COVID. The NON Fantasy football discussion

Politics, world events, under-water basket weaving, everything goes in this forum. Please keep it respectful at all times.
wickerkat1212
Starter
Starter

Re: COVID. The NON Fantasy football discussion

Postby wickerkat1212 » Tue Jul 07, 2020 10:06 am

Wasn't the polls. Was suppression, gerrymandering, hacking, cheating, and lies. ICYMI HRC won by 3 million votes. But let's focus on COVID in here, right? Not politics?

COVID is only getting worse, surging, highest single day of cases ever. Most cases in the world. This is so screwed up.
D3:
QB—Lamar, Allen, Big Ben, Tyrod
RB—EE, Henry, Cohen, Mostert, Evans (R), Coleman, Pollard
WR—MThomas, Diggs, Lamb (R), Lazard, Hardman, Renfrow, Beasley, Claypool
TE—Doyle, Jonnu, Thomas
PK—Zuerlein
DEF—Ravens

D4:
QB—Watson, Stafford, Tyrod
RB—Conner, David & Duke Johnson, Cohen, Howard, Breida, DWilliams, Edmonds
WR—Hill, Allen, Golladay, Jeudy (R), Jeffery, Jefferson (R), Amendola, Miller, Watson, Dorsett
TE—IThomas, LThomas, DArnold, Kmet, Trautman
PK—Prater
DEF—Bears

OhCruelestRanter
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby OhCruelestRanter » Tue Jul 07, 2020 3:55 pm

wickerkat1212 wrote:
Tue Jul 07, 2020 10:06 am
Wasn't the polls. Was suppression, gerrymandering, hacking, cheating, and lies. ICYMI HRC won by 3 million votes. But let's focus on COVID in here, right? Not politics?

COVID is only getting worse, surging, highest single day of cases ever. Most cases in the world. This is so screwed up.
I think for people like that guy, these concepts (Trump, COVID, Polls) are irrevocably bound to each other. His opinions on COVID will be whatever opinion makes Trump look best. It will never deviate from that formula. These types of people don’t think about things logically; rather, their brains operate like sports fans. They’re fans of Team Trump because he makes them feel good about their regressive worldview, or their relatively limited education. It doesn’t matter to them that they don’t understand the math behind the polls- that math is for DIRTY LIBRULS who look down on them. It’s more important to be able to shout SUCK IT LIBS, MAGA2020! to the people that make them feel inferior than it is to take the 30 seconds to learn about things like COVID-19 or how intelligent people read polls.
COOGAN IS A CHEATER AND A THIEF

wickerkat1212
Starter
Starter

Postby wickerkat1212 » Tue Jul 07, 2020 10:18 pm

OhCruelestRanter wrote:
Tue Jul 07, 2020 3:55 pm
wickerkat1212 wrote:

I think for people like that guy, these concepts (Trump, COVID, Polls) are irrevocably bound to each other. His opinions on COVID will be whatever opinion makes Trump look best. It will never deviate from that formula. These types of people don’t think about things logically; rather, their brains operate like sports fans. They’re fans of Team Trump because he makes them feel good about their regressive worldview, or their relatively limited education. It doesn’t matter to them that they don’t understand the math behind the polls- that math is for DIRTY LIBRULS who look down on them. It’s more important to be able to shout SUCK IT LIBS, MAGA2020! to the people that make them feel inferior than it is to take the 30 seconds to learn about things like COVID-19 or how intelligent people read polls.
Exactly. Agree. And that's why we have 3,000,000 cases with 133,000 deaths. JFC. Another 50,000 cases today. NOPE everything is just fine. I may be HOMESCHOOLING my high school kids in two months so they don't DIE.
D3:
TE—Doyle, Jonnu, Thomas
PK—Zuerlein
DEF—Ravens

D4:
WR—Hill, Allen, Golladay, Jeudy (R), Jeffery, Jefferson (R), Amendola, Miller, Watson, Dorsett
PK—Prater
DEF—Bears

murphysxm
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby murphysxm » Wed Jul 08, 2020 11:43 am

namecalling by either side isn't helpful. Trump is brilliant at creating divide. It is up to us to not take the bait. He is now talking about pulling funding for schools that don't open on time. Dude is delusional.

wickerkat1212
Starter
Starter

Postby wickerkat1212 » Wed Jul 08, 2020 1:19 pm

murphysxm wrote:
Wed Jul 08, 2020 11:43 am
namecalling by either side isn't helpful. Trump is brilliant at creating divide. It is up to us to not take the bait. He is now talking about pulling funding for schools that don't open on time. Dude is delusional.
We're beyond name calling. Screw that. People are dying and this JOKE of a WH/Pres are the catalyst for that death. I may have to homeschool my kids, 16. WTF?
D3:
TE—Doyle, Jonnu, Thomas
PK—Zuerlein
DEF—Ravens

D4:
PK—Prater
DEF—Bears

azthecrow
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby azthecrow » Wed Jul 08, 2020 6:13 pm

TheNuts wrote:
Mon Jul 06, 2020 3:43 am
OhCruelestRanter wrote:
Thu Jun 25, 2020 4:41 pm
Haha there was already an off-topic COVID thread!

