pittman, Nkeal, Duvernay, Sims Jr, Stills
Waller, Higbee, Arnold, Olsen, Parkinson, Sample

20 team ppr 6 point pass td, .05 point per return yard

Matt Ryan
Fournette, Singletary, Harris, Cohen, Duke Johnson, Trey Edmunds
Davante Adams, Tyreek, Sutton, Boyd, Dorsett, Tyrell
Kittle, Jarwin, Oliver

millworkguy
Starter
Starter
Posts: 729
Joined: Wed Jul 13, 2016 6:09 pm
Location: Right here

Re: Why canceling sports seasons is the most selfish thing to do

Postby millworkguy » Wed Aug 12, 2020 7:30 am

Your right, let's have the majority make the decisions, Hillary Clinton is now the president. (As she won the popular vote,)
PPR IDP Contract Cap:
ConF (16 Team)
DAF (16 team)
DW2- Co-Commish (16 Team)

PPR IDP Salary Cap:
Hardcore - LAC (32 team)
T1 - Commish (12 team)
T2 - Commish (16 Team)

TheNuts
Starter
Starter
Posts: 728
Joined: Wed May 08, 2019 4:56 am

Re: Why canceling sports seasons is the most selfish thing to do

Postby TheNuts » Wed Aug 12, 2020 7:40 am

millworkguy wrote:
Wed Aug 12, 2020 7:30 am
Your right, let's have the majority make the decisions, Hillary Clinton is now the president. (As she won the popular vote,)
We would be screwed as a country but that's a different topic.

Comparing someone driving drunk to covid 🤣🤣

Why not force everyone to stay home at all times? No one will die from the flu, car accidents, anything that can harm us in the world. That is super safe
12 team ppr 4 point pass td

Murray, Minshew
Singletary, Lindsay, Samuels, Ty Johnson
Chark, Arob, Woods, Diontae, Nkeal, Lazard, Conley, Cole, Dorsett
Higbee, Jarwin, Dissly
Gould, Patriots

14 team ppr superflex, .2 ppc, WR 25% ppr bonus, TE ppr bonus 75%

Mayfield, Minshew, Trubisky, Foles, Hill
Djohns, Singletary, Fournette, Harris, Armstead, Ogunbawale, Samuels
Julio, Arob, Woods, Sims Jr, Claypool, Duvernay, Isabella, Conley, Tyrell
Waller, Hurst, Jarwin, Boyle

12 team ppr 4 point pass td, superflex, 1.5 TE ppr

Goff, Minshew, Hill, Alllen, Walker
Chubb, Taylor, Henry, Singletary, David Johnson, Damien Harris, Hyde, Boone, Blasingame
Tyreek, Boyd, Diontae, Marvin Jones, Pittman, Nkeal, Duvernay, Sims Jr, Stills
Waller, Higbee, Arnold, Olsen, Parkinson, Sample

20 team ppr 6 point pass td, .05 point per return yard

Matt Ryan
Fournette, Singletary, Harris, Cohen, Duke Johnson, Trey Edmunds
Davante Adams, Tyreek, Sutton, Boyd, Dorsett, Tyrell
Kittle, Jarwin, Oliver

abloom
Legend
Legend
Posts: 5057
Joined: Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:33 am

Re: Why canceling sports seasons is the most selfish thing to do

Postby abloom » Wed Aug 12, 2020 7:52 am

TheNuts wrote:
Wed Aug 12, 2020 7:28 am
abloom wrote:
Wed Aug 12, 2020 6:41 am
you are just incorrect. It is in fact the exactly opposite of selfish its selfless.

