Investment Advice

Politics, world events, under-water basket weaving, everything goes in this forum. Please keep it respectful at all times.
MyTeam
MVP
MVP

Investment Advice

Postby MyTeam » Wed Jun 03, 2020 8:47 am

I recently started dabbling in the stock market and keep putting more and more money into it so I figured I would start a little forum for it and if anyone else has any advice they can drop it below.

Disclaimer: I am just saying what I bought and my reasoning for buying it. I am not a professional by any means. Just trying to help a few people out.

1. Right now is the time to buy. Everything is down.
2. Any travel or entertainment that is shut down from COVID should sky rocket soon.
3. Make sure the companies can make it through the shut down.

With that being said, here is what I have been buying in on.
1. Delta, Southwest and United Airlines.
2. Wynn, MGM, Eldorado Resorts
3. Established financial institutions: Discover, PNC, Metlife

Everything dropped a ton and it should be coming back up. Hopefully some more people can give advice too.
Team 1: 12 team, PPR
1QB, 2RB, 3WR, 1TE, 1Flex

Mahomes, Lawrence
Najee, Swift, Javonte, Jamaal W, Murray
DK, DJM, Juju, Jameson, Gallup, Van
Pitts, Friermuth
1.01, 1.04, 1.11, 1.12, 3.10, 2 firsts next year

Team 2: 12 Team, SF TEP (1.5 PPR)
1QB, 2RB, 3WR, 1TE, 2Flex, 1 SF

Mahomes, Burrow, Cousins, Rudolph
CEH, Swift, Gibson, Jacobs, Mattison, Scott, McFarland
DK, AJB, Ridley, McLaurin, Kupp, Landry, Mims, Hamler, Miller, Johnson, Robinson
Andrews, H. Henry, Sternberger, Alie-Cox, Herndon

Same as Team 2
Watson, Burrow, Lance, Z. Wilson
Pollard, Mattison
Chase, D. Smith, Boyd, Hardman, E. Moore, Cephus, A. Rodgers, Harry, Boykin, A. Tate, Miller
Hockenson, Thomas, Albert O, Njoku
3 additional firsts

Same as Team 2
TLaw, Burrow, Watson, Darnold
CEH, Gus, Cohen
Juju, Chark, Shenault, Boyd, Landry, Renfrow, Robinson,
Engram, Kmet, Firkser, Schultz, Arnold, Herndon
5 additional firsts

Paul717
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Re: Investment Advice

Postby Paul717 » Thu Jun 04, 2020 5:17 am

I'm interested in this thread but fear I don't have much to add, given most of our (my wife and I) savings are in 401k / retirement accounts. Meaning, mostly in mutual funds vs. individual stocks.

I would like to pass along an interesting book, for anyone debating the relative pros and cons of ROTH vs. Traditional 401ks: The Power of Zero, Revised and Updated : How to Get to the 0% Tax Bracket and Transform Your Retirement.

Link: https://www.thriftbooks.com/w/the-power ... q=32421800

Edit: Disclaimer, I am not a professional and folks should consult a professional on these topics!
"Marathon Square" - 16 team full PPR league with 24 player roster. Keep 16 per year indefinitely, draft 8. Start 1 QB, 2 RB, 3 WR, 1 TE, 1 K, 1 Team DST
QB: Jordan Love, Deshaun Watson
RB: Travis Etienne, Aaron Jones, Jamaal Williams, Kendre Miller, Jaleel McLaughlin, Sean Tucker, Deuce Vaughn
WR: A.J. Brown, Garrett Wilson, Tee Higgins, Calvin Ridley, Michael Wilson, Kendrick Bourne, Tutu Atwell, Allen Lazard, Isaiah Hodgins, Xavier Hutchinson
TE: T.J. Hockenson, Cole Kmet, Kylen Granson
K: Didn't make the playoffs in 2023 :cry: , and don't usually hold one in the offseason
Team DST: Cowboys, Lions

Picks:
2024: All my picks except 3rd rounder

Disclaimer: My one and only Championship in this league was way back in 2011. Therefore, take my replies with the appropriate grain of salt. :lol:

MyTeam
MVP
MVP

Postby MyTeam » Thu Jun 04, 2020 5:32 am

Paul717 wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 5:17 am I'm interested in this thread but fear I don't have much to add, given most of our (my wife and I) savings are in 401k / retirement accounts. Meaning, mostly in mutual funds vs. individual stocks.

I would like to pass along an interesting book, for anyone debating the relative pros and cons of ROTH vs. Traditional 401ks: The Power of Zero, Revised and Updated : How to Get to the 0% Tax Bracket and Transform Your Retirement.

Edit: Disclaimer, I am not a professional and folks should consult a professional on these topics!
I also most of my investing in my 401k. I just have some cash on the side that I like to mess around and invest. I think a 401k is probably the smarter method of saving for the future! Thanks for the addition to the topic!

Mahomes, Lawrence
Pitts, Friermuth

DK, AJB, Ridley, McLaurin, Kupp, Landry, Mims, Hamler, Miller, Johnson, Robinson

Same as Team 2
Pollard, Mattison
Chase, D. Smith, Boyd, Hardman, E. Moore, Cephus, A. Rodgers, Harry, Boykin, A. Tate, Miller
3 additional firsts

Same as Team 2
CEH, Gus, Cohen
5 additional firsts

MyTeam
MVP
MVP

Postby MyTeam » Thu Jun 04, 2020 5:34 am

My stock that I plan to target today: Boeing and Airbus

Should move right behind the airlines (which are going up) and they fell a long way but are too big to fail.

Mahomes, Lawrence
Pitts, Friermuth

Same as Team 2
Pollard, Mattison
3 additional firsts

Same as Team 2
CEH, Gus, Cohen
5 additional firsts

jessica21
Combine Attendee
Combine Attendee

Postby jessica21 » Tue Apr 05, 2022 1:07 am

Paul717 wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 5:17 am I'm interested in this thread but fear I don't have much to add, given most of our (my wife and I) savings are in 401k / retirement accounts. Meaning, mostly in mutual funds vs. individual stocks.

I work for subscription management bass organization. As per my knowledge every thing is moving on subscription base model. So I will advice to invest in such a business.
To reap the benefits the benefits of trading on day (imo) you require an account that is large. The purpose of Day trading is to lay money of money on the table and then GTFO after a small gain .....do which is 6 from 10. Eventually, your account will grow.

The reason it's not working when you have a small balance is due to the costs (again in my opinion). They consume all of your little profits, which means you'll need to choose winners eight out of ten times, which puts you back in the same position. In the end, you take on more risk that you can afford and then you end up bleeding.

The mentality of losing the balance of a swing account by a quarter or less is much easier to master than dropping the day trading account in just a matter of days.