In any case, part of this is our executive leadership consistently, predictably, and seemingly deliberately bungling the response. The irony is that nearly every other world leader is experiencing a polling bump for handling this thing responsibly; meanwhile Trump has mismanaged this with the explicit goal of helping the economy in a bid for re-election, and he’s clearly been hurt at the polls.

That’s just part of it, though. The other part is that we live in a country that now fears and resents expertise and knowledge. Undereducated folks on Facebook seem to refuse to admit that physicians and epidemiologists might know a bit more about what’s going on than they do. You see it here, too. Try to explain any type of data driven concept, and people lose their minds with rage because they were presented with data. We’re doing worse because we have people angrily refusing to wear a mask, and none of it is surprising. It’s just depressing.
Remember when polls said Hilary would win? Polls mean nothing
Yes, I do remember that. Right now the polls say Biden will win. Deja vu? :D

Orenthal Shames
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby Orenthal Shames » Thu Jul 09, 2020 1:05 pm

OhCruelestRanter wrote:
Tue Jul 07, 2020 3:55 pm
wickerkat1212 wrote:

How dare we worry about Covid when there is an elitist global baby blood drinking ring taking place right under our noses! :crazy:
16 team league
1 QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 TE, 2 Flex (RB/WR/TE)
26 man rosters - full point ppr
2015, 17, 18, 19 Champion

QB: Tannehill, Brees
RB: Kamara, CMC, Sanders, Davis, Murray, Scott
WR: Julio, Hill, KA, Hamler
TE: Kelce, Kittle

prinefan
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby prinefan » Fri Jul 10, 2020 8:49 am

What's ludicrous to me now is "some people" trying to blame Dr. Fauci. We're seeing stories from "some people" that he said to not wear masks in the beginning. Do "some people" not remember the other part of it? He didn't want the general public to use masks that would help keep first responders alive. According to "some people" what's happening now is China's fault, our scientist's fault, the Democratic Party's fault, the looter's fault, Obama's fault, the state's fault, etc., etc. I guess that's why "some people" have refused to lead us through this.

At least this virus will "melt away" and disappear by itself (if you believe "some people").

millworkguy
Starter
Starter

Postby millworkguy » Sun Jul 26, 2020 11:40 am

Right now covid is on pace to be the #3 cause of death this year in the states. Behind heart diseases and cancer. I don't get the not wearing a mask thing. No shoes, no shirt no service is ok. And yes you do have the right not to wear a mask, and to take your business elsewhere if you dont want to wear a mask in that store. but I have the right to work in a safe environment and the owner of the store has the right to ask you not to enter if you dont wear a mask. So wear a mask, so we can get back to things we love, rather then this b.s.
PPR IDP Contract Cap:
ConF (16 Team)
DAF (16 team)
DW2- Co-Commish (16 Team)

PPR IDP Salary Cap:
Hardcore - LAC (32 team)
T1 - Commish (12 team)
T2 - Commish (16 Team)

millworkguy
Starter
Starter

Postby millworkguy » Mon Jul 27, 2020 8:13 am

2 baseball games canceled for this evening, as 14 Marlins tested positive
PPR IDP Contract Cap:
ConF (16 Team)
DAF (16 team)

PPR IDP Salary Cap:
Hardcore - LAC (32 team)
T1 - Commish (12 team)
T2 - Commish (16 Team)

Ray Finkle
Captain
Captain

Postby Ray Finkle » Wed Jul 29, 2020 5:09 am

I have never understood why it needs to be so uncomfortable to discuss politics. Why do the majority of us have to dig in so deep? I’m fine with you feeling the need for a tax dollar funding one thing and my opinion being that it should fund something else just like I’m fine with you liking ketchup more than mustard even though I know that’s incorrect. I get that we all become passionate about certain things like abortion or the death penalty, which we should. The COVID topic quickly became the same way it seems as it has became intertwined with politics. Barf. I am very cautious these days. It’s a total bummer that my high risk mother who thankfully has been in remission the last decade has not been able to experience one second of month 12-18 of her newest granddaughter. As a family, we all agree that it’s not worth the risk of us visiting my parent’s home as of now. However, I have no problem hearing out someone’s opinion on why they aren’t “sold” on the pandemic and don’t believe there is as much risk. However, it’s such a turn off when either side digs in and gets all jerky toward the other side. I wish we could all try to be open minded and make decisions with others in mind, even if that means making sacrifices, which it does.

millworkguy
Starter
Starter

Postby millworkguy » Wed Jul 29, 2020 5:52 am

There has been a grow trend of changing the narrative, to suit an argument. Rather then listening to what each side wants to say, it becomes a face mask infringes on MY rights, Rather then hearing a scientific based argument for them. Furthermore, it ignores the rights of the person who asked you to put it on, and the person who owns the land your walking on. America was founded on freedoms, and I'm a firm believer that consent adults can do whatever they want with other consenting adults (in their own home). But we have been a society of "Me" rather than listening to each other anymore, and trying to find a common purpose. Things become political, when we ignore our ethics and let the majority do as they will.

I am allowed to say "no trespassing " I'm allowed to post "trespassers will be shot" but posting you must wear a mask to come onto my property becomes a rights issue. I dont get it. My "no shoes no shirt no service" poster has been up for 25 years without a single protest, or arguing about it their choice to come into my place naked.

The gun lobby changed the narrative in the 70's and 80's from an avid hunters group, to that of an organization dedicated to protect your rights from an intrusive government.
Last edited by millworkguy on Wed Jul 29, 2020 8:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
PPR IDP Contract Cap:
ConF (16 Team)
DAF (16 team)

PPR IDP Salary Cap:
Hardcore - LAC (32 team)
T1 - Commish (12 team)
T2 - Commish (16 Team)

Ray Finkle
Captain
Captain

Postby Ray Finkle » Wed Jul 29, 2020 7:52 am

I like your style @millworkguy. It’s like at some point in history our collective understandings of rights, freedoms, privileges, entitlements, opportunities and responsibilities, restrictions changed.

Short story...literally an hour ago, my wife texted me that a customer at the veterinarian office she works at called her a stupid c*nt this morning. She was called this after informing the customer that she cannot enter the office building due to the protocol put in place since the beginning of the pandemic. They do a great job there of staff only indoors while meeting 100% of customer needs which leaves us with very little concern of her going to work there. Can you even fathom calling someone that? This customer got that bent out of shape because this place of business is doing what is best (in that private business’s opinion) for everybody involved.

wickerkat1212
Starter
Starter

Postby wickerkat1212 » Wed Jul 29, 2020 10:50 am

"However, I have no problem hearing out someone’s opinion on why they aren’t “sold” on the pandemic and don’t believe there is as much risk."

Um, 152,000 deaths in the US alone. 661,000 in the world. Not sold? WOW. bleep that. It's a pandemic. When was the last time you saw our country shut down like this and STILL the death toll rises.

Sorry your wife got called that name, Ray. That's WAY out of line. I'd ban that customer for life. WTH is wrong with people?

I get frustrated when people don't trust the SCIENCE. We have the CDC, we have Fauci, we have experts telling us what to do and we can SEE how it is playing out in other countries. This pandemic has been handled HORRIBLY because Trump is an idiot.
D3:
TE—Doyle, Jonnu, Thomas
PK—Zuerlein
DEF—Ravens

D4:
PK—Prater
DEF—Bears

Ray Finkle
Captain
Captain

Postby Ray Finkle » Wed Jul 29, 2020 11:40 am

wickerkat1212 wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 10:50 am
"However, I have no problem hearing out someone’s opinion on why they aren’t “sold” on the pandemic and don’t believe there is as much risk."

Um, 152,000 deaths in the US alone. 661,000 in the world. Not sold? WOW. bleep that. It's a pandemic. When was the last time you saw our country shut down like this and STILL the death toll rises.
It sounds like you and I are in agreement concerning the pandemic. What I was saying is that if someone wants to state a case that some of the numbers don’t add up and maybe that some of the reporting hasn’t been 100% transparent, I have no problem with their viewpoint. I can’t tell them how to feel and what to think and who to trust. It’s a wild time. Most of us probably have some fluid thoughts and emotions from day to day surrounding all that is going. I know I do. When I watch the news and see the destruction this thing is doing in certain areas of the country, I feel one way. Then when talk to some dudes I know who sit on barstools every day during this pandemic like irresponsible dummy’s (imo) and have every one of them tell me that they have not heard of one single person in the local bar scene who has gotten it or even knows anybody who has, I might feel a little different those days. Not everybody is even the slightest bit worldly and a lot of the population is pigeonholed to their little community where it still doesn’t seem that crazy. For they do not know... What I don’t love is how so many have the “nobody can tell me to wear a mask” or “it’s no different than the flu” with an F that outlook. Likewise, I don’t like to bring that attitude toward someone who may be a little skeptical of some things. Personally, I’ll continue to wear my mask, keep my distance and pray to my God.