Every single sport owner/college/university is going to be losing a ton of money by canceling the season. However they realize that by doing so, they are preventing a critical avenue for Covid19 spread. Covid19 may not have significant risk or lasting impacts (thought his is still being researched) on younger/healthier people such as athletes, however it is just as infectious. Replacing in person learning with online learning, eliminating sporting events, and general social distancing and mask wearing, greatly reduces the infection rate of Covid19 and in the end will result in saving a large amount of lives.
The economic impact on the people who depend on these games cannot be stated enough. Yes we should have a stimulus, but the less government stimulus we spend on people the better off our country will be financially. Not to even mention the impact sitting at home unemployed has on ones mental state.
It is not the responsibility of individuals/institutions to provide for people, it is the responsibility of the government to ensure that it's population is safe and able to thrive. Just because all too often governments do not help all of the people it should, does not mean that that responsibility suddenly shifts to individuals/institutions.
I also can't buy the argument about not forgiving ourselves if a player died over this. Of course I don't want a single player to die over this or have any lasting impact if they got covid, but this is a dangerous sport as it is. Would football shut down if a player was paralyzed or died on the field?
Its not about just the player, its about everyone. Football would shut down if suddenly everyone was getting paralyzed, fortunately we already have precautions in place (helmets, pads, rules, etc) to significantly decrease the rate of paralysis and death. Furthermore, elderly and immunocompromised people are not at greater risk of becoming paralyzed because a player plays football, they are however at greater risk of dying from Covid19 due to players playing football.
Trust me, I was there sitting at home for months hoping for work. I am not a person who deals with any type of depression, and even I started to feel pretty down.
For someone bashing an entity for being "selfish" you seem to be very concerned about your own well being when staying home.
You're going to tell me that they wouldn't risk getting out of there because of covid? Also keeping players on the field keeps some of them more out of trouble.
Again you're saying that the players should be selfish because it benefits them.
It's really disgusting to me that people feel like they need to stop others from taking a risk they are more than willing to take. If you don't want that risk, more power to you. Stay home. This virus isn't going to just disappear unless we literally told everyone to stay home no matter what for a few months. Which of course would do far more damage than the virus could do. So you continue to stay in your home bubble, while those of us who understand life involves risk will continue to go about our lives
We do this all the time in society. Drunk driving is illegal. Purchasing alcohol under the age of 21 is illegal. Illegal drugs are... well... illegal. You get fined/license suspended for driving more than the speed limit. These are just a few obvious things. With Covid19 this is compounded further by people not being properly informed about the virulence, infectiousness, symptoms, and severity of the virus.

While in general, I'm all for you can take your own risks, that ability to make those choices stop when it affects other people. The more people who do not properly social distance, wear masks, and quarantine when appropriate, the more people will die and its not necessarily those who are making the choice to not not do those things.
Not being informed? What a joke. I am informed and I see the numbers. I see all of it. The economic impact. The impact on people's health. I barely even watch college football and will not be impacted if they canceled. I also don't see a negative impact on cancelation on my football leagues. If anything it allows more days for the NFL, which would benefit me personally.

You act like players are being forced to play, or almost don't even want to play football. If only a small percent of players get drafted, why are there so many people even playing football then? Your argument holds zero water.

I was just stating how it affected me to sit home, which less jobs because of a pussified country means more people sitting home. I'm not even someone who deals with depression and it started to really affect me. You can't count the different ways shutting down something like football negatively affects so many people. The peple like you are way too narrow minded to be trusted with any decision. You are a danger to this country
You seem to not understand what I'm saying. I'm saying that the health and well being of the college players is not what the concern is, it is the health and well being of the entire population as a whole. No idea what you mean by people like me, unless you mean informed scientists. Just fyi, data shows that if people like me were in charge of the country, college and professional sports would be able to be run under certain circumstances because the general positivity rate would be much lower than what it is now.
Dynasty Team #1: 5-1 (2nd place)
2019 2nd Place
12 team, 1 ppr (1.5 te), 1Q,2R,2W,1T,2F,1D,1K

Q: Wentz,Tannehill
R: CMC(IR),Taylor,Robinson,Fournette,Burkhead,Hill,Peterson,Armstead(IR)
W: OBJ,Evans,Edelman,Cobb,D.Moore,MVS,Cole
T: Goedert(IR),Henry,Dissly
D: NE,BAL
K: Zurlein

2021 Picks: 1,4,5,6,7
---
Dynasty Team #2: 6-0 (1st place)
2019 3rd place
12 team, 1ppr (1.5 te), 1Q,2R,2W,1T,1SF,1F,1D,1K

Q: Wilson, Murray, Cousins, K Allen, Trubisky
R: Cook, Dobbins, Swift, Monty, Ingram, Michel(IR), Mattison
W: Nuk, Godwin, Metcalf, Edwards, Fulgham, Harry, Sutton(IR)
T: Kelce
K: Boswell
D: PIT

2021 picks: 1,1,2,3,4,5,6,7
---
DLF advice forum league: 1-5 (12th place)
14 team, SF, 1PPR (2PPR for TE), 1Q,2R,3W,1T,1SF,2F

Q: Mahomes ,Tua, Mullens, Love, Flacco, Hoyer, Rypien, Bethard
R: Michel, Moss, Hyde, Bernard, Richard, Darrel Williams, Damien Williams, C Thompson
W: Juju, Cooper, Allen, Sanders, D Moore
T: Schultz, Doyle, Asiasi, Thomas

2021 Picks: 1,1,1,2,3,4

millworkguy
Starter
Starter
Posts: 729
Joined: Wed Jul 13, 2016 6:09 pm
Location: Right here

Re: Why canceling sports seasons is the most selfish thing to do

Postby millworkguy » Wed Aug 12, 2020 7:57 am

What's laughable is your changing arguments, Covid is on pace to be the #3 cause of death in the United States this year.
TheNuts wrote:
Wed Aug 12, 2020 5:05 am
It's really disgusting to me that people feel like they need to stop others from taking a risk they are more than willing to take.
A drunk driver decides to get into a vehicle, start it, and then start driving, and you feel compelled to have an issue with their choice of risk .

Btw, drunk driving kills on average 10,000 Americans a year, covud has killed 16 times that in about 7 months
PPR IDP Contract Cap:
ConF (16 Team)
DAF (16 team)
DW2- Co-Commish (16 Team)

PPR IDP Salary Cap:
Hardcore - LAC (32 team)
T1 - Commish (12 team)
T2 - Commish (16 Team)

millworkguy
Starter
Starter
Posts: 729
Joined: Wed Jul 13, 2016 6:09 pm
Location: Right here

Re: Why canceling sports seasons is the most selfish thing to do

Postby millworkguy » Wed Aug 12, 2020 8:07 am

TheNuts wrote:
Wed Aug 12, 2020 7:40 am
millworkguy wrote:
Wed Aug 12, 2020 7:30 am
Your right, let's have the majority make the decisions, Hillary Clinton is now the president. (As she won the popular vote,)
We would be screwed as a country but that's a different topic.
Maybe if she was president, the death rate is the states would be closer to the world average of 97 per million rather then the 507 per million it is, and 120,000 Americans would still be alive.
PPR IDP Contract Cap:
ConF (16 Team)
DAF (16 team)
DW2- Co-Commish (16 Team)

PPR IDP Salary Cap:
Hardcore - LAC (32 team)
T1 - Commish (12 team)
T2 - Commish (16 Team)

User avatar
azthecrow
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler
Posts: 1073
Joined: Thu Apr 23, 2015 11:05 am

Re: Why canceling sports seasons is the most selfish thing to do

Postby azthecrow » Wed Aug 12, 2020 8:16 am

millworkguy wrote:
Wed Aug 12, 2020 8:07 am
TheNuts wrote:
Wed Aug 12, 2020 7:40 am
millworkguy wrote:
Wed Aug 12, 2020 7:30 am
Your right, let's have the majority make the decisions, Hillary Clinton is now the president. (As she won the popular vote,)
We would be screwed as a country but that's a different topic.
Maybe if she was president, the death rate is the states would be closer to the world average of 97 per million rather then the 507 per million it is, and 120,000 Americans would still be alive.
What’s the death rate for abortion which she is in favor of ?
800,000+ voiceless lives every year in the USA alone. People worried about “saving lives” should pay more attention to that.

User avatar
murphysxm
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler
Posts: 1468
Joined: Sun Jun 10, 2012 8:10 am

Re: Why canceling sports seasons is the most selfish thing to do

Postby murphysxm » Wed Aug 12, 2020 8:34 am

TheNuts wrote:
Wed Aug 12, 2020 5:05 am
It's really disgusting to me that people feel like they need to stop others from taking a risk they are more than willing to take. If you don't want that risk, more power to you. Stay home.
What is selfish is ignoring all the science and global evidence that the US is doing it wrong and then complaining that there's no sports on.


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest